THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Night Marchers  (Read 2719 times)

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
The Night Marchers
« on: 04 May 2008, 03:59 »

John 'Speedo' Reis has a new band, The Night Marchers, and they have a new record, See You In Magic. I was pretty certain I'd like it. After all, this man gave us Drive Like Jehu, Rocket From The Crypt and Hot Snakes. This new band features 3/4 of Hot Snakes, and I'm in the minority of people who thought they were the best band he was ever in. But my record budget is very small and I've already spent a little this month so I figured I'd just download it. After all, it might not be brilliant, maybe it's just solid. Definitely not going to be as good as Suicide Invoice, surely.

This might actually be the best record he's ever done. I saw an interview where he said he was tired of separating off his different approaches into different projects as he had when Hot Snakes and RFTC were still active, and it seems he's succeeded. More straight-up than Hot Snakes but not as deliberately retro as RFTC, this feels like it's reaching back into rock and roll instead of trying to replicate its earlier forms. There's a post-hardcore feel but like Hot Snakes it isn't as dry as I felt Drive Like Jehu could sometimes be. It has swagger, it sounds like a brilliant film about bars, late nights and regrets. Songs like Jump In The Fire and And I Keep Holding On sound epic and timeless, like I've been listening to them for years.

Basically, The Night Marchers are making a convincing argument that they're the best rock band on the face of the planet right now.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: The Night Marchers
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2008, 07:14 »

I did not know he was doing another project! this is good news. Is it out in stores? I'll probably pick it up with my next paycheck.

My favorite project is definitely Hot Snakes as well--Drive Like Jehu were great, but Hot Snakes have been so consistently excellent that it's hard not to love them. Suicide Invoice is also my favorite Hot Snakes record (Gar Forgets His Insulin is ohgodsoawesome), but most of the consensus I've heard favors one of the other two.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Re: The Night Marchers
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2008, 07:58 »

It came out about a week ago I think, on Swami and Vagrant. CD version seems to be due in about a month. Hopefully somewhere will have it when I got to get my Melt-Banana ticket tomorrow, I don't think I know any UK distros that do Vagrant stuff.

Most people I know think I'm insane for preferring Hot Snakes to Jehu. They look at me like I just kicked their dog in the face and snickered.

Oh hell yes, they just added a Manchester date to their tour. They were going to be doing one of those ones where they play London three nights in a row and ignore the rest of the country which is always completely lame, but no longer. Totally going to head across for that.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2008, 08:03 by a pack of wolves »
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!
Pages: [1]   Go Up