THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contemporary artists!  (Read 19647 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: Contemporary artists!
« Reply #50 on: 17 Apr 2008, 11:26 »

"[Shvarts' exhibit] turns what is a serious decision for women into an absurdism," Rahman said. "It discounts the gravity of the situation that is abortion."

What she said. I honestly don't know why anyone would willingly induce multiple miscarriages. I'm pro-choice, but what she did is pretty disgusting to me and also pretty scary, because she put her life at risk by doing it however many times she did.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Narr

« Reply #51 on: 17 Apr 2008, 11:53 »

I had just been linked that abortion story in an IRC channel I frequent.

That's utterly disgusting.  Pro-life or pro-choice, it's still utter garbage in terms of being "art."  As someone in the IRC channel said, it's like claiming serial murder is art.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #52 on: 17 Apr 2008, 11:56 »

because she put her life at risk by doing it however many times she did.

And that's why it's really good art.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #53 on: 17 Apr 2008, 12:08 »

It's nothing like claiming serial murder is art unless you're pro-life, which she very obviously isn't. Neither am I, so this doesn't offend me in the slightest.

I actually rather like the idea of this piece, I'd be interested to see it. It raises questions about what a person's body can be used for and whether or not we have the right to censure someone for actions taken upon themselves. Personally I'd say she's perfectly within her rights to do whatever she wishes with her own body, and I like the fact that this piece is entering into that dialogue. It's doing it in a way obviously designed to cause controversy but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that. Look at Bob Flanagan, he was hardly subtle but there was a lot of depth to what he did.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #54 on: 17 Apr 2008, 12:21 »

I don't see it as good art. I'm glad she wanted to spark conversation between art and the human body, but I think she was severely lacking in how her project addressed abortion. In this aspect and also from that article, she didn't seem to realize this and try to attempt to defend that part of her work. (She may have at the forum, but I don't know this as I wasn't there, so I can only base this off of the article.) And the idea of walking into a gallery and seeing the videos and the sculpture and wanting to vomit and/or cry do not help me appreciate it. She may be living up to her standard of art, but I don't share her opinion in the slightest.

Also, an artist not caring about their health is kind of silly. We work around hazardous and poisonous materials everyday and preventing accidents is kind of important. (My current number ones are good ventilation and not catching on fire.) Hooray for art being number one, but you can't make art when you're dead.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #55 on: 17 Apr 2008, 12:28 »

Imagine how much people would pay for a piece if you died while creating it!

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #56 on: 17 Apr 2008, 12:53 »

Yes, whatever happened to suffering for ones art?

On a more serious note, I think I've decided that, even though the idea of it horrifies and disgusts me on a personal level, I'd still be very interested in seeing how this piece turns out.  Maybe I just like offending myself.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #57 on: 17 Apr 2008, 14:38 »

Hooray for art being number one, but you can't make art when you're dead.

And obviously we can't decide for ourselves whether to take risks or not.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #58 on: 17 Apr 2008, 15:46 »

I think artists should be given nearly unmitigated freedom, but when it comes to something like this, there's no point that can be made in that fashion that can't be made in a less horrendous way. It's akin to that guy starving a dog to death for the purposes of "art. "

Sorry, but when your "art" causes the death of another living being, that's where the line is drawn--and I'm vehemently pro-choice, by the way.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #59 on: 17 Apr 2008, 16:37 »

So I found my way back to Warren's blog (it's a busy workday, can you tell?) and he's posted a followup : http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=5840

"My money says the physical “art” doesn’t exist, not as described. I mean, I’m open to being wrong. But right now, I think the press release itself is the art piece. In fact, I would imagine any final presentation would be a collation of the media responses to the press release, broadcast as it was during a visit from the Pope to her country of residence....If she’s doing what I think she’s doing, Aliza Shvarts might be the first “great” conceptual artist of the internet age."

So it looks like this could either turn out disgusting, or really freaking cool.  I hope to god Mr. Ellis is right.

Edit: http://dimensionsart.blogspot.com/2008/04/aliza-shvartz.html

He totally called it.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2008, 17:26 by Noct »

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #60 on: 17 Apr 2008, 18:00 »

I think artists should be given nearly unmitigated freedom, but when it comes to something like this, there's no point that can be made in that fashion that can't be made in a less horrendous way. It's akin to that guy starving a dog to death for the purposes of "art. "

Sorry, but when your "art" causes the death of another living being, that's where the line is drawn--and I'm vehemently pro-choice, by the way.

We've already discussed the dog thing, the evidence that the artist actually starved the dog to death is highly dubious. How do you feel her point should have been made then? Although I haven't seen the finished work of art I think it sounds like a good way to go about it to me (although admittedly I do feel no death was involved, I understand that if you feel differently about abortion this would seem different but to me it's a bunch of cells). I can't see how some of the issues raised by this work could have been brought up without effecting your own body in a serious fashion.

As for the artist failing to give due regard to health and safety, there's nothing wrong with risking your health to do something you think is important. Graffiti artists do it all the time. Just because something isn't safe doesn't mean it's a bad idea, it just means you should give it some serious thought before you embark on it.

Edit: I just checked out that blog that suggests the art piece was the press release (and presumably the debate it resulted in). That's a fascinating idea, if that is the case I'll be interested to see how she develops it into something for exhibit. I suppose it also partially answers the question I asked of how to raise these issues without actually effecting the body. Nicely done, if this is the case, although if the act has actually taken place it will probably be a more lasting work, raising certain questions in a more visceral, uncomfortable fashion. However, this other concept brings in other issues about the new ways in which culture is debated after the advent of the internet. Either way, this is an artist I'm going to keep an eye on.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2008, 18:44 by a pack of wolves »
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Narr

« Reply #61 on: 17 Apr 2008, 19:53 »

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #62 on: 17 Apr 2008, 21:46 »

Yeah, read that on Yale's website. I'm glad.

I find it ironic that the university's spokesperson says that the very reason that this wasn't real--that it would cause serious health concerns, etc--were brushed off by people on here: (paraphrase) "Sometimes you have to suffer for art."
 - Napoleon

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #63 on: 17 Apr 2008, 22:34 »

I assume you are referring to my post, and/or this one right below it:

Yes, whatever happened to suffering for ones art?

Yeah, how callous. Oh wait, there's more below that:

On a more serious note

golly!

---

Incidentally, while I thought this idea was very disturbing, I thought it plausible because I have known art students who've done crazy dangerous things with their own body. For example, another student in my department when I was in grad school did a performance where he injected a tube into his arm and then painted with the blood squirting out. jeezus
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2008, 22:37 by jhocking »

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #64 on: 17 Apr 2008, 22:43 »

I like Jake Von Slatt. He mods modern technology to a steampunk decor. It is neat.

Here is a keyboard.

Here is an LCD computer monitor.

He also does guitars, buses, iPods, and other stuff
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #65 on: 17 Apr 2008, 23:23 »

Incidentally, while I thought this idea was very disturbing, I thought it plausible because I have known art students who've done crazy dangerous things with their own body. For example, another student in my department when I was in grad school did a performance where he injected a tube into his arm and then painted with the blood squirting out. jeezus

That makes me think of this

From the artist's site:
"Blood Scarf depicts a scarf knit out of clear vinyl tubing. An intravenous device emerging out of the user's hand fills the scarf with blood. The implied narrative is a paradoxical one in which the device keeps the user warm with their blood while at the same time draining their blood drip by drip."

Which, btw, is Laura Splan, a contemporary artist who is quite interesting. http://www.laurasplan.com/

« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2008, 23:42 by Emaline »
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #66 on: 18 Apr 2008, 08:38 »

My favorite contemporary artist is Annie Leibovitz. I am a tooootal photography nerd. I know she's a fashion photographer, but damn, if I don't think she's great.

The stuff by Do-Ho Suh is amazing, though. Anything that can use toy soldiers that creatively gets my vote.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2008, 08:50 by laizeohbeets »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #67 on: 18 Apr 2008, 09:28 »

And obviously we can't decide for ourselves whether to take risks or not.

That's not really what I meant. When I was typing that, I was thinking, "What if she died while doing this?" If she had, it could have been one of several things, but the two that would have been most likely IMO are either 1) no one would have heard about it outside of the area or 2) the media would have even MORE to say about what she was doing. I think it could also rendered the piece meaningless, which is something that she didn't seem to think or care about. I guess if she or anyone doesn't care about health the way I do, this changes things, but personally I regard health highly. I also want people to understand what I'm getting at with my own art and I can't do that if I haven't explained it properly or if I died before I could get it to a point where my art could explain itself.

But we've moved on, so I'm not going to complain about it anymore.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #68 on: 18 Apr 2008, 12:39 »

From the artist's site:
"Blood Scarf depicts a scarf knit out of clear vinyl tubing. An intravenous device emerging out of the user's hand fills the scarf with blood. The implied narrative is a paradoxical one in which the device keeps the user warm with their blood while at the same time draining their blood drip by drip."

That's really cool, actually. Brilliant concept.

- Napoleon

muteKi

« Reply #69 on: 18 Apr 2008, 14:45 »

Alex Feodorov has pretty impressive stuff.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #70 on: 18 Apr 2008, 15:25 »

That's really cool, actually. Brilliant concept.

Check out her site, she has pretty great concepts for everything she does.  It's just really neat.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up