THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 05:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The most hilarious thing I have ever read in relation to Joss Whedon  (Read 37258 times)

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

Even when a character is supposed to be unattractive in movies, they often get attractive actors to play the part and just give them makeup or an unseemly mole or something.

If I ever make a movie, I'm going to get nothing but gorgeous women for all the roles and make them wear signs like "short, bald guy" or "really ugly, stop lusting".

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook

And I would pay money to watch it, because I wouldn't know any better.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

There are far worse, and more well known, things to analyse in sci-fi from a feminist perspective than Firefly. Try Asimov sometime...
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

LordNagash

I thought of Samus too, but then remembered Fusion retconning the series so that she always took orders from Adam. Thank you, shitty game for continuing to ruin the series in some small way.

Well, someone did not get the memo then, because the games that came out after fusion still have no mention of Adam. Still, barring fusion Samus is a strong independant character that the government basically begs to save their asses all the time.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

But according to this particular feminist, Samus would be just as bad a role model as Zoe because the only way she is empowered is by engaging in violence which is apparently a male dominion if I'm reading Alecto's post correctly. I always understood the feminist movement to be about equality, which to my mind at least says that women should be able to be strong and violent just like men and be respected for it, just like men.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

thatryanguy

What irks me about people like this is that they take offense to males, no matter what capacity they're shown in. Mal was a higher rank in the military, and owned the ship that Zoe decided to serve him on. It's not by any consideration as to Why Mal was a higher rank, or why Zoe chose to serve him on his ship, but the fact Alone that Mal was a higher rank, and owned a ship that a Zoe served him on.

Feminists like her are the biggest hypocrites. They cry for equality, by vehemently protesting any situation whatsoever, fact or fiction, where the female isn't the one in absolute power.

Fortunately, noone but other feminists who hate men with the same venomous passion will ever take people like her seriously. I do think it would be interesting however to write a comic or movie based on the idea where people like her got control of the world, and the results that could potentially have on society.

I mean, first and foremost, everyone would die in a generation, as every male on the planet would have been castrated immediately =P

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

...can i play short bald guy?

Only if you don't mind a very tasteful nude scene with "vapid gum-chewer".

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!

But according to this particular feminist, Samus would be just as bad a role model as Zoe because the only way she is empowered is by engaging in violence which is apparently a male dominion if I'm reading Alecto's post correctly. I always understood the feminist movement to be about equality, which to my mind at least says that women should be able to be strong and violent just like men and be respected for it, just like men.

But think about the culture of respect that gives rise to these kinds of heroes. If we were to adopt rationality over physical force (which, even mediated by technology as we are, will - on average biologically and therefore almost always psychologically - favor men) as the basis for respect ... well but then our entertainment would not be so entertaining. Because we will instinctively always find security - which leads to looking up to people who can provide security - in physicality. We're animals, in that way. It's not very fair of us males, then, to claim that 'equality' means allowing females 'up' into our realm of physicality. It doesn't work that way naturally, so to actually be equal in that respect requires either: a) exceptional effort (above average female physicality to average male physicality), which seems unfair; or b) mediation, usually through technology, which seems illegitimate, as well as unstable.

Of course physicality isn't the only area of dispute in the discussion of gender (in)equality. But it is a very influential one, one that gives rise to many if not most of the other issues. I think it's often underestimated by males, too, because the discussion, as it is often framed, doesn't oblige us to do anything, other than to hypothetically extend our offer of acceptance to females, who want (we think) to join us. As opposed to anything that might happen the other way around.

Just goes to show what a significant challenge there is for feminist cultural criticism.

Also, thatryanguy, 1) the fact of the matter is that they are noting the instance of male authority that points to the generality of male authority (or the general lack of female authority), and 2) I have a difficult time not reading your name as "that aryan guy." Just lettin' you know.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

Actually, I agree with the idea that there should be more fiction and fact with women in ultimate power because we DO live in a patriarchal society and the recurrence of the male leader in fiction reflects this. If there were such a thing as genuine equality in our society, radical feminists would be relegated to a more extremist section of our society, looked upon in much the same way as white supremacists because their viewpoints would be more clearly outside of what society needs. As it is, they represent a force towards the shift that society needs and, while their end goal is much too extreme, their direction is still ideal, so they aren't as maligned as they should be.

Also, I take umbrage with Khar's implication of Asimov. The dude can barely write humans, it's unfair to take him to task for his writing of women.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy

Jimbunny, if you could stop making the rest of us look bad by being really insightful and such a generally good poster that would just be swell.

Yeah ok my point was not great and badly made but could anyone see where I was going with it? I see the feminist movement as seeking equality (which does not yet exist and that fact is lamentable) rather than putting one gender over another. Misandry is not the constructive answer to misogyny. Just sayin'.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!

That's cool; it's just that comments lightly made towards gender issues tend, I feel, to expose ingrained ways of thinking in society that are actually much more fundamental - and MUCH harder to root out, because they're not based on any individual's stated beliefs.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy

No I totally get that. The problem is I usually don't come into the movies forum with my "critical thinking about sociology" hat on. I usually just have my "Hey, I liked Mortal Kombat/AVP1&2/Hulk" hat on. This is usually the kind of thing I have to sit and think about for a few minutes before I can formulate a rational response and that's hard for me to do if I'm sitting here in my Mr Grumpy underpants.

idiolect

MUCH harder to root out, because they're not based on any individual's stated beliefs.

Wow, yes, that. 

Nodaisho

Sally Shears/Molly Millions from Gibson's early work.  That girl did not take shit from anybody and she would (quite literally) cut you if you tried anything wise on her.

The livejournaling lunatic would disagree, since Molly was a prostitute for the money for her surgeries. I would ask her if she would be willing to tell a real life Molly that she was a horrible person for betraying womankind, but I doubt she would approve that comment.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Reading the criticism of the "duct tape her mouth and throw her in the hold" scene in that blog post, it strikes me that the scene could only be deemed as woman-hating if you're of the opinion that a person's gender is the single most important defining characteristic of that person. (Of course, it seems likely that the writer of the blog probably does feel that way, at least when it comes to women). It's very easy to view that scene as an example of suggested violence against a woman, and to be appalled by it because of that - but such a response necessitates a specific reading of the scene which I think is flawed. The writer of the blog has read the scene as "Don't you want to duct tape that woman's mouth and throw that woman in the hold", whereas I think the correct reading is "Don't you want to duct tape that individual's mouth and throw that individual in the hold." By which I mean, Mals' comment wasn't directed against Kaylee's womanhood, but rather against her personality. As I've said on this forum before, I find the notion that you can reduce 6 billion + people into two clearly distinct types, "man" and "woman", highly dubious. Any direct interaction with any specific person must surely rely first and foremost on his or her personality rather than his or her gender (indeed, to generalise about somebody because of his or her gender, whether you're trying to be positive about it or not, is in a way to reduce them, because it implies that they are merely the product of a single biological circumstance and essentially indistinguishable from billions of others, rather than a complex and unique individual). Of course with this interpretation it's still possible to take offence to the scene under discussion on the grounds that it suggests rather extreme violence against a fellow human, but as was pointed out earlier, I don't think Mal's comment is meant to be taken literally but rather as good-natured joshing between crew-mates.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch

Go to church some time.  Or a political rally.

Way to make sweeping generalizations. Very nice.

Yes, admiring natural beauty is wrong everyone! When you're out appreciating forests or sunsets or beaches you're committing leering, and that's just plain lude.

The word is "lewd."

Also, why spend so much time on one nut job?
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog

She keeps on thinking that Mal is supposed to be the bearer of Whedon's ideals.

I keep thinking, "Maybe Whedon WANTED Mal to be a douche-bag."
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce

It is true that Mal doesn't seem to form a romantic attachment to a woman that does not have sex for money.  I'm just saying.  Not that Mal is necessarily Whedon's masculine ideal (perhaps one archetype among several). 

Seriously my radical feminist friend spends enough time ranting about how much she hates a lot of 'feminist' blogging on the internet to convince me that this is not a joke.  In this regard feminism is, I think, as vulnerable to projecting its a priori ideals on a complicated world as much as any other ideology (I could cite other examples, but this would bring us into politics proper).  Just last night my friend was ranting about how patronizing it is to say "all X is a manifestation of rape," since it effectively deprives the women in question (prostitutes, for instance) of any agency of their own as well as any judgment, since it says that their thought that they have a choice in the matter (if they do think so, of course) is some sort of delusion.  Not that one can't argue against prostitution on feminist grounds from a different angle, rather that this particular line of reasoning doesn't respect the humanity (agency, rationality) of people that are convinced they are being rational and free.
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated

Also, I take umbrage with Khar's implication of Asimov. The dude can barely write humans, it's unfair to take him to task for his writing of women.

I wouldn't mind so much if he had, you know,

actually written any women.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

Dr. Calvin?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Seriously my radical feminist friend spends enough time ranting about how much she hates a lot of 'feminist' blogging on the internet to convince me that this is not a joke.  In this regard feminism is, I think, as vulnerable to projecting its a priori ideals on a complicated world as much as any other ideology (I could cite other examples, but this would bring us into politics proper).  Just last night my friend was ranting about how patronizing it is to say "all X is a manifestation of rape," since it effectively deprives the women in question (prostitutes, for instance) of any agency of their own as well as any judgment, since it says that their thought that they have a choice in the matter (if they do think so, of course) is some sort of delusion.  Not that one can't argue against prostitution on feminist grounds from a different angle, rather that this particular line of reasoning doesn't respect the humanity (agency, rationality) of people that are convinced they are being rational and free.

I've had enough contact with the lunatic fringe of radical feminism to know this isn't a joke as well, unfortunately. Your friend is also completely right about the lack of agency this strand of feminism gives to women. This also has the unfortunate effect of putting a vast amount of women off feminism, since they encounter this kind of feminism and think that that's what feminism is. The only people this essay and the theories surrounding it really admit to completely be people are men, women become reduced to nothing but perpetual victims which I find to be an incredibly anti-feminist line of thinking. It's depressing since it's such a tiny minority of feminist thinking but because it's the most shocking and so many people now want to disassociate themselves with the term due to it, it becomes very easy for it to be seen as much more important and representative than it actually is.

Also, somebody badly needs to get this woman a copy of The Death Of The Author.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated

Okay, I am being facetious. Asimovs works did improve significantly in that regard over his lifetime. In 'Foundation' the 50,000 year into the future galactic empire is entirely ruled by middle-aged, pipe-smoking white men. 

Nodaisho

She keeps on thinking that Mal is supposed to be the bearer of Whedon's ideals.

I keep thinking, "Maybe Whedon WANTED Mal to be a douche-bag."
I do remember hearing that he said that most of what came out of mal's mouth, he disagreed with.

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce

A pack of wolves--what can I say?  'Word?'
Feminism is one of those things I should aim to get more than casually acquainted with after I'm done reading dead white men.

I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

Tasteful means the camera will only show from the waist up, and your sign should cover your nibblies.

muteKi

Yes, admiring natural beauty is wrong everyone! When you're out appreciating forests or sunsets or beaches you're committing leering, and that's just plain lude.

The word is "lewd."

Also, why spend so much time on one nut job?

1. I know that, but that was how it was spelled in the comment that I had quoted.

2. Technically, that comment I quoted in said post was from someone else entirely, but to answer your question: because it can be pretty funny.

I myself identify as masculinist, for what it's worth.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I have to ask, what does masculinist mean for you? Is that to do with the idea that society has somehow become matriarchal, or wanting a promotion of better understanding of masculinity and the male identity, or a position of wanting equality between genders but not wanting to use the term feminist since it might be seen as an appropriation of something that should only be claimed by women?

A pack of wolves--what can I say?  'Word?'
Feminism is one of those things I should aim to get more than casually acquainted with after I'm done reading dead white men.

Same here, although it's dead black women for me right now an English degree makes the old white dudes my bread and butter. I'd most particularly like to know more about how feminism deals with the fact that gender isn't the binary that it's normally constructed to be. One of the the many problems I have with essays like this one is that they reduce things to men and women which silences all of those people who are both, neither or some blend of the two. There isn't a clear cut division between the sexes, that's just something we've created.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Narr

Well, I have to disagree to an extent.  There IS an inherent difference between men and women.  It's just not AS GREAT as history would have you think.  It's up to us as educated people to get men and women closer on an intellectual and societal level.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

But what is it, and where does that position all the people who are trans or intersex?

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building

I have to ask, what does masculinist mean for you? Is that to do with the idea that society has somehow become matriarchal, or wanting a promotion of better understanding of masculinity and the male identity, or a position of wanting equality between genders but not wanting to use the term feminist since it might be seen as an appropriation of something that should only be claimed by women?

I identify as a masculinist, and I feel that the concept is one of promoting gender equality. Masculinists seek to dispell the bias in the legal system and social mores that teach the idea that violence between men or done to men is somehow less serious or even humorous, while the same act done to a woman by a man is viewed as many times worse. Masculinists disagree with the "myth of innocence" often associated with women where a woman accusing a man is often automatically believed simply because she is a woman, resulting in a legal system where men are often presumed guilty whenever a female accuser is involved They feel that men are not viewed as a victims of sexual assault, but only perpetrators. Mostly, we just say that there are gender roles within our society that are bad for men, and we want to see those changed and corrected. Unfortunately masulinists are often viewed as "anti-femisists" or even misogonysts, neither of which are the case.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I think the reason masculinist gets that representation is for much the same reason feminism ends up getting a skewed representation. I must admit the only time I've ever come across people using that term to describe themselves previously they've been very misogynist and anti-feminist so it's interesting to see an alternative use of the word. Unfortunately these people are the most attention-grabbing as opposed to someone just arguing for equality.

SonofZ3

Its too bad asshats so often give perfectly respectable causes a bad face =/ Guys who are just misogonysts should admit it and not try to hide behind a more PC name. It seems that more and more (at least here in America) any pro-______ stand is immediately skewed into an anti-______ (opposite of first blank) perspective by the media and other individuals. The perfect example I can think of is race, any time a group of the same cultural identiy gets together to celebrate that it gets viewed as someone oppressing other cultures. I don't know why America has a such a preocupation with negativity, fostering this concept of everyone/group either being a victim, or victimism someone/thing. Sorry, rambled a bit there.

Aminal

Because we want to fight another Revolutionary War and the British won't play with us anymore.  We love overthrowing oppressors!

idiolect

I actually agree with everything SonofZ said, and would promote similar things, except for that "myth of innocence" bit -- that stuff makes me nervous.  You have to realize that most of the time when people say "female accuser" they mean "alleged rape victim," and that most rapes do not even get as far as being reported let alone actually prosecuted -- so I'd say that if someone actually has a good enough case to get over the institutional bias running against them to the point of getting a trial, we'd probably better listen to them.  I'm not saying that a mere accusation should be enough to lock someone up, just that an accusation of rape SHOULD be taken very seriously and SHOULD be taken to trial to let the accounts of what happened and evidence speak for themselves.

SonofZ3

I agree with what you're saying with regards to rape, but the idea of the myth of innocence applies to almost any crime. The idea is that, for example, if two men are standing there, a police officer walks by and one says "hey, that guy just hit me and took my mp3 player!" the officer will look into it, but regard neither party as more truthful, while a woman accusing a guy of that same crime would be immediately believed because of her gender. Or, one that I've seen happen personally: A guy I know, when he goes to the bar, puts his money on the bar in front of him with his car keys and stays there until he leaves for the night. I was sitting on his left, a young woman was on his right. The bar was packed. The young woman ordered a drink, the bartender brought the drink but took one of my friends 10's to pay for it. When he came back with the change and put it in front of the girl my friend told the bartender what happened, who looked at the young woman and said "Wasn't that your ten?" she said "yeah". My friend got angry, and we got kicked out of the bar. The bartender (to my knowledge) had no reason to assume my friend was lying, but believed what she said, in my opinion because she was a young woman and my friend wasn't. Maybe the two knew each other and scammed people like that often, I don't know.

when it comes to sexual assault, masculinists want to see cases of sexual assault reported by men taken equally as seriously as women. If a man reports having gotten drunk and sexually assaulted most people would laugh, or even believe that men cannot be assulted sexually by women. Men being sexually assaulted, especially in prison, is a common joke. We would like the legal system to acknowledge that sexual assault against men is real, and not funny, and should be taken seriously.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2008, 18:08 by SonofZ3 »

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

The bartender had a very good reason to believe the woman instead of your friend regardless of gender, which is that if he believes her then he didn't make a mistake and kicking the two of you out is probably the simplest option from his point of view. Also, what evidence do you have for police officers automatically believing women over men? Personally I've heard more anecdotal evidence of the opposite.

I agree with you about the seriousness of all sexual assault though, regardless of the genders of those involved.

camelpimp

I think, in general, sexual assault needs to be taken more seriously. "Hey, here's another comic that exploits sexual assault as a comedic device." (That was... Shortpacked! I believe)

idiolect

Again, I agree about sexual assault being taken more seriously etc etc etc, but it would be really awesome if this and other stuff I've seen called "masculinist" made more of an effort to serious positive activism and less of this weird "the girls get treated all special and it's not fair" stuff.

I'd argue that in the situations where the girls do get treated all special, as it were, it's a function of the enforcing of certain gender roles -- e.g. say the bartender knew, and was letting her get away with stuff because he wanted to get laid and now she'd feel a little indebted to him and thus more likely to "do him a favor" or some such -- which is ultimately not actually a benifit to women, even though it might've gotten one of them a few bucks this one time.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2008, 21:14 by idiolect »

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

I think, in general, sexual assault needs to be taken more seriously. "Hey, here's another comic that exploits sexual assault as a comedic device." (That was... Shortpacked! I believe)
Look out for the Bitstrips thread!
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?

The thing that got to me was the number of people who responded with things like (and this is an actual quote) "Hi. I found your essay insightful and very well researched." and agreed with her.

Seriously, this isn't feminism - this is misandry of the worst kind. I'M a feminist, in the classical sense - I believe that women and men should receive equal treatment in all things. I wouldn't try to hold Whedon up as a shining example of feminism in the mainstream media, but he's certainly better than average when it comes to the equal treatment of both genders - they're both glamourised equally.

The next scene we meet Kaylee, the ship’s mechanic. <- Lookee, lookee, feminist empowerment. In this scene Mal and Jayne are stowing away the cargo they just stole. Kaylee is chatting to them, happily. Jayne asks Mal to get Kaylee to stop being so cheerful. Mal replies, “Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month.” Yes, that is an exact quote, “Sometimes you just wanna DUCT TAPE HER MOUTH and DUMP HER IN THE HOLD FOR A MONTH.” Kaylee responds by grinning and giving Mal a kiss on the cheek and saying, “I love my Captain.”

It's as if this person has never heard of "jokes". A halfway-rational person watching that scene would immediately recognize from Mal's tone of voice and expression that he is in no way serious about that statement and was just poking fun at his friend - as friends do.

the whole "article" from start to finish betrays a massive prejudice on it's writer's part. She really ought to evaluate her own biases before accusing other people of sexism.

In other news, this person is a lunatic who can and should be ignored. She makes those of us who are genuinely interested in the fair and even-handed treatment of both genders look bad.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Lines

• Awakened

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This is a joke, right?
Unfortunately no. Joss Whedon did really write and direct the misogynist, racist trash Firefly. I wish that I had made up all of the info in this post but I'm sorry to say that Joss Whedon's Firefly was actually inflicted upon millions of innocent women.

Also her ideas on rape are utterly ridiculous. I am so glad someone called her out on it and the comment wasn't deleted, which from the subcomments it appears alecto had been doing for some time. I want to comment, but I need to make it sound like more than me just being pissed off that her post is both ridiculous and insulting, considering I consider myself a feminist.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES

I like this response:

Every plot of which I can conceive can be construed as hateful to women from the perspective of your blog post:

"Pretty girls fight evil and save the day." -> "Why do female heroes have to be reduced to eye candy?"

"Ugly lesbians fight evil and save the day." -> "Whedon has created his female heroes as carictures of everything men find hateful, and through that correlates the image of strong, heroic women with what men find hateful."

"Neutral-looking women of no apparent sexual orientation fight evil and save the day." -> "The female leads are all stripped of their female characteristics and fade into the scenery, essentially putting them into the kabuki role of female servitude in which they should be neither seen nor heard."

"No women are in the show at all." -> "Buffy presents a world in which women have been wiped out, and the guys run around wisecracking and fighting evil and having a grand old time. They are winking at genocide."

. . . do you see where I'm coming from? As much as I love counter-intuitive thinking, I wonder if your admitted biases have put you in a position where everything is anti-feminist, nothing is pro-feminist, and anti-women subplots can be found lurking behind every bush.

Lurking behind every bush HURR HURR HURR

Yes, I plan to. I found Objects in Space to be horrifically racist. I can't believe that Joss was allowed to air a show that had such a terrible portrayal of Black men. I also found the portrayal of the Black man in the movie Serenity to be pretty horrifying too.

One of her subsequent comments. Remind me where the racism was in that particular episode? They were being stalked and held hostage by an amoral bounty hunter who just happened to be black. I certainly didn't get any kind of a "he's a horrible person because he's black" vibe off it. There are plenty of characters from all ethnicities in the series, and none of them were presented as being bad people purely because of their genetic origin. Hell, two of the wisest, noblest and most well-adjusted characters in the entire show were Book and Zoe.

Even the Agent from the movie was not an actively bad person - he was just ruthlessly devoted to a cause that he believed to be honourable and Good.

I have to disagree with the title of this thread: this blog entry isn't hilarious - it's scary.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2008, 11:09 by Switchblade »

Narr

I'm surprised she hadn't deleted that response because it's more insightful than any of her bollix.

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.

Honestly, its no more radical than the people who willfully believe that the earth is flat, or that god created the earth some 10k years ago, or evolution isnt real (despite a large majority having house pets who owe their entire looks to forced evolution)

In reference to the psycho ranters thing about Joss, whatever, she is blowing things out of context because she is looking through a flawed lens.  We can sit here and pick apart her arguments one by one, because we are being fairly rational human beings.  She is obviously not rational.

I find this far more disturbing.

Quote from: Crazy Feminist
Let me just say now that I have never personally known of a healthy relationship between a white man and a woman of colour.  (More crap justifying her position why white guys shouldnt be with "coloured" girls)

It seems like she basically says (in an underhanded mean sort of way) that black women shouldnt date white men, because white guys only want them for their "exoticness"  (Side note: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=822).  I forget which logical fallacy that is, when you havent seen it, therefore it doesnt exist.

This person isnt worth the brain cells neccessary to respond to her distorted logic.
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

Lines

• Awakened

Damn it, can't put up a comment because I'm not her friend. (Like I'd want to be...  :roll:) But this is what I would have said:

Someone linked this to me and I have to say I think your entire post and your behavior in your comments is ridiculous. I am a feminist and from what you're saying I think a) you are taking this show WAY to seriously and have no sense of humor and b) you really need to rethink what is rape and how you come off as racist.

Zoe calls Mal "sir" because he was her commander in the war and later he was her captain. She is showing him respect, not placing herself beneath him. She is the strongest out of the four main females and definitely asserts herself when she disagrees with Mal. And seriously, the girl kicks major ass. She is in no way the female stereotype. Also, where you said that a black woman can't have a successful relationship with a white man is incredibly racist and I am very offended by this. One of my cousins married a black woman and they are happily married and have two kids.

Kaylee is very cute and happy in personality, but the girl knows her mechanics. She's very intelligent when it comes to engines and the like, but still retains a very feminine side, which is shown through her admiration of the pink dress. That line about Jayne and Mal getting annoyed with her being chipper was obviously a joke. Have you ever had an older brother or friend who was annoyed with bubbly girls? Obviously not. You obviously have a lame sense of humor, too.

River, even though she is pretty messed up because of what happened to her, is also a strong character, especially so in the movie when she's portrayed as a killing machine.

Inara, you have to realize, picked her profession by CHOICE. Her character went through training for years and belongs to a guild of companions. She is allowed to pick and choose who she wants to be with and who she doesn't. What she does is also more about the ritual and ceremony than it is about the sex. I mean, her specialty is foot massage. Saying that the men she CHOOSES are raping her is silly. Rape is a forced, violent act upon women and though I haven't been raped myself, I know people who have and I can't believe you consider the two to be the same. It's both ignorant and offensive to those who have experienced rape.

And saying shit about Whedon and you think he treats his wife is both stupid and completely uncalled for. You don't know these people. You aren't in their bedroom when they have sex. You know absolutely nothing about their personal lives. Have you ever met a man who beats his wife? No? Because if you want to rewind my life about 20 years and meet my dad I'm sure he'd loooove to give you a demonstration by smashing in your windshield while your baby was in the front seat with you.

If this is a tl;dr, here's the basics: I think your post is ridiculous and misinformed, I think you have WAY too much time on your hands and need to get a life, and I think you should reconsider posting about things you don't know about, i.e. rape, interracial relationships, and Whedon's life. I honestly don't know how or why so many people have agreed with you, because I think this whole thing is stupid and probably written to either purposely piss people off or start stupid internet rumors that don't hold their weight whatsoever.

I wanted so much to post that.  :-(

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES

I think we already know why there are so many comments agreeing with her - because she refuses to allow any (or many) others to be posted.

The whole comments section is edited to suit her own perverse world-view, and the substantial majority who aren't agreeing with her simply cannot make their voices heard in the context of that blog - she won't allow it.

All of which means that she's far too firmly set in her opinion to be swayed, even if the counter-opinion could even be presented. And if she is willing to ignore a LOT of evidence contrary to her opinion, I'm afraid that your comment, well-written though it is, wouldn't really do the job.

EDIT: I've been considering posting this for a while. The only reason I haven't yet is that it's somewhat NSFW, so you have been warned.

This is the blog of a nude model called Candy, and it's called "Feminism Without Clothes".

This is an example of REAL feminism - reasoning, sensible thought and opinion backed up by first-hand experience and a healthy dose of common sense. I have a lot of respect for Candy's opinion, which is why I thought I'd share it.
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2008, 05:15 by Switchblade »

LordNagash

I was going to make that same point about posting comments trying to reason with the author. She is clearly not going to change her mind, no matter what you write.

Lines

• Awakened

I knew that when she both deleted comments and only responded to those that agreed with her.

Nodaisho

@Switchblade: That blog does seem to be much healthier-minded, but I didn't read much, as the front page post was something I completely disagreed with (pro-bondage, anti-gun). I am pro-do-whatever-you-want-as-long-as-you-don't-hurt-anyone, anti-people-stick-their-noses-in-my-goddamn-business. My philosophy is somewhat less concise than hers, I suppose, but I prefer it anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up