THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 03:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out of character moments  (Read 5114 times)

antidemagogue

Out of character moments
« on: 26 Apr 2008, 09:41 »

I like when characters surprise you by saying something totally different from their normal style (ie raven in http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1129). It feels a little stretched, since it does go against the character that's been built up over time. But it gives me hope that all the annoying ditsy people I know irl have profound analyzes of modern political thought hidden somewhere, just waiting to surprise me. This comic gives me hope in the intelligence of humanity.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
Re: Out of character moments
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2008, 12:21 »

Raven's much smarter than she acts. I think that line of hers was very in-character, especially taken as a whole along with her next line.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2008, 17:57 »

Raven's come out with stuff like this before.  I have a feeling Raven's book-smart in certain areas, but generally kind of naive about the world.  I knew a girl like that in highschool.  Would top the school in certain things, but have absolutely no idea in others, or how to extrapolate general cases from specific examples, etc.

KamikaziCal

• Plantmonster
  • TEXT can go here?
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2008, 16:11 »

Yea, in my experience, even the dumbest of people are smart in a few areas... Like I knew some people I thought were really dumb, then we have had in depth conversations on some literature, or philosophy or something.. And I'm sure people would consider "us" (meaning the people that consider themselves smart) to be stupid when it comes to certain topics.

Just goes to show, never judge a book by it's cover... Or by it's first few chapters..?
Unless the cover is really hot... Then you know the book will be awesome anyway.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2008, 18:02 »

Raven's fairly well read in some specific areas, and intelligent in general, it's just that she's very trusting and has quite simple tastes.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2008, 17:27 »

Whenever she does or says something smarter than usual, she covers it up immediately with something stupid. When Penelope "You're not as stupid as you look" she says she has her pant on backwards. When she snarks Faye she says "I'm FAR too dumb to use sarcasm." She's hiding behind obsfucating stupidity.

Or Jeph was going for a punchline, but I like this idea.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2008, 08:31 »

I like that theory. I remember when she told Faye she was too dumb to use sarcasm, it occurred to me that of course she was using sarcasm, but since everyone treasts her like she's dumb, she might as well use it to her advantage. Faye was left not really knowing for sure whether she'd been slammed, while Raven can walk away chuckling inwardly.

It's easier to act dumber than you are than to act smarter than you are.  Plus, if you get caught playing dumb, people still aren't sure.  If you get caught trying to act smart, you look really bad.  And stupid.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2008, 11:27 »

Or maybe she's just impulsive, gullible, and somewhat lacking in common sense and general knowledge.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2008, 11:31 »

Okay, Raven's an avant garde anthropologist earning a PhD studying the lifestyle of Western Mass. hipsters.  Discuss.
Pages: [1]   Go Up