THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 06:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ian Mackaye Interview  (Read 2109 times)

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
Ian Mackaye Interview
« on: 13 Apr 2008, 14:45 »

Yes, I talked with Ian for over a half an hour  (sorry for using megaupload. Mediafire has been giving me troubles.)

It was a pretty awesome experience. As you can hear, for the first half, my only response was mostly "yeah," because I was kind of unable to believe that I was sitting there in the kitchen of the dischord house, eating with Ian Mackaye. And when he asked me what I play in my band, I just mumbled "I'm a drummer," even though the drums are probably the instrument I'm least latented on. But in the split second I was mulling over how to answer, piano sounded lame and singer/guitar sounded cliche.  So I come across as kind of retarded. My voice...also doesn't normally sound that odd.

At one point, which you hear on there, he got up from the table and brought me over the window to show me the formation of fighter pilots that came low over the house, heading to a flyover of Arlington for a burial ceremony.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
Re: Ian Mackaye Interview
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2008, 14:57 »

Dude, thank you for posting this! I'm downloading it right now.

Also, just a random question: Do you live in the DC area?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2008, 15:01 »

Nah. I was out there for a little over a week for my AP Gov class program, Washington Seminar where we pick a topic and spend the year researching it, culminating in a travel to DC where we basically are on our own, setting up interviews with people who are involved in it.

I actually did two topics: U.S - Turkish relations, and Media Censorship, hence the interview with Ian.

I'm planning on transferring to Georgetown in a year or two, though. The college I'm going to next year is mostly a jump-off point, as far as I'm concerned.

Hope you guys enjoy it, anyway!
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

the Goat

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Murder is my hobby
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2008, 10:13 »

The highlight of my otherwise miserable summer living in DC was seeing Ian MacKaye with (I think) Amy Farina in Adams Morgan. I didn't say anything, and he walked by before I relized who he was, but I almost had a heart attack.

I used to think that I didn't get star-struck, but I guess not, because the same thing happened when I most to Baltimore and had dinner next to TV on the Radio and brunch the following morning across from Asa Osbourne of Lungfish. Both times, no words exchanged, just nervous looks and giggles.

Very smooth.
The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

Red Peril

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2008, 11:03 »

I'm just glad to hear anything from MacKaye full stop, I've been a Fugazi/Minor Threat fan since the age of ten but I haven't heard anything from him, Lally, Canty or Picciotto for years. The highlight of my (musical) life was seeing Fugazi on their last ever UK tour, which was an incredible stroke of luck considering it was one of the first I ever went to.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2008, 13:25 »

Didn't Joe Lally have another album out just last year?  When was the last Evens record? 2004? I know Ian and Amy did some pretty heavy touring last year, it's a shame they skipped the UK. The last I heard, Guy was "contemplating" his next project (outside of producing), but this was late 06/early 07. I have no idea what Brendan's up to these days.

Basically, those guys are all probably still active, you're just not keeping your ears open wide enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up