THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass Guitars?  (Read 21646 times)

bobdaman27

Bass Guitars?
« on: 08 Mar 2008, 14:43 »

Yeah, at my band's show today, the neck snapped off.  It was homemade though and its been put through 80x what it was designed for so its kinda to be expected.

So I haven't bought a bass before, i'm looking for reccomendations and im a fan of thinner necks.

price range like 0-500

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
Re: Bass Guitars?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2008, 15:07 »

If you are looking for a traditional jazz style body, you want to check out sx, which you can find at rondomusic.com

Otherwise, and even if you are into jazzes, check out Cort, seriously, they are amazing for how little they cost.
I have one which became my first choice over playing my ric in most cases.

JohnnyBeGalt

« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 2008, 15:28 »

Hmm... I'd just head on up to your local music shop and see what they'd recommend for the price range.

I loved my Schecter Stiletto for the couple months I had/used it. Unfortunately, I couldn't stand playing bass (plus, the band I was with broke up), so I sold that sucker in a hot minute and picked up an old 100 watt tube amp...which I am again, about to sell, because I just don't have space, and I can't crank it (I like my neighbors. :\ ).

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2008, 15:50 »

This guy does amazingly good work out of St. Louis for less than $500.  They are all custom repros of p and j basses, but with better action and no hum issues.  I own one and love it-

http://cgi.ebay.com/60s-PRECISION-BASS-REISSUE-CUSTOM-BUILD-PRO-SET-UP_W0QQitemZ380004282827QQihZ025QQcategoryZ64401QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Check out his ebay store and see if there's anything you like.  He will also do any other standard combination you want (i.e. alder body with rosewood neck, basswood body with maple neck, etc.)  The dude's great.  PM me if you want contact info.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2008, 16:05 »

I don't play bass, but I like the look of this one:

Its at the top end of your price range, but Eastwood makes nice guitars, so they probably make nice basses.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #5 on: 08 Mar 2008, 18:39 »

My daughter's favorite bass is her Yamaha TRB1004  Believe me, the kid has a shit load of basses to choose from and it is consistently the one she always wants to play precisely because the neck is fairly thin.    I plink around on it sometimes and it's got a slimmer neck and faster action then some of my guitars.   

That particular model is a wee bit above your price range, but Yamaha makes some nice (and seriously underrated) instruments.   It's kind of a grab bag with them though.  You really have to inspect each instrument individually for quality.   Most of them are just fine, but some real junk makes it through their QA department.

The only other bass she is really after me for right now is a Rickenbacker 4003 again because of the thin neck.  Now that one is waaaaaay above what you want to pay, but I include it for illustrative purposes because having played the Ric, she likes her Yamaha better.   Schecter also makes some nice basses right at the top end of your price range that you might like for the neck. 

Since I have now confessed that I'm a) old and b) a parent, here's a couple pictures of her gigging with her TRB, and one of her hanging out with David Ellefson.  Feel free to berate me for not being cool.

[

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #6 on: 08 Mar 2008, 20:07 »

Try out a few Ibanezes. Many have necks that are very thin with incredible action, and there are at least several models within your price range.

Drawbacks:
1. the truss rods of some of the cheaper models can develop a mind of their own
2. you might be left wanting for mid-range sound
3. and you might end up looking like you belong in a nu-metal band
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #7 on: 08 Mar 2008, 22:44 »

Also in that price range, I really like the Peavey Grind.  It has a slim neck, exotic wood construction, nice woody tone, neck through construction, and Peaveys have notoriously rock-solid construction. I'm not a fan at all of "modern" looking basses, but I have seriously considered buying this badboy to add as a dirty secret to my collection.  It's hands down a better bas than the Ibanezes in the saem price range.  Check it out here-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Grind-Bass-4-BXP-NTB-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=511363

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #8 on: 09 Mar 2008, 11:02 »

Yeah, at my band's show today, the neck snapped off (snip)

(snip) im a fan of thinner necks.

I think I see the problem, sir.

Just buy a Fender P-Bass. It is the only instrument you will ever need.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

feh

« Reply #9 on: 09 Mar 2008, 11:47 »

Yeah, at my band's show today, the neck snapped off (snip)

(snip) im a fan of thinner necks.

I think I see the problem, sir.

Seconded, kinda. If you're snapping necks off, then you might want to stick to Squier. I know around "musicians" the name Squier is synonymous with the name "AIDS", but some of their newer stuff is really, really nice and much improved. Just stay away from the Affinity ones.

I like this one a lot http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-TB-Precision-Bass?sku=519758 , but if you want a thinner neck, try a Jazz bass http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639. You can't beat 'em for under three hundred bucks.

« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2008, 11:52 by feh »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #10 on: 09 Mar 2008, 12:05 »

All I'd never need in a bass would be a nice P-Bass.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #11 on: 09 Mar 2008, 15:01 »

All I know about basses is that my dad has an Ibanez he bought in 1975 for 1200$ that sounds fuckin' sweet.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

sean

• welp
« Reply #12 on: 09 Mar 2008, 15:22 »

FIGHT YOU!

Seriously, P-Basses are kinda lame. You at least need humbuckers.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #13 on: 09 Mar 2008, 15:52 »

Humbuckers on basses are lame. They take away too much treble, which is useful when you're popping/slapping/picking, in my experience. No treble = no angry sounds.

I know around "musicians" the name Squier is synonymous with the name "AIDS", but some of their newer stuff is really, really nice and much improved.

I still have never been able to convince anybody (except maybe Eugene and/or Shane) that Squier really isn't as shitty as a lot of people like to circlejerk about. You can stay.

And seriously, there has never been anything I couldn't do on a P-Bass. When it comes to instrument rigs of any type, I believe in simplicity, and the P-Bass is no exception.

You could always get a Jazz Bass. Fender's got a Geddy Lee signature one and it is rad as hell. I have played one.

Nodaisho

« Reply #14 on: 09 Mar 2008, 15:55 »

My friend has a Squier strat, and while I would say it is good for the money, I would much rather have a more expensive one if I could afford it.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Beastmouth

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #15 on: 09 Mar 2008, 15:56 »

FIGHT YOU!

What's a 2 coil pickup called, again?
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

sean

• welp
« Reply #16 on: 09 Mar 2008, 16:44 »

You could always get a Jazz Bass. Fender's got a Geddy Lee signature one and it is rad as hell. I have played one.

I play a jazz bass, mofo. Sup.
What's a 2 coil pickup called, again?

haha i get it

I mean humbuckers as in this silly.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #17 on: 09 Mar 2008, 16:51 »

A staggered-bucker? I don't care. I just don't want to have two coils picking up any one string on a bass. There's something horribly wrong about the sound it produces when there's two coils that close to each other, both of them picking up on the string. I HATE that sound.

sean

• welp
« Reply #18 on: 09 Mar 2008, 17:59 »

Okay I take back everything I have said in this thread.

I was just playing some mathy/hardcore shit on my old squier p-bass and it was ridiculously good. I just need to get some new pickups for that thing and it will be godly in combination with my j-bass.

/hypocrite

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #19 on: 09 Mar 2008, 18:04 »

That makes a total of 5 people who don't blindly hate Squiers.

Any other takers?

bobdaman27

« Reply #20 on: 09 Mar 2008, 18:29 »

well I don't blindly hate squiers, every instrrument i own is a heavily modded entry level one

not a fan of P basses dude, i just cant l ike.. i don't feel them

and as for the neck snapping off, the autopsy revealed the screws stripped their holes and just stopped functioning, its not like it b roke in half.  The neck was starting to bend, but that was due to lack of a truss rod.

currently digging some ibanez sr's squier jazz's and some schecters via i nternet, going bass shopping tomorrow

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #21 on: 09 Mar 2008, 18:58 »

The only other bass she is really after me for right now is a Rickenbacker 4003 again because of the thin neck.  Now that one is waaaaaay above what you want to pay, but I include it for illustrative purposes because having played the Ric, she likes her Yamaha better.   Schecter also makes some nice basses right at the top end of your price range that you might like for the neck.

The current 4003s have kinda chunky necks actually. They were really thin in the 70s.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #22 on: 09 Mar 2008, 19:03 »

Having never played one personally, I'll take your word for it.   Her music teacher has one that she's ape-shit about and she tells me it's the neck that she loves.  I'll have to ask her teacher what year her Ric is.

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #23 on: 09 Mar 2008, 19:14 »

Seriously, real men play a P-bass.  Want thumpy, dub sound?  Check.  Want deep biting growl?  Check.  Want nice, round, warm classic rock tones?  Check.  All that with just a volume and tone knob and plucking hand placement.  I love my p-bass.  J basses are nice, but the p-bass gets the love.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #24 on: 09 Mar 2008, 19:16 »

FIGHT YOU!

James Jamerson played a P-Bass. This means you are wrong, because I can't see how anyone can seriously say Motown didn't have good bass sound.

I prefer jazz basses myself though, and I have to say the Squire P-Bass I have sounds a bit like flicking a rubber band attached to a plank.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

JackyL

« Reply #25 on: 09 Mar 2008, 19:26 »

www.talkbass.com go to the bass guitar forums.... nuff said

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #26 on: 09 Mar 2008, 19:31 »

have you ever heard a stingray or any other Ernie Ball bass?

If you have to have an active EQ to get that sound, you're doing something wrong.

feh

« Reply #27 on: 09 Mar 2008, 19:40 »

Talkbass.com? Let's not confuse the poor guy. If you post there looking for a good bass under $ 500.00, you'll get a 10 page arguement about why seven string basses are superior to four, and people will suggest basses made of petrified redwood strung with the intestines of extinct animals that cost $ 22,000. You know, for the TONE, man.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #28 on: 09 Mar 2008, 19:49 »

I would buy an instrument made out of petrified redwood.

Beastmouth

« Reply #29 on: 09 Mar 2008, 22:21 »

[...]sounds a bit like flicking a rubber band attached to a plank.
I actually played an Ashbury bass two weeks ago.  They had one at Smashing Guitars in Asheville.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #30 on: 09 Mar 2008, 22:28 »

Talkbass.com? Let's not confuse the poor guy. If you post there looking for a good bass under $ 500.00, you'll get a 10 page arguement about why seven string basses are superior to four, and people will suggest basses made of petrified redwood strung with the intestines of extinct animals that cost $ 22,000. You know, for the TONE, man.
If they haven't changed in the 6 or 7 years since I stopped posting there, then this is completely true.

Might wanna try though, just to see what happens. Could be interesting.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

dalconnsuch

« Reply #31 on: 09 Mar 2008, 22:45 »

doesn't that kind of sound like every post ever posted on THIS forum only with different topics? the way we blow things way out of proportion in a very elitist sense?

Nodaisho

« Reply #32 on: 09 Mar 2008, 23:10 »

No... not really.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #33 on: 10 Mar 2008, 03:24 »

the way we blow things way out of proportion in a very elitist sense?

Hahahaha oh man this guy is chock full of irony

Nodaisho

« Reply #34 on: 10 Mar 2008, 14:16 »

Can I have some? I need to make a new poker for the fireplace.

bobdaman27

« Reply #35 on: 10 Mar 2008, 14:56 »

okay yeah so i went to the local music store today, and i ended up buying an ibanez soundgear.  it was absolutely amazing to play, had the greatest feel and has unbelievable range of tone with the active eq's.  the eq's give it alot more like THWUMP y'know its pretty fuckin' sweet.  on sale for 370.

feh

« Reply #36 on: 10 Mar 2008, 15:17 »

Definitely got the thin neck you wanted too. Mine feels like it weighs about 3 pounds, assuming yours is that light too?

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #37 on: 10 Mar 2008, 15:32 »

That makes a total of 5 people who don't blindly hate Squiers.

Any other takers?

I dig Squires.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #38 on: 10 Mar 2008, 15:50 »

I still have never been able to convince anybody (except maybe Eugene and/or Shane) that Squier really isn't as shitty as a lot of people like to circlejerk about. You can stay.

Well, your Squier is made of epic win and god. You got lucky with the stock one and you did a great job modding it.

I do believe that they have made a decent guitar before, but it's extremely hit or miss. They're nice for fucking with.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #39 on: 10 Mar 2008, 16:27 »

I've played lots of Squiers though and I seriously think they are the most underrated guitar brand that exists right now. Eastwood is a close second, but only because not enough people know how amazing they really are.

Seriously. Graphite nut (or just slack the strings and color the nut grooves in with a mechanical pencil). Locking tuners. Your Squier will be at least 30 times more playable than you ever thought possible, and it just takes another $85 and an hour's worth of your time.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #40 on: 11 Mar 2008, 12:27 »

I'm with Patrick on this one.

Nothing wrong with a Squier.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #41 on: 11 Mar 2008, 14:51 »

The guitars themselves aren't bad at all. It's the lack of attention to fine details and small parts that gives them a bad name.

One of my coworkers at the guitar shop I work at, for fun, takes Squier basses and guitars, puts in all new hardware and electronics, fixes up the details (neck edges, nut, tuners, etc), relics them, and puts a Fender decal on the headstock.

He then gives them to broke musician friends so they have cool instruments to fuck around with that play great. Occasionally he'll sell one as a "modified Squier" for $500-700 (he puts great electronics and many hours into each one).

Eventually when I have the knowledge necessary, and like $400 to burn, I'll do one.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #42 on: 11 Mar 2008, 15:38 »

Gene give me his number I'd like to place an order

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #43 on: 12 Mar 2008, 11:37 »

Same.

(gene can he turn a Jagmaster into a straight-up Jag?)
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2008, 12:42 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #44 on: 12 Mar 2008, 17:30 »

Yeah I'm sure, but it'd be more expensive for the parts and shit. I doubt he's willing to take orders, anyway.

I was more pitching the idea for anyone with the balls and/or experience to try it themselves.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #45 on: 13 Mar 2008, 05:21 »

Shane I doubt anybody can turn a Jagmaster into a Jag. It'd require a hell of a lot of routing for an entirely different bridge and tailpiece + electronics. I mean, I don't doubt it's possible, but it'd be more worth your while to go on Ebay and just get a MIJ/CIJ.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #46 on: 13 Mar 2008, 06:19 »

I think someone's done it before, but I can't remember who.

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #47 on: 13 Mar 2008, 10:19 »

So normally, I'm all "Don't buy a Fender® unless it's 'merican."  Yesterday, my rather patient girlfriend went with me to three music stores bass browsing and I stumbled upon a wine-red Mexi J Bass with Fender® custom shop series jazz bass pickups, a silver pearl pickguard, brand new Schallers and a total refret.  Played like friggin' butter; sounded like heaven, only boomier.   Out he door for three bills even.  All it needs now is a bridge upgrade (probably a Badass II) and a bridge cover ('cause they're cool) and it'll be perfect.  I've learned my lesson- no more ethnocentric bass buying.

Beastmouth

« Reply #48 on: 13 Mar 2008, 14:19 »

So normally, I'm all "Don't buy a Fender® unless it's 'merican."  Yesterday, my rather patient girlfriend went with me to three music stores bass browsing and I stumbled upon a wine-red Mexi J Bass with Fender® custom shop series jazz bass pickups, a silver pearl pickguard, brand new Schallers and a total refret.  Played like friggin' butter; sounded like heaven, only boomier.   Out he door for three bills even.  All it needs now is a bridge upgrade (probably a Badass II) and a bridge cover ('cause they're cool) and it'll be perfect.  I've learned my lesson- no more ethnocentric bass buying.
American Fenders usually have possibly better h/w and possibly worse construction than their Japanese counterparts.

Guess which of these you can fix.

feh

« Reply #49 on: 13 Mar 2008, 14:42 »

Plus, the American and Mexican models are pretty cookie-cutter in the looks department. The really cool stuff is made in Japan. Like the Jag bass and a few other unusual ones. I like browsing the Fender Ishibashi site, but I haven't looked into how difficult it would be to get them to ship one to the US.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up