THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 12:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums that deserve the vinyl treatment.  (Read 12431 times)

AnonymousNoob

Albums that deserve the vinyl treatment.
« on: 22 Apr 2008, 18:50 »

I know you guys are going to be all hip and snobbish and turn your collective nose at this thread, but yeah.

List them:

Scorpion, Lost Soul Bent on Revenge :: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2J63Caphgs&feature=related

Sub Zero, Chinese Ninja Warrior :: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKAtUeWCfrE&feature=related

Kano, Use Your Might :: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0h1DCFlOM&feature=related

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

(I actually wish this was on vinyl though, as ridiculous as it is.)

Commence hate.

Caspian

• The Tickler
Re: Albums that deserve the vinyl treatment.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2008, 18:55 »

I know you guys are going to be all hip and snobbish and turn your collective nose at this thread, but yeah.

List them:

I agree that this would look awesome in vinyl.

I think the only thing that I really want that isn't already vinyl-ed is Sleep's dopesmoker, but I guess have to change the vinyl would kinda ruin the flow.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2008, 19:10 »

« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2008, 19:31 by IronOxide »
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2008, 19:18 »

gang of four-entertainment!

oh wait.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

diablo_man

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2008, 19:47 »

Did they ever put electric wizards "dopethrone" on vinyl? cause if not then that is what i would want.
though i think the intense low bass output would probably shake my record player to much and skip it.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2008, 19:53 »

Every LP by Dinosaur Jr.  Also, every Built to Spill album.*

*Keep It Like a Secret is apparently available on vinyl, and I want it so hard.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2008, 19:59 »

I'm pretty sure almost everything by those bands will have had a vinyl release. Edit: after a quick search, it appears you can get Built To Spill's albums on vinyl from their website's online store.

I'd like 'They Sang & Chanted for Hours, Then the Locked in Hundreds set Themselves Ablaze' by Red Right Hand on wax, although the chances of that album ever getting a release are pretty much zero at this point. I've still got the promotional flyer for it somewhere, but it was not to be.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2008, 20:08 »

Oh, I thought you meant albums that should  be listened to on vinyl. My bad. I stand by my intended statement though.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2008, 20:17 »

That'd be a really cool track to hear on vinyl, but I think it's too long.
btw, basically anything by Boris the vinyl is soooooo worth it.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2008, 20:23 »

Yeah, but a lot of the Boris vinyl is limited and then goes for crazy money so if you don't get in quick you're stuffed.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2008, 20:29 »

I own Dopesmoker on vinyl.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2008, 20:56 »

Sweet. Doesn't changing the vinyl over ruin the flow, though?

Beastmouth

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2008, 21:33 »

Every LP by Dinosaur Jr. 
You're wrong on this.

I went to buy Beyond at the stand when I saw them live, and they cut off a shit ton of it because 12"s generally have shorter running times these days to make DJing easier.  <__<
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2008, 21:49 »

That's an odd reason. Most bands seem to just do double LPs if the album is too long for one disc, and I never knew of a rock band cutting things down so something would be DJ friendly, and I would have thought if they would then it would have been a while back with most clubs having CD mixers nowadays. I don't see how it would make DJing any easier either. Is this really a matter of course now?

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2008, 23:04 »

[Spiderland]

Not sure if this is what you were getting at but this record is indeed on vinyl already and rather easily found at that. It sounds great though. I honestly can't think of many albums I'd want on vinyl that aren't on vinyl already. I'm especially happy, however, with my Do Make Say Think and Godspeed You! Black Emperor vinyls, all of which sound pretty fantastic and are well deserving of the vinyl treatment. Constellation knows how to put out a terrific sounding and beautifully packaged piece of vinyl even if their prices are a bit exorbitant ($28 for the new ASMZ for ex.)
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

imapiratearg

« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2008, 05:49 »

I have The Weakerthans' Reunion Tour on vinyl and I love it to death, but I wish they were selling Reconstruction Site on vinyl too.  That album is fantastic.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2008, 05:53 »

Thankfully for me, Asian Man is putting out The Larry Arms' "Ghost Stories" on vinyl this summer.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr 2008, 06:08 »

I have The Weakerthans' Reunion Tour on vinyl and I love it to death, but I wish they were selling Reconstruction Site on vinyl too.  That album is fantastic.

It may be oop but if you want it badly enough and can afford to pay over the odds you can find it on ebay, looks like it'll cost you around $40 with shipping. I found one here.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #18 on: 23 Apr 2008, 11:11 »

I'll go ahead and say it:

Raw Power!
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

imapiratearg

« Reply #19 on: 23 Apr 2008, 11:31 »

I'm pretty sure almost everything by those bands will have had a vinyl release. Edit: after a quick search, it appears you can get Built To Spill's albums on vinyl from their website's online store.

All except for Ancient Melodies of the Future.   :|

It may be oop but if you want it badly enough and can afford to pay over the odds you can find it on ebay, looks like it'll cost you around $40 with shipping. I found one here.

Woo, thanks!  But I don't really have any money to spend right now, as I'm still trying to pay off my new amplifier.

Broken_Drum

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Until The Fuel Runs Dry
    • Overhead Cables Humming Music
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2008, 14:20 »

One Time For All Time- 65daysofstatic.
Just Zeros And Ones

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2008, 15:25 »

Sweet. Doesn't changing the vinyl over ruin the flow, though?

Yes. But not too badly depending on the situation you're using it in. Most of the time I am listening to it, there are people at my house and they could use the small break.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2008, 15:29 »

I'm confused. Is this thread supposed to be about albums that are out on vinyl and deserve to be or about albums that are not out on vinyl but should be? It seems to be the former but the title suggests the latter and....I just can't figure it out.

Hollow Press (my blog)

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2008, 15:37 »

According to the OP, it's supposed to be about us making fun of people who like the Mortal Kombat soundtrack?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2008, 15:53 »

I went for the latter, since that's what the phrase 'deserves the vinyl treatment' brings to my mind. Also, since I prefer everything on vinyl and so do so many people the answer to 'albums that deserve to be on vinyl' would for a lot of people be 'everything I might possibly want to listen to'. I don't really know what the OP was on about but we seem to have made something out of the discussion regardless.

I'd really like to see the Driven Down discography come out on vinyl and for the Stand/HHH split to get a vinyl release, but that will sadly never happen.

imapiratearg

« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2008, 16:03 »

Every LP by Dinosaur Jr. 
You're wrong on this.

I went to buy Beyond at the stand when I saw them live, and they cut off a shit ton of it because 12"s generally have shorter running times these days to make DJing easier.  <__<

What?

mfpole

• Furry furrier
  • Whats it going to be, eh?
« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2008, 17:59 »

Jawbreaker's vinyl version of Bivouac has less songs than the CD version. It's better that way because they cut off mostly filler, though.
i am the operator with my pocket calculator

AnonymousNoob

« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2008, 19:18 »

According to the OP, it's supposed to be about us making fun of people who like the Mortal Kombat soundtrack?

I went for the latter, since that's what the phrase 'deserves the vinyl treatment' brings to my mind. Also, since I prefer everything on vinyl and so do so many people the answer to 'albums that deserve to be on vinyl' would for a lot of people be 'everything I might possibly want to listen to'. I don't really know what the OP was on about but we seem to have made something out of the discussion regardless.

I'd really like to see the Driven Down discography come out on vinyl and for the Stand/HHH split to get a vinyl release, but that will sadly never happen.

It's mainly about albums that aren't on vinyl, like Mortal Kombat: The Album.

But there are other albums or EPs that I own that I've never seen a vinyl release of, unfortunately.

Otherwise, kudos to all of you for bringing some serious discussion to this thread, rather than dismissing the OP at face value.

I appreciate it.

Beastmouth

« Reply #28 on: 23 Apr 2008, 21:28 »

Every LP by Dinosaur Jr. 
You're wrong on this.

What?
Beyond's vinyl edition is only 8 songs long.  A lot of records these days, especially 12 inch albums and singles, are cut with wide grooves.  There can be any number of reasons for this, but it often serves to make DJ's lives easier.  Cutting that album down to fit on vinyl was probably unnecessary, and by no means did 4 tracks need to be cut, but they were.  So I didn't buy it. 

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr 2008, 06:04 »

I'd assume what they mean by cutting it down for DJs is that it's recorded on 12" single vinyl rather than 12" album vinyl - this gives it a broader dynamic range and sounds better in clubs apparently (and also makes it easier to distinguish the different parts of the song visually, which would help DJs find the "tasty beats" they need to "drop" to get "the kids" "dancing.")
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

imapiratearg

« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2008, 06:19 »

Beyond had some "meh" tracks on it as well as some fucking awesome ones.  So I don't see the problem with this.  However,  Without A Sound and You're Living All Over Me should be on vinyl if they aren't already.

Beastmouth

« Reply #31 on: 24 Apr 2008, 09:57 »

I'd assume what they mean by cutting it down for DJs is that it's recorded on 12" single vinyl rather than 12" album vinyl - this gives it a broader dynamic range and sounds better in clubs apparently (and also makes it easier to distinguish the different parts of the song visually, which would help DJs find the "tasty beats" they need to "drop" to get "the kids" "dancing.")
Not really.  They reissued The Chronic a few years ago, digital remastering and all, and they put it out as a double album so it'd be easier to cut to specific beats.  I have an early issue copy that managed to fit on a single album just fine. 

AnonymousNoob

« Reply #32 on: 25 Apr 2008, 11:08 »

Speaking awesome vinyl treatments, look what just arrived at my house:

:-D :-D :-D

imapiratearg

« Reply #33 on: 25 Apr 2008, 11:26 »

:-(

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2008, 11:43 »

I loathe you now, you know that right?

Faak u.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #35 on: 26 Apr 2008, 16:46 »

Skol, an immensely brilliant live recording of Oscar Peterson and Stephane Grappelli with Joe Pass on guitar, Niels Henning Orsted-Pedersen on bass and Mickey Roker on drums. One of my absolute favorite jazz albums of all time, hands down. Everything about this album is brilliant and the pairing of my favorite Jazz pianist (Peterson), a completely mesmerizing jazz violinist (Grapelli) and three other incredible musicians makes this a must-listen. Sadly, it never came out on vinyl. I probably want it on vinyl more than any other album right now.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Bowers

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Breadsticks
« Reply #36 on: 02 May 2008, 09:37 »

Oh good god yes,
I literally skipped all the way to the counter when I found this in HMV

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #37 on: 02 May 2008, 11:59 »

Everything by Eluvium (besides the upcoming Matthew Cooper release and the Jesu split) needs to be on vinyl immediately! It's some of my favorite ambient material ever and I would love so much to have vinyl quality and large artwork. Luckily, it's in the works!!
MONO's 'Under the Pipal Tree' is also an absolutely brilliant album by one of the best bands currently making music but it will, sadly, never get a vinyl release since Tzadik, the label it came out on, refuses to issue it or let anyone else buy the rights to issue it.
'How Strange, Innocence' by Explosions in the Sky also really needs to be repressed on vinyl. It got one pressing of 100 way back when the band toured for the first time ever and it will never, as per the band's request, be pressed again. The only copy I've seen is on ebay for a 'buy it now' price of $440.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2008, 13:40 by TheFuriousWombat »

Hollow Press (my blog)

C Patrick Carolan

« Reply #38 on: 03 May 2008, 08:55 »

Yeah, I know it was already released on vinyl, but it has been discontinued for ages and I haven't been able to find a copy for less than $125 online. I'd gladly take a re-press.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #39 on: 03 May 2008, 09:23 »

Yep. I'd kill for Agaetis Byrjun to be re-printed.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #40 on: 03 May 2008, 09:46 »

Me too. Same with '( )' in an actual decent quality vinyl press and 'Takk.' I don't want to pay $150 for that crummily made "In a Frozen Sea' box set with all the albums (minus 'Von' but plus 'Smaskifa') on vinyl but I'm conflicted since, after all, it's all high quality vinyl of some of my favorite music. I found 'Takk' for $50 new somewhere and I'm heavily considering buying it but I really am not sure if I should get one or the other or neither.

Hollow Press (my blog)

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #41 on: 03 May 2008, 20:00 »

Oh man, Takk... would be fantastic on vinyl.

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #42 on: 04 May 2008, 13:17 »

"Come My Fanatics" by Electric Wizard and "Welcome to Sky Valley" by Kyuss.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up