THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Body/Self Image  (Read 50280 times)

Lila

• Emoticontraindication
Re: Body/Self Image
« Reply #100 on: 14 May 2008, 18:36 »

I have my days when I feel good about myself.
generally, the rest of the time, I focus on my imperfections and hate my body.
I do look so much better than this time a year ago, though. So at least I'm not as horrible as before.
You know as much about Shakespeare as a chicken knows about tic-tac-toe!

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #101 on: 14 May 2008, 18:53 »

I have some self esteem issues, but they range from day to day.  Most of the time I see myself in the mirror and say, "You are pudgy, but that is okay," often times saying exactly that in my best Dr. Phil impression.

I would love to lose a lot of weight, which is something I have been trying to pysch myself up and do, but so far it hasn't gotten past, "snack on healthier things."  Since I am making money again I look forward to going to the gym more often, even having a workout buddy now that my friend is home from college.  I would love to lose my potbelly, that is probably the thing that is messing me up the most when I look in the mirror.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2008, 22:08 by Blue Kitty »

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #102 on: 14 May 2008, 21:44 »

I will admit defeat for now.  I do not have any photos with my hair out.  And, I shaved my head last month, so, that hair isn't too bad yet.
But...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21372247@N06/2493390095/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21372247@N06/2493390045/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21372247@N06/2494208984/
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #103 on: 14 May 2008, 21:49 »

A confidence booster:

I've been given a $16,000 scholarship to college next year for my singing voice. It's the biggest one they give out, and over 500 people auditioned for it. Also, the song I wrote for AP Music Theory was played as a demonstration of how to do it right.

When I'm recognized for my musical accomplishments, it makes me feel ace.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #104 on: 14 May 2008, 22:03 »

That's fucking rad, man. Congratulations!
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #105 on: 14 May 2008, 22:46 »

I feel absolutely awesome about myself. A girl at the Renfest thought I was cute as fuck.

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #106 on: 15 May 2008, 01:43 »

I was gonna hop on this thread last night, but instead played Pokemon (Fuck you Pokemon thread) and now it feels like I'm late to the party. I'll give it a try anyway.

For most of my life I've been overweight, somewhere between the ages of 5-7 it started, this continued until I was 18 in 2006 which was also when I was at my heaviest at 114kg ( 250 pounds?). Around the end of '06 I decided I'd had had enough and wanted a change, so I changed my eating habits and started some minimal exercise with working out 20 mins a day, skip forward a year I'd lost 50kg (110 pounds),  now weighing 64kg ( 140 pounds). That was end of last year and I've managed to gain a few kg so I'm currently between 66kg-67kg, which isn't too bad compared to what I have been in the past, right now I'm going to the gym for an hour four times a week trying to keep my weight down. Something I've come to realize is that no matter how much I weigh and change my body shape I'm pretty much never going to be happy with my body/self image since the main problem is that I have really low self esteem and I find it hard to feel good about myself, no matter how much I look good.

What others have said about it being easier having someone who loves you no matter what is completely true. During the year I lost all my weight I had, and still have, an amazing girlfriend who said she found me attractive either way, which really does help a fuck load. Before her I had the total of two girls tell me I was attractive and even then I didn't believe them just because I was that down on myself. Having someone telling you constantly how good you look lessens my crazy, but I doubt I'll ever be 100% pleased with myself.

As a kid I was bullied, and then add the low self esteem, I've become pretty socially retarded. I've always had friends and I find it really easy to make them too. The friends I have now are pretty much the greatest guys who I've known for a long time, but the thing with me is that I tend to distance myself from people, for some reason. I really hate this aspect of myself since I do it all the time.

Apperance wise I think I'm doing pretty well for myself. Since I was overweight for most of my teenage years I had long hair, to try and detract from my fatness. My hair's curly and when it gets long it goes from curly to fuckshit insane frizzy and goes out rather than down, so I looked like a right twat. It was only November last year that I had my first haircut in 5 years. Infact I had a haircut today and got it really short, I think I look rather good. Also, I have a beard. Which I attribute to my dad having a beard, Sam Beam having a beard, a number of fantasy characters having beards and a good way of hiding a fat face. Now I just like having it because I think it makes me look 10x better than I would without it. I got it trimmed today too, so it's not as long and scraggly looking. All in all, right now I look and feel good. I'm having one of my good days.

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #107 on: 15 May 2008, 11:13 »

probably when i go shopping for clothes is when i feel worst about my self image. damn you tall skinny people

-from a short stumpy person

Fister

« Reply #108 on: 15 May 2008, 11:34 »

I'm the loud obnoxious type. My personality makes up for my physical flaws. I was chubby and a bit overweight growing up. Then I became douchebaggingly confident, got all the hot ladies. A total smarmosaurus, if you will. And then I lost some weight except for my beer belly.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #109 on: 15 May 2008, 11:48 »

When I'm recognized for my musical accomplishments, it makes me feel ace.

I will give you mad props if you prove it. Post a sample of your lovely voice in the Raise Your Voices thread! I think we all want to hear it now. Pretty please?
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #110 on: 15 May 2008, 12:04 »

But I still think I have a really strange face and I'm a total 'butterface' (nice body...'but her face' get it).

Thank you, Drill King!  I've seen that expression so many times, but never understood it.

And I hope you don't mind me saying, but you have a very nice face.  No butter about it.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #111 on: 15 May 2008, 12:13 »

CAREFUL ORBERT OLDER GUYS AREN'T ALLOWED TO COMPLIMENT YOUNGER LADIES ROUND THESE PARTS
Hate, rain on me

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #112 on: 15 May 2008, 12:15 »

Define "older."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #113 on: 15 May 2008, 12:16 »

Having been alive longer.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #114 on: 15 May 2008, 12:32 »

Joe Hocking is definitely "older."
Liz is touching me.

imonfire

• Plantmonster
« Reply #115 on: 15 May 2008, 12:40 »

In highschool I hated my body, I'm sure every girl did. Now I love it though, I think I'm pretty hot.

I have an overbite still, after years of braces, which I hate. and stretch marks on my thighs from when I got a bit chunkier in highschool. But now I'm quite fit 5'9ish 125 pounds.  I work out occassionally, not as much as I should, but I have an incredible metabolism which lets me eat pretty much anything I want.
I have a skin condition called psoraisis which causes me to break out in big red spots on my torso and limbs and sometimes scalp, when I stress out usually.  From what I've researched my case seems pretty mild, and the spots usually go away with a few days treatment, so I dont stress about it much.  I dont really feel its any worse than having acne.
Other than that I'm basicly tall, long blond hair, blue-green eyes, big smile and winning personality. I have very fair skin so I only lightly tan in the summer, but I get lots of freckles, I think they're super cute.  I get hit on pretty often, and my current relationship has really done wonders for my confidence.
sig

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #116 on: 15 May 2008, 12:47 »

Man, stretch marks! I had a few of these, not very noticable, from when I was a chubby pre-teen, but then when I started playing hockey they just SPRANG into existence all down the inside of my thighs. Does anyone know how to get rid of them without surgery? I hate them very much.

Other than that I'm not too fussed about my appearance, I figure being really hot wouldn't help me one jot if I was a horrible person, and if I am then no one will like me anyway, and since people do like me then I'm not, and who cares what I look like?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #117 on: 15 May 2008, 12:51 »

Barmymoo, I've heard that cocoa butter and vitamin E works. That's what most pregnant women use on their bellies. Otherwise I'd peek around at your local shop for things designated for stretch marks, I know they exist.

If that doesn't work, they fade with age so I wouldn't stress.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #118 on: 15 May 2008, 12:55 »

In highschool I hated my body, I'm sure every girl did.

i guess i'm in the extreme minority here, but i am a girl that has never had a problem with her body.  i've always been skinny, but not to the point of looking unhealthy.  and i don't want my breasts to be any bigger or smaller than they currently are.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #119 on: 15 May 2008, 13:07 »

Joe Hocking is definitely "oldest."
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #120 on: 15 May 2008, 13:10 »

I have an incredible metabolism which lets me eat pretty much anything I want.

Careful with that, it's a double-edged sword. Y'see, my body is the same way, and I'm in the middle of changing my lifestyle. I don't exercise, like, at all, unless you count walking a lot since I live in a city and don't have a car. I mostly hear people refer to losing weight as a reason to exercise, and since I don't need to control my weight I've not felt any need to exercise. Until recently that is; as I get older I'm becoming increasingly aware of how important regular exercise is to health, so I've been strongly considering joining a health club with a pool so that I can start swimming again (I was a varsity swimmer in highschool.)

I have a skin condition called psoraisis which causes me to break out in big red spots on my torso and limbs and sometimes scalp, when I stress out usually.  From what I've researched my case seems pretty mild, and the spots usually go away with a few days treatment, so I dont stress about it much.  I dont really feel its any worse than having acne.

I don't know if it's psoriasis specifically (seriously, no doctor has ever given me a straight answer) but I have a skin condition similar to what you describe. What my last dermatologist told me is that Selsun Blue clears it up (as in, lather it onto the spots.) Best advice I've gotten about the condition, since Selsun Blue definitely works and is way cheaper than going to a doctor and getting a prescription.

they fade with age so I wouldn't stress.

Well that's good to know, because I have a bunch of stretch marks and I haven't the faintest clue why. I mean, my body hasn't changed significantly in over a decade.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2008, 13:16 by jhocking »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #121 on: 15 May 2008, 13:16 »

Swimming is all kinds of good for you, it not only tones you up but also if you're swimming in chlorine I find it helps with spots and acne and stuff. Also it's fun! I don't swim anything like enough because it's hard to get to a pool from where I am (there is one near my college which I could use on Wednesday afternoons but I have driving lessons then at the moment). I shall take it up again when I leave.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #122 on: 15 May 2008, 13:17 »

There's a health club literally across the street from me that I'm considering joining, but the membership fee is kinda high.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #123 on: 15 May 2008, 14:01 »

Swimming is amazing. That's how I've been working out lately, because I like swimming and it's also really good for you. After I graduate, though, I'll have to find a decent gym off campus that has a lap pool, because swimming is really the only form of exercise I think is actually fun. Biking is another, but I like mixing the two.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #124 on: 15 May 2008, 14:06 »

[img width= height=]http://www.freepatentauction.com/images_membres/715Daskao.JPG[/img]

Now you can!

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #125 on: 15 May 2008, 14:19 »

I see Honest Dski has put out the summer selection.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2008, 14:21 by Objects inside Clouds »
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #126 on: 15 May 2008, 14:56 »

...did they have to do that?

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #127 on: 15 May 2008, 15:03 »

CAREFUL ORBERT OLDER GUYS AREN'T ALLOWED TO COMPLIMENT YOUNGER LADIES ROUND THESE PARTS

I was being careful.  I said I hope she doesn't mind.  You know, like how you say "No offense, but..." right before you say something to offend somebody.

And what's this bullshit about Joe Hocking being the oldest?  I'm older than him, and I'm not even the oldest.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #128 on: 15 May 2008, 16:03 »

I went swimming today! I am so out of shape that I could only swim for half an hour, and now my arms are dead, but I exercised!

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #129 on: 15 May 2008, 16:43 »

i guess i'm in the extreme minority here, but i am a girl that has never had a problem with her body.  i've always been skinny, but not to the point of looking unhealthy.  and i don't want my breasts to be any bigger or smaller than they currently are.

I'm with you there to a degree. I never had a problem with it at school, because even before I lost any baby fat I had I was still ridiculously skinny (at one point I was perfectly healthy, but under the 45kg minimum weight limit for if I wanted to donate blood. This was when I was 15), but I was healthy and my friends would vouch that I ate more than they did. Now I get very antsy if I go under a certain weight, so while I could benefit from going to a gym and getting fitter I know from experience that I will probably lose weight quickly before the muscle mass takes up the slack and I get really uncomfortable in that period. That and I'm incredibly lazy.

Most things I don't like about myself on occasion (or at least like to complain about) are thing I can't change. I will never get any taller than I am now. I will not miraculously be able to bend my back properly (though maybe one day I will remember this and not bang my head on the seat in front of me at the movies when reaching for my bag). My wonky shoulders that no one notices are not going to get any less wonky. My big sticky-out ears will always be big and sticky-out. I know this, and don't hate these things about me, more that they irritate me on a fairly regular basis. It's like the yappy dog next door. It annoys you, but you're not going to go kill it; you deal with it and hope that one day you forget about it.

I was less concerned with my body when I was younger because I didn't really care. I made no effort, so it didn't matter whether I was pudgy or had bad skin or frizzy hair. After I started looking like a walking skeleton and had people starting to look at me making assumptions, I was more critical of how I looked and that is what has stuck, I guess.

Man, I like to talk in here, don't I?
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #130 on: 15 May 2008, 16:46 »

And what's this bullshit about Joe Hocking being the oldest?  I'm older than him, and I'm not even the oldest.

I think you are just getting delirious in your moderate-yet-not-hockingingly age.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #131 on: 15 May 2008, 16:48 »

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #132 on: 15 May 2008, 17:14 »

I wish I was as pretty as Hannah.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #133 on: 15 May 2008, 20:40 »

I used to consider myself a complete eyesore, but recently I went for a month without shaving, and after shaving again I feel a lot better about myself. There's nothing like dying a little inside every time you look in the mirror to make you appreciate what you look like normally. Now I'm basically of the opinion that if I were to slim down I would be quite the attractive individual.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #134 on: 15 May 2008, 21:04 »

Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #135 on: 16 May 2008, 03:07 »

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #136 on: 16 May 2008, 03:45 »

I hadn't realised how loose my Cadet uniform had got till I almost lost my pants calling the roll at admin parade. Yay dieting and exercise!

mooface

« Reply #137 on: 16 May 2008, 05:08 »

But now I'm quite fit 5'9ish 125 pounds.

125 lbs?!  that is how much i weigh :(

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #138 on: 16 May 2008, 05:17 »

Stop complaining, I'm 168lbs and shorter than him.
Get off my land

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #139 on: 16 May 2008, 05:53 »

But now I'm quite fit 5'9ish 125 pounds.

125 lbs?!  that is how much i weigh :(

You forgot to mention your height. We require this information so that we may judge your physique.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #140 on: 16 May 2008, 06:18 »

probably when i go shopping for clothes is when i feel worst about my self image. damn you tall skinny people

-from a short stumpy person

Damn you, short stumpy persons, for having all the pants made for your size.

Seriously, I'm 185cm (6 feet) tall, and weigh 65 kg (10,3 stone, 143 punds). The quest for pants is often lost.

I guess I feel kinda good about myself. I've got curls, and they are nice. ^^
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #141 on: 16 May 2008, 06:25 »

No pants are made for short stumpy persons! I have yet to find a pair of pants that actually fit me length-wise, after stopping using children's clothing. But I have befriended sports tape, because it is awesome for hemming pants that aren't jeans, and jeans I just have to fold up.. Which kind of sucks, but you get used to it.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #142 on: 16 May 2008, 06:26 »

Try being a girl. Finding pants that are the right length, size, and fit butt/hips/thighs is not easy. Especially if you're not between 5'5" and 5'8". (I'm 5'10.)

(Ladybug posted before I could.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #143 on: 16 May 2008, 06:39 »

No pants are made for short stumpy persons! I have yet to find a pair of pants that actually fit me length-wise, after stopping using children's clothing. But I have befriended sports tape, because it is awesome for hemming pants that aren't jeans, and jeans I just have to fold up.. Which kind of sucks, but you get used to it.

Can't you do as every teenage girl in this country and stuff your pants inside a pair of coloury, wollen socks, since that is sooo fashion?

How tall/short are you anyways?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #144 on: 16 May 2008, 06:42 »

I'm about 161cm, but overweight, so that makes finding pants even more difficult. But even when I was more average weight, it was a bitch. And stuffing pants inside socks is for when riding a bike, imo, if absolutely necessary. I will never understand that "fashion"..

And I'm 21, and I have a feeling that isn't very fashionable for 21 year olds.

Aminal

« Reply #145 on: 16 May 2008, 07:22 »

We require this information so that we may judge you.

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #146 on: 16 May 2008, 08:16 »

I'm 6' 0" and like 135 lbs, I need to gain some weight.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #147 on: 16 May 2008, 11:54 »

From wikipedia- "The word pound comes from the Latin word pendere, meaning "to weigh". The Latin word libra means "scales, balances" and it also describes a Roman unit of mass similar to a pound. This is the origin of the abbreviation "lb" for the pound."

Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #148 on: 16 May 2008, 11:58 »

Man, I wish we would switch to metric. It would be confusing at first but it's so much more simple.
Liz is touching me.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #149 on: 16 May 2008, 12:18 »

We tried it once in the 70s. Didn't work out well.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up