THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 02:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: So, details about the New Sigur Ros album are finally out..  (Read 14743 times)

byebyepanda

• Emoticontraindication
  • do a barrel roll!

^niiiiiiiiiiiiiiceeeeee!

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout

I'm digging what I'm hearing!  I can't wait until it comes out.  I only listened to the first few songs, because I stepped out of my room, but the second song was pretty awesome.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock

That third track is pretty freaking boring. And not even the interesting sort of "boring," like ().

"Festival" is a good track, though, and the one after it. I'm still working my way through the rest of the album.

EDIT: Okay, seventh track got pretty boring for a while too. And the tenth track almost seems like droning filler? Am I just missing a bunch of stuff because I haven't got headphones on or what? So far I'm not terribly impressed with most of the album, except for "Gobbledigook" it seems like more of the same, really. Even the track in English doesn't change things up much. And I think I prefer Takk...
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2008, 11:49 by imagist42 »
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor

You've listened to it, what, once? And a cursory listen, with a low-quality streaming version. Really not grounds for such all-encompassing judgement.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

imagist42

"All-encompassing"? Please tell me how "Am I missing a bunch of stuff?" and "So far I'm not terribly impressed" qualify as all-encompassing, at least any more so than Wombat claiming in the Top of 2008 thread that it's the "best thing he's heard all year" and it "easily trumps everything else" in 2008, given the same cursory experience.

Look, I'm just saying most of the tracks are good at best, and none of them really grab you and scream "I'm Sigur Rós taking a new turn!" like Gobbledigook did. Not what I'd call "spectacular," per se; just a par release for the Sigur Rós course. I will probably come to like this album just as much as any of their others, no more, no less. Anyone who was expecting them to go completely crazy and change their entire sound based on the one single will probably be just a little disappointed is all.
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2008, 17:09 by imagist42 »
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor

It was kind of the "I think I prefer Takk" that irked me a bit. That could well still hold when you've heard and absorbed the forthcoming album, but I don't think a person can really compare an album that's been listened to, delved into and analyzed numerous times with one that only a rough version has been heard of.

Didn't mean to come off overly harsh. Sorry.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

imagist42

Nah, it's all right. I just remember when I first heard Takk (the first time I ever heard of Sigur Rós) and was immediately engrossed with it, with the beauty of the overall sound of the album. It took some time for me to really appreciate their other albums for what they were, and it will probably be the same with this one, while I still love every second of Takk just the same as I ever did. That's all I meant by the comment; I didn't mean to imply some professional criticism on the quality of one versus the other, sorry.

That said, "Festival" is a pretty goddamn cool track. Right now I'm digging it along with Gobbledigook, and the second and sixth tracks (search me if I can retype their names) fall close behind.
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2008, 20:57 by imagist42 »

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

What you said is definitely valid. I'm prone to hyperbole. I've been waiting for this a long time and was excited to see my fears about how it would sound were unfounded. Like you, I made my judgment based upon a cursory listen. I tend to do that these days but I still think what I've heard is terrific and I don't really think it's a typical SR album. To be fair though, I did say it trumps the rest of the albums on my personal list of my favorite albums thus far, not that it absolutely trumps every other release this year and I also said it was probably the best thing I'd heard, not absolutely the best.
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2008, 22:47 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

imagist42

Right. I don't think anyone can say anything absolute about the album yet. Because, see, I said the third track is boring? And now I'm thinking I must have been smoking something because it's actually pretty cool. But the seventh and tenth tracks (and, to a lesser extent, the track in English) still make me fall asleep.

tigrar

• Plantmonster

I was able to get a hard copy of it at Bonnaroo because they released it there.  I have been listening to it since.  The show was the best night of my life as well.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home

I've listened to the new album a few times on Last.fm, and my word is it a masterpiece.

I love it, I need to have it as soon as it gets released.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up