THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 11:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me help Her  (Read 15956 times)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
Re: Help me help Her
« Reply #50 on: 16 Apr 2008, 11:35 »

Everyone suggesting Weezer over Sloan needs to give their life some serious thought.

TRUE THAT.

Don't feel too bad for Sloan, though.  They've sold more records, and certainly sell out larger venues, than Weezer - they just do it in Canada instead of the States or the UK.

THAT SAID, one must keep in mind that Sloan did have a "down time" - Pretty Together and Action Pact were quite unspectacular coming off the string of awesome they had recorded, especially since the immediately prior album was Between the Bridges, their best balls-out rocker IMO.

The new one is fucking fantastic, though, so here's to 10 more years of Sloan.  HFXNSHC.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

tommydski

« Reply #51 on: 16 Apr 2008, 12:29 »

I liked Action Pact. I wanted to hate it because they were, for want of a better phrase, doing it wrong. It was an obvious ploy for mainstream (read: US) acceptance. They recorded in California with a big name producer and didn't include any Andrew Scott songs (heresy!) but when the album comes up on my iPod I still tap my feet. The songs are still there. Pretty Together wasn't amazing but it was okay. Certainly nothing as bad as Make Believe. Never Hear the End of It had some genuine pap but if you cut those out there was still a great album left. The Pentland songs in particular on that record were on the shitty end of average.

Incidentally, there is a new Sloan record on the way but I'm going to talk about it here instead because I've derailed this thread enough.

Quote from: dk
Well Tommy, I thought you'd know better than to call Rivers the biggest dickwad in music.

He is the biggest dickwad in music. The worst reports you've heard about him scratch the surface. The man is an absolute tit.

Edit - Sorry to be pedantic but Sloan never sold anything like the same number of records as Weezer.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #52 on: 16 Apr 2008, 15:20 »

Another thought. If there are any cool local bands that are getting a lot of hype, it could be fun to go to one of their shows together (if you're the kind of siblings that do these things together). If she likes them, recommend some other bands that have similar sounds. This is how I've introduced some friends to other things.

mfpole

• Furry furrier
  • Whats it going to be, eh?
« Reply #53 on: 17 Apr 2008, 17:29 »

Music can be appreciated at any age, so I think introducing a young person to something thats under the radar enough to pique their interest is a good idea. Music has paid a big part of my life, and that's mostly because my dad was always familiarizing me with "other" music when I was young. The Pixies were indeed my favorite band from 5-8th grade. Some people really identify with music, and giving a young girl that exposure could be good! There's no harm in trying..
i am the operator with my pocket calculator

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #54 on: 18 Apr 2008, 13:18 »

Edit - Sorry to be pedantic but Sloan never sold anything like the same number of records as Weezer.

I did some research and it looks like you are right.  Weezer has miraculously managed to sell 8+ million albums, and the only numbers I could get for Sloan indicated they've sold somewhere around 3 million.

That is so depressing.  "Tired of Sex" and "El Scorcho" are the only Weezer songs that anyone ever needs to hear, and I can't believe their fans still give them a free pass.  I've even heard lots of people saying the new single is "amazing" and "a return to the Blue album".  Ugh.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #55 on: 19 Apr 2008, 18:01 »

No one really knows why they still give Weezer the benefit of the doubt.  That's what makes it so consternating. Pinkerton is probably one of my favorite albums, but the rest of their catalogue is better conveyed if you make your own mixes of the songs that don't suck. Which I have done X_X. But it's not like Weezer are the only band with fans who still pay attention for no goddamn reason. Even if they haven't liked the last 3 albums. But they still read the website newsfeed on occasion.

diablo_man

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #56 on: 20 Apr 2008, 22:46 »

well, i dont know too much about indie music(read nearly nothing), but if she likes girl singers and light poppy stuff, and you want her checking out older more listenable bands, try Fleetwood Mac.

also, ben harper?

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #57 on: 20 Apr 2008, 23:09 »

Why are you trying to argue that your bands have any more merit than Avril Lavigne? That's just stupid. Let her listen to whatever she wants.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #58 on: 21 Apr 2008, 08:05 »

For some reason I have a really hard time telling who is singing in Sloan.  I can usually recognize Andrew's earlier stuff - I'm thinking specifically of "People of the Sky", one of my favourite songs of theirs.  And I know Jay's voice when I hear it because I usually don't like it.  But telling the difference between Patrick and Chris is tough for some reason for me.  I know "Money City Maniacs" is Patrick, and it's probably the awesomest thing on Navy Blues.  I'm pretty totally clueless as to who wrote what on Between the Bridges, which is sad since it's their best album.  Same with Never Hear the End of It, I can hear Jay in his 2 songs but either Andrew's singing style or his voice have changed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up