THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blonde Ambition  (Read 2875 times)

JReynolds

• Larger than most fish
  • We thought you was a toad!
Blonde Ambition
« on: 08 May 2008, 16:29 »

So Penelope wants to be a publisher or a literary agent. Does anybody here work in the publishing industry or as an agent? Is this a job that someone who loves books would like, or would it be better to have the mindset of considering books as "product" rather than "art" (low-end art perhaps, but art nevertheless)?

Just wondering, really. Most of what I know about the publishing industry comes from watching movies where some characters work in it. And I'm worried that some of the info shown might not be true. Crazy, I know.
When folly and lies are sown broadcast, one necessarily reaps insanity.  --Zola

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
Re: Blonde Ambition
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2008, 17:09 »

the best resource for this kind of thing.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Blonde Ambition
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2008, 09:39 »

I used to think I'd quite like to be a publisher, but I've changed my mind since. I think it helps if you like books (because chances are you'll be reading quite a few) and also can be pretty ruthless, because a lot of rubbish gets sent to publishing houses and has to be tactfully but firmly rejected. I guess what skills and qualities you need depend on the particular post you're applying for, same as any job.

Penelope, in my opinion, would make a great copy editor. She's got the eye for little details and would happily spend all day proof reading.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."
Pages: [1]   Go Up