THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 16:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eli Stone  (Read 3587 times)

Narr

Eli Stone
« on: 13 Apr 2008, 23:08 »

Just curious if anyone else here watches the show.  I've been following it since the pilot and think it's pretty awesome.  The season finale is coming up on Thursday and I guess the producers and actors of the show don't know if it's going to be picked up for another season quite yet.  I'm not sure if I'm bringing the show up just to see if anyone else watches it to dissuade my fears that it's just a one season thing.

I just love any show that seems to have a clearcut goal with where it's going.  All the plot twists and intrigues so far seem to have been thought out up-front rather than like with how Lost seems to throw in plot twists on a whim.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Re: Eli Stone
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2008, 12:15 »

All I know is I saw commercials for it while watching Lost and any show that gives money to George Michael is immoral in my book. Hasn't it been a rather short season? It could only have been 9 or 10 episodes by my count.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2008, 13:10 »

Yeah, but that's the nature of a midseason replacement. It's a common practice for a show that the network wants to push but isn't sure will catch on to be thrown on the air for only half a season adjacent to a popular show.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Narr

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2008, 13:18 »

12 so far with the 13th being the season finale.  I just looked at the guide on their site after a quick google search.  That is a rather short season now that you mention it, but then again, most shows this season were hurt pretty bad by the writer's strike.

IMO, it hasn't been bad that it's been short because the pacing has been spot-on.  They don't throw up a million questions just to only answer one at a time, which I like.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2008, 13:32 »

It was never intended to be longer than that. As I said, it was a midseason replacement. They have those every year to slot in in case a new show bombs or to try out during hiatuses.

It's been a common practice in the television industry for decades. Look through your DVD collection and you may notice that some of your shows will have a Season 1 & 2 DVD set before seasons 3 and onward are consistantly a single set, or you may notice the first season has fewer discs than subsequent seasons if it stands alone. That's generally because it was a midseason replacement that caught on.

Many well known shows were midseason replacements with shortened first seasons, such as the Simpsons, Quantum Leap, NewsRadio, Buffy, All In the Family, Happy Days, Family Guy, the Wonder Years and Batman.

Honestly, midseason replacements are quite often where you see the cult hits show up. The network feels they're strong enough on their own to merit airing, but not so strong that they could carry themselves through a full season in its own timeslot. Usually it'll get slotted in in between two big popular shows (The much desired 8:30 Thursday NBC timeslot of the mid-nineties was a huge spot for rotating midseason replacements being between Friends and Seinfeld) or replace a big show during a hiatus before being moved to its own timeslot to try and hold its own upon the former show's return.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2008, 13:36 by 0bsessions »
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Narr

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2008, 18:36 »

Oh man, your post made me miss Quantum Leap.  That show was fucking awesome.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2008, 11:58 »

I've seen 4 episodes of Eli Stone and cannot really imagine watching any more of them. The show's about faith so by extension many of the conflicts are basically dictated by Mulder and Scully syndrome: Life is messy and confusing, but the primary character is right because he has a plot device feeding him correct information, and the other characters are wrong because they don't (or because they're the token bitchy antagonist.) The dialogue also tends to veer between one liners and trading heartfelt speeches about What This Has Meant To Me-- Victor Garber's character is apparently good for at least one monologue set against earnest background music per episode. Despite that, the pacing is indeed excellent and the show can be surprisingly playful considering the subject matter plus the characters tend to be suitably sympathetic since their fears and concerns are such universal issues. Unfortunately, I'm a notoriously fickle viewer and I just don't think it's quite good enough to hold my attention any longer.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2008, 12:03 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

volatile

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2008, 04:00 »

GODDAMN, I wanted this show to succeed.  I'm retarded over Jonny Lee Miller, and I was so happy when he got his own vehicle.

BUT.  The show was meh, and I doubt we'll see it back.  Shame, shame.

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2008, 04:39 »

Considering the show has been renewed for a second season I think we will see it back.

I finished watching the season finale last night after watching the whole season over the span of two days. I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely something to watch when all you want is light entertainment. I'll be watching the second season, I'm interested in where they're going.
Pages: [1]   Go Up