THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who will be the villian in the next Batman movie?

The Joker (again)
- 2 (2.7%)
The Mob
- 2 (2.7%)
Poison Ivy
- 0 (0%)
Catwoman
- 8 (10.7%)
Ra's al Ghul and the League of Assassins
- 1 (1.3%)
Bane
- 5 (6.7%)
Clayface
- 4 (5.3%)
Firefly
- 1 (1.3%)
Harleyquinn
- 4 (5.3%)
The Mad Hatter
- 3 (4%)
Man-Bat
- 1 (1.3%)
Mr. Freeze
- 3 (4%)
The Penguin
- 8 (10.7%)
The Riddler
- 18 (24%)
The Scarecrow
- 4 (5.3%)
Ventriloquist and Scarface
- 5 (6.7%)
Other (Let me know if you want me to add someone to the poll)
- 6 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dark Knight (SPOILERS START ON PAGE 3)  (Read 153000 times)

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
Re: New Dark Knight trailer
« Reply #50 on: 20 Jun 2008, 09:52 »

^^  Actually, he has used it.  When Supes was under Poison Ivy's influence.

Yeah, Batman kicks the shit out of Superman on a regular basis, just to keep the illegal alien in line.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Snarf

« Reply #51 on: 20 Jun 2008, 09:55 »

See, Batman cheat.  If he no have Kryptonite, Superman squish him with little finger.

Betagold

• Emoticontraindication
  • THERE WILL BE NO EGGS OF ANY KIND!!
« Reply #52 on: 20 Jun 2008, 11:00 »

Well, if Superman didn't have superpowers, then Batman would squish him with his little finger.  Which is what Kryptonite does to Superman, takes away his superpowers.  Batman isn't cheating, he's evening the playing field.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #53 on: 20 Jun 2008, 16:27 »

Out of all of DC's heroes  Batman was the only one I could ever get into in the 80s - I was more of a Micronauts fan...

But, if they had to do a Batman multi movie arc, my choice would be The Cult.  That was a damned scary miniseries.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #54 on: 21 Jun 2008, 22:24 »

See, Batman cheat.  If he no have Kryptonite, Superman squish him with little finger.
So basically, if someone doesn't use something that will defeat him, superman will win? Hey, if superman doesn't use something that would defeat batman, batman would win.

Oh, and get out the fire-based weapons, I smell a troll.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #55 on: 22 Jun 2008, 21:41 »

Man, read Tower of Babel.

Batman has so many ways of kicking Superman's boy scout ass.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #56 on: 23 Jun 2008, 05:19 »

My preference is still the method used in "The Dark Knight Returns"
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #57 on: 23 Jun 2008, 10:00 »

That was when he used, like, big ol' solid kryptonite boxing gloves, right?

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #58 on: 23 Jun 2008, 10:53 »

No, he gave an arrow made of synthetic kyrptonite to Green Arrow, who shot the big blue boy scout, allowing an elderly Batman to whale three kinds of hell out of Superman. 

The comic came out either in the late '80s, and may be hard to find now.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #59 on: 23 Jun 2008, 11:02 »

I can't imagine Dark Knight Returns being all that hard to find. It's one of the biggest and most widely recognized Batman comics of all time.

It also sounds to me that De_El is at least passingly familiar with it. The kryptonite boxing gloves was a scene from the 2001 sequel, Dark Knight Strikes Again.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #60 on: 23 Jun 2008, 11:27 »

I've read 'em both. Like the first better, obv. I just mixed 'em up is all.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #61 on: 02 Jul 2008, 12:36 »

God damn it, I need to see this movie now!

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #62 on: 02 Jul 2008, 19:05 »

New Dark Knight trailer right here.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #63 on: 03 Jul 2008, 23:41 »

Man I don't even want to watch the trailers any more. It's like, I'm not afraid of being spoilt in the normal sense, but I think the experience will be more fulfilling if I don't already have all kinds of lines and scenes rolling around my head.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #64 on: 04 Jul 2008, 07:20 »

Two more weeks!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #65 on: 07 Jul 2008, 12:22 »

You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #66 on: 07 Jul 2008, 12:42 »

Sheer brilliance.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #67 on: 07 Jul 2008, 12:52 »

that is fucking genius.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #68 on: 07 Jul 2008, 17:01 »

Shared on Facebook!

gargoylekitty

« Reply #69 on: 09 Jul 2008, 01:38 »

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #70 on: 09 Jul 2008, 06:29 »

The Dark Knight's script!

(By Michael Bay)

Awesome! I think my favourite bit was "An American flag (CGI)".

Though, having said that . . .

WE HACK THE INTERNET

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #71 on: 09 Jul 2008, 06:51 »

But which one of the internets do we hack?
JON MADE ME GAY

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #72 on: 09 Jul 2008, 06:55 »

ALL OF THEM.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #73 on: 09 Jul 2008, 06:59 »

My word!
JON MADE ME GAY

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #74 on: 09 Jul 2008, 13:28 »

Ok so most of this has been seen in the various trailers to date, but how do you fancy seeing 56 WHOLE SECONDS of the Dark Knight?
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #75 on: 09 Jul 2008, 14:05 »

Man, Heath Ledger is nowhere in that clip.

There's only The Joker.

It's insane.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #76 on: 09 Jul 2008, 14:12 »

must...not....watch....clip....

EDIT: okay, so i'm at work and i just went out for a smoke break and found that someone had taken a Joker from a deck of cards and placed it under my windshield wiper. really weird because i can see my car from my desk and no one has been by, not even in a car. it's been completely dead here. i guess there's a chance it's been there for a while and i just didn't notice it but i kind of doubt it.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2008, 14:25 by Scandanavian War Machine »
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #77 on: 09 Jul 2008, 15:00 »

So much yay.  I think I have a split lip from smiling so hard.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #78 on: 09 Jul 2008, 15:40 »

Holy........crap.  That was possibly the greatest thing I've seen this entire year.  I was checking my Gmail today and one of those stupid little google info ad thingies was all like "Heath Ledger to be given Oscar Nomination?" It was either Gmail or MSN.....either way.  Wow that was intense.  He doesn't even DO anything and I was frightened...that was great.

gargoylekitty

« Reply #79 on: 10 Jul 2008, 01:18 »

Well... there is the first 6 minutes of the movie that have been online since December.
http://www.dailymotion.com/waldo05/video/x62t25_my-big-fat-sisters-wedding_news

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #80 on: 10 Jul 2008, 07:19 »

must...not....watch....clip....

EDIT: okay, so i'm at work and i just went out for a smoke break and found that someone had taken a Joker from a deck of cards and placed it under my windshield wiper. really weird because i can see my car from my desk and no one has been by, not even in a car. it's been completely dead here. i guess there's a chance it's been there for a while and i just didn't notice it but i kind of doubt it.

Y SO SRYS

i'm going to try and avoid like hell that little leak. i'm already starting to think about what batman tres might hold in store (is it too lame to use Hush as a basic storyline? would you rather they write a new one from scratch?)(this is all based on if two-face gets wrapped up in this movie or not)

edit again : clayface as the villian would be so dope, if they could make it look realistic enough...too much CGI would ruin a Batman movie, imo
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2008, 08:32 by johnny5 »

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #81 on: 10 Jul 2008, 08:59 »

Clayface wouldn't likely happen. Nolan has made it explicitly clear that he is not a fan of CG. Clayface, while awesome in the cartoon, was also always a villain who kind of pulled Batman out of the reality of it. Nolan's made mention that his favorite thing about Batman is that he's pretty grounded in reality. I figure they'll be avoiding the superpowered villains like Clayface, Man-Bat and the like.

Hush would be workable, but I doubt we'll see that one in action. It was a pretty complicated storyline and it really wasn't all that good to begin with.

If they do a third movie, I'd expect someone more along the lines of maybe Catwoman, the Riddler or maybe even the Mad Hatter. Even Bane would be a possibility (And an interesting one, at that). Judging by the dark tone of the series and the more realistic portrayals, I think Mad Hatter can be effectively written off, as he's rather goofy. Riddler's a possibility, as he's easier to write with less camp. I expect we'll see a Frank Miller style Catwoman in the third installment (A prostitute who gets a kick out of Batman and decides to resort to theft).

Unfortunately, as good as Nolan's been, his style and vision is pretty limiting when it comes to Batman's rogues gallery. If he continues to refuse to stray from his mafioso, grim and gritty M.O., then he's going to run out of possibilities really quick unless he majorly reworks some villains. Let's run through the Batman rogues:

Scarecrow, Ra's, Joker and Two Face will have been covered by the end of this one.

Poison Ivy, outside of her plant schtick, would be effectively pointless. The only other role she serves is as a seductress, which Catwoman covers better. Not likely.

Bane is VERY easily reworkable to suit Nolan's purposes. Let's ignore the Bane that showed up in Batman & Robin, shall we? They fucked him up but good. The real Bane was one of the smartest and most intimidating villains Batman ever faced. He organized a massive breakout of Arkham in order to wear Batman down. Once Bats was at the end of his rope, Bane broke into Wayne Manor, beat the piss out of Alfred then savagely beat Batman and broke his back. Sure, he was super strong, but run an angle of him just being a heavily trained mercenary with crime lord ambitions and you're golden. Very feasible.

Mr. Freeze, like Poison Ivy, doesn't really work outside his schtick. This is tragic, considering the BTAS Freeze was incredibly well done.

The Penguin is doable. Lose Burton's circus act crap and turn him into the affluent, high society criminal he was in the cartoon and comics and he writes himself. Get a relative unknown in there and he could be gold.

Clayface I've covered. Too much CGI, too unrealistic to suit Nolan's vision.

Killer Croc is a two dimensional bruiser. He'd be fun in a one off role of just being a nickname for a generic mob enforcer, but otherwise of no use.

Scarface is realistic and very intriguing, but I'd be concerned about the audience taking him seriously. If they got him just right, he could be perfect, but otherwise risky. If they set him up right at the beginning to do something particularly heinous, Scarface and the Ventriloquist could make for an excellent tragic story.

Riddler could be made to be more menacing, but it's an uphill battle. If they portrayed him as an obsessive compulsive, it could work out really well.

Most anyone else is either too obscure (Lady Shiva), too generic (Black Mask) or too similar to/derivative of another villain (Harley Quinn) to be workable.

Running through the list, Catwoman, Riddler, Scarface and Bane would be the best and most likely candidates with little tooling necessary.
JON MADE ME GAY

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #82 on: 10 Jul 2008, 09:15 »

you're totally right. nolan does take characters and tries his best to root them in reality. bane as a mercenary who's bulked up on juice could be played by roger clemons (jk). the most encouraging thing i've heard about TDK is that above all else, it's an excellent detective/crime drama, so i assume nolan will want to continue in that vein.

i threw clayface out there because the fact that he can change forms and thus would be/should be very hard for batman to track down and figure out who is actually who (let's lose the weakness to water, and have him impersonate jim gordon, rachael dawes...lucius fox...daaaaamn)

riddler would be good, without the green suit that reminds me of that guy from the infomercials. if his clues were a lot more savage and ruthless (maybe throw in a bit of a se7en feel in there, leaving clues with victims, etc) that might be the best option.

honestly catwoman as villian might be the worst option as far as the well known villians could go. she never really commited crimes horrible enough to command the title villian role in a movie.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #83 on: 10 Jul 2008, 09:19 »

riddler would be good, without the green suit that reminds me of that guy from the infomercials. if his clues were a lot more savage and ruthless (maybe throw in a bit of a se7en feel in there, leaving clues with victims, etc) that might be the best option.

this, and Jon's Bane sound the best to me so far.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #84 on: 10 Jul 2008, 09:22 »

Title role, no. Then again, she's NEVER been used that way. She's always been used as more of a foil for Batman. Someone to just kind of fuck his day up a little bit and be a bit of a pain in his ass. She'd definitely have to be a supporting character, but she excels in that role and would be easily done.

And I would absolutely love to see Bane, yeah. Just the effect of seeing the "Break you" scene would be bitchin'.

I stand by my belief that Scarface, if done right, would probably make for the most interesting story in a self contained flick.

Edit: You know what? I take it back. Scarface would work well as a supporting villain and a great subplot (Kind of like Sandman in Spider-Man, though he was about the ONLY redeeming factor there). He's simply not someone who would translate well to the teaser trailer lifestyle. I can't imagine anyone seeing him in a trailer and being all "Oh, fuck everything, I has got to see this shit!"

Bane, on the other hand, is tailor made for a trailer. Intercut the teaser with shots of the Arkham breakout and a Bane voiceover, detailing how he plans to wear down Wayne and then close it with a shot of Bane lifting a battered Batman over his head about to bring him down on his knee. Go black and end the trailer on "and then... I will break him." I guarantee you, you'd get a fucking standing O for that and people would start lining up for tickets right then and there.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2008, 09:27 by 0bsessions »
JON MADE ME GAY

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #85 on: 10 Jul 2008, 09:46 »

that pre-trailer sounds awesome. to be honest, the only reasons why i wouldn't support a scarface/bane storyline:

1. scarface overall isn't really that intimidating to me. a doll worn on some guys hand commiting crimes...i dunno. creepy, but it shouldn't really take too long to beat this guy. as a supporting villian, that might work.

2. anytime you deal with bane, you kind of have to deal with azreal (i'm pretty sure i fucked that up but i'm sure you get the idea). i hated that guy and i dont know how much film nolan would have to/would be willing to show him and the struggle of power between him and batman once he gets well. it doesn't look like nolan plans to add robin anytime soon so he coulnd't fill in either.

however, if you mean just taking the character and basic premise of bane and creating a new story around that, i can get behind that.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #86 on: 10 Jul 2008, 09:49 »

Not having read much comics at all, who would you think should play Bane?
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #87 on: 10 Jul 2008, 09:59 »

if we're going with well known actors, i might give vinnie jones a call. it kind of depends how buff the dude is actually going to be.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2008, 10:06 by johnny5 »

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #88 on: 10 Jul 2008, 10:05 »

Urgh.

Oh and Nolan already came out and said that he will never direct a Batman film that has Robin in it. Given the potential gain from any Batman's directed by Nolan in light of the Colossal Failures that were the Schumaker Batmans I'm pretty sure WB will not push the sidekick issue.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #89 on: 10 Jul 2008, 10:43 »

That's okay. We already have an amazing Death in the Family inspired Batman movie in Return of the Joker.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #90 on: 10 Jul 2008, 10:47 »

Vinnie Jones?  The way you guys are talking about him, I'd expect a deeper, less gravely (sic) voice.  More along the lines of James Earl Jones, although obviously not him.

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #91 on: 10 Jul 2008, 10:49 »

i dont remember how his voice sounds, but they could certainly alter the voice like they do for the scarecrow and such. that was just off the top of my head, i'm certain there might be more creepy, unsettling actors to play the part.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2008, 10:52 by johnny5 »

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #92 on: 10 Jul 2008, 10:55 »

It would need to be someone really physically imposing, which apparently in action films means getting a pro-wrestler to stumble about the set, but for Bane you'd need someone both large but actually able to act. Vinne Jones just doesn't cut the mustard for it unfortunately. Honestly, I don't know of anyone like that.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #93 on: 10 Jul 2008, 10:58 »

i think Micky Rourke could fit that bill pretty well as long as he wore the mask so it wasn't obvious that it was him, since he's a pretty big actor.

but at the same time, i just don't think he's quite right. he's the best i can think of right now but i'm sure there's someone better.

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #94 on: 10 Jul 2008, 11:03 »

fuck it, i mean...can they consider vin diesel? once upon a time (saving private ryan), i thought he could act decently...he's a big dude and he could sound threatening enough. i'm kind of blanking on big dudes who can act too

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #95 on: 10 Jul 2008, 11:13 »

you know...Vin Diesel might actually work if he really pulled out his A game and they never showed his face.

....on second thought...why not just get a huge pro wrestler to be in the scenes (with mask) and have David Hayter do the voice.

it's perfect.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #96 on: 10 Jul 2008, 11:28 »

Vinnie Jones is a big colossal fuck no. The guy couldn't even act well enough to portray the Juggernaut and I'm pretty sure a 300 pound retard could handle Juggernaut. Say no to Vinnie Jones.

Bane doesn't necessarily have to be a huge guy. It's all about perspective. Get a guy who's pretty in shape and turn Bane into more of an Anti-Batman. It still gets the general premise, as Bane's real big point was that he was smart enough to outwit Batman in order to take him down. Any thug could've beaten him after the hell Bane put him through, but no one but Bane calculated it so meticulously. With that said, just get a good actor over six feet tall who's in good shape and run with it. Most importantly: lose the gimp mask. A lot of fanboys are going to cry about it, but as long as they got the important shit, it'll turn out all right.

In terms of Azreal, fuck that guy. Completely fuck that guy. He's very easily written out of the whole thing. You could basically do Knightsend without the second act. Just basically run the first half as the Breaking of the Bat storyline. Then, run about half an hour of Wayne rehabbing and retraining while Bane effectively fucks the city to hell and back, then bring Wayne back to Gotham and have him beat Bane. Pretty simple story that could be compacted into 2 1/2 hours easily enough. They could just open with the mass breakout and explain Bane's motivation as it goes just like in the comic.

In terms of Scarface, as I said, I don't think he could work as the main villain in retrospect. He could, however, steal the show. The idea of a dude with a puppet and a tommy gun doesn't sound intimidating and that's the point of the character. Initially people don't take him seriously, but then he will absolutely fuck your day up.
JON MADE ME GAY

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #97 on: 10 Jul 2008, 11:35 »

lol i forgot he was the juggernaut...bitch

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #98 on: 10 Jul 2008, 15:00 »

Technically, the end of Begins left Scarecrow unaccounted for, so they could bring him back in the future if they wanted to.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #99 on: 10 Jul 2008, 15:30 »

I was going to make a snarky remark about how I said that ages ago, but it would appear that that was in Gabbly, not here.
JON MADE ME GAY
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up