THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 05:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The New Music Discovery Thread.  (Read 15817 times)

PassiveTheory

Re: The New Music Discovery Thread.
« Reply #50 on: 16 Mar 2008, 20:20 »

Hercules and Love Affair - s/t (2008)

Okay, so I havent had the chance to catch up on some new music for a while, but here it is. Granted, these guys got a 9.1 in Pitchfork recently, so many of you are probably going to steer clear of it. That shouldn't be the case. Give this new DFA group a chance, people! They may have very well topped Hot Chip as having made the best dance record of the year!...

...Okay, maybe that is a stretch, but I'll be damned if you don't get the chorus from "You Belong" or "Hercules' Theme" stuck in your head. The entire record is insanely groovy, a given since (again) it is a DFA effort and, as such, has all sorts of DFA prints over the record (co-produced by Tim Goldsworthy, bass by Tyler Pope (!!!), etc.). Basically the record sounds like part New Order, part 1980's Roxy Music, and all sorts of fucking crazy. I mean the opening part to "You Belong" sounds almost exactly like "Confusion" by NO.

But, moving away from 80s dance music comparisons, the record has a plethora of standout tracks: "You Belong", "Hercules' Theme", the single "Blind", and my personal favorite "Raise Me Up". Definitely pick up this record, it is the perfect mix of dance and electro music in this day and age. Also, Anthony Hegarty (Anthony and the Johnsons)'s vocals are fucking amazing.

PassiveTheory

« Reply #51 on: 04 Jun 2008, 15:59 »

Alright, I had 20 minutes before class so... what the fuck, why not necropost a little?

Why? - Alopecia (2008)

This is the first Why? album I've ever heard of, and fuck... Upon listening to it all the way through (I've listened to "By Torpedos or Crohns" and "Song of the Sad Assassin" a few times before I sat down to listen to the whole record) it's just a fucking brilliant record. Yoni's lyrics are sometimes hard to read in (despite his very upfront and unassuming vocal delivery), but it seems like the majority of the album focuses on the end of cLOUDDEAD and his split from the other members, and there's a lot of death on the album. It's pretty fucking deep, IMO, and fans of the other Anticon releases featuring Yoni will dig this, I think. But yeah, definitely my two favorite tracks on the album are the ones I listed above, but "A Sky For Shoeing Horses Under", "The Hollows" and "These Few Presidents" are also fucking amazing tracks, "Good Frida" especially. This is quickly becoming one of my top 10 records of 2008. I suggest you go out and get it NOW.

And... continuing the somewhat indie-rap-ish theme of this post...

dan le sac vs. Scroobius Pip
- Angles (2008)

Yeah, this is my 4th or 5th favorite record of this year (Portishead, Hot Chip and a few others are at the top). You probably wont have heard of either member of this DJ/Rapper duo, but yeah... They've basically cultivated a following on Myspace, which is cliche, but their sound (despite Scroob's delivery sounding a bit like the Streets) is anything but cliche. One of the best tracks on the record uses Radiohead's "Planet Telex" as the backing beat to an apology letter spoken by Scroob as though delivered by god himself ("A Letter From God to Man"). The album starts with Scroobius reading some spoken word before launching into the love-angst-conflicted tune "The Beat That My Heart Skipped" which is followed by "Development" and the anxiety-and-awkward "are we falling out of love?" tune "Look for the Woman". Skip over and listen to "Tommy C" where Scroob raps about a comedian who died on-stage doing what he loved, and that is beautiful. "Fixed" is a bullet inAfte the heart of British hip-hop, and "Angles" is a hard track to swallow, but it's where Scroob is at his most versatile; he takes the point of view of 5 different people involved in a murder and a suicide but it's a fucking amazing track. After the previously mentioned "Letter" comes "Magician's Assistant" which is basically, in my mind, a better anti-suicide song than "Everybody Hurts". Skip over "Back from Hell" and then comes the best part of the album: it's ending. The last 3 songs are incredible. "Thou Shalt Always Kill" is definitely one of the best songs of 2008, "Waiting for the Beat To Kick In" is an amazing story rhyme, and the closing track is just this simply beautiful love song. A marvelous album, and probably the best hip-hop record of 2008. Enjoy!

idiosyncraticadrummer

« Reply #52 on: 10 Jun 2008, 11:42 »

Obviously,
FIGHT TEST EP--The Flaming Lips

PassiveTheory

« Reply #53 on: 10 Jun 2008, 11:43 »

Isn't that thing 5 years old now?

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #54 on: 10 Jun 2008, 11:56 »

First I thought "it can't possibly have been that long."

Then I thought "google will solve this problem."

Then I thought "June 23rd, 2003. It will be exactly 5 years old in less then 2 weeks."

Then I thought "Shit, I'm getting old."
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Akeboshi

• Plantmonster
« Reply #55 on: 10 Jun 2008, 13:32 »

Hey PassiveTheory, mind if I chime in with a few?

PassiveTheory

« Reply #56 on: 10 Jun 2008, 14:27 »

Sure, go ahead.

Akeboshi

• Plantmonster
« Reply #57 on: 10 Jun 2008, 17:09 »

Les Poissons Rouges - Nashvegas (2006)
This is the debut EP from a small group of guys down in New Orleans.  It stands out to me as an incredibly sincere, fun southern rock album.  Overall the album's feel is slow and smooth, but the pace and emotion vary from song to song.  "The Road Where I Was Born" is a reflection on the lead singer's life growing up in the south.  It tells a youthful tale with elements of nostalgia, regret, and hope.  "Oh, Alabama" is a quick-paced song about living in a place that only seems to hold you back and yearning to run as far and as fast as you can.  This is my favorite song on the album because of the encouraging lyrics and the old, southern blues piano tearing up the foreground.  It's hard to explain this album.  It's the kind of album you want to make burgers with friends and sit outside on a cool evening to.  It's the kind of album that makes everyone feel good on a long drive.  If you're into a more southern influenced, laid-back sound, give these guys a try.

The Delgados - Hate (2003)
The Delgados are a now dispersed indie-rock band from the UK.  They were well-known for their use of minor keys and deliberately awkward syncopation.  "Hate" is an emotional, volatile, dark album dealing with several topics such as abortion, drug abuse, and the monotony of life.  I can't say I'd recommend this to everyone, simply because it's not an overly happy album (hence it's title).  That's not to say however that it is bleak and without hope, for there are a few songs scattered across the album that attempt to shake the listener out of apathy and lift the spirits.  Some of the better darker songs include "Child Killers", "Coming in From the Cold", and "All You Need is Hate", that last song being a satirical look on society and its views of hatred.  The true gems of this album are the uplifting "The Light Before We Land" (used as an opening theme for season one of the anime Gunslinger Girl) and the haunting "Woke From Dreaming".  The lyrics are well placed and well timed, and the music does what it does very well.  If you're interested in something a bit moodier, then give "Hate" a listen.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #58 on: 10 Jun 2008, 17:25 »

Hate really is great but Peloton will always be their absolute masterpiece for me. It's one of the greatest albums of the nineties and definitely the best thing to come from the UK in that period. Achingly beautiful music, after that it took me years to finally come around to liking The Great Eastern and Hate since they were so terribly overshadowed. Emma Pollock's solo work is also pretty decent and Paul Savage drums for her, and I'm sure their bassist Stewart Henderson tours with Malcolm Middleton these days. I'm glad they're still about doing stuff.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

PassiveTheory

« Reply #59 on: 10 Jun 2008, 17:58 »

I think I'm going to check out Les Poissons Rouges (I think their name could very well be a pseudonym for Red Herrings, since it literally translates to Red Fishes and what-not) but I have another review:

Fleet Foxes - s/t (2008)

Holy hell, what is it with the self-titled debuts this year that make for such FUCKING GREAT records? Hercules and Love Affair, Grand Archives, Vampire Weekend... It's a really crazy trend. But yeah, onto this album. Honestly? I skip the first track most of the time and go straight to the hypnotic song that got me hooked on the album in the first place. "White Winter Hymnal" is going to be one of the best songs of 2008, it's just so fucking beautiful and innocent. Sounding like like a Beach Boys song if Grizzly Bear or My Morning Jacket had written it, it's just this revolving harmonic gift to your ears. The guitar on the song has a definite Shins tinge to it also. "Ragged Wood" feels like a good natured country romp through the wood and will get you "oooohh"-ing along. "Tiger Mountain Peasent Song" is very Simon and Garfunkel in it's orchestration and performance. "Quiet Houses" is another My Morning Jacket-ish song, but I usually skip it over to the 2nd best track on the album; "He Doesn't Know Why". SUCH A GOOD SONG. Man. I really like this album. The rest of the album is also very beautiful and you should discover it for yourself!

Akeboshi

• Plantmonster
« Reply #60 on: 10 Jun 2008, 20:21 »

I think I'm going to check out Les Poissons Rouges (I think their name could very well be a pseudonym for Red Herrings, since it literally translates to Red Fishes and what-not) but I have another review:

Yes, it translates to The Red Fish.

PassiveTheory

« Reply #61 on: 11 Jun 2008, 16:39 »

Since we're pretty much at the halfway point of the year, here's my top 20 records of 2008:

1. Portishead - Third
2. Hot Chip - Made In The Dark
3. Vampire Weekend - s/t
4. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
5. dan le sac vs. Scroobius Pip - Angles
6. Fleet Foxes - s/t
7. Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
8. Hercules and Love Affair - s/t
9. Grand Archives - s/t
10. Coldplay - Viva La Vida
11. Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
12. Why? - Alopecia
13. Grand Ole Party - Humanimals
14. Spiritualized - Songs in A & E
15. R.E.M. - Accelerate
16. The Helio Sequence - Keep Your Eyes Ahead
17. Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
18. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
19. Trifonic - Emergence
20. Stephen Malkmus - Real Emotional Trash
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up