THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 12:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dear Pitchfork: I officially quit you.  (Read 42180 times)

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
Re: Dear Pitchfork: I officially quit you.
« Reply #100 on: 30 Mar 2008, 21:59 »

I give Alex's post a 9.1, which I believe puts in the company of Pink, Since I Left You and several 'what the hell were they thinking' albums.
Yes I realize that I was supposed to post a pompous review before the above, but why do so when Alex does it better?
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #101 on: 30 Mar 2008, 22:16 »

I kinda like how all you guys basically dislike Pitchfork because they have some more adventurously formatted reviews.

I dislike them because they have absolutely no taste.

They once gave a Pig Destroyer album a pretty good rap.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #102 on: 30 Mar 2008, 23:36 »

I kinda like how all you guys basically dislike Pitchfork because they have some more adventurously formatted reviews.

There's 'adventurous' then there's fucking dadaist formatting with no content whatsoever.

I'm of the small minority on here who actually enjoys reading a number of PF reviews and comparing their opinions to my own assessments of albums. But when they get all artsy it's just taking the piss. Disagreeing opinions is another matter.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #103 on: 31 Mar 2008, 09:45 »

Alex I'm calling you out. I thought you wrote that yourself, but you just tweaked the PF Destroyer review. Compliment rescinded, sir. COMPLIMENT RESCINDED.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #104 on: 31 Mar 2008, 10:13 »

They once gave a Pig Destroyer album a pretty good rap.

That's because no one could ever dislike Phantom Limb regardless of taste.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

Trillian

• Furry furrier
« Reply #105 on: 31 Mar 2008, 13:10 »

I have nothing of any real import to add here, but I just felt it necessary to interject my opinion.  I just don't understand the point of entering a thread and being a dick if you find said thread uninteresting or irrelevant, particularly if there are people participating in the thread and enjoying it.  It really is just a matter of preference.  And guess what guys!  There are fifty bagillion other threads you can go browse!  I am sure at least one of them will be worth your time.  I know I am not saying anything really new here, but come on people.  Seriously? 

Also, Alex I still really like your post even if it is a reworked version of a review and not completely original.  It made reading this thread so worth it as I laughed a considerable amount at that point.  Thanks! 
Quote from: zerodrone
When we form our cuddlecore band, can we be like The Kills and get as close to having sex onstage as legally possible?

Last.fm

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #106 on: 31 Mar 2008, 13:50 »

I dunno, my friend changed his opinion from 'simply dissapointing' to 'pretty good but it's no Terrifyer,' and this is the dude that got me into Pig Destroyer to begin with.

I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #107 on: 31 Mar 2008, 16:34 »

Alex I'm calling you out. I thought you wrote that yourself, but you just tweaked the PF Destroyer review. Compliment rescinded, sir. COMPLIMENT RESCINDED.

I honestly thought people would be on top of that in an instant. I thought the irony of using that as a template was a better idea than writing a review in any case - like Weird Al recycling pop hits in the name of satire, why fix what ain't broke? Or what is broke but that's the joke here?

If you really, really like I could write my own review, but my bastardisation of the PF Destroyer review pretty much summed up my thoughts anyway. Hey, Pitchfork is good for something. <_< >_>

suitupletsgo

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #108 on: 01 Apr 2008, 08:14 »

that is my favourite Maserati record. :(

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #109 on: 02 Apr 2008, 06:31 »

I like Nine Inch Nails, and you know, I've gotten used to Pitchfork bashing them.  Heck, I've even agreed with some of it.  I get it, they don't like angsty industrial rock.  Noted.

But on the same day that they crap on NIN's new album, they give a 7.5 to Ministry's Cover Up, an album that even the people on Ministry's official fanclub board think sucks. 

I just don't understand, are they trying to be iconoclastic here?  Or do they just have no consistency?
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

muteKi

« Reply #110 on: 02 Apr 2008, 07:41 »

At ^

THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON OUT THERE!
THEY KNOW NOTHING!

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #111 on: 02 Apr 2008, 08:14 »

I liked this thread better when it was a massive internet argument. Fuck all of you turning it back into a reasonable discussion.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

suitupletsgo

« Reply #112 on: 02 Apr 2008, 08:48 »

I dunno, my friend changed his opinion from 'simply dissapointing' to 'pretty good but it's no Terrifyer,' and this is the dude that got me into Pig Destroyer to begin with.

more like it's no Prowler in the Yard.

Terrifyer was ok, but Prowler in the Yard is gold.

Daft pun

• Curry sauce
  • hugs not ughs
« Reply #113 on: 02 Apr 2008, 08:56 »

I like Nine Inch Nails, and you know, I've gotten used to Pitchfork bashing them.  Heck, I've even agreed with some of it.  I get it, they don't like angsty industrial rock.  Noted.

Ah, NIN bashing. That brings back memories. Man I love that review.
All this won't do you any good; you cannot return to the moon!

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #114 on: 02 Apr 2008, 12:48 »

Or do they just have no consistency?

They have no consistency.  The review of Ghosts praises Pretty Hate Machine as being brilliant, yet their review of its re-issue a couple years ago was pretty dire.

"Oh, ambient experimental music?  Cool!  OH wait, it has Trent Reznor's name on it.  Never mind, it's boring, not cool."
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Trillian

• Furry furrier
« Reply #115 on: 02 Apr 2008, 12:57 »

I honestly thought people would be on top of that in an instant. I thought the irony of using that as a template was a better idea than writing a review in any case - like Weird Al recycling pop hits in the name of satire, why fix what ain't broke? Or what is broke but that's the joke here?

If you really, really like I could write my own review, but my bastardisation of the PF Destroyer review pretty much summed up my thoughts anyway. Hey, Pitchfork is good for something. <_< >_>

Indeed.  Pitchfork is good for something!  :) 
Quote from: zerodrone
When we form our cuddlecore band, can we be like The Kills and get as close to having sex onstage as legally possible?

Last.fm

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #116 on: 02 Apr 2008, 13:09 »

All Pig Destroyer is good. Painter of Dead Girls, even, slays a good deal.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

suitupletsgo

« Reply #117 on: 02 Apr 2008, 13:18 »

All Pig Destroyer is good. Painter of Dead Girls, even, slays a good deal.

ehhhh 38 Counts of Battery was crap, imo.

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #118 on: 02 Apr 2008, 13:34 »

"Oh, ambient experimental music?  Cool!  OH wait, it has Trent Reznor's name on it.  Never mind, it's boring, not cool."

When Radiohead sells song multitracks (charging separately for guitars, bass, vocals, etc.) and sets up a remix website, like Reznor did before them (but for free), Radiohead is innovative!

When Reznor releases music digitally, like Radiohead did before him, Reznor is “biting” on Radiohead.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #119 on: 02 Apr 2008, 13:58 »

TRONT REUZNAR = SPENGBIB of /mu/
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #120 on: 02 Apr 2008, 15:50 »

Patrick/Anyways, I don't know if I should feel like a dick telling you this, but derailing threads with one and two-line jokes is kind of annoying.  This is what PMs were invented for!

:wink:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #121 on: 02 Apr 2008, 17:15 »

You feel like a dick? While talking to me? After the epic page-and-a-half derailment that I already achieved that was waaaaaay more epic than a shitty, 4chan referencing one-liner?

You can't be serious.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #122 on: 02 Apr 2008, 17:32 »

It was a joke based on what Anyways had posted in the Mediafire thread.  Hence the winky smiley.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #123 on: 02 Apr 2008, 17:56 »

Shit, as if I needed to spend MORE time lurking here...

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #124 on: 03 Apr 2008, 18:05 »

I just read that review and it seems like one of those things where I heard one thing in the album and the reviewer heard something entirely different. It's pretty telling, to me, that his criticisms (odd sequencing, bombast, Menuck's supposed ego) and mine (off-key vocals, lack of diction masking otherwise interesting lyrics) have absolutely nothing in common.

It's not a particularly "bad" review even by PF standards- that infamous Jet review, while funny, exemplifies everything NOT to do when writing about music, and the review of Mastodon's Leviathan spent more time bashing other bands for not being as "metal" as Mastodon than it did actually talking about the album in question. THAT'S the kind of writing on Pitchfork that pisses me off, but then you get things like the generally excellent "month in" series, Metal* and Techno being an effective Cliffs Notes of the current state of both genres.

So Zerodrone I don't really get why a couple of reviews you disagree with are enough to make you "quit" the site. Are they just straws that finally broke the camel's back? That's as valid a reason as any, I am just wondering.

*here is where Khar yells at me for agreeing with Brendan Stosuy's opinions
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2008, 18:07 by jeph »
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #125 on: 03 Apr 2008, 18:14 »

Straw/back.  If I can't count on them to give a halfway decent review to albums I already know about, I don't think I will ever learn about a new band from them unless I use a reverse-psychology "the lower the score, the better the album" deal.

Which, actually, might work, since they gave Vampire Weekend and the new Bauhaus good scores and Silver Mt. Zion, Maserati, the new NIN bad ones.

Also, LOL @ their review of a Sloan album saying "Sloan is nobody's favorite band; even their mothers probably don't put them in the Top 10".  That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever read on there aside from the review of Andrew W.K.'s I Get Wet.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #126 on: 03 Apr 2008, 18:26 »

Yeah I get most of my new-band info from BitTorrent anyway these days.

My favorite thing about PF is the utter lack of internal consistency, which I think someone else has mentioned in this thread. My favorite example is the original review of Daft Punk's Discovery. Contrast that with VIRTUALLY ANYTHING ELSE ON THE SITE, which by and large treats Daft Punk like the Beatles of the millennial era.

It's a funny thing, because Schreiber DOES exert editorial control- I have it on good authority from PF writers that he's changed review scores, at the very least. I just find it oddly passive-aggressive to exact that kind of editing and yet not make the slightest attempt at a consistent overall editorial "feel" (beyond the "build up a band and then tear them down" thing they've done so often, which is a whole other can of worms).
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

öde

« Reply #127 on: 06 Apr 2008, 15:07 »

Much to my surprise: a good review!

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #128 on: 06 Apr 2008, 15:21 »

The problem I've found is that it's pretty impossible to tell whether a review has any merit unless you've already heard the album it's reviewing, which is true of other music sites as well, but is a form of music journalism I find ridiculous.  It's especially bad in some P4k reviews because some of them literally don't discuss the sound of the album at all.

sean

• welp
« Reply #129 on: 06 Apr 2008, 17:33 »

I think they did that with the review of Mr. Beast. If I remember correctly all the reviewer did was bitch and complain about how mogwai wasn't writing ten minute songs anymore.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #130 on: 06 Apr 2008, 17:51 »

Yeah, the Mr. Beast review pretty well epitomizes what I hate about Mogwai reviews.  They hit the two major annoying points:

1.  "It's no Young Team, which is their best album."  There is some serious rose-colored nostalgia for Young Team, I think, because even as rabid a Mogwai fan as I am cannot possibly call it their best album.  It was a nice piece of work from some very young, very inexperienced lads but it hardly matches the complexity and nuance that they would later develop.

2.  "Mogwai's best songs are the loud ones."  Another popular opinion which seems curious given that the actual majority of their recorded output has been more quiet than loud, and that the band is obviously interested more in beauty than bombast.

suitupletsgo

« Reply #131 on: 06 Apr 2008, 20:45 »

Yeah, the Mr. Beast review pretty well epitomizes what I hate about Mogwai reviews.  They hit the two major annoying points:

1.  "It's no Young Team, which is their best album."  There is some serious rose-colored nostalgia for Young Team, I think, because even as rabid a Mogwai fan as I am cannot possibly call it their best album.  It was a nice piece of work from some very young, very inexperienced lads but it hardly matches the complexity and nuance that they would later develop.

2.  "Mogwai's best songs are the loud ones."  Another popular opinion which seems curious given that the actual majority of their recorded output has been more quiet than loud, and that the band is obviously interested more in beauty than bombast.

one of my favourite albums, ever, is Rock Action. though, I was really never one to read pitchfork for legitimate reviews or anything. even Mogwai doesn't know why Young Team is good anymore.

nescience

« Reply #132 on: 10 Apr 2008, 03:24 »

This is as good a forum as anything.

Hi guys. I'm Nescience, for any of you who still remember me (Khar, where are you to intelligently point me to mental metal????).

Anyway, I'm now writing for Pitchfork, though many of you will crucify me for such. Check out hte review for the band Strategy today (Thursday) and I hope you will get with what I'm talking about.

On a similar note, Naruto needs to show his stuff and Faye & Marten will eventually do it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #133 on: 10 Apr 2008, 10:15 »

*points and hoots*
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

MobyDickhole

• Larger than most fish
  • I'd rather be procrastinating
« Reply #134 on: 10 Apr 2008, 11:11 »

Yeah... but

www.pitchfork.tv

HOLY SITE!!!
(that started as a typo... but I liked it)

Anyways... Pitchfork.tv is fucking incredible.

As for pitchfork media .com yeah... the site is often stuck soo far up it's own ass that it's rediculous. But when it's good, it's really fucking good.

For example: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/38853-shine-on
And without further ado, I am done typing.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #135 on: 10 Apr 2008, 12:00 »

Oh man, Strategy. I upped Future Rock awhile back to the MF thread, don't know if anybody actually got to it. I've been listening to it a lot lately.

*points, hoots*
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

StreetSpirit

• "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #136 on: 10 Apr 2008, 14:23 »

Thank you Pitchfork for sucking so much. Cheers to QC Forums for ripping into their inconsistency, wannabe hipster status, and lack of a quality direction (they have direction, it is just heading straight into the septic tank). 
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #137 on: 10 Apr 2008, 17:15 »

Can I start being my asshole self again yet? Pretty please? It's killing me

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #138 on: 11 Apr 2008, 06:20 »

wannabe hipster status

Okay this is hilarious.

Deride PF as much as you want, but claiming that they're *wannabe* hipsters is pretty ridiculous considering what a huge tastemaker the site has (for better or worse) become.

Then again, some people think I'M a "wannabe hipster" because I talk about bands on my website.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #139 on: 11 Apr 2008, 09:59 »

Jeph, no-one wants any of your indie hipster shit in this thread, you pitchfork lover!

Do you get it? It's irony, you see. Much laffs.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #140 on: 11 Apr 2008, 10:09 »

so THAT'S this "irony" I keep hearing about

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #141 on: 11 Apr 2008, 10:40 »

Yes!

Let me show you how it works.

It's 'ironic' that you've not heard of 'irony' given your hipster status.

Say it with me, kids!

nescience

« Reply #142 on: 11 Apr 2008, 11:30 »

Oooh, kinda-sorta defended by none other than Mr. Jacques himself!  :mrgreen:

I dunno: I feel like it's all good intentions, good intentions. I certainly just like to write and hope folks agree, or intelligently disagree. That's it.

tommydski

« Reply #143 on: 11 Apr 2008, 12:18 »

It's ridiculous to assume Pitchfork writers are anything other than music lovers doing their best to promote the bands they love. Plus they have a really super music festival now.

There's really nothing sinister about Pitchfork, I just don't read it because I'm happy out of the loop for the time being.

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #144 on: 11 Apr 2008, 12:44 »

It's ridiculous to assume Pitchfork writers are anything other than music lovers doing their best to promote the bands they love.

I don’t think anyone would argue this.  But at the same time, I often get a feeling that the culture there has become permeated with the necessity of being on the bleeding edge of new musical developments, as well as the knowledge that Pitchfork has already been a huge force in popularizing particular bands and movements in the past.  That cultural history manifests as egocentricity of the reviewing staff as tastemakers, the undertone that the reviewer is of comparable importance to the reviewee.

And I’d be willing to bet that if you asked any writer there, they wouldn’t even be cognizant of it.  Workplace cultures (or any other group cultures) can have subtle yet powerful effects on individuals who act inside them.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2008, 12:48 by rynne »

tommydski

« Reply #145 on: 11 Apr 2008, 13:40 »

Interesting. I actually think that one of the problems with Pitchfork is that they are very aware of their place as trend-setters, which becomes incredibly infuriating when Schreiber makes another bad call about a band and the rest of his writers clunk into step behind him.

For all of a month or so, a while back I gave them a chance and bought a few records at their recommendation. I can't help but notice that the bands they tend to champion have a very limited shelf-life. A serious problem with printed music media is that they are always so keen to break news about the best new band in the world and somehow it has also happened at Pitchfork. I don't really understand why it is necessary to pile massive acclaim on a band with one album, especially since those kind of bands tend to buckle later down the line under the weight of expectation. Bands with one album are fragile. You don't know where they are going to go next. You don't know if that album you insisted was amazing for all of three months is going to age particularly well. Then when you realise you've dropped it from your iPod six months down the line, it's too late. A hundred thousand white-belted, septum-pierced teenagers have already made that band huge. Then, as corporate hegemony inevitably kicks in, the major labels come in and sign five piss weak clones of a band that wasn't very good in the first place on the grounds that "this is what the kids must be listening to these days". We all suffer the blandness of these bands and the inevitable accusations of 'elitism' for daring to think that a band with one hyped record isn't going to explode the universe. All the while, great music goes relatively unnoticed.

Like I said, there's nothing sinister about it but I can't help but think that the whole organisitation would benefit enormously from a little bit more forward thinking.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #146 on: 11 Apr 2008, 15:41 »

It's ridiculous to assume Pitchfork writers are anything other than music lovers doing their best to promote the bands they love.

This would be an arguable premise if the albums reviewed were consistently reviewed by people who seem to be very familiar with the band/genre in question, which is blatantly not the case much of the time, most obviously showcased by the embarassingly large number of factual errors.

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #147 on: 11 Apr 2008, 15:42 »

Interesting. I actually think that one of the problems with Pitchfork is that they are very aware of their place as trend-setters, which becomes incredibly infuriating when Schreiber makes another bad call about a band and the rest of his writers clunk into step behind him.

For all of a month or so, a while back I gave them a chance and bought a few records at their recommendation. I can't help but notice that the bands they tend to champion have a very limited shelf-life. A serious problem with printed music media is that they are always so keen to break news about the best new band in the world and somehow it has also happened at Pitchfork. I don't really understand why it is necessary to pile massive acclaim on a band with one album, especially since those kind of bands tend to buckle later down the line under the weight of expectation. Bands with one album are fragile. You don't know where they are going to go next. You don't know if that album you insisted was amazing for all of three months is going to age particularly well. Then when you realise you've dropped it from your iPod six months down the line, it's too late. A hundred thousand white-belted, septum-pierced teenagers have already made that band huge. Then, as corporate hegemony inevitably kicks in, the major labels come in and sign five piss weak clones of a band that wasn't very good in the first place on the grounds that "this is what the kids must be listening to these days". We all suffer the blandness of these bands and the inevitable accusations of 'elitism' for daring to think that a band with one hyped record isn't going to explode the universe. All the while, great music goes relatively unnoticed.

Like I said, there's nothing sinister about it but I can't help but think that the whole organisitation would benefit enormously from a little bit more forward thinking.

Exactly: novelty does not equal quality.  But when you publish near-constantly, novelty is what makes a bigger impact.  Slate did a dialog piece between three music critics (Rob Christgau is one) about end-of-year lists where they touch upon that problem, among others: that music that's good and solid but not necessarily novel gets overlooked.

But that I can understand.  What I'd be interested in is some sort of reasoning behind why certain bands are continuously lionized by Pitchfork---Radiohead is the obvious cliche here, or Daft Punk (aside from the anomalous Discovery review jeph pointed out)---while others are forgotten or fall to backlash.

In any case, I've been trying to limit my of-the-moment music intake recently, for precisely the reason you give: the majority of new music that's drawing attention now is most likely not going to hold up over time.  I figure that there's plenty of awesome music that I haven’t heard that’s already stood the test of time.  And anything that's popular now that's legitimately great will still be great if I hold off until the initial hype dies down.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #148 on: 11 Apr 2008, 15:43 »

Bit of a tangent, but this is basically why I stopped trying to catch up with what's considered good music right now. Especially for a person as inexperienced as myself, it just doesn't make sense for me to try to get to know all the hipster bands of the now rather than getting to know important music from before.

I hope these aren't bad examples, but take bands like...The Gossip, or Glass Candy, or maybe even more recently, Vampire Weekend. When I listened to their music it seemed nice enough but there's no way to tell if it will be significant enough to matter in some years until, well, years have passed. If they really are important to spend time listening to, then I don't care if I end up getting into them in ten years as opposed to right now. Seriously. I don't feel bad about not having listened to any albums by Animal Collective or the Flaming Lips yet, because if it's as good as people claim, it'll still be worth listening to later. In the meantime I'm listening to music that's new to me, even if it wasn't created recently. I do it slowly, but whatever.

On the other hand, I do understand the importance of supporting musicians who are making a living in the present. That's legitimate. I'm just saying that I've stopped caring about myself as being recognized as one who knows what's hot now. Maybe eventually once my taste has been developed enough I will be able to recognize what is good, progressive music, but I can't do it now without being forced to depend on trends.

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #149 on: 11 Apr 2008, 15:47 »

:-D - OMG SOULMATES
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up