Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: BSG  (Read 35500 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
BSG
« on: 08 Mar 2008, 10:20 »

Any news as to when the fourth and final season of BSG is going to finally start?  I mean it's only been over a year since the end of season 3....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
Re: BSG
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2008, 21:00 »

No idea, but I am waiting anxiously.  I was seriously hoping that the rumors of it only having one morel season were just that, rumors, but they're actually true.  Best show on television imo, I'll be quite sad when it's over.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #2 on: 09 Mar 2008, 07:42 »

My wife and I agree.  It's the only TV show we watch with any regularity - the others being Mythbusters, Survivorman and Dirty Jobs.  My wife only got involved in it after I'd bought season 1 and she reluctantly sat through a couple of episodes.  Now she's hooked.

Nothing like tightly written characters, realistic storylines to make a show great.  And it doesn't hurt that there isn't a bad actor in the cast...
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #3 on: 09 Mar 2008, 12:04 »

Nevermind - space.com has confirmed that the new season will start on April 4. 

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2008, 05:24 »

So who's excited about Friday night?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: 02 Apr 2008, 06:03 »

Is Survivorman what they call Bear Gryll's show in America?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 02 Apr 2008, 06:32 »

No, I think that one's "Man Vs. Wild" or something.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #7 on: 02 Apr 2008, 06:37 »

I love Battlestar Galactica, but all the same it would be so much better if it just lived up to its promise. Like, the first few episodes of season 3 were incredible, touching on all sorts of really interesting issues about war-time morality that are incredibly relevant to this day and age and doing it in a way that's unbelievably subversive for what seems to be a relatively high-profile American show, but then they go and waste a whole lot of episodes piss-farting around some hokey love story that nobody really gives a shit about. And then they get over that and have a really, really interesting episode like the one about the labour dispute, and the role of unionism and class in shaping society, and they address all sorts of really interesting issues, and you just want them to talk about it just a little bit more, but they can't because they've run out of time.

Basically I think the series would be immeasurably better if it went for a full hour instead of 45 minutes (which would require it to be on a commercial-free channel) and if each series was only twelve or thirteen episodes long, instead of twenty-something.

So I guess I'm saying it'd be better if it was on H.B.O.

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #8 on: 02 Apr 2008, 10:40 »

RE better if it was 13 episodes long,
Why do you think Season 1 was the best?  I don't think it had a bad episode.  The high points of season 2 are a match for some of the best moments in season 1, but the troughs between are FAR more pronounced.  I suspect this is because the season was shorter, and so had less filler.
I haven't seen season 3 yet--my first DVD just got here today via the netflix.
-Wilhelm
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #9 on: 02 Apr 2008, 15:26 »

I can't wait, Razor was pretty epic.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #10 on: 02 Apr 2008, 15:44 »

Apart from the acting.

Well, the acting of that one woman in the main role, anyway. Good lord, was she bad.

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #11 on: 02 Apr 2008, 15:51 »

Well it was on the Sci Fi channel so I expected terrible acting.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #12 on: 02 Apr 2008, 17:06 »

I'm in Australia. I don't have the Sci-Fi channel. However, it was Battlestar Galactica so I expected good or at least passable acting. Not "This is my angry face. It's also my miserable face. It's also my shocked face."

Exar_Kun

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Me Hawngry!
« Reply #13 on: 03 Apr 2008, 01:00 »

I'm sorry I just gotta say, that BSG is one of the best sci-fi television series I have EVER watched, and I've watched just almost every tv series that can possibly be labeled as sci-fi.  I'm not sure where you got the idea that the acting was bad.  Sure the first season was a little stiff, but every season after only got better.  It seems to me that hardly anyone appreciates good all around story-telling anymore.  I sometimes wonder what happened.
Red Two: Look at the *size* of that thing!
Red Leader: Cut the chatter Red Two, accelerate to attack speed!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 03 Apr 2008, 06:11 »

Who, me? I thought it was pretty obvious from my previous posts that the only acting I was criticising in the entirety of Battlestar Galactica was that of the main actress in Razor.

Specific to that, I get the idea that her acting was bad from the fact that her it was. So incredibly bad. Why couldn't the whole thing just have been about Michelle Forbes instead?

Adah

« Reply #15 on: 03 Apr 2008, 11:59 »

I love Battlestar Galactica, but all the same it would be so much better if it just lived up to its promise. Like, the first few episodes of season 3 were incredible, touching on all sorts of really interesting issues about war-time morality that are incredibly relevant to this day and age and doing it in a way that's unbelievably subversive for what seems to be a relatively high-profile American show, but then they go and waste a whole lot of episodes piss-farting around some hokey love story that nobody really gives a shit about. And then they get over that and have a really, really interesting episode like the one about the labour dispute, and the role of unionism and class in shaping society, and they address all sorts of really interesting issues, and you just want them to talk about it just a little bit more, but they can't because they've run out of time.

I agree that the love story between Apollo and Starbuck went on too long, but there were some amazing episodes in there.  The one where they were boxing and the story was told in flashbacks was a particular favorite.  It is, IMO, one of the best episodes in the show's entire run.  The structure is unique, and the pathos behind it is genuine.

On the other hand, I absolutely hated the labour dispute episode along with the Cylon virus episode, which were arguably two of the more topical episodes of the past season.  They struck me as grossly simplifying the issue, and sugarcoating the endings in order to keep our good guys all good.  Beyond that, they also struck me as pure filler, without serious thought about what the episodes implied for the future.

To each his own.

Narr

« Reply #16 on: 03 Apr 2008, 14:55 »

Is Survivorman what they call Bear Gryll's show in America?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorman

No.

As mentioned by valley_parade, Bear's show is "Man vs. Wild." I mostly just looked this up now to satisfy my own curiosity because I couldn't remember who was the host of what.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #17 on: 04 Apr 2008, 06:57 »

My favs for last season were the escape from New Caprica - the sheer emotional agony as Tigh killed his wife did it for me; the labour dispute - yes, it was superficial, but it did raise the thoughts of what would happen in such a situation - it was simplified, but the actions of the characters were consistent and finally the episode with Dr. Roberts and the Sagitarrons and the issue of cultural norms v. medical necessity.

Eagerly awaiting tonight's episode.

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #18 on: 05 Apr 2008, 09:00 »

It wasn't as amazing as the Season 3 premiere, but I liked it a lot.  Baltar.... man you gotta love him
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2008, 09:06 by karl gambolputty... »

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #19 on: 05 Apr 2008, 21:00 »

Baltar is just so bad at being a messiah, I just want to give him a big ol' hug.

Who do you guys like for the final Cylon? My money (literally, we started a betting pool) is on Roslin.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #20 on: 05 Apr 2008, 21:19 »

I just went over to the scifi.com forums to see what the consensus was among the hardcore BSG fans, and now I wish I  was a cylon.

My money would be on Starbuck, she fucking died, we all saw it.  Apparently, from what I could decipher from the forums, Moore said that it definitely isn't Roslin or Admiral Adama.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #21 on: 05 Apr 2008, 21:45 »

Cottle - How else do you think all the cylons on Galactica have been missed over the years.

Exar_Kun

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Me Hawngry!
« Reply #22 on: 06 Apr 2008, 00:00 »

It's really up for grabs right now.  I think because of the hiatus and writer's strike, every possible option has been chosen, so whatever happens, someone will be right and everyone else will be wrong.  I, however, am much more interested in the growing conflict in the Cylon ranks as was hinted in the Episode 2 preview.
Red Two: Look at the *size* of that thing!
Red Leader: Cut the chatter Red Two, accelerate to attack speed!

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #23 on: 06 Apr 2008, 11:42 »

(First time poster jade jade, I like big... and so on. Back on topic.)

It's really up for grabs right now.  I think because of the hiatus and writer's strike, every possible option has been chosen, so whatever happens, someone will be right and everyone else will be wrong.  I, however, am much more interested in the growing conflict in the Cylon ranks as was hinted in the Episode 2 preview.
I totally have to agree there. The fact that there is a conflict in the cylon ranks and that there faith seems to be related to the humans and more importantly to earth. I am very much longing to see whats up with earth and the cylons.

(Really sorry for bad spelling and grammar (if any). I am trying and will do my best.)
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #24 on: 06 Apr 2008, 18:24 »

I liked the show best when it was all dude hallucinating hot Cylon chick in his head and whatnot.  Now that the series has gone more in the direction of "big space battles" and "topical subjects" it's kind of lost steam.  The mystery and psychology of the whole Cylon thing was enough to power the show; it seems like they're just cramming too much into the series and it's losing focus.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #25 on: 06 Apr 2008, 21:48 »

My money would be on Starbuck, she fucking died, we all saw it.  Apparently, from what I could decipher from the forums, Moore said that it definitely isn't Roslin or Admiral Adama.

i was under the impression that the only comment the creators had really said was that the last Cylon is definitely not Starbuck, because that was what I got from the last episode of season 3, but apparently that wasn't the impression they were going for at all.

Voxsera

« Reply #26 on: 08 Apr 2008, 04:25 »

Dude , starbuck BLEW up.Unless Lee was imagining it...

btw , lookie at this top ten reasons for watching BSG - >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YatjlSJNRHM
[ninja edit : by the cast themselves on letterman.]

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2008, 23:58 »

Starbuck is not a Cylon. It's too obvious at this point. There's another reason for her apparent death and discovery of Earth. There has to be.

I just watched all of S3 and it's worth remembering that when Deanna saw the Five, she turned to one specifically and apologized. That one was definitely not Sam, Tyrol, or Tory just based on that reaction, so it was either Tigh or the Last one, and I think we can be fairly certain that it was probably the Last one, just for dramatic effect.

I don't think Deanna has any reason to apologize to Starbuck. She's not important enough. She's suffered as much as any other Colonial, maybe a bit more, but not at Deanna's hands.

So I'm going Roslin. That exchange makes the most sense to me.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #28 on: 15 Apr 2008, 04:37 »

The cyclon civil war is an interesting twist, does this mean that we are now down to the three model series fighting the colonials, and the five? 

Muskrat121

« Reply #29 on: 17 Apr 2008, 13:44 »

I just finished watching all of season 3...my head has now exploded.  It was there, and now it is gone.  I'm sad now though 'cause I'm all caught up and now I have to wait a whole week for new episodes...well...after tomorrows :-P

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2008, 03:06 »

On the other hand, I absolutely hated the labour dispute episode along with the Cylon virus episode, which were arguably two of the more topical episodes of the past season.  They struck me as grossly simplifying the issue, and sugarcoating the endings in order to keep our good guys all good.  Beyond that, they also struck me as pure filler, without serious thought about what the episodes implied for the future.
That is completely the opposite of what I took from them - of course genocide and labour issues have to be simplified somewhat to fit into a 45-minute show, but nonetheless I thought they dealt with them better than any other drama I have ever seen. Placing these things in a non-RW setting allows them to be played out without some of the trappings involved in doing such issues in RW settings. And I don't think the 'good guys' came out of it in any way well. Apart from Helo and the Chief, of course.

EDIT: Because I am bad at quotes.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2008, 12:35 by supersheep »
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Voxsera

« Reply #31 on: 18 Apr 2008, 07:00 »

I just finished watching all of season 3...my head has now exploded.  It was there, and now it is gone.  I'm sad now though 'cause I'm all caught up and now I have to wait a whole week for new episodes...well...after tomorrows :-P

Just like running through the archives for QC in half a day's worth of time and having to wait a day for each new comic eh?

Anyway , any thoughts on who Kara will bring along?She's not going on that ship alone...or is she?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #32 on: 18 Apr 2008, 09:39 »

My impression was that she's taking Helo.

Which didn't really make sense that Adama would send his CAG with Kara, but...that was my impression.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #33 on: 18 Apr 2008, 09:52 »

I don't think that Karl'll be flying off with Starbuck.  He'd got waaay too many responsibilities to be let go - CAG, occasional XO, and father for Adama to let him fly off.  I'm thinking that Helo's appearance on the flight deck was the CAG seeing one of his pilots off on a potentially one way mission.

Muskrat121

« Reply #34 on: 18 Apr 2008, 11:18 »

I just kind of assumed that she'd be assigned people who would be able to crew the ship.  Perhaps some people from CIC that we don't know/see very often.

I can't imagine Adama letting her take any piolts with her.  Well, maybe a few depending on whether or not her ship has a docking bay for a couple of vipers/raptors...but I'm not sure I can see Adama giving her a couple of vipers/raptors either.

Border's right.  Helo isn't going anywhere.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 18 Apr 2008, 11:40 »

Man, does anyone else find it weird that Helo was supposed to have died in the miniseries and is now the CAG, occasional XO, father of the first Cylon-Human hybrid, husband to the only Cylon who is a member of the fleet, and one of the more interesting characters in the show?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #36 on: 18 Apr 2008, 12:02 »

Yeah, but he didn't die, they just left him on Caprica to carry on as best as he could.  My problem with the Caprica sequence with Helo in season one was that he was supposedly on the planet for over 60 days and his hair was always military length, he was still cleanshaven and the clothes hadn't started to rot off his back.

I mean try wearing your socks for more than a couple of days in a row.  Now pciture what your socks and UNDERWEAR would smell like if you wore them for 2 months straight....

Beyond that quibble, I really haven't had too many WTF moments with BSG. 

Muskrat121

« Reply #37 on: 18 Apr 2008, 12:22 »

That, the way they cured Rosilin's cancer, and the bit where Tyrol and Cally get blown out of the airlock into the raptor are the only points in the show that come to mind where I had to allow for some serious leway.

Other than that there's nothing significant that's really made me cringe which I rather enjoy.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2008, 10:52 by Muskrat121 »

Voxsera

« Reply #38 on: 18 Apr 2008, 14:19 »

Speaking of which - we didn't see much of Cally nowadays.As for vipers and raptors - they can build those now can't they? If they had the materials.I remember something about Pegasus making viper MK7s ,not sure if Galactica could , but that might be lost with Pegasus going boom and all.

And...maybe Helo(for the girls , guys - think of boomer!) went Commando? Their outer suits tho , looks very plastic-like...Might not need washes as often.Same can't be said for the singlets and tops though.

Aminal

« Reply #39 on: 18 Apr 2008, 15:42 »

Thank god we don't see much of Cally, bitch is irritating.  But I do believe tonight's episode features her.

Haaaa haaaa your husband's a cyyyyyylon
How you like THAT, bitch ho?  (Why can't I get off the b-word?)
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2008, 04:33 by Aminal »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #40 on: 18 Apr 2008, 20:25 »

Cally. :(

I like her.

She's cute. :(

And when I was referring to how Helo was supposed to die I mean...he was supposed to die according to the creators. He was never, ever, ever meant to be a recurring character, but ended up being one anyway.

Addendum: Nananananananana. I was right about him going with Starbuck.

Along with practically every Viper pilot in the fleet.

And Gaeta.

WTF.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Theonefish

« Reply #41 on: 18 Apr 2008, 22:03 »

Yeah, I was kind of surprised at how many characters went with Starbuck. I can understand Gaeta, but why would they need the CAG and half the pilots?

Looks like Tori was the first one to go off the deep end.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #42 on: 19 Apr 2008, 05:30 »

Good thing my wife and I recorded the episode cause we need to wrap our heads around all the things in last ight's episode:

a.  Damn, I was wrong about Helo going off with Starbuck, but I wasn't expecting Adama to authorize one of his Senior deck officers, his raptor pilot extraordinare, and more than 5 pilots - who's the replacement CAG at this point - Hotdog?;
b.  Nice ambush cylons, well planned and well executed;
c.  If there is a cylon god I will never see Dean Stockwell and Grace Park kissing again....Grace Park and Tricia Helfer will be proof there is a god;
d.  Good to see that all of the four are engaged in nice stable relationships...
e.  I was really hoping that I wasn't going to see a child killed in the episode, and while I didn't, it was still damned disturbing.

This is shaping up to be a hell of a season.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2008, 12:42 by Border Reiver »

Aminal

« Reply #43 on: 19 Apr 2008, 12:28 »

1. Finally Cally admits how pathetic it is that she married someone who broke her jaw!  That honesty actually raised my estimation of her.
2. She was still as shitty a person as ever, though.  However, at least when she was being bitter she wasn't being whiny.
3. Tori's fucking lost it!  First she bangs Anders, then Baltar, now this...is this her response to her identity fracturing b/c she realized she's a Cylon?
4. JEEZ

I absolutely love what's going on within the Cylon nation right now.  Still, all those Sixes who died tonight will be coming back, won't they?  And ditto on the bleagh!Dean-Grace kiss.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #44 on: 19 Apr 2008, 12:45 »

I may be wrong, but wasn't that Tigh's wife showing up in the previews for next week?  If it is, I'm hoping that she's in Tigh's head, and not the final model.  But if she is that might explain why she and Tigh (and all the others) never had any kids.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #45 on: 19 Apr 2008, 13:18 »

I just kept thinking that Tory taking Callies kid and blowing her out the airlock was going to be part of the bizarre mindfuck she was going through all episode (What the hell was up with that by the way) and then you see Adama talking to Tyrol, credits roll and what.  Tory was freaking me out this episode though, there would always be a break where Tory is doing something vaguely sinister, Tory looks like she's scheming, and I kept thinking "no way is she going robo-nuts, its too early for that shit to happen yet" and I put it down to the crazy on Callies part, but then bam. My main question is, what's her intention for the child? Is this her using the child for an ulterior motive, or is she just trying to protect the identities of the four skinjobs in the fleet?

I didn't actually even remember they had a kid at this point, I find some of the backsplanation required for Battlestar escaping me, and so only now have I figured out that there are actually two human cylon children, even though I should have been "OH SHIT" at the end of season three.

Also, had I unlimited resources, I would pay Edward James Olmos a decadent sum of money to read books to me.

I'm not 100 percent certain, but didn't Cavill say something about the Sixes and co being destroyed permanently? I mean maybe not a whole model eliminated, but it seems like taking out a bunch of basestars out of range of a resurrection ship would be just the kind of prick move Cavill would pull.

I mean at this point they've seemed to abandon the façade of polite democracy and are just going at it, and you'd think he would want to make absolutely certain the sixes didn't motherfuck him again.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2008, 13:24 by Hat »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 19 Apr 2008, 14:19 »

Yeah, if the Sixes don't jump before they're destroyed, it will be permanent. Their Rezship didn't follow them. So...frak Dean Stockwell-bot.

I think that Tory understands the importance of Nicky and, also, just didn't want him to die, but had to kill Cally to protect the anonymity of the Four. Which, of course, staying in secret was the worst damn decision they could've ever made.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #47 on: 19 Apr 2008, 17:04 »

On a personal note for the 4, staying secret is their only hope.

You may remember that the fleet does not deal well with the ones that "look like us now."  A grand total of one has been accepted, not really trusted, and the rest have been eliminated, usually after being tortured, the remaining six in thr brig is an exception.  And let's face it, Starbuck has promised Anders that if he was a cylon, she'd kill him.  Can you imagine the sheer bloody minded panic that would ensue if all of the 4, especially given their roles in society, were revealed?  And the personal feelings of betrayal that Adama would feel if his oldest friend turned out to be a cylon?

Theonefish

« Reply #48 on: 19 Apr 2008, 19:04 »

I think Cally was on drugs that episode, but it seems something Baltar said got to Tory deep.

Part of the whole airlocking Cally may have been a self-defense move, and judging from next week's previews, part Cylon acceptance. Any way you look at it, though, she went bat shit nuts this episode.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #49 on: 20 Apr 2008, 07:51 »

while my wife and I were talking about the last episode we noticed that both Helo and Athena are on the Demetrious - where is Hera? 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up