THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 19:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: In two weeks I'll be homeless it looks like.  (Read 14104 times)

Coreh

• Obscure cultural reference
In two weeks I'll be homeless it looks like.
« on: 14 Apr 2008, 03:30 »

I finally broke down and told my mom that I can't live here anymore. That it's driving me crazy and I have to get out.

She told me to go away.

So I went to my room, and was listening to some music when she called my phone.

"We'll work something out."

So I go back to listening to my music. She calls me about an hour later and asks me to come walk her to my car so she can go to work. I get up and go walk her out.

"We'll work something out. I don't have any money to give you now, but in two weeks I'll be able to give you gas money to get back up there (Monroe, which is where I want to be). But all you'll have is a tank of gas. I can't give you any money to go up there with."

I'm taking this opportunity.

But it looks like I'm going to be homeless.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
Re: In two weeks I'll be homeless it looks like.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2008, 03:33 »

Surely that's a really terrible idea? I mean I'm all for adventure and excitement and really wild things but leaving home with no money, no prospects and a full tank of gas doesn't really sound like it will end happily. Surely you'd be better off trying to scrounge up some money or something so that you can have a bit more to live off of.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

hrivero

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2008, 03:34 »

That sucks.

I can relate.

Although it's been years, I can relate.

I can ALWAYS come up with the money to do what I want to do though. Usually through less than socially acceptable means, however.

But anyway.

That sucks.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2008, 03:36 »

Why can't you live where you're at anymore? What's driving you crazy?

Coreh

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2008, 03:41 »

I can't get a job.
My dad is becoming more and more agitated with me, so he yells at me and belittles me every day.
All my friends are gone.
I have nobody to talk to about any of my problems.
I sleep all day because I don't have a reason to get up.
And i stay up all night because it's the only time my dad isn't around.
that's what's driving me crazy

hrivero

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2008, 03:52 »

Why can't you get a job, exactly?

Life sucks sometimes, and sometimes it seems like you can't achieve anything or get a break to get your life moving, but honestly, there is ALWAYS a way.

ALWAYS.

Coreh

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2008, 04:02 »

can't get a job because i live in a tiny town where nobody is hiring anybody.
this is a terrible idea, but i am down with it
there are a lot of maybes that greatly improve the situation
i may be able to crash on some couches every once in a while
i'm gonna look for a job as soon as i get there
i also MIGHT be able to move in with some friends, but that's a big might there.

hrivero

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2008, 04:05 »

As someone who let maybes start a chain reaction that currently have me being a single mother, fulltime student, and full time employee, I must advise you reconsider.

Maybes will always seem to improve the situation.

But they don't.

They really don't.

If there is one thing I've learned, it's to plan ahead and leave just a bit of wiggle room for a change of plans.

öde

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2008, 05:32 »

Sounds great apart from the homeless bit. Being homeless is really no fun.

If you do go, make sure you can get back.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2008, 06:07 »

it is really, really hard to get a job if you don't have a permanent address or phone number you can be contacted at.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

sean

• welp
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2008, 06:16 »

Dude, you have my condolences, your situation really sucks.

But I'm afraid I have to agree with Tommy and Jimmy. Leaving home with just a full tank of gas is a terrible idea. You really should try to scrounge up a little money in those two weeks if it is possible, even though it sounds like it isn't. Best of luck dude.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2008, 06:36 »

Yeah, I've got to concur with everyone else. Don't leave with NOTHING. If possible, get some basic handy-man jobs --little old ladies always need help fixing something (and you really don't need to have a bachelors in engineering to fix a squeaky door), or (if it's that time of year where you live) mow a few lawns. If nothing else, there's always a pawn shop. Try to at least get a couple hundred bucks together before you go.

You should find a way to fill out some applications NOW before you go there (a lot of places have applications you can fill out online now), so you've got some prospects lined up for when you do go.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2008, 06:38 »

Your dad might argue with you and belittle you everyday, sure. But it's a better idea to put up with it until you can save enough money to support yourself for a while until you can find a good paying job and a place to stay. As similar and stressful as my home situation is, it'd be a really bad idea for me to try move out at this stage.

There's for more scenarios that end unpleasantly than pleasantly for you in this situation, unfortunately. When you run out of money and can't get a job, and return home, your father will probably ridicule you about it to the extent that you'll wish you hadn't left in the first place. Frankly, I consider this the best case scenario likely to happen. Others include you dying or not being able to move back in.

Hang in there.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2008, 07:35 »

Man, I know your situation sucks and all, but you will not be any happier without a home. Yeah, you can crash on people's couches, but this puts a strain on friendships. I've known a few people who were actually kicked out and not allowed to return end up like this and they always had problems because of it.

What you should do is start applying for jobs up there NOW (get your friends to help out and tell you places that are hiring as well as looking online), do what PQ suggested and try to get handy jobs around the area and sell a LOT of your stuff that you don't really need, and look for really cheap places to live. Ask some of your friends if they'd even be willing to move when their lease is up or whatever and find a place with you. I don't know how you can do all of this in two weeks, but it's a hell of a lot better than just going with a tank of gas.

But honestly, I think the best thing you should do is find a job somewhere within driving distance. I forget where you live, but if you can find a job within an hour's drive radius, get it, or pester the hell out of the people in your town. Then you should save up enough money to afford rent for a few months and THEN move. Also have a job lined up for you when you get there. I know it would suck staying at home, but I think you just need to get out of the house and find something to do to help you avoid your dad.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Evander

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://evander.joethecat.com
« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2008, 08:36 »

It is a mistake.

Seriously, make yourself a chart of all the pros and cons on both sides.

As a twenty-something who is currently living at home with a belittling mother, I understand what you're going through, but you are throwing away the one thing you have going (rent-free living).

Suck it up and ignore your father.  Unless he is physically attacking you, or something, you can just shut off your ears, and wait for him to pass.  Having to do that once in a while is MUCH better than being homeless.  I know it's easier said than done, but it if you care enough to be homeless, I'm sure you care enough to force yourself to ignore him.

Work as hard as you can on finding a job.  Find any way possible to make money, and then save it up, so that you can actually move out, and in to some other place.  Alternatively, look in to joing the peace corps, or army, or something like that, where it will get your out of your house for a period of time WITHOUT making you homeless.  Use that time to plan for how you intend to move on with your life when you get back.

Don't throw your life away, though.  Becoming homeless out of frustration just isn't a good idea.
Make flame love, not flame war.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2008, 08:45 »

That's a situation I can relate to.  But please note that during that time I was 24 year old male and I was pretty desperate.

In 2003 I got fed up with my situation living with my parents.  I couldn't get a job because nobody would hire a person with education.  All the jobs around went to people who had kids who wouldn't be moving any time soon.l  I had to lie on my resume to get a job later on in the same area.  I got fed up because my parents seemed to think I was lazy even though I was busting my ass trying to get a job.

I ended up going back to my college town and living in my car for a week.  I parked in a public parking space after making sure that the local police didn't ticket cars parked there overnight.  I slept in the trunk of the car with the back seat open so I could kind of strech out.  I ended up living with a friend for about another week while I looked for a job.  I went to the Workplace employment office and the local public library so I could use Internet access and the fax.

I was in a bad situation.  But I did have a bit of money saved up.  So at least I could buy food and stuff.  And I had somewhat of a plan.  AND I had a cell phone!  Which is HUGE.  You NEED a phone to get a job.

I ended up getting a marketting job for $10 an hour.  Hawking home improvements wasn't all that fun but it was money.  I ended up living with my brother after that and I had to pay rent.

After that I went to grad school and to save money I went back to lived with my parents AGAIN.

Now I have my apartment and job and everything is pretty much OK.

Situations like that suck.  When you are in a rural area the jobs you can get are basically based on who you know.

Sometimes you have to deal with the situation as is and make the best of it.

But sometimes you have to make a dramatic change to get stuff rolling.  It did work for me.  But I DID have to go back to my parents for a bit while I lined up my current job.  So don't burn any bridges.

Never go anywhere without alittle money though.  And I knew that I would be near Rochester and I would stand a good chance of getting employeed somewhere.

This kind of thing happens alot.  My parents just didn't seem to understand why nobody in our rural area would hire me.  And due to the economy today I am sure that this sort of thing will happen more and more.  You are not the only person this has happened to.  Try to stay strong and keep on striving for better days.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2008, 08:47 by Caleb »

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2008, 08:45 »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but running away from home with no money and no plan is how prostitutes often get their start. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you need to be realistic here.

As for what I think you should do, refer to Linds' post.

it is really, really hard to get a job if you don't have a permanent address or phone number you can be contacted at.

This is what cell phones and post office boxes are for. I speak from experience. Still requires money though, and coreh is contemplating running away from home without any of that either.

ADDITION: I just realized it kinda sounds like I'm suggesting becoming a prostitute. I am not suggesting that at all; I'm saying prostitution is the unpleasant but frequent outcome of the situation you are contemplating.

Also, in case you did not know this or do not remember, a couple years ago I was homeless and jobless for a brief period (about two months) following grad school. I absolutely refused to move back in with my mom, so I spent that time crashing on friends' couches. This might make you think I am being a hypocrite by denouncing your decision, but while I didn't have a home or job, I did have a bunch of money saved up. This made a huge difference; for starters, it's basically impossible to get an apartment unless you have a pile of money up-front for the security deposit.

Note that Linds' plan outline, which I agree with, does involve moving out eventually, but only after you've saved up a bunch of money first.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2008, 09:18 by jhocking »

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2008, 08:59 »

Don't worry Joe, I covered the joys of being a rent boy in our Gabbly conversation.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

benji

« Reply #18 on: 14 Apr 2008, 09:10 »

I once moved across country with no job lined up, but I had a place to stay when I got there and a plan for moving in to a permanent living situation within a few weeks. Still, being unemployed and in a temporary living situation can be really stressful.

If you really need to do this, what you need to do first is call the people who will let you crash/move in and ask flat out. Offer to pay rent. I know you don't have any money right now, but making a rent agreement or offering to help out with the money will reduce the strain on your friendship because it will mean that you're not just living off of hospitality; you're actually helping out. If you really don't have the cash to do that, think of things you can offer in trade. Usually, services are the best in that situation, but you've actually got to do it. If you say "In exchange for letting me crash on your couch, I will cook dinner 5 nights a week, walk your dog, and renegotiate for sharing rent the second I get a job," you better be prepared to do all of those things.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Evander

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://evander.joethecat.com
« Reply #19 on: 14 Apr 2008, 09:11 »

Also, consider how reliable a particular friend is before assuming you will be crashingon their couch.  I have some friends whom, if they offered me their couch, that is as good as a legal contract.  I have others who, while good friends for other reasons, simply aren't reliable enough to depend on.
Make flame love, not flame war.

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #20 on: 14 Apr 2008, 11:24 »

Instead of moving out, perhaps just taking a trip for a few weeks will give you and your folks enough space to make living together bearable again.  It would be much easier to find friends who'll let you crash with them for a few days as opposed to indefinitely, and you can bounce around and hang out with a bunch of people, and even see if you can find a job somewhere.  Then once you get back and it's still hell, you could move out for real, but with a plan.  Don't burn your bridges, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #21 on: 14 Apr 2008, 14:14 »

I'm probably going to just be repeating what's already been said, but this doesn't sound like it's going to be easy. My parents split up last year and my mum moved a hundred miles away, so when my dad kicked me out just before my major exams I needed to find somewhere quickly. I had friends who took me in and kept me for three months or so and my mum sent money and saw me etc but it was still really hard, really awkward staying in a house that wasn't mine and trying not to get in the way of other people.

I can sympathise with the job situation too, there is nothing here either. The advice that I'm hypocritically failing to take myself is to put applications and CVs in absolutely everywhere, whether they're hiring or not, and just keep pushing until someone gives up and hires you to stop you pestering them. That'll have the dual benefit of taking you out of the house and also giving you an income which will help you move out.

Someone told me that sometimes, if you work for a big company and move they will do their best to relocate you in the same job in the new town. So if it's possible to stick around for say two months, find a job where you are and then transfer, with the job, to somewhere new, then that'd be a great idea. Good luck whatever you decide.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #22 on: 14 Apr 2008, 14:30 »

Running away / moving out doesn't solve anything. You wind up dragging yourself back, broke and even more subservient to your parents than before, because you have no place else to go and nothing else to do.

Not able to get a job? My sympathies, neither can I. The economy's in recession right now, and there's a lack of jobs. Unemployment has continued to rise in the last few months, and even part-time jobs are lacking. Most places aren't hiring; in fact, a lot of places around the country are downsizing right now. So you're not in that boat alone. I don't mean for that to sound harsh, but don't think you're in special circumstances there.

You might have mentioned it, but this topic was a bit tl;dr---how old are you, again?

Also, I fully accept that I will someday be homeless and living in a cardboard box by the side of I-90. The only thing I ask is that I look half as cool as this guy
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #23 on: 14 Apr 2008, 15:48 »

A wise man once said "Anyone can't find a job ain't looking hard enough." You'll find something, but I wouldn't recommend leaving until you do. As long as it doesn't matter much to you what kind of job it is, something will come up. Good luck, dude.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #24 on: 14 Apr 2008, 15:50 »

Cory, my dear, it would probably be a better idea if you can check off most things on this list:

-You are an experienced outdoorsman.
   *You are good at starting fires.
   *You are good at cooking over open flames.
   *You can sleep on the ground (or a bench or whatever is handy) pretty well.
   *You are ok with shitting outside and you know where to do it and how to bury it or whatever.
   *You can get some sort of shelter, or make some.
   *You know how to keep critters out of your stuff.
   *You know what sorts of things you could find to eat in, say, a park in case you have no money for food.
-You could live out of your car.
-You can park your car somewhere it won't get towed from once it runs out of gas or you are living out of it.
-You have some way of acquiring medicine and warm, dry shelter in case you get sick, or are superman and thus do not get sick ever.
-You have marketable skills, or are an attractive candidate for physical labour and heavy lifting.
-You can get another tank of gas for your car sometime soon.
-You have a backup plan and some reliable friends.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #25 on: 14 Apr 2008, 15:52 »

Dude Robbie that is not true. I have applied at Wal-Mart. I have applied at Waffle House. I have applied at fucking MacDonald's. No one is hiring. There is nothing I can do about that. The economy is shitty and the local market is saturated with part-time student labour, which is exactly what I would be, so no one wants any more.

I would say I have done pretty much everything in my power to get a job.

Wait, no, I lied. I haven't blown any hiring managers yet. And I guess I could always be a prostitute and get me some STIs. You're right. I'm definitely not trying hard enough.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #26 on: 14 Apr 2008, 18:01 »

Exactly. Not trying hard enough.

I could be way wrong, I guess. I've never really had a problem getting a crappy job if I need one, but the job market in Oklahoma is almost certainly different than other places. I was mainly trying to stay positive and be supportive, but maybe being more realistic is better? I don't know.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2008, 21:38 »

I once moved 11 hours* away from home to a place where I knew exactly one person. I don't drive, and I didn't have a job lined up, but I had a place to stay, albeit a couch of a virtual stranger. I also had at least $200 in my bank account.

Within a week or so, I found a horrible horrible $6.00/hr job, making hot dogs for drunk frat boys at 2:00am. I got followed home twice. I barely made enough money to pay my tiny amount of rent. My roommate and I argued a lot(but I mean, come on. We met the day I moved in). I was beyond depressed. It was an over all shitty period of my life. I did some things I regret**. I treated some people pretty poorly. I became a really terrible person. Eventually, things got so shitty between my roommate and I that he asked me to leave.

However, it was a pretty great experience, and I kinda wish I had the balls to do something like that again. It makes for some pretty interesting conversation.

*by bus
**Not prostitution, Joe Hocking.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #28 on: 14 Apr 2008, 21:46 »

Doesn't Oklahoma have one of the higher poverty rates in the nation? I was under the distinct impression that it's basically a really low cost of living index that keeps the state from imjploding upon itself.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2008, 21:48 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #29 on: 14 Apr 2008, 22:13 »

Well, you might be a little surprised. Certainly Oklahoma isn't as well off as some states, but the economy here is actually growing. With all the energy (natural gas and oil) in the state, and the growing number of Fortune 500 companies making their headquarters here, there is a lot of good stuff going on. Granted, it's mostly in the cities, and the people in the more rural areas are probably not as well off, it's really not as bad off here as a lot of people might expect. Here: http://www.nemw.org/poverty.htm - this shows the poverty rates by state. Oklahoma isn't anywhere are well off as the coastal states, but it's doing way better than a lot of other states. Mind you, I'm no economist, so I might be looking at this all wrong, but especially in the suburbs where I live (north Oklahoma City) there's very little poverty.

Negatives: There is no public transportation here, and everything is real spread out, which means you have to drive if you want to get anywhere. Also, Oklahoma has a tendency to be overlooked by a lot of other people, and most of the press we get is in relation to college football or Sally Kern...  :|

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #30 on: 14 Apr 2008, 22:32 »

http://wwoof.org/

I've heard good things.  I intend to give it a shot this fall.  You might want to look into it.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #31 on: 14 Apr 2008, 22:54 »

Coreh, I;ve been in the same situation, so trust me when I say that it's best if you plan ahead. I did the same thing you're thinkig about when I was 19, and wound up homeless for a month and a half. Dumpster Diving and living in a Waffle House sounds fun in thoery (OK, not really). SOMEONE is always hiring. I'm a server right now, and I hate everye second of it, but its more or less an easy job and you can always find someone hiring for it, especially if you have experience. If nothing else, McDonalds is ALWAYS hiring.

Failing that, if you happen to wind up in the greater Atlanta, greater Nashville, or West Central Ohio areas, I can point you in the direction of a decent job + cheapish rent (>$500/month).
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #32 on: 14 Apr 2008, 23:02 »

Call me an ignorant Australian, but can't you go on the dole?

This is what people over here do in your situation.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2008, 23:14 by KickThatBathProf »
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #34 on: 14 Apr 2008, 23:14 »

It's an aussie thing.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #35 on: 15 Apr 2008, 00:20 »

I can't get a job.
My dad is becoming more and more agitated with me, so he yells at me and belittles me every day.
All my friends are gone.
I have nobody to talk to about any of my problems.
I sleep all day because I don't have a reason to get up.
And i stay up all night because it's the only time my dad isn't around.
that's what's driving me crazy

Am I the only one who looks at this and thinks possible clinical depression, I mean sure you have a right to be depressed with no friends and your father on your back, but even then "I have no reason to get up" sounds like clinical depression to me.

My advice, first talk it out with your mum from the sound of it she seems to be at least a bit on your side, and see if she can't talk your dad into giving you a break, (this may not be a viable option but I don't know the details of your case) secondly get to a doctor, and explain your situation incase what you're feeling is more than major a case of the sads, cos if it is, nothing you do will help you.

Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
« Reply #36 on: 15 Apr 2008, 01:03 »

Axerton, I can see what you're trying to say but I disagree a great deal with your conclusions.

From the description I've seen on this thread, Cory is in a VERY high-risk situation for depression.  Without social support, employment, or a normal sleeping schedule, the likelihood of an accurate "clinical depression" diagnosis, as defined by current psychiatric standards, goes WAY up.  Cory probably does fit the diagnosis as of now, in fact.  So I can see what you're saying.

But a few things tell me that the psychiatric/medical approach to this sort of thing is absolutely the wrong way to go about it.  Basically, it sounds to me as if, without those positive factors in place (friends, social life, daily routine, job), any attempts at therapy or trying to solve the problem from the "inside out" so to speak will simply inevitably fail.  Therapy does nothing if a person's life doesn't actually improve any, and so much of the poor quality of life that Cory seems to be experiencing is directly due to external factors that won't at all be solved with a doctor's visit.  If there really is something that could be genuinely marked a "mental disorder" and it is playing a causal role in his life, as opposed to being the unfortunate result of otherwise uncontrollable circumstances, it still won't get solved without the help of a social support network and a job.  Simply put, the number one priority here is improving quality of day-to-day life, and that will be accomplished with positive social relationships, a healthy sleep schedule, and a living wage or equivalent thereof.  After that, maybe Cory, if he so desires, can look into psychological treatment ... but I get a feeling from his posts that the positive lift that he'd gain from changing his lifestyle in that way would be more than enough to quell many of the symptoms that could or would qualify him for a clinical-depression diagnosis.

Cory, there are a lot of resources out there that you can use to find ways to live without a permanent address.  The link I posted earlier is to an organization that allows people to exchange manual labor on organic farms for room and board ... if you can pay for the cost of travel to the farm, you should be able to manage an arrangement that keeps you fed, clothed, and sheltered, and hopefully provides you with a community of people to work with.  I have friends who have done this sort of thing before and had a great time (I have one in Hawaii right now and I'm planning on heading out this fall to join or replace him), so I can't give you a wholehearted personal recommendation but I can say that it sounds like a pretty good bet all things considered (at least, if you don't mind working on a farm).  It sounds to me like you really need a serious change in setting, so from what little I understand of the situation I think you could absolutely benefit from leaving home.

Someone made a really good point earlier about not burning your bridges, though.  I agree with that ... as much as your life where you are now sucks, you could put yourself in way worse situations elsewhere in the world, so it would be a huge mistake to completely rule out the option of returning home should you find yourself in an intractable situation.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #37 on: 15 Apr 2008, 04:10 »

onewheelwizzard's right about the extreme unlikelihood of the medical profession being able to do much of anything for someone in your situation. Therapy can help you with the kind of mental processes that cause you to end up in bad situations and prevent you getting out of them, it won't make you feel much better about a fucked up situation like yours. I agree about the WWOOF organisation being worth a look too, I know a lot of people who've done it often on very little money and had an excellent time. Also, are there any squatting networks that might be able to help out either where you are or where you're going? I'm not sure what it's like in the US but if I was in your situation in the UK I'd be looking to move into an existing squat or try and find some people to set one up with.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #38 on: 15 Apr 2008, 07:21 »

The link I posted earlier is to an organization that allows people to exchange manual labor on organic farms for room and board ... if you can pay for the cost of travel to the farm, you should be able to manage an arrangement that keeps you fed, clothed, and sheltered, and hopefully provides you with a community of people to work with.

I didn't know about this kind of thing, it does sound like a good option for cory if he is dead-set on leaving home immediately.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2008, 07:30 by jhocking »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #39 on: 15 Apr 2008, 07:32 »

Man, Tommy must have really gotten to you, Joe.

I've heard of those farms before! I don't know anyone who's done it, but it sounds like a good idea.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #40 on: 15 Apr 2008, 07:35 »

Man, Tommy must have really gotten to you, Joe.

I'm pretty sure tommy is responsible for my current stomach ache.

clockworkjames

• Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #41 on: 15 Apr 2008, 08:08 »

Getting kicked out was the best thing that ever happened to me.

But I kinda had money from a job and only moved like, 50 miles away... so...
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #42 on: 15 Apr 2008, 08:25 »

Mind you, I'm no economist, so I might be looking at this all wrong, but especially in the suburbs where I live (north Oklahoma City) there's very little poverty.

Eh, yeah, I looked into it after I posted and Oklahoma's an ultimate "mixed bag" state. On the upside, the big cities are doing fine which is great for the 60% of the population that lives there. It's the people already settled and invested in rural areas that are boned.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #43 on: 15 Apr 2008, 09:04 »

I disagree with your assertion that therapy can't help this person with their situation. The conventional image of therapy is sitting down with someone and talking about "how you feel." And there are plenty of so-called therpists who do that, but that's not the way therapy should be carried out, and more and more therapists are realizing that.

A lot of it depends on the therapist you get. If they're passive and you're just a paycheck to them, of course it's going to be worthless. But if they're actively engaged in giving you back your power to let you get back in control of your life, it can do unlimited good. A good therapist will not just sit in an office talking with you, but will take you to get something to eat during the hour. A good therpist will drag your parents into a session and force them to listen to you, and the parents will oftentimes heed the words of that therapist.

So, no, there aren't enough "good" therpists around today. But if this guy can find one, who's not just a therapist, but a support system and, yes, a friend--and they're out there-- it could change his entire situation and give him the internal change, the things he needs to meet different people and be adamant enough to find a job, no matter how menial. Speaking of which, the key is polite persistance - when you send an app in, keep calling the place periodically, expressing desire and enthusiasm for working there. Don't just hand it in and wait for them to contact you.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #44 on: 15 Apr 2008, 09:22 »

Why does telling people on an internet forum they need therapy not seem like a good idea?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #45 on: 15 Apr 2008, 09:32 »

Yeah, it doesn't seem too helpful. Also, although therapists like the kind RedLion describes probably do exist nobody I know has ever come across one. And frankly, they sound terrible. If a therapist is acting like your friend then why not talk to a friend instead (there's actually a fair bit of evidence that this is as good as if not better than psychoanalytic therapy)? I definitely wouldn't want one who'd intervene in my private life to the extent of making people come to session, or take me out for food and act like we were mates. The person described there is acting more like a support worker, which can be great but it's not the same thing as therapy.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #46 on: 15 Apr 2008, 11:38 »

How far will a tank of gas bring you?

http://freegan.info/

If a full tank of gas can get you to a big city. (I mean New York City Big)
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
« Reply #47 on: 15 Apr 2008, 11:52 »

RedLion, telling Cory to go to a therapist before taking it upon himself to change his life basically sounds to me like saying "It seems like you've proven that you're incapable of taking charge of your life and changing it better, so you should get someone to do that for you" ... when the entire thread started with Cory explaining HOW he planned on taking charge of his life and changing it for the better, namely by escaping his shitty life situation by any means necessary.

I know therapy can help a lot.  But improving quality of life means improving external factors as well as internal attitudes, and it sounds to me like a lot of the external factors that Cory is facing are working too closely in tandem for them to be eliminated one at a time.  Getting a job isn't going to help if he still doesn't have friends.  Patching things up with his parents and creating a more tolerable family life isn't going to do a whole lot if he's still uncomfortable talking to them about his problems.  A therapist can help with these things, one at a time or sometimes (if they're REALLY good) all at once, but at the end of the day it's just a stopgap solution.  The entire problem with Cory's quality of life right now (as far as I can see) is that there simply isn't anything engaging and pleasing and interesting around him.  He could work to pass time and make money but he'd probably hate the job because it was still a stupid drone task in the same old fucking town.  He could start going out with new people and hanging out and having a social life but he'd probably feel supremely unfulfilled because it would only be because there was nothing better to do, and it wouldn't make coming back home any easier in any case.  He could patch things up with his parents but that wouldn't make his town any more fun.

No, I really think travel is a good idea.  It's empowering (which is like therapy in and of itself) and it basically erases almost all the external factors bringing Cory down in one fell swoop (especially if he travels to a place where there is already a living arrangement and employment or quasi-employment set up, like on a WWOOF farm ... you'll need to contact them in advance so it's not an immediate fix but it's definitely not out of the question).  It's definitely not guaranteed to be a cure-all, but it'll address more of the problems facing him at once than any other option.

I wouldn't actively recommend living a homeless/traveling lifestyle if I didn't know so many people who have done it or are doing it so successfully.  Even then I'm wary of that sort of thing.  But it's a much more viable option than most people tend to think, as long as you have an idea of how to do it.

benji

« Reply #48 on: 15 Apr 2008, 12:37 »

I've known people who have done WWOOF before, and they've said it was a great experience for the most part. From what I hear, they work you hard. Probably harder then you've worked in a long time. But in the end it's a great experience.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #49 on: 15 Apr 2008, 13:12 »

hm now there's a problem, the whole matter of the experience ending. I mean, if you're working hard all the time on a farm, that means you're gonna be right back at square one when you are gonna leave.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up