THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 07:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 'chameleon' in movies today?  (Read 32932 times)

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
Best 'chameleon' in movies today?
« on: 06 Mar 2008, 22:49 »

Who do you think is the greatest 'chameleon' in tv/movies today?  That is, the actor (male or female) who blends in most with the film that surrounds them, who can best completely discard their own persona and embody another? 

To me, it has to be Gary Oldman.  No one else can completely disappear into a character like Gary Oldman can.  Just think about some of his roles, from Dracula to The Fifth Element, from True Romance to Batman Begins... it's crazy ridiculous - he's an absolute chameleon! 

So what do you guys think?  Who else is a true chameleon?

Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
Re: Best 'chameleon' in movies today?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2008, 23:17 »

?

Christian Bale has done some pretty stellar work in his career. Everything I've seen him in has basically just been incredible, American Psycho, The Machinist, The Prestige, Batman, hell even Equilibrium was watchable simply because of his performance.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Narr

« Reply #2 on: 06 Mar 2008, 23:28 »

Christian Bale usually plays a pretty stock role, though.  Most his characters don't deviate too much from one another.  Don't get me wrong; I love the guy's work and go see movies just because he's in it.

I'd have to go with Philip Seymour Hoffman.  He was one of "those guys" up until he won that Oscar.  You know, one of the guys that showed up in a lot of movies that you just said "Oh, it's that guy!  From that one movie!"

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #3 on: 06 Mar 2008, 23:35 »

I'd have to go with Philip Seymour Hoffman.  He was one of "those guys" up until he won that Oscar.  You know, one of the guys that showed up in a lot of movies that you just said "Oh, it's that guy!  From that one movie!"

I agree entirely, he went from being that recognizable guy you love to being referred to by me and my friends as "yo dude its chipotle"
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #4 on: 07 Mar 2008, 04:22 »

I know he's all the rage right now, but Daniel Day-Lewis is good at this.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #5 on: 07 Mar 2008, 05:07 »

Christian Bale has

See, with Christian Bale, at least ever since the Machinist, I tend to be looking at him and thinking "What absurdly extreme method acting madness has he put his body through this time?", which rather distracts from the film I'm trying to watch.

singeivoire

« Reply #6 on: 07 Mar 2008, 07:00 »

Yeah, I'd say Christian Bale is a little too recognizable to be considered a true chameleon. Hoffman and Day-Lewis both are good examples, but I'm gonna have to agree with no one special and say Gary Oldman is pretty much the best ever at blending in.

And, since no chicks have been mentioned yet, I would like to point out Emma Thompson. That woman is my hero. From Sense and Sensibility to Nanny McPhee, from Wit to the Potter films. Also, the few moments she was in I Am Legend completely made the movie for me. Seriously - if the world had to be destroyed, at least it was destroyed by someone as classy as Emma Thompson.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #7 on: 07 Mar 2008, 13:21 »

She was also in Angels in America, which was awesome.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

rancidhooligan

« Reply #8 on: 07 Mar 2008, 13:38 »

Gary Oldman is a good one.  Val Kilmer was pretty good back in the day.  Jim Morrison and 'Doc' Holiday are two roles that come to mind.

Narr

« Reply #9 on: 07 Mar 2008, 16:09 »

I wouldn't say Emma Thompson is a chameleon, really, but she's a great actress.

I can think of more TV actors and actresses that just show up for everything.  The guy that is now the law firm's head guy on Eli Stone, for example.  I don't even know his name, but he's in like EVERY new drama series on television ever.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #10 on: 07 Mar 2008, 16:53 »

Pretty much any character actor. A lot of them end up on Law & Order as judges or lawyers. Sometimes, like in Philip Seymour Hoffman's case, they can strike it big, but most of the time they're the "that guy"s.

Ex.:
Kenneth Welsh
Harry Dean Stanton
JT Walsh
Christopher McDonald
etc.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2008, 16:58 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #11 on: 07 Mar 2008, 17:08 »

Christopher McDonald OWNs.  Hehe.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

idiolect

« Reply #12 on: 07 Mar 2008, 21:49 »

Gary Oldman is a good one.  Val Kilmer was pretty good back in the day.  Jim Morrison and 'Doc' Holiday are two roles that come to mind.

I have to say, I never quite found Val Kilmer all that attractive... until he played Doc Holiday.  I kind of couldn't believe that was him.  Anyway, sorry for the distraction, carry on.

Narr

« Reply #13 on: 08 Mar 2008, 03:31 »

Christopher McDonald will forever be Shooter McGavin in my books.

warofthebees

« Reply #14 on: 08 Mar 2008, 04:01 »

John C. McGinley, from Scrubs.  He was also in Platoon, one of the Highlander Films (2?), and Se7en

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 08 Mar 2008, 05:13 »

You realise that "being a chameleon" isn't the same as "fading into the background"?

Why who is that guy on the left? I have never seen him before, nope. No way.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2008, 05:20 by Sox »

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #16 on: 08 Mar 2008, 05:42 »

On the idea of people who can play a lot of different roles and do them well I would have to say that character actors such as Gary Oldman, Robert de Niro take the prize.  If you're looking for people who rise, or sink to the level of the movie, then I would say that Christopher Lee takes the prize. 

Mr. Lee's acting resume is impressive with movies that you can say "Damn, that's one great movie." (Say, the Horror of Dracula, the Wickerman, The Lord of the Rings)
, or "Meh, that's kind of average" (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Mummy, Return to Witch Mountain), and finally -
"Man, did they have nude pictures of you with some kind of farm animal?" (Howling II, Taste the Blood of Dracula)
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

no one special

• Curry sauce
« Reply #17 on: 08 Mar 2008, 12:52 »

Why who is that guy on the left? I have never seen him before, nope. No way.

Haha, seriously - Matthew McConaughey scared the crap out of me in that movie!  The crazy-killer-psycho had me convinced!  Reign of Fire was a fun movie with good perofrmances, I watch it every time it's on TV. 

Also, Christian Bale FTW, he's another guy I'll watch anytime, anywhere - definitely a chameleon.

Question though - how is Gary Oldman considered a 'character actor' ?  I'd disagree, he's a big-timer!  I mean, Clint Howard  is a character actor; Oldman, not so much, he's bigger than that.
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Narr

« Reply #18 on: 08 Mar 2008, 14:17 »

Charactor Actor just means someone they bring in to play a unique character, someone that's more driven AS a character than as a plot centerpiece.  Johnny Depp, for example.  He's big time, but he's a character actor.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #19 on: 08 Mar 2008, 16:35 »

Charactor Actor just means someone they bring in to play a unique character, someone that's more driven AS a character than as a plot centerpiece.  Johnny Depp, for example.  He's big time, but he's a character actor.

I was always under the impression character actors were people who played the same realm of character in every piece of work they do like Brian Dennehy.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #20 on: 08 Mar 2008, 16:53 »

You're actually both wrong. But Narr is more wrong than Beat Mouse*. A character actor is a person who plays a very narrow range of characters, usually somewhere in the background of a movie. So, Johnny Depp is NOT a character actor, as he doesn't portray similar rolls in all his movies. He's also usually the leading man.

By definition, a character actor can not really be 'big time'. Recognisable, yes. But not hugely famous. So to clarify...
A character actor can be become an A-List actor depending on their roles in movies.
Steve Buscemi is an example of a character actor. Johnny Depp is not.
Danny Trejo is a character actor. George Clooney is not.

*Edit: Upon closer inspection of the post, Beat Mouse was actually 100% correct. Ooops!
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2008, 17:02 by Sox »

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #21 on: 08 Mar 2008, 19:01 »

I wouldn't say Buscemi plays the same sort of characters all the time though.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #22 on: 08 Mar 2008, 19:58 »

I would argue that Johnny Depp, despite the highly-paid leading man status, is a character actor (that this falls outside a definition of character actor is okay with me). I mean, I like him as much as the next person, but I don't think range is his strong suit.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #23 on: 08 Mar 2008, 20:39 »

Robert Fucking Downey Jr.

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #24 on: 08 Mar 2008, 20:57 »

Normaly, I'd say Tom Hanks, but I can't watch a movie with him in it without first thinking of Forrest Gump or "Wilson!!!"

I'd like to say Russel Crowe because his performance in "A Beautiful Mind."  Damn good movie, go watch it.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #25 on: 08 Mar 2008, 21:38 »

You're actually both wrong. But Narr is more wrong than Beat Mouse*. A character actor is a person who plays a very narrow range of characters, usually somewhere in the background of a movie. So, Johnny Depp is NOT a character actor, as he doesn't portray similar rolls in all his movies. He's also usually the leading man.

By definition, a character actor can not really be 'big time'. Recognisable, yes. But not hugely famous. So to clarify...
A character actor can be become an A-List actor depending on their roles in movies.
Steve Buscemi is an example of a character actor. Johnny Depp is not.
Danny Trejo is a character actor. George Clooney is not.

*Edit: Upon closer inspection of the post, Beat Mouse was actually 100% correct. Ooops!

Just so I know I have this right in my mind, William H Macy would be a character actor, yes?

Symptom

• Plantmonster
« Reply #26 on: 08 Mar 2008, 21:58 »

I don't remember ever finding Kevin Spacey not convincing.
the poster formely known as gutyreader

analogthought

« Reply #27 on: 08 Mar 2008, 22:10 »

While I hate to say this because in text it looks wrong, but I'd have to almost say Jim Carrey. Between Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine, and Dumb and Dumber and Lemony Snicket... the characters he plays in those movies are very different and he fits right into the role. I think.

captain zoe

« Reply #28 on: 09 Mar 2008, 22:31 »

I can agree with you about Jim Carrey. 

And I think Tom Hanks, too.  There's so much he can do, I mean look at the difference between say, The Terminal and Cast Away, just to name 2 pretty wide extremes.  He has a pretty big range. 

Nodaisho

« Reply #29 on: 09 Mar 2008, 23:45 »

Christian Bale usually plays a pretty stock role, though.  Most his characters don't deviate too much from one another.  Don't get me wrong; I love the guy's work and go see movies just because he's in it.
So the paperboy, psychopath, gun-fu master, and superhero didn't deviate from each other? I have only seen him in Newsies (about a decade ago), Equilibrium, Batman Begins, and The Prestige, do all the others seem to run together or something?

I haven't seen much with Gary Oldman in it (that I remember), but he was the lead DEA guy in Leon, right? What I saw of that movie, he was very in character, either that or he was on leave from the looney bin while filming.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #30 on: 10 Mar 2008, 00:23 »

Aside from Newsies, which I haven't seen, and American Psycho, Christian Bale tends to run with very dour characters. Although I hear his Rescue Dawn character was quite manic.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #31 on: 10 Mar 2008, 01:00 »

Guy Pierce!!!!

Narr

« Reply #32 on: 10 Mar 2008, 01:06 »

Huh.  I always thought that character actors where just actors they'd go out of their way to find to play a certain element of a character.  Like how Johnny Depp almost always plays some slightly crazy, slightly effeminate yet masculine character.

Or like how they always get Nicholas Cage to be a dry flake of a man.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #33 on: 10 Mar 2008, 02:48 »

I haven't seen much with Gary Oldman in it (that I remember), but he was the lead DEA guy in Leon, right? What I saw of that movie, he was very in character, either that or he was on leave from the looney bin while filming.

Yes. Other things Gary Oldman has been in:

Jim Gordon in Batman Begins. Zorg in Fifth Element. Dracula in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Sirius Black in Harry Potter. Sid Vicious in Sid and Nancy.

Dude is totally a chameleon.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #34 on: 10 Mar 2008, 06:12 »

See, it was my understanding that "character actors" were just actors who were too ugly to be lead actors.

Maybe I've been brainwashed by Hollywood?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #35 on: 10 Mar 2008, 09:03 »

They've gotten to you! Noooooooooo!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #36 on: 10 Mar 2008, 15:19 »

Yes. Other things Gary Oldman has been in:

Jim Gordon in Batman Begins. Zorg in Fifth Element. Dracula in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Sirius Black in Harry Potter. Sid Vicious in Sid and Nancy.

Dude is totally a chameleon.

Drexl in True Romance.  Wiggerest performance ever.  And he's British, so watching him act like a thug is even more hilarious.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #37 on: 10 Mar 2008, 15:25 »

See, it was my understanding that "character actors" were just actors who were too ugly to be lead actors.

Maybe I've been brainwashed by Hollywood?
Psssh, Patton Oswalt is just bitter because he can't be as awesome and sexy as Harry Dean Stanton.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

cupcakeonastick

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Balderdash!
« Reply #38 on: 10 Mar 2008, 21:31 »

Gary Oldman was also brilliant in The Professional.

The dude can do no wrong. I have no idea why he hasn't won an oscar yet.
I've seen bears do things even a bear wouldn't do.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #39 on: 11 Mar 2008, 02:19 »

For those not in the know, Leon is the name of the French release of The Professional. They are the same film!

Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #40 on: 11 Mar 2008, 03:37 »

Gary Oldman was in Lost In Space, which was a massive turd. So was Sid & Nancy actually
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

cupcakeonastick

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Balderdash!
« Reply #41 on: 11 Mar 2008, 10:09 »

*facepalm*

I knew that about Leon/the professional, I am just a lazy thread skimmer and missed the first mention of it.

He's still brilliant, though. ^_^
I've seen bears do things even a bear wouldn't do.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #42 on: 11 Mar 2008, 18:55 »

I wasn't having a go, I was just pointing out for anyone who didn't know that they are the same film.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #43 on: 11 Mar 2008, 20:07 »

Gary Oldman was in Lost In Space, which was a massive turd. So was Sid & Nancy actually

Since I still don't know what chameleon is supposed to mean in this context, I'm just going to say that even though those movies sucked, he was still acting pretty damn good in them.

And Jean Reno is also pretty good.

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #44 on: 11 Mar 2008, 22:00 »

I'm going to have to agree with a lot of people in this thread and say that Gary Oldman takes the prize. 

I have never been dissapointed with his work, even if what he was in sucked, his part in it usually made it watchable (if only for his performance)

And good movies just make him stand out as a character even more.  His role in 5th Element was amazing, his role in Leon/Professional equally so.
He took both of those roles, playing a much more sadistic character, and yet he played Gordon 100% believable.

The dude could probably play anything you put in front of him.

On a semi-related note, I wonder how many people know that he is british?
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

no one special

• Curry sauce
« Reply #45 on: 11 Mar 2008, 22:13 »

Guy Pierce!!!!

ooo, good call!  Totally forgot about Guy Pearce, he's definitely up there.  Two movies of his that I absolutely love are L.A. Confidential and Memento.  And don't forget The Prestige !!  Yep, up there with 'chameleon' status. 

Also, related to Statik's point about country of origin: since L.A. Confidential was the first Guy Pearce movie I ever saw, I didn't even know he was Australian for the longest time!  Imagine my surprise when I first saw him do an interview   :laugh:

For the people who were kind of confused as to what 'chameleon' meant - think of the definition by anti-example: Jeff Goldblum.  Man does the exact same mannerisms, exact same voice, exact same everything in every role he does.  He is the complete opposite of a 'chameleon'.

BUT this is not being negative, not actor-bashing - only having one 'character' can be a very good thing!  Case in point - Vince Vaughn.  Does he do basically the exact same thing in every movie?  Yes, but what he does is so damn funny, I'll go see him in just about anything!

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #46 on: 13 Mar 2008, 06:37 »

Gerard Butler has, in his short career, starred in some pretty weird flicks.

I mean yeah Mr. Big Tough Action Dude in Tomb Raider 2. But then to fuckin' Phantom Of The Opera?? And into some leather for 300?

And have you actually read or seen anything about his latest film? I wouldnt say he's a great actor, but he really likes to genre-hop!
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #47 on: 13 Mar 2008, 07:14 »

Guy Pearce wasn't in The Prestige...

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #48 on: 13 Mar 2008, 11:35 »

I would have to disgree with Jim Carrey, because so far in his career he has played all sorts of characters because they're in each movie in a different context, but he is always a meek character. The same thing goes for Christian Bale and a lot of the other actors mentioned. This doesn't mean that they aren't good actors though. They just aren't character actors.
By character actor, we mean different kinds of people, and by different kinds of people, this is not meant trash-truck driver to superhero. To get into different people, they have to be differently thinking people.
A character actor could be Bill Murray. In Caddyshack he played a paranoid, drug-addled man. In Broken Flowers he was a rundown, tired-of-it-all ladies man.
A character actor is not Arnold Schwarzeneger.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

no one special

• Curry sauce
« Reply #49 on: 14 Mar 2008, 01:26 »

Guy Pearce wasn't in The Prestige...
LOL what a dumbass I am!  You're absolutely right.

...see how much of a chameleon Christian Bale really is?   :laugh:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up