THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 06:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime Recommendations?  (Read 262025 times)

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
Re: Anime Recommendations?
« Reply #300 on: 05 Nov 2008, 01:22 »

My friends also recommended One Piece, saying it was better than Death Note.

Your friends are silly. All of them.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #301 on: 05 Nov 2008, 06:52 »

Yeah...your friends are pretty silly.
I mean, One Piece is OK, but 1. it's really frickin' long, and 2. It's not even the in the same LEAGUE as Death Note...

Watch the first couple episodes and if you like it, keep going, but I'm serious when I say it is long as hell. (Wiki says that there aer 143 original episodes, but they were edited down to 104 for a US audience...or, at least I think that's what its saying). Plus, I kind of preferred reading the Manga. You can find that online for free.

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #302 on: 05 Nov 2008, 21:43 »

143?

I was told that right now there are 500+...

ThePQ4

« Reply #303 on: 05 Nov 2008, 22:20 »

Perhaps that is volume of Manga??
THat would be pretty insane for an anime...
But I just went off what it said on Wiki.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #304 on: 06 Nov 2008, 03:30 »

wikipedia says 375 episodes of anime and 51 volumes of manga each with about 8 chapters in them

so yeah it's fairly long and it's faily inane, i just lump it in with dbz, naruto and bleach and then go back to ignoring it, a few episodes enough to see the whole series in all honesty the only one i've watched alot of was dbz and i was aged in single digits at the time
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

ThePQ4

« Reply #305 on: 06 Nov 2008, 06:38 »

Oooooooh, I see it now. My bad, I read this part:
4Kids Entertainment licensed the series for an English language dubbed broadcast and release in North America. The 4Kids episodes aired in the United States on the Fox network as part of the Fox Box block, premiering on September 18, 2004. The episodes were heavily edited, with the first 143 episodes cut down to 104

Either way, that is a crazy number of episodes. I mean, I liked One Peice well enough, but it would probably take my entire external harddrive to download and save all of those...(or, well, pretty close) and that's just not worth watching...

I don't know what everyone has against Bleach...I mean, I kind of liked it...mind you, I haven't seen more then about 20 episodes, but still...

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #306 on: 06 Nov 2008, 08:00 »

My friends also recommended One Piece, saying it was better than Death Note. *shrug* Really, after DN, I saw the hype and understood why everyone loved it. L was the shit.

Have you read the manga as well? That's where it's at (well, actually, the anime is really good too, but Mello and Near are not fleshed out quite so much).
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #307 on: 06 Nov 2008, 12:07 »

Generally I hate all animes that are longer than 26 episodes.

This rule has not really failed me yet.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #308 on: 06 Nov 2008, 12:37 »

I find if I catch an anime early, like I did with Naruto, I'll be more inclined to follow it through if I think it's good enough.

Fuck catching up on 375 episodes though.

Also, I'm re-watching Samurai Champloo for the first time in about 2 years. Fuck goddamn, Samurai Champloo.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #309 on: 06 Nov 2008, 23:44 »

Yeah, there's nothing worse than the nasty combination of serial plots AND a ridiculous number of episodes. Most decent long running television programs consist of largely self-contained episodes for good reason; it's a bitch to plan out events over many episodes. It only gets worse when you consider the threat of cancellation or in the case of many manga adaptations, working to stay relatively consistent with a seperate ongoing work. Besides, there's no way in hell you're not repeating yourself by 300+ episodes.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Ikrik

« Reply #310 on: 07 Nov 2008, 05:57 »

Which ones have you hated? GTO, FMA, Death Note, Blood+?  Have you seen Eureka Seven?  If that doesn't fail your rule then I really don't know what will.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #311 on: 07 Nov 2008, 06:00 »

Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist tentacle rape your rule in all openings.

But it is actually a pretty good rule.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #312 on: 07 Nov 2008, 16:22 »

Well, I don't hate FMA.  I just don't particularly like it either.  And I can't remember much of what I've seen of Death Note, so.  Not too keen on Blood+ either.

As I think I said earlier in the thread, I tend to like a bit of Shoujo and a lot of the quirky, non-action stuff like Bartender or Welcome to the NHK.  Not too big on most Shonen.

Malek

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #313 on: 07 Nov 2008, 16:36 »

I recommend Lucky Star,i watch it Every Day =D

n0tj3sus

« Reply #314 on: 11 Nov 2008, 15:43 »

I myself have been meaning to get back into watching anime, but a few anime's  I can recommend from back in the day are;
elfen lied, trigun a few others but I’m blanking right now so this post is basically a waste of bandwidth >_>

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #315 on: 11 Nov 2008, 21:01 »

Which ones have you hated? GTO, FMA, Death Note?

I read the first two anime abbreviations as "GTFO". /random

My friends also recommended One Piece, saying it was better than Death Note. *shrug* Really, after DN, I saw the hype and understood why everyone loved it. L was the shit.

Have you read the manga as well? That's where it's at (well, actually, the anime is really good too, but Mello and Near are not fleshed out quite so much).

I read a bit of the manga. After the part where L intro'd himself, I just switched to the anime. When I finished the anime, I skimmed the last two manga novels - 12 and 13 (the "how to read" novel). It was fun to read the profiles of characters.

ThePQ4

« Reply #316 on: 12 Nov 2008, 07:00 »

Ummmm...the second comment was directed about One Piece, not Death Note...

I would have another rec. but unfortunately i cannot spell (or say actually) my newest favorite anime...I'll write it down tomorrow at Anbu and relay it back...

plumbob78

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ˇViva la revolución!
« Reply #317 on: 17 Nov 2008, 20:25 »

I bought the first season of Bleach and finished it in a day. I'd been dead set against watching that show, then went crazy one day and picked it up. Glad I did. I'm watching Great Teacher Onizuka now, and am pretty happy with it.

ThePQ4

« Reply #318 on: 17 Nov 2008, 20:40 »

Doki Doki High School
Comartie High School

Those are two favorites right now at Anbu.
Also, my boyfriend keeps going on about Trigun. I dunno, I haven't watched it yet.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #319 on: 18 Nov 2008, 04:46 »

Great Teacher Onizuka is a good anime, but honestly the live drama of it completely kicks its ass.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #320 on: 18 Nov 2008, 06:11 »

PQ, you're thinking of Cromartie High.  That's a pretty funny show, I guess, been a while since I watched it.

In gabbly last night I was trying to talk about Mononoke.  This was met by multiple agreements that yeah, they liked Mononoke and that they all had mad boners for Ashitaka.  They, of course, were talking about Princess Mononoke, which is good too, but you guys certainly don't need Miyazaki recommendations, because he's so famous. 

I'm talking about the show that's a spinoff of Ayakashi, and it's got this amazing storyline for every episode.  It's like if Poirot were in the Edo period, was surrounded by really fascinated Japanese mythology, had magical powers, and lost the mustache.  He would also be very interestingly animated in this instance.  It only has six episodes too, so it won't take up too much of your time.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #321 on: 18 Nov 2008, 06:14 »

I recommend Lucky Star,i watch it Every Day =D

I don't know why it is, but I dislike Lucky Star.  Love Azumanga Daioh though.

ThePQ4

« Reply #322 on: 18 Nov 2008, 06:40 »

PQ, you're thinking of Cromartie High. 

Yes. I simply cannot spell, that's all.
It is one of the only animes that my club will watch in English --simply because it is hilarious (it is an added bonus for me since I then only have to listen, I don't have to actually pay attention to know what's going on).

Usopp

« Reply #323 on: 23 Nov 2008, 15:20 »

Gonna say...

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and you might enjoy more if you can get the light novels
One Piece
Berserk, better in manga than anime
Fullmetal Alchemist
Black Heaven, if you can find it
Ouran High School Host Club for teh funniez
Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai X

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #324 on: 23 Nov 2008, 15:24 »

I started watching Death Note the other day and it does seem pretty good so far, for a shonen anime.

Ikrik

« Reply #325 on: 24 Nov 2008, 03:28 »

Death Note, as I believed we've discussed, is great and amazing up until a certain point where it just majorly falls apart.  It's clever and extremely tense and many of the scenes between L and Light are nailbiting. Then it gets to the point where you're bored and tired and just want the damn show to end.  Honestly it would have worked a lot better as a 26 episode ordeal rather than a 37. 

My friend recommends that everyone watch Casshern and Soul Eater, I haven't watched them yet but I will be soon.
She's also convinced me to start watching Shippuden...apparently that shit is DARK and Naruto actually grows the hell up.  Is anyone still watching it?

Usopp

« Reply #326 on: 24 Nov 2008, 11:42 »

Methinks I'd prefer the reading of Deathnote than the watching, because you can keep up with it at your own pace. I got all 12 of the books, and they were pretty text heavy, no matter what way you slice it, so I shudder to think what the anime did to alleviate that. However, I have heard some pretty good reviews of the anime, so I might be wrong.

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #327 on: 27 Nov 2008, 05:19 »

Most (well, all) of the handful I like have been mentioned.  So I'm just gonna back them up.

Ghost in the Shell, entire thing.
Cowboy Bebop.
Samurai Champloo.
FLCL (the timing with the music is what makes it so amazing.)
Berserk (manga is a thousand times better.)
Bleach (just don't pay attention to the plot or any dialogue and your brain should survive intact.)
Naruto Shippuuden (see above.)
Trigun.
Noir (friend recommended it.  I don't like it much, but she loves it.  Music is okay.)
Full Metal Alchemist (recommend English dub, Japanese people trying to pronounce English names is amusing at best.  Lots of dead spots and ending sucks, but pretty good overall.  Extremely addictive theme.)

Plenty of others that have good and bad parts.  Trinity Blood's plot and action sequences suck, but the animation and art style are pretty fun.  Wolf's Rain does not come close to meeting expectations, but at least it's pretty.  Same for that "new" anime on Adult Swim with the spear lady.  Very pretty, but nothing of worth inside (how like life.)

Evangelion, any Gundam, and Macross are fun for the HAHAGIANTROBOTCAGEMATCHFAPFAPFAP aspect.  Eva gets bonus points for the protagonist just completely fucking losing it at the end.  I think I would've been having too much fun tearing shit to pieces to be worried about some classmate or whatever.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #328 on: 27 Nov 2008, 09:14 »

Trinity Blood's plot and action sequences suck, but the animation and art style are pretty fun.

I forgot to come back to this.

Trinity Blood would be passable if the characters didn't fucking bother me so immensely. Seriously, everyone's an angsty fuck who can't control themselves enough to do their goddamn jobs. It's as if the entire characterisation was designed around appealing to shallow goth kids, which isn't surprising given the aesthetic slant of the anime. At best, the characters are typical and predictable, and mind-numbingly rage-i-fying at worst.
Just about every stereotype is there.

In fact, all of Trinity Blood is basically based on skullfucking stereotypes into one another.

By the way, I bought the whole thing, six discs. I didn't get the last two discs - they simply weren't in the case. It says a lot about this anime that I simply don't care enough to go back to the store to bloody well show them what's up.

At least the design is absolutely fantastic, but that's where the awesomeness ends. From the robot saying "Positive" instead of "Affirmative" to the disgustingly unoriginal and pretentious attempts at philosophy, this anime is entry-level at best, and utter shit at worst.

One more nail in the coffin of the modern Vampire. It's a pretty huge shame to see such a potentially awesome monster crash and burn in shitty media.

/deep breath.

And I'm done.

Ikrik

« Reply #329 on: 27 Nov 2008, 11:49 »

Hmm...Considering I was JUST about to go and download it too...ahh well. 

Useless protagonists are starting to bug me in anime....as well as whiny females and the super-cool angsters.  Amnesia as a character device has stopped bugging me.

What has happened to vampires in popular culture?  The only really good vampire anime I can name off the top of my head is Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust...Are there any others? Please don't recommend Black Blood Blothers or Blood+...both of those were annoying with Blood+ being one of the angstiest things I've ever watched.

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #330 on: 27 Nov 2008, 20:53 »

Hey, like I said, it's pretty and that's about all it's got going for it.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #331 on: 28 Nov 2008, 09:25 »

What has happened to vampires in popular culture?  The only really good vampire anime I can name off the top of my head is Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust...Are there any others? Please don't recommend Black Blood Blothers or Blood+...both of those were annoying with Blood+ being one of the angstiest things I've ever watched.

Hellsing. I can't believe you didn't mention it. Hellsing. HELLSING.

As for the answer to your first question:

It's quite simple. Vampires have been oversexualised. Now, I have no issues with sexy vampires. Any Mistress Of The Night is quite welcome to take her teeth to my neck. The issue arises when their pretty traits conflict with their status as hated and feared monsters. Anne Rice's "Interview With The Vampire" worked because, while Louis was a good-looking guy and very eloquent, he couldn't get past the instincts that threatened to destroy his ties with his mortal values.

"Hellsing" is great because while there are vampires acting as protagonists, they are not quite as clear cut as in stuff like Underworld and Twilight. Alucard is a morally bankrupt weapon bound to an agent of the Church, while Seras is infantile in her power and still clinging to her own mortal values. Plus, she's smokin' hot. The anime is kind of divergent, but the manga (and thus, the OVA of Hellsing) is about the Knights Of The Round Table using Count Dracula to fight against Nazis and the Inquisition.

I gotta thank Khar for that phrasing.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #332 on: 28 Nov 2008, 17:23 »

The only really good vampire anime I can name off the top of my head is Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust...Are there any others?

I believe I already mentioned Rosario Vampire.

plumbob78

• ˇViva la revolución!
« Reply #333 on: 01 Dec 2008, 12:02 »

Hellsing. I can't believe you didn't mention it. Hellsing. HELLSING....

"Hellsing" is great because while there are vampires acting as protagonists, they are not quite as clear cut as in stuff like Underworld and Twilight. Alucard is a morally bankrupt weapon bound to an agent of the Church, while Seras is infantile in her power and still clinging to her own mortal values. Plus, she's smokin' hot. The anime is kind of divergent, but the manga (and thus, the OVA of Hellsing) is about the Knights Of The Round Table using Count Dracula to fight against Nazis and the Inquisition.

I gotta thank Khar for that phrasing.

Hellsing Ultimate is very good. IMO, don't bother with the TV series, they had to make up a bunch of shit because the manga was still ongoing. The TV series doesn't have the Nazis.

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #334 on: 04 Dec 2008, 01:16 »

I always liked the Nosferatu style of vampires myself.  I always thought undead should be more like animated rotting cadavers more than basically not-living-but-otherwise-normal.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #335 on: 04 Dec 2008, 02:36 »

Hellsing Ultimate is very good. IMO, don't bother with the TV series, they had to make up a bunch of shit because the manga was still ongoing. The TV series doesn't have the Nazis.
havn't gotten round to watchign the ova yet (was going to wait till all parts were out and get a boxset) but the original series is still worth watching
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #336 on: 04 Dec 2008, 07:28 »

Plus, the TV series has pretty bitchin' tunes.

Tetsu

« Reply #337 on: 14 Dec 2008, 22:53 »

To anyone if you liked Death Note, I'd highly recommend Code Geass. Its just as good if not better cause: Lots of drama and thrill and mindgames as well as having one of the best freaking endings i've ever seen! <.< And i've watch alot of freaking anime....around 150+

Most (well, all) of the handful I like have been mentioned.  So I'm just gonna back them up.

Ghost in the Shell, entire thing.
Cowboy Bebop.
Samurai Champloo.
FLCL (the timing with the music is what makes it so amazing.)
Berserk (manga is a thousand times better.)
Bleach (just don't pay attention to the plot or any dialogue and your brain should survive intact.)
Naruto Shippuuden (see above.)
Trigun.
Noir (friend recommended it.  I don't like it much, but she loves it.  Music is okay.)
Full Metal Alchemist (recommend English dub, Japanese people trying to pronounce English names is amusing at best.  Lots of dead spots and ending sucks, but pretty good overall.  Extremely addictive theme.)

I'd suggest Baccano! its only bout 13 eps..and 3eps for the ova, but its full of excellence. Also Haijime no Ippo since you got a few long running animes with a strong main character, it could be something you like, I have no idea if either of these are dubbed yet but both of them are full of excellence.

plumbob78

• ˇViva la revolución!
« Reply #338 on: 15 Dec 2008, 14:46 »

I saw an AMV at a con this year that used Baccano!. I've really wanted to see it ever since. But I try to wait for series to come out as bricks rather than buying single discs.

keikun496

• Plantmonster
« Reply #339 on: 15 Dec 2008, 23:22 »

I am amused, Jeph's twitter says he is watching SHnY. I wonder if he goes with subs or dubs? Hmmm..  :roll:

Anyways, wanna-be anime guru here. Stuff I'd recommend?

Depending on the genre you're interested in..

FLCL
Gurren Lagann
Berserk
Monster
Lucky Star
Hidamari Sketch
Kannagi
Tora Dora
Death Note
Haruhi Suzumiya (Melancholy of)
Honey and Clove (both seasons)
Chobits
Code Geass
Fist of the North Star
any of Miyazaki's works
Grave of the Fireflies
5 cm's per second
The girl who leapt through time
Clannad
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Jigoku Shoujo
Mushi-shi
Evangelion (obviously)
Excel Saga
Kanon
Ouran High School Host Club
Nodame Cantabile

nothing else really comes to mind at the moment.

Tetsu

« Reply #340 on: 16 Dec 2008, 01:52 »

If anything funny needs to be watched its gonna be in this list:
School Rumble (season 1 has been dubbed) , and the first season is even dubbed. The amount of awesome that is in that show is just great. >.>
Lucky Star (has been dubbed) , its pretty funny but alot of people won't get a good chunk of the jokes if you don't watch at least some subs
Ouran High School Host Club (has been dubbed), its just funny on quite a few level but at the reverse harem just makes it great.

And i'll have to second any recommendation of Honey and Clover...just cause its one of the best animes EVER made...though it will make you sad as hell in the end.

keikun496

• Plantmonster
« Reply #341 on: 16 Dec 2008, 02:16 »

If anything funny needs to be watched its gonna be in this list:
School Rumble (season 1 has been dubbed) , and the first season is even dubbed. The amount of awesome that is in that show is just great. >.>
Lucky Star (has been dubbed) , its pretty funny but alot of people won't get a good chunk of the jokes if you don't watch at least some subs
Ouran High School Host Club (has been dubbed), its just funny on quite a few level but at the reverse harem just makes it great.

And i'll have to second any recommendation of Honey and Clover...just cause its one of the best animes EVER made...though it will make you sad as hell in the end.

Oops, I forgot School Rumble.

Ouran and LS both require some involvement in watching anime before the jokes are that funny. Especially LS, where you'll miss a lot of the humor if you don't watch a lot of anime.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #342 on: 22 Dec 2008, 00:16 »

Ok I'll put it on here since no one else has but Inuyasha really is a great series. I have to agree with most of the other posts Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist, and Lupin the 3rd are my facorite series.

Favorite Movies are: Grave of Fireflies, Ninja Scroll, Princess Mononoke, Akira, Metropolis, and Vampire Hunter D,

*edit*

Ok so someone did already mention Inuyasha but only in passing. But wtf people no one even mentioned Grave of Fireflies. I actually cried watching this. You people are dead to me....
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2008, 00:30 by Aurjay »
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #343 on: 22 Dec 2008, 01:49 »

Ok I'll put it on here since no one else has but Inuyasha really is a great series.

It's cool, some people think One Piece is better than Death Note.

Aurjay

« Reply #344 on: 22 Dec 2008, 09:01 »

Ok I'll put it on here since no one else has but Inuyasha really is a great series.

It's cool, some people think One Piece is better than Death Note.

Not really sure which either had to do with my post about Inuyasha but I was never a big fan of Death Note. Never watched One Piece so can't say it was any better or worse...

Ikrik

« Reply #345 on: 22 Dec 2008, 14:44 »

What he's trying to say, I believe, is that Inuyasha is not great.   I will go a step farther and say that Inuyasha was one of the reasons I was turned off anime for such a long time.  It's a series that's riddled with cliches and sap and spawned a generation of weabos. 

And I've pretty sure we've discussed Grave of the Fireflies.  If not here...than somewhere else.  Pretty sure it was heavily mentioned in the Movies that Made You Cry thread.

I'm currently watching Welcome to the NHK and while I find it watchable and I'm going to finish it I just don't understand why people go nuts over this show.  My girlfriend finished it and didn't particularly enjoy it all that much. 

I'm currently downloading Maison Ikkoku, Fist of the North Star, Bleach, and something else.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #346 on: 22 Dec 2008, 15:56 »

Blaming Inuyasha for being liked is silly. There's definitely cliches and sap involved, but there's also bits that are occasionally funny. I never liked it all that much but I'd say overall it's a good cut above Naruto or DBZ.

Aurjay

« Reply #347 on: 22 Dec 2008, 16:06 »

Blaming Inuyasha for being liked is silly. There's definitely cliches and sap involved, but there's also bits that are occasionally funny. I never liked it all that much but I'd say overall it's a good cut above Naruto or DBZ.

I'll admit Inuyasha has a lot of sap and sure there are some cliches as well, but as far as story goes, I still really like it. DBZ and Naruto both seemed to be geared towards a much younger crowd than me so I never got into either.

My apologies if Grave of Fireflies was already discussed in another thread but I assumed at least one person would have mentioned it in here. Fist of the Northstar is a good call though. Anyone like MD Geist?     

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #348 on: 22 Dec 2008, 16:21 »

To me it's not really an issues of percieved maturity that puts Inuyasha ahead of Naruta or DBZ. It's really just the simple fact that any given episode of DBZ or Naruto is quite likely to devolve into characters standing around watching people fight and saying things like "Wow, that's the super secret Kamehameha Spirit Bomb Jutsu!"

Aurjay

« Reply #349 on: 22 Dec 2008, 16:27 »

To be fair Inuyasha had one trademark attack as well, can't remember the name of it right now. He did learn a few more much later in the series but that really was about it. Inuyasha I always thought dwelled more on the relationship side of things and thats where I think the maturity of it came into play.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up