THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 03:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This comic is truly amazing - and now I am sad.  (Read 12499 times)

Commander Bob

I was reading xkcd the other day when I saw under the "favorite webcomics" section something called Questionable Content.  Hm, I thought.  Looks interesting.

I have spent a little over a week reading the entire friggin' series from #1.  I was actually quite distraught today when I hit "next" and it was just the same comic.  Now I'm stuck reading just one a day!  But I digress.  I was just wondering if anybody else had tried this, to see how the whole story unfolded in hyper speed.  I was really surpised when I went back to comic #1 and saw the difference in art.  It totally snuck up on me, even while I was reading it in that small space of time.

Has anybody picked up on other such drastic changes since the story's beginning?  Hannelore's character changed a lot since we first saw her, but that's really one of the only other things I've noticed - QC is pretty consistent considering it's spanned some five years.

Blackcat Moebius

• Plantmonster
  • No mushrooms.
Re: This comic is truly amazing - and now I am sad.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2008, 17:44 »

Well, yes.  The changes the comic has undergone - both in art and writing - are a common subject of discussion around here.

That, and most of us hardcore fans reread the whole archive every now and then.

Welcome!

(and 'oh no, I'm through the archive and have to wait now' is a pretty common reaction - both to QC and several other comics).

jatoskep

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2008, 19:32 »

Yeah, I read the entire archive in about 3 days, really disappointed to get only 1 a day now. ;_;

AshiHalfangel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2008, 21:08 »

I did the same as well...it feels like forever when the one comic gets uploaded.  :cry:

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2008, 21:24 »

Yeah, I read the entire archive in about 3 days, really disappointed to get only 1 a day now. ;_;

I discovered QC and Girl Genius in the same weekend.

I didn't get anything done that weekend.  Come Monday I was anxious for updates.

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2008, 06:15 »

All I can say is thank goodness Jeph updates every Mon-Fri.
VGCats has so many delays, put off for months to the point I don't even read it anymore.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2008, 07:38 »

I feel this way about QC as well as my other favs (Schlock Mercenary, Girl Genius, something positive, Order of the Stick).  But I console myself with beer and family so its all good.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2008, 12:28 »

Going on an archive binge is great until you hit the end of the line and withdrawal starts to sink in. I know that's what happened when I found QC (and other comics, as well). Once you get caught up and there is no more, you start getting a sort of disoriented "now what?" feeling, right? (Or am I the only one?)

It could be worse, you could read the entire Garfield archive. It would just take about 18 hours of nonstop reading, if you only take 10 seconds per comic. :laugh:

Really, waiting isn't too bad once the shakes subside.

VGCats has so many delays, put off for months to the point I don't even read it anymore.

Yeah, why bother reading anymore if he's not going to commit to an update schedule? For example, I used to read Punks and Nerds but they've updated a whopping 8 times so far this year, including 'sketches'. There's only 3 actual comics. At least Scott puts something up more frequently than that.
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2008, 12:49 by bicostp »

Helios05

• Plantmonster
  • Having fun and dark sacrifices!
« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2008, 12:34 »

To get a wee bit off topic, they have actually made a comic where they mention this problem, and while they still don't do every monday like the site claims, they do update a little more often. I think the guy just doesn't know how to change the title anymore, so he doesn't update the schedule anymore, but it's still funny, just check back about the same time every month and there is usually a few new ones to look at, and their funny every time.

Back on topic, yeah, I just got through re-reading some of the old ones, try to find a specific comic I wanted to link to to make a point in the weekly discussion thread, but it took so long I just stopped bothering and just kept re-reading.

One way I've found to keep from getting anxious waiting for updates is to read several webcomics. Checking out Keenspace and just doing random searches has yielded some fine results, and I even had to cut back on some because I was running out of time to read the ones I really wanted to read. Also, free browser games, work wonders when you have to wait long periods of time for anything.
"I'm fucking tripping balls! Ask Oak!"
"Bitch be TRIPPING balls!"
WOW player
Server: Zuluhed
Guild: Galactic Alliance
PM Veey or Heavenstrike to join!

LimeDZeze

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2008, 14:25 »

"It could be worse, you could read the entire Garfield archive. It would just take about 18 hours of nonstop reading, if you only take 10 seconds per comic."

I don't know if anything could be worse than Garfield, or Frank & Ernest. However, you could read Garfield Minus Garfield, a vast improvement over the original garbage:

http://garfieldminusgarfield.tumblr.com/

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2008, 14:51 »

To get a wee bit off topic, they have actually made a comic where they mention this problem, and while they still don't do every monday like the site claims, they do update a little more often. I think the guy just doesn't know how to change the title anymore, so he doesn't update the schedule anymore, but it's still funny, just check back about the same time every month and there is usually a few new ones to look at, and their funny every time.

This is true.  And while I really don't check on it often.  I do occassionally hop on and read all the new ones in a binge.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2008, 15:09 »

If I had to guess what's been causing update problems for VGCats, it would be this: Ramsoomair graduated from college.

EvilBonsai

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2008, 03:38 »

I discovered QC and Girl Genius in the same weekend.

I didn't get anything done that weekend.  Come Monday I was anxious for updates.

Holy Crap! Girl Genius is by PHIL FOGLIO!!

I was reading his stuff in the mid-80's! First DRAGON magazine then in Robert Asprin's MYTH series (as illustrator)

Thanks for this pointer. Never would have known...

foozlesprite

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2008, 06:12 »

My fiance and I found this from an archive of tributes to Gary Gygax.  My fiance and I love it and we started from the beginning as well.  Most of the changes in the comic kind of creep up on you...and then you realize you've hit the last one and hit "First" to see where it all started.  BAM!  Totally different art style.  At the beginning I preferred the old style and now I think I prefer the new one.  Sven is much hotter now than he would have been in the normal style  ;)

Chazbot

« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2008, 13:59 »

I went on a QC hiatus for a bit for reasons I don't quite remember.  Anyway, I came back to the over 600 new strips (when I stopped, hannelore hadn't been introduced yet) and just marathoned the whole thing. I still read about 15 random ones a day.

thatryanguy

« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2008, 18:14 »

I feel the same. Found this comic 2 days ago. I finished it that night. When you read over 1000 pages of a comic in one day, you can be declared legally dead in some parts of Canada.

Fortunately I'm not in one of them, cause being a zombie would mean I'd have to find some way to kill myself o.o

Butch

« Reply #16 on: 27 Mar 2008, 19:13 »

"It could be worse, you could read the entire Garfield archive. It would just take about 18 hours of nonstop reading, if you only take 10 seconds per comic."

I don't know if anything could be worse than Garfield, or Frank & Ernest. However, you could read Garfield Minus Garfield, a vast improvement over the original garbage:http://garfieldminusgarfield.tumblr.com/
Wow... it is an amazing improvement.  "Jon the Suburbanite and Adventures in Losing Your Mind."  So sad that taking apart the final product increases its appeal.

thatryanguy

« Reply #17 on: 27 Mar 2008, 21:51 »

It's not so much taking it apart, as trimming unnecessary bits away. Pruning it until perfection is attained.

Econoline

• Plantmonster
« Reply #18 on: 28 Mar 2008, 00:46 »

I don't know if anything could be worse than Garfield, or Frank & Ernest. However, you could read Garfield Minus Garfield, a vast improvement over the original garbage:

http://garfieldminusgarfield.tumblr.com/

I saw a link to that GarfieldminusGarfield site on another board recently. Somebody there made the comment that if you subtracted Jon too it'd probably be even better.
There's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

star.torturer

« Reply #19 on: 28 Mar 2008, 04:12 »

I read it all in one day.... and yeah Garfield-Garfield is great... but this is better

and I am seriously wondering if I will beable to cope without it this weekend...

Joe

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #20 on: 28 Mar 2008, 09:39 »

Questionable Content is good.  It's not supercrazy"I'mgonnavomitonmycatifIdon'thaveit" good, but I don't think many webcomics are.  I read through the entire archive over a few days at my local college library.  It's a good thing when a webcomic with a lacking in art (QC in the beginning) can keep you coming back because of the writing.

Also, GarfieldMinusGarfield is godly.

entropic93

• Not quite a lurker
  • HEY!
« Reply #21 on: 17 Apr 2008, 09:50 »

Yeah, I found QC a few weeks ago (I think the current comic was the morning after faye+sven). I was so disappointed when I got to the end! and just a heads up, weekends suck. It's like 3 days with no QC!
Holy mother of pasteurized milk, that stagecoach is out of control!

Hitch-Hiker

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #22 on: 17 Apr 2008, 15:37 »

I was reading xkcd the other day when I saw under the "favorite webcomics" section something called Questionable Content.  Hm, I thought.  Looks interesting.

I have spent a little over a week reading the entire friggin' series from #1.  I was actually quite distraught today when I hit "next" and it was just the same comic.  Now I'm stuck reading just one a day!  But I digress.  I was just wondering if anybody else had tried this, to see how the whole story unfolded in hyper speed.  I was really surpised when I went back to comic #1 and saw the difference in art.  It totally snuck up on me, even while I was reading it in that small space of time.

Has anybody picked up on other such drastic changes since the story's beginning?  Hannelore's character changed a lot since we first saw her, but that's really one of the only other things I've noticed - QC is pretty consistent considering it's spanned some five years.
The exact same thing happened to me when I discovered it a couple of months ago. I didn't notice the difference in art at all until I looked back again. And yes, I was horribly disappointed when I got to the end and only had one per day to read.
oooh, the hair thieves!

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #23 on: 17 Apr 2008, 19:40 »

Yeah, I found QC a few weeks ago (I think the current comic was the morning after faye+sven). I was so disappointed when I got to the end! and just a heads up, weekends suck. It's like 3 days with no QC!

Umm but QC updates 5 out of 7 days a week, so that means no QC for 2 days, not 3.
britMonster is all hot and bothered by the thought of febreeze.

you're invited : www.lost.eu/75505
Pages: [1]   Go Up