THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some please think of the children!  (Read 6017 times)

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
Some please think of the children!
« on: 09 Apr 2008, 08:32 »

So they have cancelled the Simpsons from Venezuelan TV because it is corrupting children. That is bad enough but to replace it with wait for it...Baywatch! What the hell?!?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7338131.stm
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Siert

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: Some please think of the children!
« Reply #1 on: 09 Apr 2008, 08:34 »

I had just read about this in the paper today, thats some...backwards thinking. Maybe its an act to lower anti-social behaviour (Yes lets stop people saying "Eat my shorts!") and raises sexual awareness in boys about breasts!

It is a cunning plot, I theorise Pamela Anderson running for government over there.
For every comic you read, A kitten giggles!

Solo-project ; http://www.myspace.com/Truesolitation (Taking commisions, think about it your own personal song!)

Help me create a city! : http://hamildonia.myminicity.com/

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 09 Apr 2008, 08:54 »

Not a surprise. Everyone knows The Simpsons is a culturally corruptive representation of The Empire, created only to subvert the Bolivarian Revolution and influence the weak-minded children of Caracas.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #3 on: 09 Apr 2008, 09:03 »

It's because The Simpsons makes you crave cock. They are using Baywatch to fight teh gay.

Chrasstor

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • ?Four dollars and x amount of cents
« Reply #4 on: 09 Apr 2008, 12:15 »

New Simpsons is gat dam horrible, anyhow.

I mean, the old stuff when Matt Groening was at the helm was pretty decent... But, now days, they've just been going down a slippery slope to suckage. The movie was complete shit.

I hate it when a series goes on for too long and just ends up tarnishing it's own name.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #5 on: 09 Apr 2008, 12:32 »

It's true. Although the show is still going on, I don't think about new episodes and tend to think of it as a show from the 90s.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #6 on: 09 Apr 2008, 15:40 »

I mean, the old stuff when Matt Groening was at the helm was pretty decent.

Really, the only ones where you can accurately say that Groening was "at the helm" were the early Tracy Ullman Show shorts, which are fairly funny, but not exactly great.  The show wouldn't be anywhere near as great as it was in its heyday without people like James L. Brooks, Sam Simon, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, David Mirkin, Bill Oakley, Josh Weinstein, etc., etc., etc., and etc.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #7 on: 09 Apr 2008, 23:10 »

"Pretty decent" is really not strong enough if you are talking about classic years Simpsons. It pretty much sucks now, should have ended years ago, but damn it was some of the world's best television for five or six years there.

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #8 on: 09 Apr 2008, 23:12 »

The new ones aren't entirely bad, the one where Ralph Wiggum gets both party nominations is pretty win.

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #9 on: 09 Apr 2008, 23:40 »

I haven't seen that one, but even if they are "not entirely bad" episodes these days that's kind of a long hard fall from one of the world's best shows.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2008, 04:41 »

Man, back in the day you could not top the Simpsons no matter how hard you tried.  Summer of 4'2" is evidence of this.  Nowadays you can definitely tell they're just sticking around for the Longest-Running TV Series Ever record, and then canning the show after that season.

Also am I really the only one who enjoyed the movie?  To me, it wasn't like most cartoon series movies, in that they're usually just really long episodes, but with the camera angles, different artwork, and actual plot, it actually felt like a movie to me.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2008, 13:11 by SilentJ »
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2008, 05:00 »

Haven't seen The Simpsons for ages, but I reckoned the thinking behind this was "Dispose of the slightly subversive cartoon and replace it with a soothing mindless balm of tits!"
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2008, 05:35 »

Also am I really the only one who enjoyed the movie?  To me, it wasn't like most cartoon series movies, in that they're usually just really long episodes, but with the camera angles. different artwork, and actual plot, it actually felt like a movie to me.

I'm with you. I absolutely loved the movie, and I think the last two seasons are quite better than the few that preceded it, although nowhere near as consistent as the "classic" seasons.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2008, 17:06 »

I'd sooner watch Hugo Chavez ramble for 480 minutes than a single episode of 'Baywatch'.

Seriously. The guy's like a Spanish-speaking, slightly terrifying Eddie Izzard. Except he's serious.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2008, 23:43 »

Also am I really the only one who enjoyed the movie?  To me, it wasn't like most cartoon series movies, in that they're usually just really long episodes, but with the camera angles, different artwork, and actual plot, it actually felt like a movie to me.

The movie had some huge problems, but I have to say that there were some pretty great moments--especially anything involving Milhouse.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2008, 14:21 »

I saw that report, and my jaw dropped. I particularly liked the use of images.

I also found it humorous and commendable that the journalist managed to refrain from mocking the decision, and just kept on with the neutral tone. The BBC are good at this, I find, which may be a good idea from an editorial point of view but does mean we miss out on some serious amusement sometimes.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2008, 05:11 »

Apologies for a) thread necro, b) off-topic posting and c) double posting but I wanted to show you this.

It didn't quite seem to deserve its own thread, but it amused me.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2008, 19:52 »

The movie wasn't terrible so much as it was just....kind of lame.  I enjoyed it a lot when I was watching it but afterwards I felt slightly bad for laughing.  My biggest problem with the Simpsons movie was the IMMENSE emphasis on the Spiderpig joke. It seemed to be everywhere, they even sold the audio for a cellphone ring.  Spiderpig wasn't even funny!

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2008, 02:06 »

Also am I really the only one who enjoyed the movie?  To me, it wasn't like most cartoon series movies, in that they're usually just really long episodes, but with the camera angles. different artwork, and actual plot, it actually felt like a movie to me.

I'm with you. I absolutely loved the movie, and I think the last two seasons are quite better than the few that preceded it, although nowhere near as consistent as the "classic" seasons.

Thirded. I think the last few seasons they've slowly got the show back up, not as good as the first 7 or seasons but still pretty damn solid. And yeah, the movie was really good.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2008, 15:51 »

My biggest problem with the Simpsons movie was the IMMENSE emphasis on the Spiderpig joke. ...Spiderpig wasn't even funny!

QFT
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #20 on: 30 Apr 2008, 16:11 »

Somebody PLEASE edit the title of this thread the misspelling is killing me.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2008, 16:19 »

Now I have the Spiderpig song stuck in my head

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2008, 17:11 »

Some PLEASE edit the title of this thread the misspelling is killing me.

fix'd lololololololololololo
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap
Pages: [1]   Go Up