THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is the best commercial voice, narrator, or sports annoucer?  (Read 19365 times)

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg

Have you ever watched a commercial and thought "Damn, he/she's got a nice voice... My sucks compared to that person's"
or Listen to a sport annoucer and thought "How can they see the game while looking at the script full of zingers?"

Well I havent until now, and you should too.
Post Video Examples, Discuss, and Debate. It's a good topic people, go with it.
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Man. I watched Extra Innings for a week, only to realize that most baseball announcers are hell of boring. I'm used to Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy doing Red Sox games. Not the most interesting voices..but they make up for it by being 115% crazy. They'll spend innings at a time in a state of hysterics.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Foster Hewitt - from "Hockey Night in Canada", and Lorne Greene - when he did CBC news.

You may now lock the thread.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2008, 00:51 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch

I concur.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook

The best bit of narration is Alec Baldwin's in The Royal Tennenbaums.

The best sports announcer is (the late) Harry Carey.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

There's a guy who does the voiceovers for SBS (an Australian tv channel) and he also does some stuff for Triple J (Australian radio station) and I think he does the voiceovers for gaymatchmaker.com.au advertisements. Dude has the best voice ever.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Morgan Freeman. Seriously, he made the Shawshank Redemption that much better with his narration. Also, the prez on 24 who's in the progressive commercials has a pretty good voice for that kind of stuff.

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.

I personally think Kelsey Grammar(Gramar?) has probably one of the best voices for that type of stuff.  Ive heard his voice in numerous commercials (Plus, Sideshow Bob, you cannot argue with that).  Maybe not the best for "exciting" or "high energy" stuff, but w/e.

Also, anyone in Colorado, or who has lived in Colorado:  Tom Shane for Shane Company.
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication

History is only enhanced when it is narrated by Edward Herrmann (the grandpa on "Gilmore Girls" among other things.) AS for less alive folks, Edward R. Murrow had a great voice and any time Rod Serling talks I get weak in the knees.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

Thread over.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

thehollow

hmmm you may be on to something there.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

David Attenborough

John Cleese

Michael Palin

Richard Dawkins (even if you don't like his views his voice is fantastic).
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch

Sam Elliot.

I totally spaced him out until I watched a commercial for some beer last night...the beer alludes me, but Sam Elliot's voice still sends shivers down my spine. He's fantastic! I love his voice!!

PacoSees

Alan Kaulter.

He may not be as funny as he thinks he is, but his voice is awesome.

Narr

I think the best sports announcer is Bob Costas.  He's pretty down to earth and doesn't try to wow you with retarded stories.

We could easily make a sister thread to this one about announcers we hate.  I'd really like to hate on Tony Kornheiser.

Noct

• Larger than most fish

Very much agree with Sam Elliot and David Attenborough.

See also: Patrick Stewart, James Earl Jones

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

There's a guy who does the voiceovers for SBS (an Australian tv channel) and he also does some stuff for Triple J (Australian radio station) and I think he does the voiceovers for gaymatchmaker.com.au advertisements. Dude has the best voice ever.

He's also "King Wally Otto in the sound-proof booth" for Roy & H.G.

Who, incidentally, are the best sports commentators around. (Gordon Bray is runner-up.)

thegreatbuddha

Peter Cullen. In addition to being Optimus Prime, he does a whole slew of voiceovers.

In a World.

One Man.

One Taco Stand.

Nothing Will Ever Be The Same.

Did I mention he was Optimus Prime?
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2008, 21:54 by thegreatbuddha »
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

thehollow

We could easily make a sister thread to this one about announcers we hate.  I'd really like to hate on Tony Kornheiser.
Madden makes me want to kill people. He's generally ok for the first half of a game because you can laugh at how dumb most of the shit he says is but by the end of the game you just want him to shut the fuck up.

Narr

Naw, I like John Madden.  I think it's just popular to make fun of him because he seems like the jolly type that can take it.  I prefer him to a lot of other guys that announce Football (cough TONY KORNHEISER cough hack snort) at any rate.

Anyway:

I watched those links provided by Inlander.  BATTERED SAV!

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU

Terry Gross has the most soothing voice ever.  If she did commercials, I would buy anything she sold.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

The man invented virtually the entire lexicon of basketball colloquialisms.  His play-by-play skills were unequaled.  The greatest basketball announcer ever.

Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down

Man it always wierds me out a little bit at first when I hear the SBS dude talking about twinks and bears.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

I can list more guys I hate than ones I like:

Announcers I hate: Ken "Hawk" Harrelson (White Sox color commentator), Joe Morgan (ESPN announcer who makes constant glaring errors and happens to be a moron, see his "fan" site) and Tim McCarver (Just an absolute fucking tit). I used to hate Joe Buck, but he endeared himself a bit in my eyes after taking a $1,000 dare for charity from Conan O'Brien where he had to slip the word "jubjub" casually into his commentary during game one of the World Series last year.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

valley_parade

• coprophage

He's pretty decent as a football announcer, actually. "pretty decent" meaning "not fucking great".

There was a guy Fox Soccer Channel used to have as a color commentator for their Argentine games. Christian Bozzo. He was a perfect foil to Max Bretos. Where Max is incredibly annoying at times (his goal call is "Gooooooooooooooooooal???!?"), Christian was humorous, and had a pretty cool Spanish accent.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2008, 07:00 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES

I'm aiming wildly here, but anyone from Australia will know the old "coming up next" guy from SBS. He also does radio ads for the local strip bar. Not that I've gone there... :angel:
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there

Keith David's voice = pure sex
« Last Edit: 11 May 2008, 08:10 by KickThatBathProf »
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

Wait what? We're missing some of these handsome gentlemen:

Ira Glass

Stephen Fry

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

pig nash

• Plantmonster

I personally think Kelsey Grammar(Gramar?) has probably one of the best voices for that type of stuff.  Ive heard his voice in numerous commercials (Plus, Sideshow Bob, you cannot argue with that).  Maybe not the best for "exciting" or "high energy" stuff, but w/e.

Also, anyone in Colorado, or who has lived in Colorado:  Tom Shane for Shane Company.

We've got Shane Co in Indiana too!

at 96th and Hague road, you've got a friend in the diamond business!

Also I like Billy Crudup in the Mastercard commercials.

bicostp

• Beyoncé

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Don LaFontaine yet.

If you've ever been to the movies, you've heard this guy.

EDIT: Also, the guy on the History channel that narrates Modern Marvels and just about everything else they produce.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2008, 10:55 by bicostp »
Pages: [1]   Go Up