THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To Germany with poverty  (Read 7736 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
To Germany with poverty
« on: 24 Apr 2008, 12:45 »

So, in summer I'm hoping to go to Germany for a few weeks to work as an au pair, but the plane fares are pretty expensive and I'm low on funds.

The employment situation round here is sucky (actually it's non-existent) and anyway I'd have trouble working right now, what with exams and then obviously being out of the country for several weeks, so just plain getting a job isn't really an option.

Even though I know I'm opening myself up to suggestions of a prostitutional nature (pun absolutely intended), does anyone have any smart ideas about how I can make some money without committing a crime or joining the Armed Forces? There are no babies around here to sit on, so baby sitting is also out. I'm looking for new and novel ideas, people, I'm fresh out of inspiration. I might even dedicate a cake to the best one.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Re: To Germany with poverty
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2008, 13:32 »

Auction off some of your less necessary toes.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2008, 13:48 »

Be an egg donor or surrogate mother, you can make insane money. It just sucks a lot.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2008, 13:48 »

medical research studies
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2008, 13:55 »

Yeah, around here medical research studies are huge for college kids. There are big huge scary ones that pay like five thousand (US) and pretty boring ones that are almost guaranteed not to harm you for like five hundred. My friend recently did a study where they were testing adhesives for patches, like the nicorette patches or birth control patches. Basically she got a band-aid ripped off once a week for a few hundred dollars. You can also donate plasma, you get get up to $50 a week doing that, which is a super easy and fast way to get a little extra cash.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2008, 13:58 »

Plasma depends on the state- here, you either do it for free for the red cross, and some places will give you like ten bucks and a cookie
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2008, 14:05 »

My friend recently did a study where they were testing adhesives for patches, like the nicorette patches or birth control patches. Basically she got a band-aid ripped off once a week for a few hundred dollars.

my boyfriend did one that involved getting drunk. (i'm not entirely sure what this study was supposed to be testing...)
then complained because he did not like their choice of alcoholic beverage.
i told him to shut the fuck up.  i'm pretty sure he was getting close to a grand for this. easiest money ever, unlike the ones with drugs that could have unpredictable side effects.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2008, 15:13 »

Plasma donation.
I think they pay $50 or so everytime you donate, and you can donate, I think, once a week? (Don't quote me on that, I've never done it, but my Mom used to).

Otherwise, you could always pawn your stuff...

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2008, 15:17 »

You can donate plasma every two weeks, I think.  I never heard of anyone getting paid for it, though.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2008, 15:33 »

In West Virginia you could donate every 4 weeks and get like $150 each time.

Be a courier! That gets you cheap flights!
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2008, 21:58 »

Here I guess in ND at Biolife Plasma Services, it is $20 for the first bout within a week and $30 for the second. You can do this every week if you wanted to, I think, but most people skip a week. You can also get extra money if you refer people or if it's your first time. Woo?

She's from somewhere in the UK though, I think. Wonder what it's like there.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2008, 22:06 »

That's very similar to how it is over here in Wisconsin, except i think it's $35 for the second visit.

True story: I used to donate, but after two different incidents of hematoma and three other unsuccessful trips, I don't believe I'm going again ever.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2008, 04:47 »

Courier, ala euro trip?
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2008, 08:27 »

Busk. Naked.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2008, 08:56 »

Here I guess in ND at Biolife Plasma Services, it is $20 for the first bout within a week and $30 for the second. You can do this every week if you wanted to, I think, but most people skip a week. You can also get extra money if you refer people or if it's your first time. Woo?

She's from somewhere in the UK though, I think. Wonder what it's like there.

You don't get paid for donating in the UK, but you can get cash for medical testing.

How about hitch hiking there? A friend of mine managed UK to Morocco very easily. You'd want at least one person with you though.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2008, 09:21 »

Off Topic: I also know a man who hitched from the UK to Morocco. Is this a fairly popular thing I wasn't aware of, does the name Joe mean anything to you, or is this just coinicidence?

On Topic: I think selling some of your less wanted stuff is a good way to go.  Ebay might get you a bit more money than a pawn shop but it won't be anywhere near as quick.  If you do use ebay then take the stuff to a pawn shop and see what they offer you and then set that (or slightly more than that) as the starting price.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2008, 09:25 »

Well there's a competitions universities have to see who can get the furthest for free, maybe Morocco is just an easy place to get to?

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2008, 10:01 »

Plasma donation.
I think they pay $50 or so everytime you donate, and you can donate, I think, once a week? (Don't quote me on that, I've never done it, but my Mom used to).

Otherwise, you could always pawn your stuff...

That's what I used to do all the time. It takes awhile though, the first time you go they put you through a physical and it takes about 3 hours that time. The subsequent times it takes about 45 minutes or so. Still, it's a pretty easy way to get a mentionable amount of cash.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #18 on: 25 Apr 2008, 19:35 »

So, in summer I'm hoping to go to Germany

Where exactly?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #19 on: 25 Apr 2008, 21:24 »

Off Topic: I also know a man who hitched from the UK to Morocco. Is this a fairly popular thing I wasn't aware of, does the name Joe mean anything to you, or is this just coinicidence?

I think it's pretty common, I believe the people I know did it for charity (I do know a Joe but he lives in Aberdeen and sits about being grumpy and listening to gruff punk instead of hitching).
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #20 on: 26 Apr 2008, 01:58 »

Get a job? 

Naw, that'd be stupid.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #21 on: 26 Apr 2008, 04:15 »

The employment situation round here is sucky (actually it's non-existent) and anyway I'd have trouble working right now, what with exams and then obviously being out of the country for several weeks, so just plain getting a job isn't really an option.

Hooray for not actually reading the first post, Don!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #22 on: 26 Apr 2008, 04:53 »

I think it's pretty common, I believe the people I know did it for charity (I do know a Joe but he lives in Aberdeen and sits about being grumpy and listening to gruff punk instead of hitching).

Yeah, it's a pretty big charity here. A bunch of my friends did it this spring break. I'm actually quite jealous of them. more about it

OP: Zoom airlines is a pretty cheap airline that will get you into the UK, and from there getting to germany shouldn't be too expensive. Ryanair flights go at 10 pounds from stansted to Dusseldorf I think.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2008, 04:57 by StaedlerMars »
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #23 on: 26 Apr 2008, 06:38 »

Aren't the Ł10 flights exclusive of tax though?

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #24 on: 26 Apr 2008, 07:40 »

Nah, the flight actually costs about 0.99 pence, but then w/ tax and fees it becomes about 10 quid. I used it to fly to charleroi and back over spring break. They weren't kidding. The problem with it though is that the flights are often at weird times during the day. Mine was at 7 in the morning and there were no trains there that early, so I had to spend the night in the airport.

EDIT: also, another catch is that the airport is usually some obscure airport. Like charleroi instead of brussels, pisa instead of florence, prestwick instead of glasgow, etc.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2008, 07:50 by StaedlerMars »
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #25 on: 26 Apr 2008, 08:34 »

Thanks for all the ideas! I don't think you get paid for donating blood etc in the UK, but the selling things idea is a good one. Do you need to be over 18 to sell things on Ebay?

I'm going to Saxony, which will be cool because I've only been to West Germany thus far. It could be interesting because the family I'm staying with can't speak much English, so I'll have to learn German fast! Not as bad as it sounds though, I've been learning German for about six years.

Yup, I'm from the UK and today it's pretty cloudy. I live in a very rural part, we have practically no public transport and lots of little winding roads, but when I say rural I mean British rural not the American road movie kind of rural.

Redglasscurls, I actually have thought I might be a surrogate mother when I'm older but I'm a bit young at the moment and I think being pregnant might get in the way of actually going to Germany! I hadn't realised you got paid for it, though, but I guess most people wouldn't do it otherwise.

Anyway I'm going to have a look at what I could sell. Not much, sadly, I seem to own a lot of crap. Any other ideas? Anyone fancy buying an appallingly badly knitted scarf or some such article?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #26 on: 26 Apr 2008, 10:15 »

People always want to buy other peoples crap!

You must have things from your childhood that are in working order and you don't have a huge sentimental attachment to.  Sell those DVDs you own but probably won't watch again anytime in the near future

Whatever you're thinking of selling make sure you let us all know. People (including myself) might be interested in buying some of your stuff and I'd like to think folks on here would be willing to pay a little more than a pawn shop for anything they're interested in. (Please note that I am not suggesting that this forum should be seen as a marketplace, I just think that - in this case - it seems relevant to let barmy try to sell us shit. A auction thread might be a fun idea though.)

Incidentally if you knit me a tea cosy I'd be willing to pay handsomely for it. (Srsly.)

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #27 on: 26 Apr 2008, 22:23 »

Hooray for not actually reading the first post, Don!

Most of the time "employment situation around here is sucky" means "I don't wanna work at McDonalds."  I have no idea where this person lives or the situation since they didn't expand; it's just my experience talking. 

Good luck to ya.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2008, 22:28 by DonInKansas »
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #28 on: 27 Apr 2008, 02:45 »

I was an au pair in Italy for three months, and it was great (I had to come back because of trouble with the Schengen visa--being from the EU, you shouldn't have that problem)!  I have an acquaintance who did it in Germany, and she loved it.  Enjoy it!

My first recommendation--if you can't easily get the money from selling stuff, donating blood, etc.--would be to talk to the family about it.  If the German situation is anything like the one in Italy, EVERYONE's looking for English-speaking au pairs, and there really aren't too many girls to go around.  The family I stayed with was offered one application (mine) in seven months of waiting.  Thus, the market is really favorable to the au pairs, and you have a fair bit of bargaining power.  Obviously, you don't want to strain your relationship by asking for too much, but even if your contract doesn't state that the family pays for air fare, if you talk to them and explain that you're really excited about working with them but are having trouble coming up with the money, they'll probably be willing to either help you out a little or maybe even foot the bill entirely.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2008, 02:47 by Elizzybeth »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 27 Apr 2008, 03:36 »

Don, I don't think there even is a McDonalds where I live, I've never seen it. But you're right, I wouldn't want to work in one because I'm vegetarian and the smell of onions makes me ill.

I'd love to knit a tea cosy, although I can't begin to imagine what it'd look like. I'll give it a go and let you know what it turns out like.

Right, I'm going back to my dad's in a few weeks (that's where all my stuff lives, I only brought the things I needed when I moved out) so I'll have a clear out and get selling. I'll let you all know if I find anything interesting :-)

Oh and Elizzybeth, I'm not going through an official agency. My German teacher set it up, she knows the family very well and the arrangement is that I'll pay the plane fare and they'll keep me, but no money involved apart from that. It's mostly to give me a chance to improve my German before my major exams next summer.

What's the Schengen visa? I never really thought about it but I suppose the EU makes it a lot easier for people to travel. I've never been outside Europe so I've only got a vague idea what a visa actually is.

Edit: Apparently you do have to be 18 to sell things on Ebay. That makes it more complicated but perhaps my mum will let me use her as a middle (wo)man.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2008, 04:00 by Barmymoo »

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #30 on: 27 Apr 2008, 04:01 »

Oh, I see.  You're probably better off this way, anyway.  The family is much more likely to think of you as a real person rather than just the nanny if you're a friend of a friend.

Schengen visas basically allow transit to and among the Schengen states, which include most EU members.  Being an American passport holder, I was entitled to a 3-month tourist Schengen visa.  Though I could've theoretically remained in the country and incurred a visa overstay, the penalty if one is caught can include a hefty fine, a black mark in your passport, and / or getting banned from the Schengen states for five years (depending on the seriousness of your offense and on the speed with which you pay the original fine).  In past years, it's been easy to slip past border control, but they've been working hard to make the system more electronically integrated (they scan your passport at the control desk, and the number of days you've been in the EU shows up on a screen) and harder to beat.  Again, you shouldn't have any of these problems as an EU citizen, but it never hurts to be familiar with the visa laws when traveling internationally.  Being interrogated by border control officers is hard enough when it's in your first language!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #31 on: 27 Apr 2008, 04:05 »

That sounds scary and official, I'll look into it to be on the safe side but I'd be staying a maximum of one month anyway, so hopefully it won't be an issue. I think since I'm not getting paid for it I'd be there "on holiday" rather than "to work" so presumably no problems.

The only time I've been stopped by customs is when I was on an orchestra trip, and we accidentally ended up in Switzerland on the way to Italy. We were meant to be going through Germany but a road was closed and we got (very) lost. Sitting for two hours in the middle of the night at Swiss border control watching the coach in front being systematically stripped down was rather unnerving, I'm so glad they eventually just let us through.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #32 on: 27 Apr 2008, 04:11 »

Due to being a EUvian, I think that you could just up and go to work anywhere in the EU without any fancy government stuff. That's what Schengen allows, as far as I know. Britain and Ireland aren't actually fully in it, but the same rules apply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #33 on: 27 Apr 2008, 04:25 »

Isn't there something that means all EU people except us crazy island-dwellers no longer need passports and basically Europe is meant to be one big supercountry? I've always wondered how borders actually work, not having any border control over here. I mean, do they have someone posted on every inch of land between the two countries? Is there a big wall? How do they stop people just wandering from France to Germany or so forth? Or do they not? Sorry to sound rather stupid, but since here in the UK there's a very blurred line between Wales, England and Scotland I find the idea of totally seperate countries that are basically the same landmass quite hard to grasp.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #34 on: 27 Apr 2008, 07:02 »

There's no such thing as borders. It's kind of great, cause you have these large border posts from back in the day, but no one is posted on them. Kind of spooky at the same time. The only place you notice anything resembling a border patrol is in airports and that's more a formality, if you're a european citizin all you have to do is flash any form of id and you can go through. So in short, they don't keep people from wandering from France into Germany.

In other countries (I'm thinking of the US here) there's actually a fence along the border I think.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #35 on: 27 Apr 2008, 07:54 »

We're working on it!

(if you go down to the border with Mexico where the fences and walls are being built, most people are actually against it. Why the government continues on, I don't know.)
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #36 on: 27 Apr 2008, 08:00 »

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #37 on: 27 Apr 2008, 13:15 »

Isn't there something that means all EU people except us crazy island-dwellers no longer need passports and basically Europe is meant to be one big supercountry?
I guess they're sort of trying (I'm not too familiar with the rules as Norway isn't part of the EU, but in Schengen, and whenever I've been abroad, it seems rather random whether or not they check my passport), but having a passport with you is always a good idea, because it's a universal form of identification, and some places will not accept other forms of ID (at least from us Norwegians, and I've been told it goes for others as well). But yeah, I'm pretty sure you don't need to worry about a visa or anything like that.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #38 on: 27 Apr 2008, 19:03 »

Apparantly we have lots of navy,customs,whatever boats patrolling the massive invisble sea barrier here to stop immigrants. Well that's what Mr. TV says.
Pages: [1]   Go Up