THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 23:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The closest you've gotten to / are with artists  (Read 79648 times)

Divide by Zero

• Emoticontraindication
  • "On top of everything else, it's superficial."

I was thinking about this because I'll be going to The Totally Normal Event in June, and Freezepop is performing there. From what the organizer told me, they'll be mingling with the event-goers quite a bit. So I have another little notch in my Indie belt coming up.

Let's see... I've been at Barry Carl's house because I used to be friends with his daughter. He was the original bass in Rockapella, who did the Carmen Sandiego theme song. Also, I've spoken on the phone with Voltaire about ex-girlfriends. My mom was at Book Expo promoting her book, and she called me to tell me he was there, whereupon he snatched the phone out of her hand to talk to me himself. It was cool.

My favorite band is Raquy and the Cavemen, and I gave a psychic reading to Liron Peled, who helped start the band with Raquy herself. He paid for it with two signed CDs. And I got to touch Raquy's drum. I couldn't bring myself to play it, though.

What about all of you?
In another troubling note, U.S. intelligence sources report that Iran is developing "a gigantic rocket-powered shoe.''

-Dave Barry's 2008 Year in Review

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
Re: The closest you've gotten to / are with artists
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2008, 12:07 »

I sucked Sam Beams's beard.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2008, 12:09 »

Man, Voltaire died like 100 years before telephones.

Shenanigans.

Divide by Zero

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2008, 12:11 »

Man, Voltaire died like 100 years before telephones.

Shenanigans.

Wrong Voltaire.
In another troubling note, U.S. intelligence sources report that Iran is developing "a gigantic rocket-powered shoe.''

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2008, 12:16 »

I played a game of pool with Chris McCaughan?

(though the cooler moment of that night was getting whacked in the head by Brendan Kelly's bass, and then having him kick a glass of whiskey on me)

(PUUUUNX)

Other fun ones:

-Lent a Sharpie to Kylewilliam from Imadethismistake, then sang a Lawrence Arms song with him
-Helped Megafaun take down the PA after a show
-Talked to John Vanderslice once. Just the normal "Hey, great show!" kinda thing.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2008, 08:45 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2008, 12:31 »

I've met a former Ramone's Brother.  I have Marky Ramone's autograph.  He's not an original member, I know.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2008, 12:41 »

I got a picture of me and Ted Leo a few years back, when his music was still good.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2008, 12:43 »

- Smoked a joint with J. Spaceman in Toronto in 1997.

- Dated a girl who had been taken to dinner by Trent Reznor.

- Am pretty close email-wise with Matt Elliott.

- At a Cat Power show in '98, due to van troubles, the opening band (Smoke, RIP) ended up playing after her, and after we talked a while and she bummed a cigarette off me she grabbed my arm and sat me down next to her to watch them, and held onto me the whole time.  If I hadn't had a girlfriend, I would have made a pass at her.  In fact, I should have anyway because said girlfriend would have probably totally understood.

- Used to see the original bass player for Elf Power every now and then.

- Have hung out with Will Cullen Hart (Olivia Tremor Control) because one of my ex's babysits his kids.

- Went to highschool with Cut Rate Box.

- Know a guy who is very close with Jamie Stewart, and used to be in a band with him.

- Have known Jenny Owen Youngs since she was 15.  Romantically involved with her when she was 15/16.  First song on her first self-released album is named after and about me.

- Evan Dando bummed a cigarette off me in 1994 at a gay club in Orlando.  No, I am not making that up.

- Met and talked to Edward Ka-Spel before a Legendary Pink Dots show.

- Met and talked to Wayne Coyne before a Flaming Lips show.

- Met and talked to dude from Polyphonic Spree while on mushrooms before their show.

- Hung out, ate, drank and occasionally translated with Acid Mothers Temple before they played.  Those guys and girl really love hot sauce.

- Kissed Carla Bozulich.

I honestly didn't think I would have that many to list.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2008, 13:33 »

After sound check, a Shearwater fella offered Liz and myself sauerkraut pizza. I accepted and we chatted about Calvin Johnson's near death experience and why no one ever tours Fargo in the winter (highly related events). Andy Kindler has my radio show time and name written down in his fancy notebook, I creeped out Eugene Mirman, Josiah Wolf from Why? and I had a singalong, and Dan from Wolf Parade gave me a shirt. We talked about Victoria, BC. Calvin Johnson creeped ME out (this is hard to do) but he stared at my boobs, which judging from his lyrics I shouldn't have been surprised about.

Fargo is small.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2008, 13:37 »

Oh, I just remembered I served some food to Sleater-Kinney a few years ago because I worked in the trendy vegetarian restaurant downtown right next to where they were about to play a free outdoor concert.

I didn't talk to them or anything though.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2008, 13:40 »

you guys are all much cooler than me (no sarcasm, i swear).

but let's see what we got here....i once got blacked-out drunk with Sam and Vadim from Dragonforce. can't say i really like their music all that much (anymore...heh) but those are two seriously cool dudes (unlike the rest of their band, who are cunts). after we were sufficiently drunk, they asked us to teach them some american slang and we had a good laugh when they went on stage later and Sam steals the mic away and yells "SHIT THE BED. FUCKIN' GNARLY" at the entire audience. 98% of the crowd just stood silently like "whaaat?" while me and my small group of very drunk friends laughed our asses off and made fools of ourselves.

that's probably my only worthwhile story...i don't get out much these days.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2008, 13:58 »

pretty much nothing.

pals with thurston moore's nephew, though.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2008, 14:06 »

Met and talked to for at least a little while (beyond just "hi, I like your music"):
The members of Explosions in the Sky
The members of MONO
The members of These United States
The members of Amiina
Thao Nguyen
Ohad Benchetrit
Jamie Stewart
Noah Lennox
Dan Deacon
Cameron Bird
Will Scheff
Matthew Cooper

I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2008, 15:35 »

Smoked pot with half of Orange Goblin, accidentally talked to Battlelore's guitarist about vikings for half an hour at Wacken, and my little sister is fucking Glen Mattlock's son.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2008, 15:41 »

Met and talked to for at least a little while (beyond just "hi, I like your music"):
The members of Amiina

Luckyyyy.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2008, 15:48 »

Aki from Electric Eel Shock touched my groin once.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2008, 16:13 »

Marianne Faithfull is my cousin, and we grew up in the same town; I took her to see A Hard Days Night on release, and in return she took me to hear Paul Robeson when he was in town the same year.

Paul
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2008, 16:34 »

The members of Amiina

Luckyyyy.

They were so nice! I saw them live without Sigur Ros at a cafe/recording studio in Philly. They played stuff from their EP and their (then) upcoming album. I talked to them for a while after the show. They were incredibly friendly and had seriously cute accents. I have a copy of their first EP signed by all of them. It's among my prized possessions.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2008, 19:34 »

I was given a flower by Cat Power, which made the friend I was with all envious and sulky for the rest of the night.

I met Will Sheff in a drunken stupor and shook his hand for like 3 minutes. I think he thought I was a bit weird.

Feist waved at me... I was so star struck.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2008, 19:54 »

I had about a 30 minute conversation with Benny Green at a Jazz Fest a couple years ago.  Soooooooooo amazing
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2008, 20:16 »

Tommy has a pretty great story about Chan Marshall.

I appear on Polymaths' EP (and, as of last night, on Rah Rah's upcoming full-length). Please bookmark this post and return to it in eight months. You'll know why.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2008, 20:22 »

and my little sister is fucking Glen Mattlock's son.

I misinterpreted this.  Then went "Ohhhh, that's nice."
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

pig nash

• Plantmonster
« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2008, 20:54 »

I watched Sunset Rubdown with Arrah from Arrah and the Ferns standing next to me.

Arrah and the Ferns are (were) a band based out of Muncie, they were pretty good.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2008, 21:03 »

I am good friends with the step-brother of Zak Sally, former bassist for Low.

Yeah, that's all I got.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2008, 21:10 »

Oh noes...I'm really drunk and now my dickish name-dropping has been given a chance to escape...but here it comes anyway. I will preface this by saying that living in Brighton, and working in clubs/promoting etc tends to lead to meeting/becoming acquainted with bands et al, but the rest I put down to stalking.

- Ted from Cursive slept on my floor after being harassed by my alcoholic housemate.
- Kevin Rowland asked me to sing backing vocals when he was singing acapella in a club
- Stuart Murdoch from Belle & Sebastian mocked me for having lots of Bright Eyes albums. I cut his DJ set short in response. He is a dick. And was playing a terrible set.
- Conor Oberst kissed my hand. He was wasted.
- Nick Zinner from Yeah Yeah Yeahs took a photo of my skirt - this was on the same night - I later got mistaken for a hooker. This was kind of embarassing and slightly scary, but when it happened I was too full of fangirly joy to take it all that seriously...
- Peaches 'interviewed' me with a camera in hand at 4am after one of her gigs as she took a shine to my gaffer-tape dress
- I periodically name-drop The Pipettes, but one of them is my mates. Same goes for This City and Restless List.

There are more, but I shall avoid the tales of members of 3rd rate indie bands I've thrown up on in an attempt to preserve some minute shred of dignity and to keep the distinction between fangirly scenester type and slightly inappropriate groupie type in place.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2008, 21:39 »

After sound check, a Shearwater fella offered Liz and myself sauerkraut pizza. I accepted and we chatted about Calvin Johnson's near death experience and why no one ever tours Fargo in the winter (highly related events).

Fargo is small.

It was fun! He was a pretty cool guy and gave me a set list after they had finished. And I had a good chat with Kim, also of Shearwater, at that show. She was a total sweetheart.

At the Ted Leo show I had a good chat with him while they were setting up. I helped him out with some cords and equipment and we exchanged the usual conversation starters. Which seems pretty pathetic but it was TED LEO.

I sat on a couch with Phil Elverum (Mount Eerie) and chatted for a whole show without knowing who he was until he got up and said "Sorry to leave you, but I have to go play some music now." He was the most soft-spoken, chill person I have ever met but he was also quite funny. That was a good show.

Also Fargo is small. Sad.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2008, 21:52 »

I should stop bothering to list people I've hung out with because I keep remembering more.

- Tarantel
- Low
- The Voodoo Organist
- Ken Vandermark
- Z'ev
- The Butthole Surfers
- Captured By Robots

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2008, 22:56 »

Fuck you for knowing Jefre Cantu-Ledesma! The man's a genius and Tarentel is one of my all time favorite bands.

I've also met Phil Elverum and he's an incredibly nice, humble, friendly guy. We talked about photography and such. This was after he played in a tiny room at my school for over an hour and a half, doing all requests from the audience because, as he was coming to the show, his car broke down, forcing him to sell it, rent a new on, and finally get the the show a couple hours late. As a result I think he lost any semblance of a playlist he might have had. The show was brilliant since he played all the best stuff by The Microphones and Mount Eerie and hung around afterwards talking to people. It was awesome.

Hollow Press (my blog)

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2008, 23:31 »

Oh man, Captured! by Robots... the last time I saw them it was the night of my grandpa's funeral, and we were really close. That was code for I was extremely upset still so I  ended up taking a jillion shots. I squeezed J-Bot's butt like four times. I kind of feel bad about it.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #30 on: 17 May 2008, 00:10 »

Bry Webb from the Constantines is a really great dude. Every time I have seen them (which is a bunch o' times) he stands in the crowd to watch the other bands and talks to people. He patted me on the shoulder. Also, like 6 years ago my friend was working the doors for a show of theirs in Hamilton, and Bry bought him some lasagne.

I hung out with You Say Party! We Say Die! before a show in Guelph a couple years ago at some dude's house. I am pretty shy so I didn't really say much, though. Becky Ninkovic (the singer) is the tiniest, most adorable person ever. She gives good high fives.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #31 on: 17 May 2008, 02:19 »

I sat on a couch with Phil Elverum (Mount Eerie) and chatted for a whole show without knowing who he was until he got up and said "Sorry to leave you, but I have to go play some music now." He was the most soft-spoken, chill person I have ever met but he was also quite funny. That was a good show.
Did he have any good jokes about trees?

No seriously I am pretty jealous.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #32 on: 17 May 2008, 06:21 »

I got drunk with some of the dudes from Arcturus and called at least one of them a cunt.

That was a rad night actually.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2008, 07:52 »

Did he have any good jokes about trees?

No seriously I am pretty jealous.

Not that I recall, no. Sorry to disappoint!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #34 on: 17 May 2008, 09:10 »

I gave DJ Lance Rock a high-five when I went to go see The Aquabats! live.

Yeah...pretty much it.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #35 on: 17 May 2008, 10:05 »

You're being prevented by Henry Cabot Lodge?
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #36 on: 17 May 2008, 10:28 »

I drank tea with Ian Mackaye during a 45 minute interview conducted by me.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #37 on: 17 May 2008, 11:35 »

Tommy has a pretty great story about Chan Marshall.

I appear on Polymaths' EP (and, as of last night, on Rah Rah's upcoming full-length). Please bookmark this post and return to it in eight months. You'll know why.

We must be thinking of different Polymathseseses.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Archer Goes To Jail

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #38 on: 17 May 2008, 13:24 »

A couple of years ago, The Gourds (my favorite band) came to the small, southern college town where I live. They don't have much of a  following here and only a few people showed up to see them. The bar where they played is set up to where there is a large space in the back for the main band playing that night, and a smaller space up front where some guy sets up with an acoustic and plays John Mayer covers. There ended up being around 20 people there to see The Gourds, but the other part of the bar was packed with people listening to the John Mayer cover guy.

Anyway, I showed up at the bar a few hours before they played to see if I could meet them. I ended up getting to hang out and have a couple of beers with Jimmy Smith, the bass player and one of the two main vocalist/songwriters. I don't know if anyone here has even heard of them, but they're my favorite  band and I have all eight of their albums, so it was a pretty great experience for me. I saw them a few more times in Atlanta where the place was packed out with fans and there wasn't nearly the same opportunity to meet the band.

Also: Hey everyone, I'm new. I decided I've finally lurked enough to make a post.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #39 on: 17 May 2008, 13:25 »

I've stood round and chatted for a bit with Cass McCombs about cool and unusual guitars.  He really liked the idea of a Chapman stick but had never actually touched one.  Once talked to the guys from Head of Femur, and got some food with 'em.  Nick Westra, their bassist, started eating my fries.
Moment of glory: once did a jumping stomach-bump with Dan Deacon.

OcculusExInferni

« Reply #40 on: 17 May 2008, 15:13 »

Got to meet Nightwish after their show at the White Rabbit in San Antonio last October.  Also got to meet and hang out with the guys of Into Eternity and Mike LePond of Symphony X.  There was a time when I was glad I met Herman Li and Vladim of DragonForce, but that dies every time I think about seeing them live again.  Though, according to Troy of IE, they've managed to tighten the show up a lot. 

But yeah, just those three bands.  Not a lot of easily accessible artists come through central Texas.  Dream Theater played last August, but it requires an epic level feat and a virgin sacrifice to even hope to get those tickets to meet em. 

suitupletsgo

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #41 on: 17 May 2008, 15:44 »

my sister used to hang out with Coheed and Cambria so a few of them used to come over all the time. Claudio is a strange dude.

I interviewed Koufax after seeing them once. they were cool guys.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #42 on: 17 May 2008, 16:02 »

I drank tea with Ian Mackaye during a 45 minute interview conducted by me.

As impressive as Jackie's list is, this is by far the best post in this thread.

I am still jealous that you got to interview Ian.

Anyway I have never actually met anyone musical who is important. SAD
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #43 on: 17 May 2008, 16:28 »

Had a lovely 25 minute conversation with Alan Sparhawk from Low after a gig in Norwich.

Have been friends with Sam Duckworth (Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly) for a few years now since a friend introduced us at one of his gigs.

Had several drinks with Fyfe Dangerfield from Guillemots at the first Latitude festival.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Divide by Zero

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #44 on: 17 May 2008, 18:40 »

op: everyone who sees freezepop play is embarrassed for them (this happened to me once)

The only reason I realized I could (theoretically) brag about this is that my friend who sits next to me in C++ is a HUGE fan of theirs, but don't ask me why. (She has really weird taste in music. She's also a huge Pat Benetar fan, and that's just pathetic. I hope she'll grow out of it.) How exactly are they embarrassed for them?

And I remember more bragging points I could get. My friend is the stage manager for The Tabernacle in NJ, which hosts a lot of 60's artists who are still playing. As such, he's gotten to hang and play with Hot Tuna, Levon Helm (The drummer for the band called The Band as in Bob Dylan and The Band), The Rascals, and most recently, Lucy Kaplanski. That was last night. The biggest name he's gotten is fucking Donovan. They flew him in from Scotland specially and he did a small tour in the NYC area. At Woodstock, the four artists they couldn't afford to get were The Beatles, The Stones, Donovan, and I believe The Who. I may have that last one wrong, though.

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #45 on: 17 May 2008, 20:16 »

Anyway I have never actually met anyone musical who is important. SAD

Yeah, me too.  My only other remotely interesting contribution to this thread is the fact that I stood across the merch table from John K. Samson when I saw The Weakerthans.  He seemed like a really nice guy.

Daggor

« Reply #46 on: 17 May 2008, 21:22 »

Whenever I'm at small/local shows, I always stick around to talk to the bands after the show is over.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #47 on: 18 May 2008, 07:27 »

I have heard of maybe three people mentioned in this thread. And maybe 5 of the actual bands mentioned.

Basically what I am saying is that no matter how large your indie-penis is, I will never care about anything you think is awesome ever.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #48 on: 18 May 2008, 07:55 »

Jimmy, you're so awesome.

(I've had plenty of opportunities to meet famous people but I always chicken out)
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #49 on: 18 May 2008, 08:19 »

Basically what I am saying is that no matter how large your indie-penis is, I will never care about anything you think is awesome ever.

I don't think any of that makes me cool, it's just a thread where something was asked and I answered.

I think you have indie-penis envy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up