THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 13:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any QC-like comics on the interwebs?  (Read 61845 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: Any QC-like comics on the interwebs?
« Reply #50 on: 20 Aug 2013, 06:33 »

...people went nuts...the artist couldn't handle the masses of folks complaining about it...

Whats with artists not accepting criticism well? Are they so cushioned with pyrrhic praise that one stray comment shatters that illusion?

Well, there you go.  One stray comment wasn't the problem.  Even the most well balanced person in the world will have a hard time continuing a project if all they're getting for feedback is bitching. 

And I've read comics that took - I dunno - hundreds of pages of storytelling to get to the title's theme.  Hell, if you read this one for genuine "questionable content", you're still waiting...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ackblom12

« Reply #51 on: 20 Aug 2013, 10:48 »

I'd question more what's up with people assuming that the free webcomic they're reading needs to be tailored to their exact specifications? While not wanting any criticisms at all is obviously stupid, fans of free content (fans in general really) are regularly some of the most entitled shits known to humankind.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #52 on: 20 Aug 2013, 11:29 »

Hmm. Maybe people with feelings of entitlement are drawn to entertainment they don't have to pay for? Then it only takes a small number of them to make a lot of noise. Then if the artist has other things going on, the abuse could push them over the edge.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #53 on: 20 Aug 2013, 11:52 »

Well, there's criticism and there's the juvenile trash-talk fest that is the free and unfettered internet. Granted, you should see that coming by now, but that doesn't make it any less like a constantly renewed supply of rat droppings in your coffee -- and whassamatter, hurr hurr, you git all butthurt by free speech?

I second any and all of the comments about entitlement, too.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #54 on: 20 Aug 2013, 12:03 »

I third them.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #55 on: 20 Aug 2013, 12:07 »

and whassamatter, hurr hurr, you git all butthurt by free speech?

When that attitude causes them to defy the forum rules they discover the downside of it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #56 on: 20 Aug 2013, 12:29 »

When that attitude causes them to defy the forum rules they discover the downside of it.

I feel the need, unjustifiably I hope, to point out my italicized comment quoted above was meant sarcastically.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #57 on: 20 Aug 2013, 12:49 »

So I decided to check out Dumbing of Age, starting from the start.

This is what happened.

And now I am finished. Curses.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2013, 13:06 by Loki »
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #58 on: 20 Aug 2013, 14:57 »

This is what happened.

It was exactly the same for me, when I checked it out for the first time a few weeks ago. After I looked into Rommies! and Shortpacked I gotta say, DoA is by far the best of Willis' works. It's brilliant.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #59 on: 20 Aug 2013, 17:02 »

I feel the need, unjustifiably I hope, to point out my italicized comment quoted above was meant sarcastically.

Umbershdood.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #60 on: 20 Aug 2013, 20:45 »

The problem tends to occur more in those unmoderated comment sections most comics put up. 

The more experienced artists don't have those. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #61 on: 21 Aug 2013, 01:16 »

So would that make Dave Willis an unexperienced artist? He has those sections in both Shortpacked and DoA. Although, if I think about it, I'm not sure if they are really unmoderated. There's a lot of arguing going on, though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #62 on: 21 Aug 2013, 01:24 »

Nothing wrong with arguing, per se; it's the nature and manner of the argument that needs moderating.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #63 on: 21 Aug 2013, 01:48 »

This is what happened.

Good. Now read "Roomies!", "It's Walky!", the free strips from "Joyce and Walky!", and "Shortpacked!".

Not only does that keep you busy a little longer, it also makes you appreciate DOA even more. Just brace yourself, there will be "feels".

By the way, at least the old comment system which is used on DOA is moderated. Before your comment becomes visible it has to be manually approved. Shortpacked!'s site just changed completely, so I don't know how it's managed there.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #64 on: 21 Aug 2013, 05:40 »

Ankh, you do realize you sound like an evil mentor?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #65 on: 21 Aug 2013, 17:51 »

I was very well aware of that. While writing that first sentence I couldn't get Darth Sidious out of my mind…
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #66 on: 21 Aug 2013, 21:23 »

The sentence "Good."?

Eternal_Newbie

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #67 on: 23 Aug 2013, 03:17 »

Good. Now read "Roomies!", "It's Walky!", the free strips from "Joyce and Walky!", and "Shortpacked!".

Despite what everyone claims it's perfectly possible to read and enjoy Shortpacked! without having read Roomies and It's Walky.  I only read them recently and don't feel like I missed anything, and I've read Shortpacked! for years.

You don't need to know Robin, Mike and Utracar's origin stories to enjoy (or dislike) them as characters. Galasso resurrects strangers and historical figures because he's an insane and incompetent would be evil mastermind. You don't need to know where he got the technology (There is more to him than that, but that's explained in Shortpacked!). Reading the earlier works does explain some minor stuff and a couple of Mike's motivations (but not why he's an asshole), but read them because you want to, not because you feel obliged.

And Dumbing of Age is designed to be self standing, so again, read the earlier works because you want to and when you feel like it, not because you feel obliged to.

« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2013, 05:56 by Eternal_Newbie »
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #68 on: 23 Aug 2013, 16:12 »

I know that, I read DoA first, then read through SP!, and then through the rest of the Walkyverse. I was surprised how much I had missed. Rereading DoA is great after reading the Walkyverse. There's so much to discover, and it's so great to see the characters again.
Still I would recommend reading Roomies!/IW! betore SP!. There were many strips in SP! where I didn't understand a thing, and just had to skip through that stuff, shrugging (apart from all the Transformers strips).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up