THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 09:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pictures of boats  (Read 8308 times)

pencilears

pictures of boats
« on: 10 May 2008, 20:58 »

Dear Jeph,
 I saw your booth today at the emerald city comicon and  make some statements about your drawing of the cast on a boat that I now seek to back up with pictures of other small boats for you to reference should boat drawing be a necessary subject of future drawings. I understand the stays are hard to see on most of these pictures but trust me, with out them the mast falls down.

and I hope that it will be, as boats are fun and are also useful plot devices if you want some kind of emotional drama on the high seas.

http://www.geocities.com/garylambda/SailingPhotos.html
is me and my Dad in Dad's  swampscot dory the TigerLilly

http://www.ghboats.com/17_skiff.shtm
is a jersey skiff which is similar to the boat that you no doubt originally intended to draw

http://www.cwb.org/BoatDatabaseSailMed.htm
is the center for wooden boats, unfortunately they only have small pictures

http://members.shaw.ca/jamie.orr/Sucia%202005/20047.htm
fools and Canadians trying to sail to the middle of the sound with no wind, some reasonable pictures all small pictures expand to a more reasonable size

http://www.boat-links.com/Sucia/
more boat photos than anyone could ever reasonably need.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
Re: pictures of boats
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2008, 10:02 »

boats are fun and are also useful plot devices if you want some kind of emotional drama on the high seas.

Psh.  If you really want drama, you put someone in the middle of the ocean without a boat.

Anyway, to clarify for the incognoscenti, the stay is the line that holds a mast up.  When you're sailing, the wind pushes the sail, which pulls on the mast, which pulls the boat.  Without the stay, the mast would just fall forward (in a square-rigged ship, at least).  In the second picture, the sail at the front of the boat is a stay sail and it's drawn up and down on the forward stay (there to balance the back stay).

JReynolds

• Larger than most fish
  • We thought you was a toad!
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2008, 13:07 »

Anyway, to clarify for the incognoscenti, the stay is the line that holds a mast up.... 

<pedantry>Stays and lines are both ropes. Stays hold up the mast(s). Lines hold up (and otherwise adjust) the sails. </pedantry>
When folly and lies are sown broadcast, one necessarily reaps insanity.  --Zola

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2008, 14:55 »

are you...

a boat fetishist?
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2008, 19:08 »

Anyway, to clarify for the incognoscenti, the stay is the line that holds a mast up.... 

<pedantry>Stays and lines are both ropes. Stays hold up the mast(s). Lines hold up (and otherwise adjust) the sails. </pedantry>

My bad.  My knowledge of sailing (far from encyclopedic) is based mostly on the works of Patrick O'Brian.  He discusses stays, preventer-stays, preventer-back-stays and more... but I don't recall any differentiation of lines.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2008, 02:37 »

are you...

a boat fetishist?

Maybe they aren't, but now you've said that, someone is.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

JReynolds

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2008, 13:05 »

... the works of Patrick O'Brian.....

My own eyes tended to glaze over whenever Capt. Aubrey tried to explain the finer points of sailing to Dr. Maturin, too. The bit about the lines and stays is one of the few things I can state with any certainty.

They were good books, weren't they? I was sad when I came to the end of #20 and knew that there wouldn't be any more where they came from.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2008, 19:11 »

#21 was published posthumously, y'know.

JReynolds

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2008, 05:00 »

#21 was unfinished and unpolished. It was worth a look, but it was like seeing a house with the foundation dug and some of the construction materials piled up in the bare dirt around the site. In comparison to the other books which were complete, furnished, landscaped homes.

Perhaps too tortured a metaphor, but accurate in my view.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2008, 12:39 »

boats boats boats boats boats
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2008, 19:01 »

pencilears

« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2008, 22:40 »

My bad.  My knowledge of sailing (far from encyclopedic) is based mostly on the works of Patrick O'Brian.  He discusses stays, preventer-stays, preventer-back-stays and more... but I don't recall any differentiation of lines.

another O'Brian fan! be still my beating heart!
yeah it's a bummer he never got to finish the series but Aubry got the blue pennant (I think, its been a bit) and thats what matters right?

yeah I just go sailing with my Dad and try not to sit on all of the rigging at once.
Pages: [1]   Go Up