THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 16:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Eighth Harry Potter Movie  (Read 39631 times)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
The Eighth Harry Potter Movie
« on: 13 Mar 2008, 07:00 »

That's right, there will be an eighth Harry Potter movie, though it's not what you might initially think.

Yes, it's obviously a big part milking the franchise, but not by adding additional crap on top of the series. It seems that Warner Brothers has decided it prudent to split the Deathly Hallows into two movies and I couldn't agree more. The last three movies (Though I enjoyed Order of the Phoenix enough) were severely gimped by time constraints. They've come to the (Accurate) conclusion that there is effectively no way to properly trim this one like the others and still come to a proper conclusion.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
Re: The Eighth Harry Potter Movie
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2008, 08:01 »

I am really happy about this as it means they won't have to chop the book up so badly, but I really wish they would release the two a little closer together. It would be great if there could be some overlap where both films were in theaters at the same time so you could buy a ticket for both and watch them in the same day. November to May is a long time to wait for the second half of a movie.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2008, 09:41 »

::sigh:: Okay...they were tossing around the idea to spit 4 into two parts too...so why is it OK to split up DH but not GoF? I mean, yeah it's the "end" and we need the "whole" story...but still...
I just want to see "eighth" one then. I am seriously only seeing the movie to watch Alan Rickman die so I can cry. Seriously. I have no interest in really seeing six or "seven". The movies were fun when they started, but after they destroyed PoA, I lost my faith in them.
(And ohmigod, I'm totally wearing my Snape shirt right now)

waterloosunset

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2008, 09:48 »

i jumped out of my seat thinking there would be a new book as well!!! anywya, sounds like a good idea, hopefully much more of the story can be included then rather than cutting vast segments
but is it definetly going to be a big gap between them, or will they be released with just a months difference?

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2008, 09:58 »

About six months between the two November 2010 and May 2011), which I feel is reasonable. If they released them only a month apart, they'd cannabalize each other in terms of box office gross. Having them any further apart, though, runs into issues with pacing. I think they're hitting the sweet spot on it.
JON MADE ME GAY

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2008, 11:41 »

I'm happy about this.  The last two books are simply amazing.  I think the last book is well worth a two parter after all these years of watching.  I know, money grubbing, but still, might create a better end product.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2008, 11:44 »

::sigh:: Okay...they were tossing around the idea to spit 4 into two parts too...so why is it OK to split up DH but not GoF? I mean, yeah it's the "end" and we need the "whole" story...but still...

It's mostly because there's not really any good place to split GoF.  DH has a period of intense activity at the beginning and a period of intense activity at the end, with a period of pretty much nothing in the middle.  It splits up a lot more easily.

ThePQ4

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2008, 12:21 »

...Well, I'm not going to argue about it. I don't particularly care for GoF anyway, so I wasn't overly heartbroken when they cut all of the good stuff out --I was just annoyed.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2008, 12:33 »

I'm going to echo Misconception's sentiments here.  I want to see both of them, back to back, in the theater.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2008, 13:00 »

If they would release them about four months apart instead I think I could catch the first part at my local dollar theater and the second at the regular theater, but I highly doubt this will work with a six month gap.

Also, for those that have read the book, let's speculate as to where they will split the movies!
Liz is touching me.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2008, 13:30 »

Right after Harry and Hermione hook up, but right before Harry and Ron hook up.

Wait, that's all from slash-fic.

ThePQ4

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2008, 13:33 »

Hmm...I'd have to get out my book to really speculate on that... But maybe after Dobby's death?

...Hey, maybe we should put a spoiler tag in the title, just in case some silly person decides to read (although honestly, if you don't know what happens by now...)

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2008, 13:57 »

Man, by the time they finish making all these movies the kids are gonna be pushing thirty, surely? That's some serious Beverly Hills 90210 territory we're getting into. Weird and horrifying!

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2008, 14:31 »

Well, the first book was published in 1997.  So, yeah, those who started reading at 8 won't yet be thirty.  They'll be 22.

I'll be thirty, though.  Creepy.

ThePQ4

« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2008, 14:39 »

If the last one comes out in 2010, I think it said, the oldest will be ...23? That's not that overly far-fetched.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2008, 14:57 »

Wow, so this means they'll be able to include the 200 unnecessary pages of pointless, repetitious, boring wandering that took place in the middle of the book. Cool!
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2008, 15:33 »

Hey, it wasn't pointless!  It was aimless.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2008, 15:54 »

Wow, so this means they'll be able to include the 200 unnecessary pages of pointless, repetitious, boring wandering that took place in the middle of the book. Cool!

I think that's the part they mean to leave out entirely.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ThePQ4

« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2008, 18:03 »

But then it would all fit into one movie ;)

Honestly, all they need to get in there are :The deaths, going to the Black Manor/"making friends with Kreacher" ,The wedding, the information about Voldemort's past, and the battle of Hogwarts, and the romance between Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione

But of course, that's a lot of information thrown to be thrown at you without little things in between to cut it all up.

I think a lot of us will agree that the "Epilogue" is one thing that can be cut without any broken hearts.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2008, 18:42 by ThePQ4 »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2008, 18:31 »

Kreacher, you mean.

Though I'm glad they want to get it all in there, I'm kind of disappointed they didn't pull a LotR and just make extended versions, which is really what I think they should have done and should do. But whateverrrr. Too bad I have to wait six months, but oh well, I'll suck it up and fork over my money.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ThePQ4

« Reply #20 on: 13 Mar 2008, 18:42 »

--Fixed.
I can't spell. Jeez.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #21 on: 13 Mar 2008, 19:11 »

There's still plenty to add. Most importantly, unless they plan to change the title, they need to include the Deathly Hallows...

They also need to cover the Horcruxes and tidy up some of the loose ends and plot holes left over by shit that was cut from the prior movies (Such as Kreacher taking Regulus' locket and covering what the Hell happened to Barty Crouch Jr.). In order to avoid cutting too much from Half Blood Prince, they'll have to hold a lot of stuff over until Deathly Hallows makes it to the screen.

In terms of ages...you people do realize that principle filming will be long since done for both of them before the first one even sees the screen? Radcliffe will likely be twenty when they finish up (In order to get everything done for December 2010, they'd probably have to finish up summer of 2010 when he's about to turn 21), which is definitely reasonable in terms of playing a seventeen year old. Shit, I'm about a week shy of twenty-four and I can pass for seventeen when I shave.
JON MADE ME GAY

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #22 on: 13 Mar 2008, 20:21 »

Considering I'm the same height as I was when I was 17, with a bit of make-up and different clothes, I could pass for my younger self. At least he's not like...10 years senior of his character.

And it's not like they can't add things to the newer movies for explanation, I think they should have just done it sooner with the first 5 movies. It's ok to have a movie that's 3 hours long! No, I do not want to sit in a theater for more than that, but would I have gotten the DVDs with all the stuff you had to cut out? HECK YES! It would satisfy my nerdish tendencies! (And no, a few deleted scenes that you can watch in the extras section is not an extended version.) I know the constraints with translating a book into a movie, but there are some key things in every one of them that there was plenty of time to explain. GoF would have been better spent explaining the Crouch's instead of having some long dragon chase which was about a page in the book. The first two movies were more successful because the books were shorter, so cutting stuff was easier, but when you cut things, it's kind of silly to cut or change the things that really matter.

Oh, and if they play up the Dumbledore being gay thing in the last movie, I will find the director and the screen writer/s and slap them for their shenanigans.

:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ThePQ4

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2008, 20:30 »

Apparently Micheal Gambon has been hamming up the gay-thing off-scene, but he's pretty much business in front of the camera.
I don't think they'll mess with that. Dumbeldore is a dignified character. You can't just suddenly make him every stereotype.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2008, 20:32 »

Average age of people in this thread: 20(at least)
Average age of target demographic of Harry Potter movies: 14(at most)
Amount of people over the age of the target demographic who think they are the target demographic because they argue about it on the internet obsessively: An internet's worth.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2008, 20:37 »

Oh, and if they play up the Dumbledore being gay thing in the last movie, I will find the director and the screen writer/s and slap them for their shenanigans.

Oh God, I never even considered this possibility!

I swear to God if we get a shot of Dumbledore looking dewy-eyed at Grindlewald in flashbacks, everyone around me in the cinema better duck and cover
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2008, 01:20 »

[edit]
The movies were fun when they started, but after they destroyed PoA, I lost my faith in them.

Seriously, dead on.  The movies are so far from complete I can't even watch them anymore.  Makes me so angry!!

And I'm sorry, they CANNOT say this isn't mostly about money.  I'm not saying 100%, but come on - all the movies since PoA have hacked the books to f***ing pieces and made me upset.  I haven't even seen OotP yet, because I could barely care anymore.  I already know they're gonna chop it up beyond all recognition, so why even bother watching it? 

EVERY other story they're content to murder, but the last one, the one everyone will get all sentimental about - all of a sudden they decide to devise a way to make TWICE as much money in ticket sales, DVD sales and rentals - but "no, no, it's just so we can tell the whole story."

What a crock.
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

ThePQ4

« Reply #27 on: 14 Mar 2008, 06:41 »

Omg, someone agreed with me. I might have a heart attack..

Anyway, I think I'm going to re-read DH over my spring break...I would try to read them ALL again over Spring Break, but I don't think I'll have quite -that- much time...

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #28 on: 14 Mar 2008, 15:15 »

Seriously? If you have one day off from work or doing anything in particular outside of regular household chores you can knock the first 3 books over in one - two days. Goblet of Fire usually takes me about two days of reading, same with Order of the Phoenix. Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows probably need a little extra time for the sheer amount of content (I usually have to re-read entire pages). Basically what I am saying is that if your spring break is at least about 2 and a half weeks you will totally have enough time.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #29 on: 14 Mar 2008, 17:43 »

Psh, what are you talking about? They can each be read in a day. Trust me...
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #30 on: 14 Mar 2008, 17:48 »

I read DH in less than six hours, no stopping. This was from 12:30 am to 6 am after I bought it at midnight.
Liz is touching me.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #31 on: 14 Mar 2008, 18:17 »

Yes they can each be read in a day (Books 1-3 can all be read in the same day). My estimates are going off the assumption that there will be many interruptions. The only reading time I get is on the train or bus to uni or work.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #32 on: 14 Mar 2008, 22:22 »

i read the entire series in a week, and the first three books I knocked over in a leisurely afternoon with a couple of beers which made me feel kind of like a paedophile.

If they would release them about four months apart instead I think I could catch the first part at my local dollar theater and the second at the regular theater, but I highly doubt this will work with a six month gap.

If you take into account the insane amount of business the last movies are going to do as a result of being the closer of this series, you might just be wrong there.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #33 on: 14 Mar 2008, 23:08 »

I swear to God if we get a shot of Dumbledore looking dewy-eyed at Grindlewald in flashbacks, everyone around me in the cinema better duck and cover

tell me when you go to the movie i want to see this
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #34 on: 14 Mar 2008, 23:19 »

and you're not the only one.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #35 on: 14 Mar 2008, 23:49 »

I doubt I'll see these movies, but one thing that does make me curious is what they're going to name them. I really hope they can come up with someting better than The Deathly Hallows Part 1/Part 2 but nothing really occures to me.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

muteKi

« Reply #36 on: 15 Mar 2008, 00:49 »

Basically what I am saying is that if your spring break is at least about 2 and a half weeks you will totally have enough time.

Shit, some people get 2 and a half weeks worth of spring break? Damn.

ThePQ4

« Reply #37 on: 15 Mar 2008, 07:38 »

. Basically what I am saying is that if your spring break is at least about 2 and a half weeks you will totally have enough time.

My spring break is 1 week --and I have to work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday --Saturday and Sunday. Then, I am going with my Mom to get her first tattoo on Thursday, but I can read at the parlor so that's not that big a deal. Plus, I want to play some Guitar Hero so people stop bitching at me 'cause I don't have any songs when they go to play (they are so fuckin' picky...)

I tend to read really quickly the first time I read something, so when I read it the second time around, I like to take my time with it so I absorb more of it. I'm amazed when I read Manga or comic books a second time around and catch things in the art that I never noticed before.

Oh, and besides: I've probably read the first 3 books about 20+ times each. It's the last four that I need to read more.

waterloosunset

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #38 on: 16 Mar 2008, 03:04 »

i too should probably reread the more recent books.

and 2011? I'll be waaay over the target demographic by then, and probbably abroad

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #39 on: 16 Mar 2008, 14:07 »

Well, I haven't been too keen on any of the Harry Potter movies so far (except for Prisoner of Azkaban- that was a wonderful surprise), and I can't see them doing much better with this one. It's a good idea to split it into two parts because of the length, but that just leaves more for them to do wrong with.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

cupcakeonastick

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Balderdash!
« Reply #40 on: 16 Mar 2008, 14:49 »

My favorite part of all five of the movies, thus far, has been Luna Lovegood.

I swear to god, an actual frickin' wizard pulled her right out of the dang book. She's perfect!
I've seen bears do things even a bear wouldn't do.

Muskrat121

« Reply #41 on: 18 Mar 2008, 06:18 »

I am so with you on that.  I wish I knew someone like that so she could be my friend.  Better yet, I wish I could find this wizard of which you speak and have him get her for me.   I'd be all like, "My god, you're insane...YOU TOTALLY KICK ASS!"

As for a "the eighth" movie, it doesn't really surprise me.  When they made the first one there was talk of splitting up the fourth book into two parts.  I have to imagien the reason they didn't split 4 or 5 (and as far as I know 6) is because then you would end up with a whole bunch of really long movies.  I can see it working once, but not four times.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #42 on: 18 Mar 2008, 16:30 »

Jesus. We're really going to have to put up with Harry Potter until 2011? I thought that, with the last book, it would finally end or at least die down. No such luck.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

foozlesprite

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #43 on: 20 Mar 2008, 05:39 »

When the 6th book came out I was at a summer camp.  In between classes, meals, and field trips, as well as chatting with friends, I managed to read books 1-5 in 2 days, and I have NO CLUE how I did it.  Then I read 6 in one day.  *boggle*

ThePQ4

« Reply #44 on: 20 Mar 2008, 06:14 »

You just read all of the good parts, lol.

I know sometimes when I'm bored, and I don't really want to read the WHOLE book, I'll just go back and read certain chapters that I really liked. Like the chapters w/ Snape's past in it from OotP. --Speaking of reading, I still haven't read DH again yet. I am kind of caught up in editing...oh well. It's not like my book is GOING anywhere...

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #45 on: 20 Mar 2008, 23:31 »

I think I'm going to wait a few years... give me time to forget the smaller details.  Then I'll read them again, hopefully still being to enjoy them just as much as the first time (or 2). 
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Ikrik

« Reply #46 on: 23 Mar 2008, 16:14 »

I've been steadily dissapointed by each movie.  Every time a new one comes out they have all these interviews and in each one (since the third) Daniel Radcliffe or Emma Watson or Rupert Grint specifically state "oh yeah, we really gave it our all, we really stepped up our acting this time, it's the best Harry Potter movie yet."  And every time I am treated to the same overacting, the same annoying, awkward moments.  Gary Oldman did his amazing performances in 3 of the films.  Dumbledore has always been amazing.  However, everything else is not.  I'll be avoiding however many movies they decide to put out for the 8th movie, I don't see how it'll make a difference.  It'll seem less hurried but it'll still have the same overacting and terrible filmmaking except...you'll have to put up with it for longer.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #47 on: 24 Mar 2008, 01:42 »

Alan Rickman is the only reason why I'd watch this.

angelpants

« Reply #48 on: 23 Apr 2008, 14:30 »

I cried many a time in book 7 but i don't think films 7 and 8 will have quite the same effect due to the cagey awkward acting.

Also, I don't think Daniel Radcliffe will have any trouble still looking 17. However, I have no idea what they will do if they include the shitty epilogue thing. He can't pull of being over 30.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #49 on: 23 Apr 2008, 14:47 »

They'll probably just use the guy who plays the dad in his flashbacks. 

And by 2010, I'm fairly certain he'll have gotten some facial hair anyway, it would then just be a matter of prosthetics.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up