THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Jul 2024, 01:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Game overthinker  (Read 6388 times)

muteKi

Game overthinker
« on: 14 Apr 2008, 22:42 »

Something to tide you over for the next 36 or so hours until the next update is likely to occur:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhzyOzItDnc

This guy has videos that don't review games so much as the pervasive gaming culture and I have to agree with pretty much everything he says.
(I need to go play many more Kirby games than I have.)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Game overthinker
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2008, 22:54 »

Meh, more Angry Nintendo Nerd than Yahtzee.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
Game overthinker
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2008, 22:55 »

He could stand to tone down the language, but he did have some good (if by now rather tired) insights.  I give it a 6 out of 10.  Worth watching, maybe sharing, but not for writing home about.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
Game overthinker
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2008, 23:10 »

Okay, from the kirby confession.

"And times like this are why I love the Wii's virtual console more than just about any other online-enabled gaming feature.  Yes I see you there XBox Live and Playstation Home; you're adequate, too, but, sorry, when it comes to reasons to hook a game console up to the web, trading homophobic slurs with a thirteen year old ritalin mule just can't hold a candle to mainlining pure, uncut happy into my eyeballs."

That line is made of win.

muteKi

Game overthinker
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2008, 23:20 »

^^

Most people I've seen seem to agree with you on your first post. His spiel is naturally hardly unique, but enjoyable.m that first
If he starts getting into less-touched topics (he seems to have only recently started and is mainly going on about the same stuff he likely hears about regardless of all the other people* saying the same things) it will be really good.

Also really liked his comment on Castlevania. I am surprised that nobody around these parts seems to know anything of the series.

* A number of points in his first video have been touched upon at least indirectly by VG Cats if nothing else.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2008, 23:23 by muteKi »

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Game overthinker
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2008, 07:55 »

I couldn't even get twenty seconds into that before clicking out. You don't intro yourself with "and you may find yourself wondering how I'm different than any of the other video game geeks out there" and then not answer the question to any satisfactory resolution. That's pretty much you telling me I shouldn't waste five minutes of my life on you.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Re: Game overthinker
« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2008, 17:06 »

This deserves its own thread just so it can be flamed while preserving Yahtzee's honor in another thread. Seriously, this guy sucks. He plays the extremely typical pretentious, elitist video game twat, with points like "this game will suck because I don't like how the main character looks". It's all recycled, totally mundane garbage that isn't done half as well as any number of other prick reviewers on the internet. He insults his viewers, but I only ever felt insulted for being subjected to 9 minutes of that drudgery.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2008, 18:32 »

ITT I realise I've never listened to a PA podcast even though I love the comic to death and resolve to fix the situation when I get some time this week.

Thanks, this thread!

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2008, 20:12 »

Funnily enough, this guy sounds like someone I work with.  Don't think it actually is him.  But it sounds like him.  I mean his voice, not his opinion.  There's another guy there for that.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Nodaisho

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2008, 14:42 »

I honestly liked these, I only heard 1, 3, and 4, because some asshole flagged 2 as inappropriate for minors.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

muteKi

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2008, 17:21 »

That's a pity, because I think 2 was his best, actually. It dealt with feminism and gaming, and how Mario Galaxy is crazy feminist despite the fact that Peach always gets kidnapped and can't seem to take care of herself.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2008, 00:46 »

"Nothing says I rule like dreadlocks on a white guy."

I found this hilarious.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2008, 03:32 »

I laughed a lot. Coll linky :D

Though it wasn't very informative or anything. It was ranting, but he was honest about it, so that's okay.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2008, 03:34 by snalin »
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

teh pwn queen

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Capiam vos in obscurum
    • Just fucking click it
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2008, 06:53 »

Hey, if we're going to do a thread about angry game reviewers, I think there's another that needs to be added...
Yahtzee is indeed a great reviewer of modern games, but I think I need to add this guy, he reviews old school game, he's angry, he's funny, and it's all in the name of fun.
Plus, with a name like that, you know dis shit be funny.
link clicky
I haven't logged in on the forum in literally 10 years and my website URL was still my MySpace profile...

muteKi

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2008, 07:48 »

He's got some really cool stuff out there, but I hadn't seen a lot of new stuff the last time I had checked. But for those unfamiliar with it he comes highly recommended from me. Watch the Indiana Jones review.

Nodaisho

« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2008, 22:02 »

I didn't much like the urinating tree guy, but I liked the new Game Overthinker, he makes some very good points.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

muteKi

« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2008, 23:39 »

Well, if you want intellectual discussion that may not be the place to go, but I found him funny and informative.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2008, 00:51 »

Pissing Tree's voice got annoying after about 15 seconds.  Couldn't handle it.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2008, 19:22 »

No, Yahtzee's actually quite natural, if fast.  The other reviewers are focusing so much on what they're saying that, well, it's very unnatural and that detracts quite a bit from the quality of the review.
Pages: [1]   Go Up