THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: In two weeks I'll be homeless it looks like.  (Read 13910 times)

Aminal

Re: In two weeks I'll be homeless it looks like.
« Reply #50 on: 15 Apr 2008, 13:44 »

Well, while they work you hard, they don't work you constantly.  A lot of places only farm in the morning, and some only 3 days a week.  The rest of your time is yours, and you've got a place to sleep at night.  Ideally you'd look for a job in your spare time as your term came to a close.

And he wouldn't be back at square one; he would have the invaluable assets of self-confidence, muscles, and quite possibly a tan!

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #51 on: 15 Apr 2008, 13:46 »

I imagine he also could get some interviews out of it. I've been called in for interviews before for no other reason then there are some unusual things on my resume and people want to ask.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #52 on: 15 Apr 2008, 13:50 »

Well mostly I meant "square one" in money terms. As in, he'd still have no place to live, and no money to pay the security deposit on an apartment.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #53 on: 15 Apr 2008, 15:54 »

He'd have more skills and contacts to help him get a job, though. And also, given that they typically ask for you to work 4-6 hours a day with at least one day of the week off, he might be able to get a small paying job while doing WWOOF without having to worry about food/lodging for as long as he needs to.

Coreh

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #54 on: 15 Apr 2008, 19:38 »

farming isn't really for me. but i do have an interview tomorrow at a restaurant.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #55 on: 16 Apr 2008, 04:14 »

Don't take this the wrong way, but unless you're deathly allergic to something contained on the farm, then farming is good idea for everybody.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #56 on: 16 Apr 2008, 06:32 »

If anyone has allergies like I do, then farming isn't such a good idea.

Coreh - Hooray for interviews! Good luck!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Bibliophile

• Emoticontraindication
  • <:3)~~
« Reply #57 on: 16 Apr 2008, 09:44 »

Good luck with your interview, Coreh! But, if all else fails, know you can always run away to Canada.* Now I am a manager!**

*Well, this is what I did, but it wouldn't neccessarily work for anyone else. I am crazy but lucky.
**It's worth noting that my job drives me nuts a lot of the time.
If television is a babysitter, the internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #58 on: 17 Apr 2008, 14:11 »

stuff about therapists

I can speak from personal experience on this, and honestly onewheelwizard is pretty much spot on. I have a great therapist now, and I appreciate her help a great deal, But even visiting her once a week didn't start helping until I managed to get myself a few social contacts and a job in this city. It was a little easier after I came home after withdrawing from the spring 07 semester, because mostly I like my family and since I moved out my sister and I have become pretty good friends, so I had a decent support system (unlike when I was 500 miles away in WV). But until I met some people locally, I wasn't really getting anything out of my therapy sessions.

Actually, that's not quite true, because when I started I was pretty fucking depressed and miserable, so I got a lot of knocks upside the head and "stop beating yourself up over things you can't fix or control"s, and those helped. But I mean my quality of life was not helped by the presence of a therapist in it until I got some other friend-types and stuff to do with myself other than sit at home all fucking day.

Also, bullshit. None of my therapists have ever taken me out for lunch.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #59 on: 17 Apr 2008, 15:49 »

Well of course a person needs some other kind of human contact and communication than just a therapist. That's not what I was saying at all.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #60 on: 18 Apr 2008, 15:26 »

Oh, and Cory, you may think farming might not be for you, but you could be surprised. I am going to imagine that they don't just hand you seed packets and a hoe and shovel and say "go grow stuff!", so they probably tell you how to do what you are supposed to be doing.

Take me and horses, for instance. I am not all that knowledgeable about horses, even though I like them and I work pretty well with them. But I am really good at doing what people tell me in terms of taking care of them or stable maintenance or whatever. That is how I learned how to drive three different kinds of tractors, you know. Plus, I can honestly say that barring the shit pay of having worked at a facility through a summer camp, it ended up being probably the best job I could ever have. Physical labour gives you an amazing feeling at the end of the day because you can see everything you've accomplished right there in front of you, and while your feet might hurt and your back might be stiff, it's a pretty excellent feeling.

Also RedLion I did not mean that the therapist is the only human contact. I had coworkers and internet friends and stuff. Cory clearly has contact with his family and the internet and stuff. But this is not good human contact, and that is what needs to be fixed before it can work.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #61 on: 18 Apr 2008, 18:21 »

I agree with Katie. You'd really be surprised as to how satisfying manual labor can be. Especially working that closely with nature, you really start to feel in touch with yourself.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #62 on: 18 Apr 2008, 18:41 »

I could go either way. I enjoy camping a great deal, and that certainly involves a great deal of manual labor. On the other hand, I absolutely loathe landscaping, and I'm guessing the work involved in farming is similar to that.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #63 on: 18 Apr 2008, 22:19 »

I guess it'd depend on the type of farming. Around here (non organic) it is all drivin' combines and shit. In Into the Wild, when McCandless is farming in South Dakota... that is exactly how it is. Here.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #64 on: 19 Apr 2008, 00:20 »

I am really curious what kind of manual labour camping takes apart from digging a hole to shit in.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #65 on: 19 Apr 2008, 00:38 »

Collecting firewood
setting up tents
drawing a complete blank on anything else

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #66 on: 19 Apr 2008, 01:07 »

Maybe those things seem like manual labour if your job involved absolutely no physical exertion whatsoever, but they are not really "Manual Labour" they are just collecting sticks and putting together a puzzle.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

muteKi

« Reply #67 on: 19 Apr 2008, 01:11 »

Sure, but what are ya gonna eat?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #68 on: 19 Apr 2008, 06:16 »

Maybe those things seem like manual labour if your job involved absolutely no physical exertion whatsoever, but they are not really "Manual Labour" they are just collecting sticks and putting together a puzzle.

On the one hand characterizing preparing and hauling wood as "collecting sticks" is just a tad off the mark (well when I go camping anyway; I know most weekend campers just buy piles of wood at a convenience store and drive it straight to the site,) plus my reference to "camping" was actually encompassing summers I've spent working at a camp (lots of building and hauling stuff, boats especially since I worked on the waterfront.)

On the other hand, this really just reinforces my point that I've done manual labor (the other activity I mentioned, landscaping) and no I don't like it. I'd certainly think twice about making my life dependent on working on a farm.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2008, 06:39 by jhocking »

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #69 on: 19 Apr 2008, 11:33 »

From what I've heard about the farm wher ethey give you shelter and food and clothing, it's can be really really awesome or really really shitty.  Basically if you dont do your  reasearch you can end up with not very much food at all, living in a tent, being treated lamely by assholes.  But I've also heard of having a room, awesome food, nice people and making up a great life experience.  It's just a situation that can pretty easily turn terrible.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up