THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phantasy star IV: The end of the millenium  (Read 2865 times)

Manix

• Balloon animal serial killer
Phantasy star IV: The end of the millenium
« on: 12 Apr 2008, 11:36 »

I've wanted to play this game for years. I had a Genesis back in the day, but the only way I ever got new videogames was through my parents at Birthdays and Christmas, and we didn't have THAT much money back then, plus this game was like, 100 dollars. So it's only recently that i've gotten my chance to play it.

Awhile ago I finally broke down and bought a PSP, along with three games, one of which was the Sega Genesis collection, which included this game. I'm surprised really, this game stands up really well after all these years! I coul dbarely tell I was playing an RPG from the 80's.

I would really love to see a full on remake of the game. But what about you guys? do any of you remember this old game? Also, would anyone else like to see a true new Phantasy Star game? Not just another online thing.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: Phantasy star IV: The end of the millenium
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2008, 13:34 »

It's from the 90s.

95 for the US, actually, during the golden age of console RPGs. It's hardly surprising it's good. But, yeah, it's a pretty good game. I never enjoyed it quite as much as Final Fantasy 6, though, because it felt...slow to me or something.

It's be nice if Sega made a new actual Phantasy Star but, let's face it, Sega blows now. Terribly.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2008, 14:34 »

It's good, but honestly I feel that it's a bit idealized by Sega fans who missed out on all the kickass RPGs on the SNES. The plot was pretty skeletal, all things considered, and it wasn't helped by the awful translation. The only RPGs that I can think of with worse translations than PS4 are the first two Suikodens.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2008, 09:37 »

I don't really think it's been idealized so much as assessed fairly-- rarely do you hear anyone argue that it was truly a better title than its contemporary Square offerings. Besides, out of its era it was really only a skeletal plot compared to FFVI and Crono Trigger, which is regrettable, but hardly a sin either, since those titles are true high watermarks for the genre. PSIV deserves to be remembered with fondness, even if it was a distant third at best. Besides, I liked the opening music.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2008, 12:31 »

Chrono Trigger, while great fun, gets way too much credit for its plot. Other than the time travel gimmick, it had a pretty standard plot. Silent protagonist meets princess, goes on adventure to save the world from all powerful, world destroying entity. Throw in childhood friend and anthropomorphic ally for mild spice. Honestly speaking, for all the grief it gets, Chrono Cross had a much more intricate and original plot. Trigger was great for its gameplay, not its storyline.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2008, 13:58 »

I dunno, I'd say Crono Trigger's whole was greater than the sum of its parts. The first confrontation with Magus, Azala's defeat, Crono's sacrifice, Frog's vengeance, Robo getting trashed, the trial plus young Magus and Schala... It adds up to a lot of memorable stuff relative to a lot of other titles. I really liked Chrono Cross, I just felt like there was a lot of fat that could have been cut.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2008, 14:01 »

I agree. Chrono Trigger may not be the most wholly original narrative, but it's told well enough that I don't think it really matters that much.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2008, 15:46 »

I'm not saying it's a bad plot, just that it's entirely vanilla. It's pretty much "been there, done that." I'd say it still passes as one of the best RPGs out there, but for the groundbreaking, at the time, gameplay, as opposed to the ultimately average plot.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor
« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2008, 07:08 »

I disagree on the vanilla, although I absolutely agree on the stereotypes.  There are plenty that it falls in to. 
But where I disagree is on the story.  Really, it's a terrific story and as said above is awesome because of the sum of it's parts.  Your not just time traveling, but your creating history as you do it.  It starts out with the lone sword wielding boy waking up, which is fine, but from there, he's not kicked out of his town then forced to redeem himself.  No no, he's basically doing Luca a favor because he knows that her career is over and he's lost a friend if he doesn't.  Not to mention, just doing it because it's the right thing to do.  None of that "Oh no, she's lost, what should I do?!" crap.  No, just picked up the amulet and went after her without a word of whining (I'm looking at you FFX)

Also, none of that, "I'm the village elder, A mist has taken over the land, you as the youngest least experienced child, must go defeat Cthulu, dark emporer with a crummy training sword.  Good luck!  Oh, and no discounts at the shops."  It's more like, "So, we've been time machine. Wanna see how the world is destroyed?  Okay, lets go.  Ohhhh, big monster, I thought it'd be global warming.  Want to stop it?  ....k"

End of Time
6 distinct time period, with 6 maps
Frog and others are extremely memorable
A superman-esque time machine
Your friends save you and keep freaking time from destroying itself by replacing you with a freaking clone!
Robo, you build a character, which wasn't normal back in the day
Pages: [1]   Go Up