THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Television shows we hate  (Read 79604 times)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
Re: Television shows we hate
« Reply #200 on: 03 Aug 2008, 23:57 »

When it comes to CI, I like me some Chris Noth, Logan is a detective not some kooky crime solving psychic.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #201 on: 04 Aug 2008, 00:16 »

It's good to have Logan back but I actually liked the crazy dude, or at least the actor.  I could see him playing The Joker as well as Heath Ledger did.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #202 on: 04 Aug 2008, 00:40 »

You mean Vincent D'Onofrio? Th only bat-related things I could ever see him as are Humpty-Dumpty and the Penguin.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #203 on: 04 Aug 2008, 01:01 »

I dunno, when I saw Dark Knight and Joker was talking directly to Batman, it reminded me very much of the way D'onofrio would interrogate psychos, only sort of reversed, only not really.

Shut up I'm tired.   :|

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #204 on: 05 Aug 2008, 13:58 »

Eh, CI never got me as much as SVU.  There is a whole lot more story going on in SVU.  CI has the complexity of Goren on its side, but I personally think that the complexity is strongly diluted by Eames infallible bitchiness.  It's hard to relate to either character because they're all so extreme.  I do like the Noth side of the show a good bit though.  SVU immerses you in the characters' worlds and they seem very realistic.  Also Stephanie March.

Vanilla - Jerry Orbach =/= Entertaining show

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #205 on: 05 Aug 2008, 14:20 »

Orbach was one of the best detectives they ever had  :x  Especially the story arc with his junkie daughter.

SVU is awesome just because ICE-T AND RICHARD BELZER, TOGETHER AT LAST.

But I kinda hate the douchey "I HAVE KIDS MYSELF MAN I KNOW HOW IT IS" guy and the bitchy "MEN ARE PIGS ASDF" woman (Mariska whatserface?)

Team up Ice-T with Noth in CI and that would be the business right there.

Thlayli

« Reply #206 on: 05 Aug 2008, 22:11 »

The thing is, Family Guy, or The Office, or House or ....

Well, they aren't *bad* shows, they just might now be up ones alley, so to speak.  And I find it rather odd that the same type of people who once hailed Family Guy as genius, with enough veracity to actually petition the studios so successfully that it got put back on air, are the same type of people who have since denounced it.  Sounds a little like post-hipsterdom to me, the same people who for instance loved Vice Magazine in the past, now hate on it for being hipster dribble for the masses.  Its a classic case of people letting the fanbase determine the quality rather than the actual content.

Im fulling willing to allow the fact that some people never liked Family Guy from the get go, but this current backlash its experiencing doesnt ring true.

I'm one of those people that loved the show and turned against it, and none of that stuff applies to me. The fact of the matter is, MacFarlane burned through all of his jokes during the show's first run on Fox. Everything since then has just been running the same five jokes into the ground. And the effect was amplified when he changed the way he drew the characters a tiny little bit, got new voice actors, and called it American Dad.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #207 on: 06 Aug 2008, 08:16 »

I couldnt hate anything I ever liked... except certain women, but thats a little bit different.

By and large though, I dont watch anything I have much of a chance of hating, let alone merely not liking.  I whore metacritic and friendly opinion for my television choices before I watch.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #208 on: 22 Dec 2008, 23:48 »

D'onofrio is like William Shatner to me.  And not in a good way.

South Park...everytime I start to like them they slip some libertarian issue into the mix or hypocritically create an episode denigrating some celebrity for supporting an issue that they disagree with.  Also the ridiculous global warming denial in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence kinda annoys me as well.

Heroes got a bit better in Season 3, but wtf is up with Robert Forster's over the top acting?

Oh, and I also never watch television ever and the book was a million times better and they should've ended after season x and reality television blows/is the greatest thing since sliced bread and they totally jumped the shark after she left in season 6 and they moved to a new network and took the production back to the US.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #209 on: 23 Dec 2008, 00:02 »

Okay, calm down and try that last part again.

Che_Lab

• Not quite a lurker
  • I didn't sign up for this forum willfully.
« Reply #210 on: 23 Dec 2008, 03:15 »

Heroes, just because its the only television I hear about (and its constantly) from my mother.  I don't watch tv because I dislike so much of its programming, but I can probably name at least 10 shows i legitimately like.
When I signed up for this forum, I had read the comic once, a year prior.

I don't think its that great of a sig either.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #211 on: 23 Dec 2008, 17:57 »

The fanbase of Heroes has turned me off of that show forever.  When it ends and fades from peoples minds I might consider watching it.

Ikrik

« Reply #212 on: 23 Dec 2008, 18:18 »

because then I won't have to hear about it constantly while I watch it.  I have no interest in watching it now but in a couple years I will probably change my mind.  I know I did the same thing with Buffy and The X Files.

Che_Lab

• Not quite a lurker
  • I didn't sign up for this forum willfully.
« Reply #213 on: 23 Dec 2008, 20:17 »

The fanbase of Heroes has turned me off of that show forever.  When it ends and fades from peoples minds I might consider watching it.

My thoughts exactly.
When I signed up for this forum, I had read the comic once, a year prior.

I don't think its that great of a sig either.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #214 on: 23 Dec 2008, 20:50 »

I hate the Office. Both versions. Saying that may get my crucified here, but it's the truth. My whole family thinks they show is absolutely hilarious and it pisses me off to the extreme when we watch it during family movie night. I just don't understand why it's so good.
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #215 on: 23 Dec 2008, 22:04 »

That's understandable actually.  I like the American version quite a bit, but the use of cringe-as-comedy does get really grating after a while.  When my a friend of mine originally told me about it and had me watch it, I spent half the time with a knot in my stomach and a grimace on my face.  I think it's a show that grows on you, but you have to be able to stomach those first few viewings.  Steve Carell plays an incredible jerk/nice guy with no charisma, and all the semihemidemi-plots are really fun to follow, but it's initially really hard to get into the show just because it's too painfully familiar and embarassing.

Elk

• Emoticontraindication
  • BLUUUUUUUUUUUGGHH.
« Reply #216 on: 24 Dec 2008, 00:48 »

Gossip Girl.

Gossip Girl.

Gossip Girl.

Mind you, I haven't actually seen the show itself, however, the bill board adds that I pass by every day for work piss me the fuck off.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #217 on: 24 Dec 2008, 12:28 »

Then that's not exactly a fair evaluation of the show. Gossip Girl is mostly just mindless, bubble-gum entertainment. I wouldn't choose to watch it if I was watching TV by myself, but when my girlfriend or sister watches it while I'm around, I actually don't really mind it. It's not that bad.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #218 on: 24 Dec 2008, 13:14 »

writerofallwrongs summed up my views on the office pretty well. i was also expecting to really hate it at first as i'm used to being that typical curmudgeon who hates the things everyone else likes, but after getting through the first season it really grew on me. the characters are really well developed and the way they interact with each other is often completely brilliant. if you can get past the initial awkwardness, it is worth giving a shot.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #219 on: 24 Dec 2008, 14:11 »

I was going to mention Sex and the City but I read through the thread and I already have. Still an awful, mindless show filled with shallow pseudo-philosophical bullshit and priorities that are about as straight as the show's main demographic. OH WHAT NOW.

^lame and slightly offensive joke for a lame and slightly offensive show I guess?
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2008, 14:13 by Vendetagainst »
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Elk

• Emoticontraindication
  • BLUUUUUUUUUUUGGHH.
« Reply #220 on: 24 Dec 2008, 16:13 »

Fair enough.

Maybe I'll give it a watch and see if it's something I would truly hate.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #221 on: 24 Dec 2008, 17:21 »

My twin brother loves Sex and the City. I hate it. Our family has some issues. He also loves Gossip Girl and Gilmore Girls. For some reason he thinks they are absolutely hilarious, and that may explain why he can't get laid.
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #222 on: 25 Dec 2008, 16:32 »

Sex and The City is just four skeletons going around having conspicuous amounts of sex and then bitching about the way the guys' dicks are shaped. 

lprkn

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #223 on: 28 Dec 2008, 12:09 »

My twin brother loves Sex and the City. I hate it. Our family has some issues. He also loves Gossip Girl and Gilmore Girls. For some reason he thinks they are absolutely hilarious, and that may explain why he can't get laid.

Is he trying to get laid by women?

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #224 on: 30 Dec 2008, 19:30 »

Sex and The City is just four skeletons going around having conspicuous amounts of sex and then bitching about the way the guys' dicks are shaped. 

Whenever Sex and The City is brought up I think of that one Robot Chicken episode where the replace the old skeletons with even older skeletons.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #225 on: 30 Dec 2008, 20:25 »

Gossip Girl is awesome and all of you who don't like it are fucking idiots.

Ikrik

« Reply #226 on: 30 Dec 2008, 21:26 »

Gossip Girl is awesome and all of you who don't like it are fucking idiots.

I honestly don't know whether you're being serious or not....I really, REALLY hope you're not.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #227 on: 30 Dec 2008, 21:30 »

Gossip Girl is an atrocious show aimed at teenage girls who assume that the bitchiness that fuels their high school social lives is actually a productive thing in the real world.
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #228 on: 01 Jan 2009, 04:37 »

On the contrary, I think that most girls who watch the show do so because they recognize how ridiculous it is. It's a guilty pleasure and is so far removed from reality. The characters are all absolutely atrocious human beings. People generally just don't act like that in real life, and so it's amusing to watch these unbelievably over-the-top egotistical, conniving teenagers act melodramatic and occasionally wax idiot-philosophical. That, at least, is what I gather from the females in my life who watch the thing. And I must admit, having seen 2 episodes of it myself, I can see where they're coming from. I mean, the plot is terrible, the characters, aside from being horrible people, have almost no development, and there is no real meaning or reason to the show, yet it's perversely entertaining.
 - Napoleon

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #229 on: 01 Jan 2009, 04:59 »

Gossip Girl is freaking hilarious and anyone who thinks it has anything to do with the real world, influence on or influenced by, is silly.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #230 on: 01 Jan 2009, 05:05 »

I have never even heard of gossip girl, I feel quite happy about this now.

Three shows I really, really hate Hollyoaks, Everbody loves raymond and the X factor.

If I am allowed to provide reasoning behind this; Hollyoaks because it is aimed at supposed teenagers and shows nothing but stupid, vapid, unable to act attractive people pissing there lives away for no reason other than sex and pure and utter banality. I dislike "everybody loves raymond" because I cannot help but think that I would have killed his mother and buried her in quicklime, or at least moved as far away as possible and cut all lines of contact with the horrible parasitic old crone, also it isn't funny.

Finally, moving on to the fetid bottom of the slurry pit, the X factor, what in the name of the dark Gods of Chaos did the producers think they were doing when they invented this program, not only does it inflict rubbish music and worse covers of good songs. They also make the poor things successes for 3 mins and then they drop them and refuse to help them, I can't help but feel sorry for them they may be living the high life for a while, but they crash and burn so fast and held up like sacrificial animals so that utter arse's like Simon Cowel can get money off them.

*cough* sorry
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

mbb

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #231 on: 01 Jan 2009, 14:51 »

I absolutely hate Tyra Banks.
Family Guy is an absolute disaster. South Park is funny and satirical. Family Guy is just the down syndrome love child of South Park and Simpsons.
I also hate Oprah.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #232 on: 01 Jan 2009, 15:11 »

I watched the E! True Hollywood Story of Oprah and I like her a lot more now.

She's got a pretty fucked up past. Makes her current status as one of the most powerful people in the world more impressive.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #233 on: 01 Jan 2009, 15:37 »

Family Guy is an absolute disaster. South Park is funny and satirical. Family Guy is just the down syndrome love child of South Park and Simpsons.
I also hate Oprah.

Family Guy isn't absolute mindless fart jokes like many think. There's actually a lot of humorous references to plays, music, and movies that hardly anybody catches. I used to think it was just idiocy until I payed more attention to it.

Fishboy

« Reply #234 on: 01 Jan 2009, 16:43 »

Naruto, ten thousand times naruto, an awful fanbase for an awful show filled with awful characters in afwul settings with awful translation, awful dubbing and even worse plots. That show besmirches all of anime with it's hideous fanbase full of raving, idiotic fools who couldn't tell decent art, plot, and dubbing if it was made anthropomorphic and slapped them in the face.  On that note, Fuck the outspoken minority of anime fans who insist of encouraging the propogation of this utter shite onto every damn possible venue for its reception, damnable fools.

And although a certain ladyfriend would kill me for typing this, death note is overly contrived and shallow.

mbb

« Reply #235 on: 01 Jan 2009, 19:30 »

I also hate Oprah.

Family Guy isn't absolute mindless fart jokes like many think. There's actually a lot of humorous references to plays, music, and movies that hardly anybody catches. I used to think it was just idiocy until I payed more attention to it.

I know it's about more than fart jokes. It irks me when people make the jump that someone disliking something = they don't get it. I get it just fine...it just isn't funny or well-executed.

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #236 on: 01 Jan 2009, 20:26 »

Didn't mean to jump to that conclusion. Sorry it came off like that  :|. Anyway I suppose I cannot change your mind, to each their own.

mbb

« Reply #237 on: 01 Jan 2009, 21:31 »

Didn't mean to jump to that conclusion. Sorry it came off like that  :|. Anyway I suppose I cannot change your mind, to each their own.

No worries...Anyhow, I don't think any less of anyone for enjoying that show, as long as they don't do Quagmire impressions!

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #238 on: 01 Jan 2009, 21:58 »

Ugh, every time I witness someone doing the Quagmire impression I die a little inside.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #239 on: 01 Jan 2009, 22:20 »

Gilmore Girls.

Can I be honest? This is another show that I've been roped in to watching by women in my life, but, unlike Gossip Girl, I would watch it, and have watched it, by myself, of my own volition (at least until it finished its run. I haven't seen it since then.) It's definitely a girly show. But hell, as vapid as it often was, it had characters that you could actually like and care about, and the dialogue was superbly well written, if too-fast.
 - Napoleon

Ikrik

« Reply #240 on: 02 Jan 2009, 03:56 »

Ugh, every time I witness someone doing the Quagmire impression I die a little inside.

Every time people say "did you see the episode of Family Guy where......"  I stop listening and lose a little bit of respect for them.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #241 on: 02 Jan 2009, 05:22 »

Remember when people exactly like all of us rallied together and got Family Guy put back on the air.  Wasnt that awesome! 

mbb

« Reply #242 on: 02 Jan 2009, 13:28 »

Remember when people exactly like all of us rallied together and got Family Guy put back on the air.  Wasnt that awesome! 

pfft, speak for yourself!  :-P

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #243 on: 02 Jan 2009, 15:29 »

I forgot how fashionable it was to have retroactively hated Family Guy

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #244 on: 03 Jan 2009, 20:53 »

HAI GIEZ REMEMBER THAT 1 EPISODE OF FAMILY GUY WHERE.....

^^^^ Most of my acquaintances are, sadly, just like that. As much as I like Family Guy I hate when people reminisce about the episodes, seeing as how I've seen all of them and all they ever do on Adult Swim is play re-runs of it.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #245 on: 07 Jan 2009, 13:34 »

Oh God.  I was watching TV with my sister and I saw this one episode of the show that dealt with morbid obesity, and they had these two women on talking about the problems it had caused in their lives, and so what Tyra Banks thought it would be a rich and fulfilling experience to do the same thing every other talk show host has done on these shows:  She puts on a fat suit and walks around for a few hours and lives like these poor women who get degraded for their weight every day.  And so it cuts back to the actual show and she starts talking about her experience and she starts weeping in front of these women who deal with that these things every day

I also hate Oprah.

Wait, what?  Why?

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #246 on: 09 Jan 2009, 21:30 »

yeah, I'm pretty sure most of the people who say they hate Oprah really hate Oprah fans.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #247 on: 10 Jan 2009, 08:56 »

HAI GIEZ REMEMBER THAT 1 EPISODE OF FAMILY GUY WHERE.....

^^^^ Most of my acquaintances are, sadly, just like that. As much as I like Family Guy I hate when people reminisce about the episodes, seeing as how I've seen all of them and all they ever do on Adult Swim is play re-runs of it.

That is what I expect most peoples hate on originates.  Realistically its an issue of getting popular.  The show makes man popculture references and is generally well written using conventions that were unseen at the time so people really liked it.   Now after watching the episodes over and over with people obnoxiously referencing it all the time in place of genuine personality (Im looking at you stoners), and the fact that as different as the show is it is still extremely structured, just in a different way. 

Those are to legitimate reasons to no like to the show, or to dislike the fans.  But I am calling out you who say its utter shit or that you have never liked it.

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #248 on: 10 Jan 2009, 09:28 »

my parents watch loads of property shows where they just talk shit for half n hour. Some couple can't sell their house so they come in paint it beige and chuck all the couple's shit out and whatdaya know it sells like hot cakes. Or there's the other one where they try to find some really picky rich snobs a house in the country and a city pad. Can they find them for under 600 grand? Find out of after the break!

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #249 on: 12 Jan 2009, 18:49 »

I also hate Oprah.

It's references, yeah, but in the most non-sequiter, bullshitty way possible. The entire point of the show is to let people go "oh man, that was funny! I totally understand that reference!" It's masturbatory name dropping of the worst type.

The first couple seasons were really good, man. But I liked Family Guy's old stuff better.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up