THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 19:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Now that Faye is the Ass Man, what do you want to see at Coffee of Doom?

More chaos
- 10 (12.3%)
More romance
- 4 (4.9%)
More metalwork
- 10 (12.3%)
More basement
- 10 (12.3%)
More hipster slander
- 10 (12.3%)
More s'mores
- 2 (2.5%)
More Marten
- 1 (1.2%)
More Sam
- 10 (12.3%)
More ham on waffles
- 3 (3.7%)
More door
- 0 (0%)
More shirts
- 0 (0%)
More customers
- 3 (3.7%)
More menu items
- 5 (6.2%)
More poll options
- 13 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2530-2534 (9-13 September, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 46533 times)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

ARG GODDAMMIT I WROTE IT DOWN WHEN YOU MENTIONED IT LAST WEEK BUT I FORGOT

Happy Birthday!
:laugh:
Thanks. And don't worry, I definitely know this feeling. And thanks Skewbrow!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Getting my ears pierced was a big deal for me too.
And yeah, getting my ears pierced was a pretty big deal for me too, although at that point I had been pretty out with the way I dress for about a year already.
I was still presenting as male then. Or trying to, with a bit less success every passing day (pardon the pun). That was when the change rate was at its height, losing a kilo a day, blood chemistry well beyond anything remotely normal. Sex hormones were just part of it, other things were happening that were life threatening. I suspect this kind of thing is more common than the literature would suggest, but usually pretty quickly fatal so unreported.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Kind of tempted to repierce them but I don't know how professional it would be in law school.
One of the great Advantages of being a Geekette - I can wear Dalek earrings when giving lectures, and get complimentary remarks.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

My chemistry teacher in Gymnasium was famous for her unusual earrings. Once she wore earrings in the form of the Enterprise NCC-1701 and the NCC-1701-D.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

One day I will look up how to tell them apart, but today is not this day.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

The bottom of the NCC-1701 (disc-thing) was convex, NCC-1701-D had a concave bottom. The front parts of the NCC-1701 warp nacelles were orange, NCC-1701-D was pink. NCC-1701 was Constitution-class, NCC-1701-D was Galaxy-class.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Well, keeping the NCC-1701 and the NCC-1701-D apart is easy. The D is the one from TNG, the original Enterprise is from the original series.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2013, 08:09 by ankhtahr »

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

From one of the modelmakers:
The original-series Enterprise looked like it was built by Ford.
The movie-series Enterprise looked like it was built by Chevy.
The Next Generation Enterprise (the "D") looked like it was built by Mazda.

From me:
The original-series Enterprise looked like a double-barreled hair dryer.
The movie-series Enterprise looked like a double-barrelled hair dryer as sold by Sharper Image.
Excelsior/Enterprise-B looked like a pizza cutter.
Yesterday's Enterprise ("C") looked like a bigger pizza cutter.
The Next Generation Enterprise (la "D") looked like a gravy ladle.
Enterprise-E looked as if someone melted Enterprise-B and stepped on it.
Voyager looked like a sugar or flour scoop.
Defiant looked like a hip flask.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

wiserd

• Emoticontraindication

Why are there racks of sweaters or hoodies or something in a piercing/tattooing place? Do they normally sell clothes as well in the USA? Take in dry cleaning? Have a huge staff who nearly all wear black?

I can't remember the name of the place, but my wife got a piercing in one of those 'cutsey kawaii' type stores that sold earrings, clothes, the 1,000th re-incarnation of Hello Kitty and other fashion accessories for girls...  This encapsulates the extent of my knowledge of piercing establishments.

wiserd

• Emoticontraindication

It occurs to me that "You must be 18 or have a guardian present" could be taken to mean that people who are 19-plus must also have a guardian present.

I'm not sure where you're coming from here. Exclusive "OR" would imply that you could have one or the other. Inclusive "OR" would allow but not require both. To require both, you'd need an "AND."

Edit: I see... they should have said "Over 18"
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2013, 16:28 by wiserd »

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

It occurs to me that "You must be 18 or have a guardian present" could be taken to mean that people who are 19-plus must also have a guardian present.

I'm not sure where you're coming from here. Exclusive "OR" would imply that you could have one or the other. Inclusive "OR" would allow but not require both. To require both, you'd need an "AND."

It could mean that if someone is 19+ that will not get service if their parent or guardian is present. 

AKAfreaky

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

If one were being pernickety, "You must be 18" could exclude everyone older and younger than eighteen.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

One was being pernickety. And welcome to the board, Freaky!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

I love how Marten has absolutely zero reaction to the screams of horror.  That man has seen some shit.

Naw.  He's simply seen 'Blood Tree IV:  The Piercing' so many times now it doesn't even faze him.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Hm. Our piercing lady has changed hairstyle drastically - and apparently doesn't have as much ink as she used to.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

Hm. Our piercing lady has changed hairstyle drastically - and apparently doesn't have as much ink as she used to.

Different piercing lady?  Maybe the other one is in back with a customer.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

she also changed her eye color and face apparently.

or that's just a different employee from before.

edit: Ninja'd!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I lived and worked for 25 years in a medium-small Ohio town that easily had a dozen places in which one could get a tattoo, along with a few places that did side business during the annual motorcycle party. I have to imagine an artsier town such as Northampton could top that easily, and the tat shop employees taken together would be a riot of rainbow colors and decorative clankery.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

decorative clankery.

This made my day. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Yeah, I'm imagining Pierce in the Zits comic.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Or just Jeph himself.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat

The two piercing staff members do look very similar but the tattoos are radically different (the piercings might well be identical - the eyebrow ones could be covered by the pink hair fringe).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Today's employee looks like Cosette with pink hair and tats. The one in #1248 looks more (to me) like Dora or May with pink-and-black hair and tats.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Well, compare Tai from that comic to the Tai of Wednesday's comic.
Just another Joe like 46

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Today's employee looks like Cosette with pink hair and tats. The one in #1248 looks more (to me) like Dora or May with pink-and-black hair and tats.

I don't think they are supposed to be the same person. The earlier one has many more tatoos, for one thing.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

They've also got different personalities, as far as I can tell.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.

I was quite nervous when I had my ears pierced. I was 24 and had not even started hormones yet. My then-girlfriend took me to a "Claire's" shop (Quite the coincidence eh?) and they let me hold a teddy bear while I got it done.
Super-villain in training.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I was quite nervous when I had my ears pierced. I was 24 and had not even started hormones yet.
It's a rite of passage, whether you realise that or not.

I know some trans guys freak out at the thought. There's something very Freudian about having one's body pierced.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken

I love how Claire's hair recoiled back at the same time her body did.

I don't think I'll ever get any piercings. Though I certainly have no problem with them, I can't think of any that I'd like to have. I'm planning on getting my first tattoo on St. Patrick's Day. I know that seems like a lot of advanced planning, but it's for a charity event. I'm not that worried about the pain and needles don't really phase me (I had a lot of blood tests done when I was a wee sickly lad). I just haven't had the motivation to get one yet.

Just Karen

• Plantmonster
  • Just Karen

I was quite nervous when I had my ears pierced. I was 24 and had not even started hormones yet.
It's a rite of passage, whether you realise that or not.

I know some trans guys freak out at the thought. There's something very Freudian about having one's body pierced.

I had my ears pierced in April/May 2011 (well after I had gone full-time; I was nervous about infections and issues.)

I took the temporary "medical-quality" steel ones out three months later.  Within two weeks, I had infected earlobes (probably due to a nickel allergy I didn't know about, combined with bad earrings).  I went back in, they gave me stuff to use to clean them, and put the steel ones back in.

I haven't taken the steel ones out since.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

For those just joining us, Andy147 has done an amazing long-term job of counting character appearances, and is in the wiki.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up