THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 12:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a point of note  (Read 5295 times)

Metalupis

a point of note
« on: 21 Apr 2008, 00:22 »

just a point of note, the immacculate conception is the belief that Mary did not sin at any point in her life before having Jesus, the virgin birth is the whole getting pregnent with out with out having sex thing

not a big deal since most people don't know the difference but thought i would mention it

Red Peril

Re: a point of note
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2008, 03:37 »

Are you sure? I mean the use of the word conception implies it's the sex part, although I suppose the two items of dogma needn't be logically named.

Red Peril

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2008, 03:39 »

Also I have seen mitosis when I was doing my Biology A-Level and Hanners does not exaggerate, it is indescribably foul to behold.

Uejji

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2008, 07:06 »

"The Immaculate Conception is, according to Roman Catholic dogma, the conception of Mary, the mother of Jesus without any stain of original sin, in her mother's womb: the dogma thus says that, from the first moment of her existence, she was preserved by God from the lack of sanctifying grace that afflicts mankind, and that she was instead filled with divine grace. It is further believed that she lived a life completely free from sin. Her immaculate conception in the womb of her mother, by normal sexual intercourse (Christian tradition identifies her parents as Sts. Joachim and Anne), should not be confused with the doctrine of the virginal conception of her son Jesus."

DreadPirateHumbert

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2008, 13:43 »

The neat thing about this doctrine is that it completely screws up a bunch of other doctrines.

POPS:  So, you ready to Incarnate and get brutally tortured to death?

JC: Um, sure, if You say so.  Sounds kind of unpleasant though.  Why do I gotta do that?

POPS: So I can free mankind which I created from Original Sin which I also created.

JC: Er, I guess that makes sense, but couldn't You just --

POPS:  Hey!  I forgot to mention, the girl I'm going to grow you out of?  You'll love this: I totally preserved her from the stain of Original Sin!

JC: Wow, how'd you do that?

POPS: Oh, you know, Sanctifying Grace and all.

JC: So, couldn't You --

POPS: Okay, time to go!  Merry Christmas!

JC: Wha?

Uejji

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2008, 21:07 »

I really do not think the point of this thread was to invite stupid religious debating, only to clarify a point.

DreadPirateHumbert

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2008, 22:13 »

OH SORRY FOR USING UP ALL THE BAND-WIDTH I FORGOT IT WAS STILL 1990 ALSO SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS IT DOES IT AUTOMATICALLY

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2008, 22:57 »

Don't listen to Uejji, DPH.  Your previous post was probably one of the better first posts I've seen around here.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2008, 14:17 »

So when people say "are you pregnant?" and the other person says "not unless it was an immaculate conception", what they think they're saying is "I haven't had sex" but what they're actually saying is "I never commit sin"? That's interesting to know.

Reading that over, it sounds like I was being sarcastic. I'm not, it's genuinely interesting. Why don't they teach this kind of thing in Religious Studies lessons? All we ever did was the Good Samaritan, which, whilst interesting in its way, is hardly captivating the twentieth time.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."
Pages: [1]   Go Up