THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 17:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Xbox 360  (Read 4284 times)

Jposh

• Balloon animal serial killer
Xbox 360
« on: 15 Mar 2008, 10:25 »

My stepdad just bought me and my brother an Xbox 360, and much to my dismay, I can't figure out how to open multiple campaigns, or play through one campaign with two people... The best I can figure is that I need Xbox Live, do I? I just wanna play multi-player Halo 3, and open two campaigns in Call of Duty, one for me, one for my brother...

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: Xbox 360
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2008, 11:37 »

for Cod4, your brother might have to go into the dashboard and create his own user account on the machine.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

Jposh

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2008, 12:29 »

How?

I know how to get to the dashboard, but I can't figure out where to make a new account....

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2008, 15:18 »

Log-out of the current profile by hitting X. "Create new account".
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2008, 16:37 »

You need a Live Gold account to play online multiplayer, but locally, you just need to make multiple accounts on the xbox and have everyone log into them.

Also, you can just turn on the second controller and hit the XBOX button to make a new account without logging out of the first one.

Also, you should hook up your XBOX to the internet if you haven't done so in order to get all the updates.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2008, 01:28 »

I'm getting pissed off at the amount of multiplayer games available on the 360. Heaps of them are online multiplayer but I don't want to play games with people in different time zones, I want to play with my mates when they come over.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2008, 11:55 »

Blame hardware limitations. This isn't a developer saying "fuck splitscreen!", it's the 360 unable to render two different screens at once.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2008, 03:26 »

Yeah. Also, there are FPS games that are social (like Halo3) and others that aren't so much. Plus, there are plenty of social local multiplayer games like Tetris Splash, Carcassone, Rez (hehe), Rock Band,  Guitar Hero, etc.

Evander

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://evander.joethecat.com
« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2008, 06:22 »

Blame hardware limitations. This isn't a developer saying "fuck splitscreen!", it's the 360 unable to render two different screens at once.

Huh?  I'd never heard this before.

So, for the games that DO have split-screen, how does the 360 do it, then?
Make flame love, not flame war.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2008, 12:01 »

It's usually dependent on map structure and the graphics engine the developer uses. Big, open-world games like GTA IV wouldn't work as a split-screen venture because stuff is constantly being streamed to the user in a proximity basis, and trying to do that two times at once is beyond the scope of most current hardware. {GTA:SA had limited co-op that essentially tied a rope between characters 1 and 2}

Games with small maps, like Gears of War, are okay because the maps are small enough that streaming content isn't an issue: everything is loaded up during a loading screen, including textures and geography.

Evander

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2008, 13:20 »

So the issue isn't with the system, it's with the code itself and the developers?

Because you made it sound like it was a special problem for the 360, as though it wouldn't also exist on other systems.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2008, 15:56 »

I didn't meant to imply this was a format-specific issue, although I'd be reasonably sure that the PS3 could handle it better if a developer came along and utilized the Cell system right.

Essentially, yes, it's the scope of a game, and to a lesser extent fancy techniques the devs throw in like HDR.

muteKi

« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2008, 13:02 »

Depends on the resolution.

Evander

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2008, 07:18 »

Give me the option is all I ask.

Yes, it sure is neat that we can play game over the wubs, but I ALSO like to play sitting on the same couch sometimes.  It should not require a purchase of a second Xbox in order for two people to play a game together under the same roof.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2008, 09:10 »

I like splitscreens actually. When playing Gears of War with my brother I only have a couple of tactics to find him if he isn't directly observable. 1) Try to figure out a rough location based on the trajectory of his shots and this only works if he is indeed shooting at me, 2) Fire wildly into several directions and see if I "notice" anything out of the corner of my eye on his screen, 3) Look. The other two are much easier.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat
Pages: [1]   Go Up