THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 18:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cliché for the Day: Marvel vs. DC  (Read 18928 times)

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
Cliché for the Day: Marvel vs. DC
« on: 04 May 2008, 06:46 »

Well, if it isn't the age old question. A question that has raged between many a nerd while simultaneously puzzling innocent bystanders who don't understand the significance of such a silly debate.

Marvel or DC?

I understand that not everyone buys a specific company's books (personally, I usually go for DC, and only stay current on DC due to there just being plenty of material and money to be spent on DC and I'm content with where I am.) But does anyone here have any preference, however minimal and inconsequential?

I personally prefer DC, partially because the excellent various animated series are burned into my childhood (And even in more recent years enjoying the occasional JLU episode). I suppose it's slightly ironic that only as a teenager did actual comics become a hobby of mine, but nevertheless. I also enjoy DC due to the presence of the majority of my favorite heroes (Batman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, The Question, etc. etc.) I've also come to believe that the general tone of the DCU is very mythical and legendary. The big characters all feel like such huge icons and there's a sense of legacy all over the DCU, and I think Marvel doesn't have such a huge amount of that. Also, 52 was really, really good. Just thought I'd throw that out there. (Too many people get it mixed up with Countdown, however)

Also, DC has the entire Vertigo imprint. And, Fables is my favorite series, hands down. I imagine there's probably an appreciation for Sandman and Watchmen around here as well?

I will say though, that as far as film goes. Marvel has a definite advantage over DC. I just saw Iron Man last night. Very entertaining movie. The Incredible Hulk looks solid as well. Marvel's franchises have stumbles (X-Men 3, Spider-Man 3, the first Hulk) but I think overall they have very good quality control over their films where DC doesn't always have that in their servitude to WB (see: Batman & Robin, Superman Returns.) Hopefully JLA is going to be good. I'm genuinely rooting for JLA to be great, because it's basically the only chance for heroes like Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter to get a film in the foreseeable future. (Edit: Oh wait I forgot that Ghost Rider was shit. And Daredevil. And Elektra? They made an Elektra movie, right? Oh well. Maybe they just make more so it seems better as a whole.)

Marvel also sells extremely well over DC these days. I think they've had a lot of momentum for a lot of years, and as a result have had money to throw at things like a movie studio. They've definitely been dominating in the merchandising game, as well.

So, anyway, what about you, what are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: 04 May 2008, 06:58 by JediBendu »

ravenjade

• Not quite a lurker
Re: Cliché for the Day: Marvel vs. DC
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2008, 12:55 »

I'm a DC gal but it took me a long time to do all the research I needed in order to even vaguely understand what's going on in the DCU. I do occasionally stumble into the Marvel-verse, but the characters seem less interesting to me, and like you said the tone is very different. I'm pretty big on the Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman, Blue Beetle, Manhunter, and Secret Six, which I am aware is a lot of Gail Simone. XD

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2008, 13:21 »

At present, there's no contest. Marvel's knocking about 80% of their output out of the park, while there's a total of like three or four good titles at DC (Two of which, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, are about to have a creative team change, so that might not stick. The GL titles are good too). JLA, the Superman titles, the Batman titles and the Flash are all an absolute fucking mess right now. Countdown was, without a doubt, the biggest pile of shit I have read since X-Men: The Twelve. I'm really having trouble getting excited for Final Crisis considering how awful the leadup has been combined with my overall apathy toward Grant Morrison.

Meanwhile, Marvel's been ramping up the quality output. The space related titles (Annihilation, Nova) have been great, the X-Men titles have all improved drastically since Messiah Complex, the Avengers franchise has been great since Bendis took over (And the Secret Invasion buildup has been a ton of fun) and even Spider-Man is great (One More Day was crap, but the ends justifies the means considering how much fun the title is now). Even ancillary titles like Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc are great.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2008, 20:56 »

Ravenjade: After reading comics for a while, and generally avoiding a lot of the DCU for the very reason of not understanding it, I eventually just decided to say whatever, and buy whatever I was interested in and not think too much about the overall continuity. Eventually I got used to it, but I do agree, DC is complicated.

Obsessions: You have a definite point there, Marvel does seem to have a much better output overall. But, as I said, without a huge amount of money to spend, I'm content with what's good or what I enjoy at DC with the occasional sampling of other titles I'm interested in regardless of publishing house. I would disagree that all the Batman titles are currently bad. There's certainly a lot of shit running around in the various Batman series (and I just really don't like what Morrison's doing on Batman, still buying R.I.P. just to see what's going on there though) but I think Detective Comics is pretty solid and enjoyable, at least if you're just a fan of little, more concise Batman adventures. It's not amazing, but I think it's an entertaining book. I might disagree and say that three or four good titles is giving them too little credit.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2008, 07:13 »

I should preface this with saying that I do not read comics anymore. The reason for this is though I really wish I could, I just don't have the time to read anything that isn't my uni books or this forums and it's associated webcomic (I also read other webcomics but they don't cost me any money). Being a poor student means that i often can't spend upwards of $7 an issue for the latest whatever. Maybe one day I'll get to read comics again but I worry that I've been so far removed from the storylines that I wouldn't know what the hell is going on anymore.

That said, I love the Marvel Universe. The themes of prejudice and conflict between the humans and mutants (obviously I'm referencing X-men here) really get me. I like the characters and I like the storylines. DC on the other hand, I don't give a shit about. Really the only character I care about even remotely is Batman, the rest I find really dull and unbelievable. I quite like the Vertigo line of comics (Sandman, Hellblazer etc...) but DC doesn't do it for me.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Weaselon

• Not quite a lurker
    • The Urban Knight
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2008, 20:35 »

Marvel girl here, though I'm hardly exclusive - I've bought my share of DC comics, I used to follow Supergirl and I do love the Batman. I've read a lot of Dark Horse as well. With Marvel the attraction is mostly about Spidy, but I had a subscription to SpiderGirl at one point and I've always enjoyed the mutant vs normal humans political aspects.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2008, 01:18 »

I've always been a Marvel fan. I find Batman and Superman to be pretty boring, and the most interesting characters DC has never get used. If they had a good team on Wonder Woman, I'd be real interested in it, but they never do.

As 0bsessions said, Marvel's output (recently, not always, guys) is just a lot better across the board. And, it's obvious they aren't as afraid to challenge the way readers think about their main heroes. They made Iron Man a villian (essentially), killed Captain America, finally started telling Wolverine's real history and demasked Spider-Man! Those are the biggest heroes Marvel has! Those are all pretty ballsy movies. DC occasionally does interesting things (52 was a cool idea, but was just too much of an investment for me to care much about), but they never seem to stick. You can't have DC without Superman or Batman. It just doesn't work. There's nothing really wrong with that, I just don't like it much.

I grew up with the Avengers, because of my uncle, and I just love the characters involved. When they did that JLA/Avengers crossover a few years ago, it really did make me think about the two different worlds, and why I liked Marvel's so much more, and they hit it perfectly for me. The DC heroes are larger than life and there really isn't anyone holding them accountable. Marvel heroes have to earn their hero priveleges, and aren't trusted just because they wear a cape. There's two perfectly acceptable sides to a coin, and I chose tails, I guess.

Recently, I've been kind of getting into Dark Horse, though. Am I a cheater for saying that?

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2008, 06:28 »

at the moment i'm reading astonishing x-men(why i don't know...insert somethign about a dead horse here), 100 bullets, fables, jack of fables, mice templar, powers, serenity: better days, the exterminators and transhuman

this adds up to
0 DC + 4 vertigo
1 Marvel + 1 icon
2 Image
1 Dark Horse

...can i be an independant fan instead...honestly i can't seem to stand the stuff set in the mainstream universes
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2008, 06:44 »

I've always been a Marvel fan. I find Batman and Superman to be pretty boring, and the most interesting characters DC has never get used. If they had a good team on Wonder Woman, I'd be real interested in it, but they never do.

I haven't checked it out, as I have no interest in the character, but Gail Simone recently took over Wonder Woman. Simone is a fantastic writer and is probably worth checking out.

As 0bsessions said, Marvel's output (recently, not always, guys)

That's an important distinction I failed to make, it seems. The pendulum swings both ways, sometimes. Honestly, just a few years ago, I was heavily leaning DC while not really caring for much of any of Marvel's output. Back when Identity Crisis was going on, DC was knocking it out of the park (Meanwhile, I think the Ultimate line, Fantastic Four and Amazing Spider-Man were my only Marvel reading). Since then, they've pretty much shoved everything they did there under the rug because too many old school fans whined. As much as I disagree with some Marvel decisions, at least they show more stones than DC at present.

And, it's obvious they aren't as afraid to challenge the way readers think about their main heroes. They made Iron Man a villian (essentially), killed Captain America, finally started telling Wolverine's real history and demasked Spider-Man! Those are the biggest heroes Marvel has! Those are all pretty ballsy movies.

I think that's a skewed perception on Iron Man and one I've got to say is what really makes them admirable: there characters tend to play on real human emotion. DC doesn't really have any anti-heroes or understandable villains. Just about every villain in the DC universe (With the exceptions of a couple Batman villains) is a hand wringing, mustache twirling, muahahaing villain. Meanwhile, all their heroes (With a handful of exceptions who've been swept under the rug lately, such as Kyle Rayner) are unstoppable paragons of truth and justice. They don't have character flaws. Iron Man is a perfect example of why I prefer Marvel overall. He's realistic. Calling him a villain is entirely unfair to the character and completely misunderstanding what they're doing with him. Yes, he's made some poor choices that seem cruel, but it's all been for what would be called the greater good. Conversely, the only difference between him and, say, Magneto, is that his side won. History sides with the victor. I actually think Tony Stark is currently one of Marvel's best characters.

Of note, though, they HAVE reversed the Spider-Man unmasking. They did that when they broke up his marriage. It stung a bit, but in the long run, it's been a smart move.

DC occasionally does interesting things (52 was a cool idea, but was just too much of an investment for me to care much about), but they never seem to stick. You can't have DC without Superman or Batman. It just doesn't work. There's nothing really wrong with that, I just don't like it much.

52 was great and I'd recommend looking into the trades. In terms of the big characters, it's true. They've tried to replace some of them (Bruce Wayne was supposed to die at the end of Kinghtsquest and Dick Grayson was supposed to take over), and have succeeded in many cases, but it never sticks forever. They replaced Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern, for a long time. Something like twelve years. People were pissed initially, but that was actually DC pulling kind of a Marvel. Jordan's descent into madness and turn to a "the ends justify the means" mentality was a great ride, and I always loved his replacement, Kyle Rayner. Of course, now that DC's got a "Silver age was great, let's go back to that" mentality, Hal Jordan has returned and his villainy has been retconned as "mind control." They also replaced Barry Allen with Wally West and that's still working out (Though Barry Allen did finally return a couple weeks ago) and they tried replacing Wally with another Flash, but it didn't take.
I grew up with the Avengers, because of my uncle, and I just love the characters involved. When they did that JLA/Avengers crossover a few years ago, it really did make me think about the two different worlds, and why I liked Marvel's so much more, and they hit it perfectly for me. The DC heroes are larger than life and there really isn't anyone holding them accountable. Marvel heroes have to earn their hero priveleges, and aren't trusted just because they wear a cape. There's two perfectly acceptable sides to a coin, and I chose tails, I guess.

That's the intrinsic difference between the two companies. DC has, and always will be, the company for people who want an escape into a more Utopian and black and white world. The heroes are heroes, the villains are villains and there's few gray areas (Outside of the Batman line) and the good guys always triumph over evil. The Marvel Universe, however, has always been one big gray area. Heroes can fuck up and sometimes the villains are right (And sometimes they win).

Recently, I've been kind of getting into Dark Horse, though. Am I a cheater for saying that?

I wouldn't say so. Two of my favorite comics right now are published by Image (Invincible and the Walking Dead).
JON MADE ME GAY

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2008, 07:41 »

Though Batman is my favorite superhero, I prefer a lot more of the Marvel heroes. But not many of the comics I've been reading lately deal with either superheroes or are DC/Marvel comics. I think most of them are Dark Horse.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2008, 08:27 »

DC occasionally does interesting things (52 was a cool idea, but was just too much of an investment for me to care much about), but they never seem to stick. You can't have DC without Superman or Batman. It just doesn't work. There's nothing really wrong with that, I just don't like it much.

Hang on, let me see if I'm getting this right. You don't like Superman or Batman, but you don't think DC can exist without them? Even though the two characters did appear in some capacity in 52, I think the biggest accomplishment of that series was doing interesting things with minor heroes, and renewing reader interest in them. 52 was basically the launching point for the new Booster Gold series, if I'm remembering correctly, which has been doing well critically. And not just Booster Gold, but The Question, the former Elongated Man, the Marvel family, the Metal Men, Animal Man, Steel, Adam Strange, all pretty minor DC characters that they used wonderfully throughout that series. It wasn't just taking out Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, it was shifting the focus to other characters and telling a great story. (And as if to balance, the new weekly series, Trinity is coming which is focused on those three heroes.) It is an investment, but in my opinion, a very worthy investment.

And DC has done pretty major things with their characters over the years. It's just that recently Marvel did so much in their events that it looks like DC is unwilling to do anything interesting. But Batman R.I.P. is coming up, which is promising a big shake-up for Batman. And in the 90s Superman was killed and was replaced for a pretty significant run of issues. And he was depowered during 52, after all.

That reminds me, the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus came out about a year or so ago. A perfectly acceptable way to spend 70 dollars, if you have it (at least I think that's what I paid). It is a lot better than you might think, and I already thought it was going to be pretty good. But I thoroughly enjoyed it, and Steel became one of my favorite characters after reading it, even before his role in 52.

On a side note, yesterday when I went to the comic book shop I bought the Thor one-shot. I thought it was pretty good, and I might have to check out more of Thor, and definitely finish the story the one-shot started. Anyone have an opinion on the state of Thor lately? Is his current series worth getting into? I am genuinely interested in the character as well, if that's a factor.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2008, 08:49 »

The funny thing about 52 is, though enjoyable it was, all those characters? Booster is the only one who maintained any relevance after it was all said and done. The Question and Ralph Dibny were both killed (With Montoya replacing the former and quickly fading back into obscurity), the Metal Men were destroyed, Animal Man and Strange have both gone back to relative obscurity, the Marvel family has been effectively ruined by Countdown and World War III and I don't think Steel has even popped up since 52 finished.

One could hardly count Superman's depowerment for 52 as it ran concurrent with the abysmal One Year Later. Sure, he was depowered in 52, but within a two month span after losing his powers in Infinite Crisis (Which I feel is where DC really jumped the shark), they were back.

Just because they CAN tell a good story without the big three doesn't mean they're not essential. If you ditched the three of them, DC wouldn't have a single viable franchise anymore. They'd have some good stories, but sales would hit rock bottom pretty quick.

In terms of Superman's death, I believe it should be noted that that was quite obviously never meant to be permanent. He was only gone for about six months (A month of Funeral For a Friend and four or five of Reign of the Supermen). As far as Batman R.I.P. goes, well, the jury's out on that. Face the Face has really been the only enjoyable Batman story since the One Year Later jump.

I'd definitely recommend Thor. It's got nothing to do with the one-shot, but it's one of Marvel's best reads right now. I'd recommend picking up the Thor: Avengers Disassembled trade first, though. The Ragnarock story lends a lot of background and understanding to what's going on and it was very good, too.
JON MADE ME GAY

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2008, 09:07 »

Green Lantern's a pretty viable franchise away from the big three. And JSA (even though, okay, Kingdom Come Superman is in the current story arc). But I'm basically just saying that to be contentious. I definitely do see your point.

And even though Superman's death wasn't permanent. It was still a pretty big shake-up in the Superman universe, and was handled much better than many other comic book deaths and resurrections, in my opinion. And I think it's just fine that nothing that's quite as big as that has happened to Superman since, in my opinion too many big events just start to lose their meaning, (a lesson DC as a whole could learn, I suppose.)

And that's all I needed to hear, I'll definitely be checking out Thor, then. As soon as I get the money I'll probably buy the trade you recommend as well.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2008, 09:25 »

How could you call that a shake-up? When all was said and done, he was right back to status quo inside six months. That's not much of a shake-up.
JON MADE ME GAY

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2008, 09:33 »

I'm not necessarily speaking in terms of it has to change the character forever. Much of the time comic companies will return their characters to the status quo, especially DC. But it was a large, very entertaining and interesting event. I'm probably just using the wrong term. But it was an interesting thing they did with the character, even if he did get back to normal.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #15 on: 09 May 2008, 07:45 »

The funny thing about 52 is, though enjoyable it was, all those characters? Booster is the only one who maintained any relevance after it was all said and done. The Question and Ralph Dibny were both killed (With Montoya replacing the former and quickly fading back into obscurity), the Metal Men were destroyed, Animal Man and Strange have both gone back to relative obscurity, the Marvel family has been effectively ruined by Countdown and World War III and I don't think Steel has even popped up since 52 finished.

This is basically what I meant to say. Lots of investment, and Booster was the only real payoff (and, admittedly, a pretty good one). Ralph Dibny is one of my favorite DC characters, so that was a disappointing thing to me, so it made me less excited about what they were doing.

I didn't mean to imply that I dislike Batman and Superman, because some of the best comic stories I've ever read were about those two, but it takes an exceptional writer to do anything good with them anymore. That was my ill-made point.

And, I didn't mean to say that they actually made Iron Man a villain, but that was how a lot of people perceived him, and it was because of the choices they made regarding his character. I never thought he was acting out of character, and though I was on the anti-reg side, I understood what he was doing and respected him for standing up to Cap for it. Cause, seriously. Who stands up to Cap voluntarily? Tony Stark is the only one who really can. The rest of them, and I think Spider-Man is a good example of this, were only doing it out of fear of what the government might do to them, not because they actually believed it was right.

Also, guys, read Angel: After the Fall. It's awesome.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #16 on: 09 May 2008, 15:54 »

The best thing about the Death and Life of Superman was the Batman Cameo at the funeral.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2008, 18:17 »

Ninja Turtles.
Hate, rain on me

ravenjade

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2008, 19:55 »

The Dibny's are ghost detectives now. XD The Space Trio had their own mini with Forerunner, and I think all three of them are heading back out for Holy War before Starfire has to go back for Titans East. Steel? I think he might be in Infinity Inc.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2008, 21:06 »

The Question and Ralph Dibny were both killed (With Montoya replacing the former and quickly fading back into obscurity)

That reminds me, did any one read Crime Bible?  I heard it was fairly okay.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2008, 22:10 »

I didn't read Crime Bible, but I did pick up the first issue Rann-Thanagar Holy War on Wednesday, and it's actually piqued my interest. There's some 52 characters doing something.

Speaking of things I picked up Wednesday. Did anyone else read the first issue of House of Mystery? I thought it was fantastic.

volatile

« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2008, 04:19 »

I'm a Marvel girl, for a lot of the reasons that others have stated.  But also, I generally find their characters to be a bit more nuanced and real, and I love how they mix all over the place.

Also, I'm playing a lot of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance right now, and I love it.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #22 on: 31 May 2008, 14:34 »

So Final Crisis just started and it's looking to be pretty cool, though I have to say there wasn't really anything in the first issue that really wowed me that much (save for the big death, which mostly just made me sad.) R.I.P. is pretty good so far as well, though it hasn't been as fun to read for me in the first two issues as I was hoping.

Also, Obsessions, you were right, I've begun reading Thor and am enjoying it thoroughly.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #23 on: 01 Jun 2008, 11:14 »

I thought Final Crisis #1 was the absolute epitome of mediocrity. It just kind of crawled the whole time, the death was completely pointless and anticlimactic and there was really no hook. I'll consider getting the second issue and base my desire to stick around on that one, but a rather poor start.
JON MADE ME GAY

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #24 on: 01 Jun 2008, 11:54 »

Agreed. There was very little to get excited about in that first issue. None of the beginnings to the plot threads really got me all that interested, my favorite moment was probably the Darkseid beat, and that was just about it. The Question beat near the beginning somewhat annoyed me as well, but I think that may be more because of a slight continuity mistake in the art that jumped at me than anything else. Everything else was kind of forgettable. I realize I should be more interested in what Libra's trying to do, but I find myself not caring at the moment. And while the death was unexpected and shocking in a way, I will agree that it was anticlimactic and unneeded. I don't think that's any way to execute the death of such a big character, in any medium.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: 03 Jun 2008, 18:14 »

2000 AD.

No, seriously. When I was growing up, my only exposure to American comics was mainly through tv shows and movies, and Batman was the only character who ever really clicked with me: Batman: The Animated Series and Batman of the Future were really good, and the few Batman trade paperbacks I have are all good to really good, but really none of the characters from either DC or Marvel grabs me as much as, say, Halo Jones or Judge Dredd. I think it's mainly the fucking ridiculous costumes. I just can't look at someone like Green Lantern or Superman and not think 'what a twazzock'. Fair enough, many 2000 AD characters look bizarre, but it sticks just about enough tongue in cheek to justify it all. Apart from 2000 AD, most of the other comics I like are either British (including classic Warrior, Victor and Hotspur stuff from the 60's to the 80's) or, of course, Japanese. Hellsing is the only comic I've actually followed as it was published (via on-the-fly translated scans of Young King Ours), everything else I buy as trade paperbacks.

But seriously, 2000 AD

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

spidergland

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #26 on: 04 Jun 2008, 02:22 »

Oh hell yeah, Johnny Alpha was the man!

Personally I think DC are great for just reading once in a while, nothing too in-depth.  But I am all for talking more about 2000AD, that shit was the bomb.  I don't think I've read it since I was 15 but its all coming back to me now.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: 04 Jun 2008, 10:26 »

I got into 2000 AD after I read this book about the history of comics when I was 12. There was a full page reproduction of a classic 2000 AD cover (like, prog 70 or something) with Judge Dredd riding straight out of the picture on his Lawmaster, all guns firing, with other judges on Lawmasters and Pat-wagons following, all firing wildly, with the luridly printed caption 'JUDGE DREDD BRINGS LAW TO THE CURSED EARTH!'. I immediately went out and bought a Judge Dredd trade paperback, and the rest is history. I followed  it with the complete Ballad of Halo Jones (the best comic by a vastly famous comics writer that no one has ever read. Seriously, buy it now, it's incredible. I pray daily that one day Alan Moore will regain the rights to the character and complete the other promised seven issues chronicling Halo's entire life), and various Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper and ABC Warriors collections (I consider Dredd, Johnny Alpha and the Rogue Trooper to be the 'holy trinity' of 2000 AD).
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #28 on: 04 Jun 2008, 13:39 »

I have to go with DC just for the imprints, I don't read many comics, mostly just check out TPBs from the library, but Sandman and Top Ten are the two best I have read recently, one is vertigo, and one is America's best comics, imprint of Wildstorm, imprint of DC. I want to try to find some hellblazer TPBs and Watchmen (it got removed from my library a month or so before I wanted to check it out). But, like I said, I am not much of a comic person, so I don't really think about the labels.

edit: Oh, and the funeral in top ten making reference to how comic book deaths are never permanent scored it bonus points.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #29 on: 04 Jun 2008, 13:50 »

I personally like Marvel best. They've just got more heroes that I enjoy (X-Men, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Avengers, Ultimates, etc, etc), but I've got a soft spot for Superman and Batman from D.C.

spidergland

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #30 on: 05 Jun 2008, 02:10 »

yadda yadda 2000AD, yadda yadda Halo Jones rox

My dad used to have an old annual (1985 I think) that my brother and I always used to read, even before we really "got" it.  It introduced me to all the great writers/artists and it contains one of my favourite comic stories ever.  Its a short ABC Warriors title, Red Planet Blues, written by Alan Moore, drawn by Steve Dillon. Hunt it down!!

Halo Jones man, don't you think its been a bit too long?  I'm gladly all for it if it is Moore/Gibson, but I really can't see him making up with any publishers.

SailorPunk

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www.xanga.com/moonrose
« Reply #31 on: 05 Jun 2008, 10:00 »

i was raised a Marvel girl. my dad wouldn't even really allow DC in the house (and i got all my dad's old comics when my brother started reading robin - lol! so i own a box of marvel comics from the late 60s)

but recently a very good friend of mine asked me to babysit his comics while he's away for the summer (so his mom doesn't throw them out). they are mostly DC.

i'm really enjoying them. I'm working on "identity crisis" right now and it is amazing. heartbreaking and amazing.

i think i wll always be a marvel girl though.
...really polite and kind of squishy...

manu

• Not quite a lurker
  • New challenger approaching?! Nodoka <3
« Reply #32 on: 05 Jun 2008, 18:46 »

Marvel has Kick Ass, hence Marvel > DC

wait today is Thursday? doesn't matter try this book =]

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #33 on: 09 Jun 2008, 01:07 »

DC, because DC has Vertigo. Between Batman, Watchmen, Fables, Jack of Fables, and Sandman, I pledge my allegiance to DC. Sure, I'm probably going to be pissed by Batman: RIP, but I f'ing love a lot of the other storylines.

And man, I f'ing LOVE Fables.

Also, I think Marvel's characters are so gimmicky. I liked Spidey back with the old 90s cartoon (yeah, I still think Batman: The Animated Series is waaay better), but once I got a little older, I didn't really like him. I think I blame Tobey Maguire, because he is not my Spidey. X-Men is kind of cool, but that's about it.

As for DC being more fit for those interested in a utopia? Seriously, Gotham? A utopia? Gotham is about as noir as it gets without being Sin City. I'm probably biased because I totally love the Batvillains, but wow, yeah. Any place run by Carmine Falcone is not a utopia.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2008, 01:17 by laizeohbeets »

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #34 on: 09 Jun 2008, 07:05 »

Gotham is the exception that makes the rule. DC really is more a universe suited for optimists and people who want to view their heroes as paragons of justice and their villains as evil to the core, with no redeeming qualities EXCEPT in Gotham. Everything that is Batman related in DC generally screams Marvel's overall style and seems to completely juxtapose and contradict the rest of the DC Universe.

Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan, at least), etc... Pretty much all the big name DC heroes, other than Batman, are heroic archetype with really no character flaws. Every time someone tries to shoe horn one in (Wonder Woman snapping someone's neck on live TV, Hal Jordan going batshit and killing the entire GL Corps) results in huge fan outcry and eventual retcon. And you very rarely ever delve beyond the mask with DC titles. Everyone is a superhero first with a secret identity.

There are exceptions, but they almost always wind up in failure as I mentioned. The JLA "superbuddies" incarnation was fun and very flawed, but they've killed off almost all of them now. Hal Jordan's descent to madness was well played, but fans got so pissy about their hero being ruined, they eventually retconned it to mind control and shoved the more human and flawed Kyle Rayner off to a supporting role in another book.

Meanwhile, the absolute closest thing to a true well known "role model" archetype Marvel has is the Steve Rogers Captain America, who's dead no anyway.

Brunce Banner is a callow putz with split personalities, Peter Parker is a socially awkward nerd who makes a lot of stupid decisions, Tony Stark is an alcoholic, Punisher is absolutely batshit, Ant Man was an abusive husband. The new Captain America was an assassin for a long while. Meanwhile, many villains have many sympathetic qualities:

Magneto grew up in Auschwitz and fights for mutant superiority because he's scared shitless the same thing will happen to mutants. Dr. Doom is a megalomaniac who wants to rule the world because he legitimately believes the world would be better off that way (And if you look at Latveria, the kingdom he rules, they ARE happy). The Green Goblin was always a bit of a shrewd bastard, but his achilles heal (In the classic comics) was always his genuine caring for his son (The new Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon is the first cartoon to ever really get this right).

DC Heroes always save the day, I feel it takes some of the drama out of it. Marvel characters fuck up sometimes, though. Spider-Man's still haunted by being unable to save his first love's life. The X-Men had to kill one of their own teammates (And their field leader's fiance) to save the universe.

Neither universe is technically better, they're just very different in their general aim. DC is primarily a universe tailor made for people who want to read about gods amongst men who represent black and white ideals. Marvel's more one big gray area with more realistic and modern ideals.
JON MADE ME GAY

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jun 2008, 12:12 »

What about Hub City and The Question? I've been reading DC's 80s incarnation of The Question and it's darker and Hub City is a much more terrible place to live than Gotham has ever been made out to be. Not to mention that Vic Sage never cared that much about his "superhero" and regular identity. He just saw it as he could do whatever he wanted as The Question. The fact that Vic Sage is now dead is also pretty much irrelevant since we're just talking about the "universes" here and not current output.

Green Arrow in all of his best material, is a flawed character. He's a former happy-go-lucky billionaire vigilante who has lost everything in his life (and his literal life, coincidentally) but still continues his mission as Green Arrow. Not to mention he has troubled relationships with pretty much all of his children or surrogate children.

Something to consider about Marvel, however, is that I think almost all of the major Marvel characters were made initially to have the obvious flaws and blurred line between their secret and superhero identities as being already built into the character. The most obvious example of Marvel's general creation policy I think is The Hulk. Most of the character is built into the concept of a guy who turns into a superstrong raging monster when he gets angry. I think The Hulk is an overly simplistic character in design. And though Spider-Man and Iron Man and whatnot are more complex (and, in my opinion, just better as characters than The Hulk) I think the characters personalities were outlined long ago. Which isn't a bad thing, it's just something I've noticed.

DC on the other hand, almost all of its characters are much older. So much older that at the time of their creation the purpose of a superhero was much different (coincidentally, who is also from this era but Captain America? The most DC-ish character Marvel has). This is not to say that DC as a company has been resigned to not change their characters at all. However, with such old characters who have such strong legacies, they don't always meet with huge success. Batman is the biggest success story. And even though he's arguably the most capable hero in the DC universe, he's also the most flawed. Power and capability to meet with success has nothing to do with character flaws. Being hugely powerful can also be a source of drama in itself (All-Star Superman is I think a very successful incarnation of Superman while also being a version of the character more powerful than the current in-continuity version.) Green Arrow has been a big success, the character in the past decade or so has been unidentifiable when looking at the original version of the character.

Green Lantern is one of the biggest failures. Obsessions seems to be a little bit hung up on it. I understand to a certain extent but I also don't think that the silver-age version of Hal Jordan (which is essentially what Green Lantern has returned to) is a version of the character that's inherently terrible.

I would say more about The Flash and Wonder Woman but in truth I'm not as familiar with them. Aquaman, however, is an identifiable DC hero who has been just as flawed and successfully changed as characters like Green Arrow or Batman.

Basically, I don't subscribe to the idea that Marvel is inherently more dramatic than DC just because their characters have obvious failings. And I also don't believe for a second that the Marvel heroes on the whole are considerably more flawed than DC's.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2008, 12:15 by JediBendu »

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jun 2008, 13:14 »

I know we all hate quoting the post immediately above and all, but it's such a pain to target multiple points otherwise. It's not like I'm just block quoting here:

What about Hub City and The Question? I've been reading DC's 80s incarnation of The Question and it's darker and Hub City is a much more terrible place to live than Gotham has ever been made out to be. Not to mention that Vic Sage never cared that much about his "superhero" and regular identity. He just saw it as he could do whatever he wanted as The Question. The fact that Vic Sage is now dead is also pretty much irrelevant since we're just talking about the "universes" here and not current output.

Well, a big part of that is that The Question is NOT a DC created character. He was originally created for Charlton comics. Another funny coincidence? He was created by Steve Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man and an artist long associated with helping create and shape the Marvel Universe. Also, I never said that idolism was always the case with DC. In fact, I outright stated that there are exceptions. That doesn't detract from the fact that DC's "grim and gritty" characters are very deep exceptions outside the Batman niche (Especially now that Sage was killed and they've made Renee Montoya, a Gotham character, the new Question).

Green Arrow in all of his best material, is a flawed character. He's a former happy-go-lucky billionaire vigilante who has lost everything in his life (and his literal life, coincidentally) but still continues his mission as Green Arrow. Not to mention he has troubled relationships with pretty much all of his children or surrogate children.

Green Arrow is another one of those exceptions mentioned, although he wasn't always written that way. For the vast majority of his existence, he was a happy-go-lucky billionaire. He was essentially Batman minus the baggage. His newer persona didn't really crop up until the eighties, when DC was experimenting with a lot of darker themes (With exception to the drug drama they had with his sidekick).

Something to consider about Marvel, however, is that I think almost all of the major Marvel characters were made initially to have the obvious flaws and blurred line between their secret and superhero identities as being already built into the character. The most obvious example of Marvel's general creation policy I think is The Hulk. Most of the character is built into the concept of a guy who turns into a superstrong raging monster when he gets angry. I think The Hulk is an overly simplistic character in design. And though Spider-Man and Iron Man and whatnot are more complex (and, in my opinion, just better as characters than The Hulk) I think the characters personalities were outlined long ago. Which isn't a bad thing, it's just something I've noticed.

I fail to see your point there. Part of my point is that DC and Marvel have ALWAYS fallen under their perspective ideals. Stan Lee has outright stated that, when creating many of his characters, he specifically went out of the way to make them as relateable as possible, with inherent character flaws. That's how Marvel's worked since it hit the superhero age.

DC on the other hand, almost all of its characters are much older. So much older that at the time of their creation the purpose of a superhero was much different (coincidentally, who is also from this era but Captain America? The most DC-ish character Marvel has). This is not to say that DC as a company has been resigned to not change their characters at all. However, with such old characters who have such strong legacies, they don't always meet with huge success.

This is why I said neither is good or bad inherently, just differently styled. DC hit its notoriety in a more cheery and propaganda filled era. When the original incarnations of all of DC's superheroes came out, you had a much more naive, but happy society. In this era, people wanted something to strive to. That's the kind of superhero that was demanded. Marvel's big boost came at a time where folks had been dealing with propaganda for years (Including their own Captain America) and society was beginning to become more jaded. Lee, Kirby and Ditko created characters people could relate to, which was becoming more the feel of the age. Even the reboots of GL and the Flash weren't connecting, because they were still idealistic types who really could do no wrong. DC's experimented with some of this, but it's never taken off quite so well as Marvel.

One big thing on that is that whenever they create something in more the realistic and flawed mold, it completely grates against the legacy characters. Guys like Kyle Rayner or Ollie Queen tend to just look out of place against the likes of Superman and Wonder Woman. When Lee started working with the Marvel Universe, Captain America, the only real perfect Marvel hero, was completely off the table. You didn't have to hold them up to any standard, they were just people with powers. Then, by the time they got around to reintroducing Captain America, it was a completely different age. Suddenly, he was flawed in that he was a man completely out of his element (This is driven home a lot better in The Ultimates).

Batman is the biggest success story. And even though he's arguably the most capable hero in the DC universe, he's also the most flawed. Power and capability to meet with success has nothing to do with character flaws. Being hugely powerful can also be a source of drama in itself (All-Star Superman is I think a very successful incarnation of Superman while also being a version of the character more powerful than the current in-continuity version.) Green Arrow has been a big success, the character in the past decade or so has been unidentifiable when looking at the original version of the character.

Batman's always been at his most successful when he's off doing his own thing. As I implied before, he's kind of at odds with the rest of the DC Universe and the only time he really works well mixed in with them is when he's working against the metahumans (Such as Tower of Babel or Kingdom Come). I won't comment on All Star, as I never touched it (I hated All Star Batman, I don't like Grant Morrison or Frank Quitely, and I've never cared for Superman). Green Arrow, though, has NEVER been a "big success." In his early years, he was just another Batman archetype without the angst, then he was only able to support a title when paired with another mid-tier character at the time (Green Lantern), then he was completely removed from the DC universe for his most popular period in the eighties, then he was killed off and resurrected and relegated to supporting character (Even in his own title most of the time). To this day, he can't really support his own title without being part of something bigger.

Green Lantern is one of the biggest failures. Obsessions seems to be a little bit hung up on it. I understand to a certain extent but I also don't think that the silver-age version of Hal Jordan (which is essentially what Green Lantern has returned to) is a version of the character that's inherently terrible.

He's not terrible, but he's not entirely relateable either. I'm less concerned with the character himself than the way they've handled him overall. There was a period of about ten years where DC seemed to have their heads jammed firmly up their asses on what to do with him (The Parallax/Spectre period) and now they've seemingly just given up on trying to do anything new with him and just returned him to his classic persona. To be entirely fair, though, I have to give Geoff Johns credit. He manages to take a title with a lead I find inherently boring and make it one of the best titles DC puts out.

I would say more about The Flash and Wonder Woman but in truth I'm not as familiar with them. Aquaman, however, is an identifiable DC hero who has been just as flawed and successfully changed as characters like Green Arrow or Batman.

Depends on the incarnation and the era with Flash. Wonder Woman's generally been consistently Superman with a rack and a slightly more interesting personality. She's still pretty uninteresting, but they've developed an understandable and enjoyable character flaw of her misunderstanding the world due to her Amazon heritage (Though DC tends to constantly flip-flop on their portrayal of it). The Flash...well, it depends on the version. One thing he's always had going for him is a vague everyman feel (Whether you go with Allen, West or the other Allen, they just worked it different ways). Both long running (No pun intended) Flashes are among the very few superheroes where a spouse has worked and Wally West is really the only legacy character DC seemed to get right and stick with (Though if they keep Barry Allen around after Final Crisis, I will shit a brick). Aquaman, well, he's something of a clusterfuck. You might want to note that despite all the changes made to him in the early nineties, it was all essentially wiped away and then he was killed off anyway. Beyond that, most of his identifiability has always been as the butt of a joke.

Basically, I don't subscribe to the idea that Marvel is inherently more dramatic than DC just because their characters have obvious failings. And I also don't believe for a second that the Marvel heroes on the whole are considerably more flawed than DC's.

More dramatic? No. Drama is subjective. More relateable? Also subjective, but considering the characters' extremes, it's kind of hard to argue that DC's flagship characters (An idealistic boyscout, a billionaire whose parents were gunned down and a Amazon) are more relateable than Marvel's...which actually leads me to another point I don't think I've ever considered:

Marvel doesn't HAVE a flagship set of heroes. For the last decade, Marvel's been experimenting with shifting the focus to different characters and revitalizing them. It's kind of hard to pick out who's the big guns anymore.

Anyway, on the latter part. I don't understand how you can argue that Marvel's heroes aren't more humanistically flawed than DC's. Either you've never read much Marvel or you've got a funny definition of character flaws.
JON MADE ME GAY

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #37 on: 13 Jun 2008, 13:45 »

Well, a big part of that is that The Question is NOT a DC created character. He was originally created for Charlton comics. Another funny coincidence? He was created by Steve Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man and an artist long associated with helping create and shape the Marvel Universe. Also, I never said that idolism was always the case with DC. In fact, I outright stated that there are exceptions. That doesn't detract from the fact that DC's "grim and gritty" characters are very deep exceptions outside the Batman niche (Especially now that Sage was killed and they've made Renee Montoya, a Gotham character, the new Question).

I disagree, The Question was changed considerably from his Charlton comics incarnation. The first order of business in the 80s series was basically to metaphorically kill the old Question and erect a new one in his place.

Green Arrow is another one of those exceptions mentioned, although he wasn't always written that way. For the vast majority of his existence, he was a happy-go-lucky billionaire. He was essentially Batman minus the baggage. His newer persona didn't really crop up until the eighties, when DC was experimenting with a lot of darker themes (With exception to the drug drama they had with his sidekick).

I realize perfectly well that he wasn't always the way he is now, I think you're misunderstanding my point about Green Arrow, but I'll get to that again later.

I fail to see your point there. Part of my point is that DC and Marvel have ALWAYS fallen under their perspective ideals. Stan Lee has outright stated that, when creating many of his characters, he specifically went out of the way to make them as relateable as possible, with inherent character flaws. That's how Marvel's worked since it hit the superhero age.

I actually wasn't making too much of a point with that, just stating some observations about Marvel's character creation, and why I think it doesn't always work. In the case of The Hulk I think we have too simplistic a character design, just like you think Superman is too simplistic a character. Not only that but I think a good chunk of the X-Men are far too simplistic. Wolverine is basically a 90s cliché to me and not much else.

This is why I said neither is good or bad inherently, just differently styled. DC hit its notoriety in a more cheery and propaganda filled era. When the original incarnations of all of DC's superheroes came out, you had a much more naive, but happy society. In this era, people wanted something to strive to. That's the kind of superhero that was demanded. Marvel's big boost came at a time where folks had been dealing with propaganda for years (Including their own Captain America) and society was beginning to become more jaded. Lee, Kirby and Ditko created characters people could relate to, which was becoming more the feel of the age. Even the reboots of GL and the Flash weren't connecting, because they were still idealistic types who really could do no wrong. DC's experimented with some of this, but it's never taken off quite so well as Marvel.

I don't disagree. But my point is that I think both houses have been successful with what the other does at times. I don't see either of them as one-note.

One big thing on that is that whenever they create something in more the realistic and flawed mold, it completely grates against the legacy characters. Guys like Kyle Rayner or Ollie Queen tend to just look out of place against the likes of Superman and Wonder Woman. When Lee started working with the Marvel Universe, Captain America, the only real perfect Marvel hero, was completely off the table. You didn't have to hold them up to any standard, they were just people with powers. Then, by the time they got around to reintroducing Captain America, it was a completely different age. Suddenly, he was flawed in that he was a man completely out of his element (This is driven home a lot better in The Ultimates).

Not disagreeing, they successfully rebooted their character, any publisher is capable of doing that.

Batman's always been at his most successful when he's off doing his own thing. As I implied before, he's kind of at odds with the rest of the DC Universe and the only time he really works well mixed in with them is when he's working against the metahumans (Such as Tower of Babel or Kingdom Come). I won't comment on All Star, as I never touched it (I hated All Star Batman, I don't like Grant Morrison or Frank Quitely, and I've never cared for Superman). Green Arrow, though, has NEVER been a "big success." In his early years, he was just another Batman archetype without the angst, then he was only able to support a title when paired with another mid-tier character at the time (Green Lantern), then he was completely removed from the DC universe for his most popular period in the eighties, then he was killed off and resurrected and relegated to supporting character (Even in his own title most of the time). To this day, he can't really support his own title without being part of something bigger.

You misinterpret what I say when I say big success. When I say big success I mean creatively, in terms of being able to successfully reboot and reinvent their characters. You're thinking too much in terms of what's the most popular or who's the most important character in the overall continuity. And as I said, I know perfectly well how Green Arrow started out, the success is in how they were able to change him and make it stick well.

He's not terrible, but he's not entirely relateable either. I'm less concerned with the character himself than the way they've handled him overall. There was a period of about ten years where DC seemed to have their heads jammed firmly up their asses on what to do with him (The Parallax/Spectre period) and now they've seemingly just given up on trying to do anything new with him and just returned him to his classic persona. To be entirely fair, though, I have to give Geoff Johns credit. He manages to take a title with a lead I find inherently boring and make it one of the best titles DC puts out.

Agreed. I enjoy the Green Lantern title currently and can't bring myself to hold any kind of grudge against Hal Jordan.

Depends on the incarnation and the era with Flash. Wonder Woman's generally been consistently Superman with a rack and a slightly more interesting personality. She's still pretty uninteresting, but they've developed an understandable and enjoyable character flaw of her misunderstanding the world due to her Amazon heritage (Though DC tends to constantly flip-flop on their portrayal of it). The Flash...well, it depends on the version. One thing he's always had going for him is a vague everyman feel (Whether you go with Allen, West or the other Allen, they just worked it different ways). Both long running (No pun intended) Flashes are among the very few superheroes where a spouse has worked and Wally West is really the only legacy character DC seemed to get right and stick with (Though if they keep Barry Allen around after Final Crisis, I will shit a brick). Aquaman, well, he's something of a clusterfuck. You might want to note that despite all the changes made to him in the early nineties, it was all essentially wiped away and then he was killed off anyway. Beyond that, most of his identifiability has always been as the butt of a joke.

I'm unfamiliar with the new Aquaman, but I really liked the first one and think he went through a successful change. But he's one of the characters who was wonderfully portrayed in the DCAU and somewhat overshadowed the comics version creatively.

More dramatic? No. Drama is subjective. More relateable? Also subjective, but considering the characters' extremes, it's kind of hard to argue that DC's flagship characters (An idealistic boyscout, a billionaire whose parents were gunned down and a Amazon) are more relateable than Marvel's...which actually leads me to another point I don't think I've ever considered:

Marvel doesn't HAVE a flagship set of heroes. For the last decade, Marvel's been experimenting with shifting the focus to different characters and revitalizing them. It's kind of hard to pick out who's the big guns anymore.

Anyway, on the latter part. I don't understand how you can argue that Marvel's heroes aren't more humanistically flawed than DC's. Either you've never read much Marvel or you've got a funny definition of character flaws.

I didn't say they aren't more flawed. I said I don't think they're "considerably more flawed." Which basically means I don't think it's as big a difference as you may think it is.

These conversations just always cry out to me that DC is unfairly criticized for the existence of one character, Superman. And Superman has proven time and time again that his material is most creatively successful when he really is "Super."

DC=/=Superman.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2008, 13:51 by JediBendu »
Pages: [1]   Go Up