THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 14:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The closest you've gotten to / are with artists  (Read 79638 times)

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Re: The closest you've gotten to / are with artists
« Reply #50 on: 18 May 2008, 08:24 »

Slow Club liked a drawing I did for them (sent in for a competition thing) but I'm too shy to go and talk to anyone.

Mark Withakay

• Not quite a lurker
  • COMO UN JEFE
« Reply #51 on: 18 May 2008, 08:53 »

After a Freezepop concert (the Pittsburgh one actually), four friends and I got CDs and went to get them signed. While we were waiting in line, The Other Sean T. Drinkwater came around and struck up casual conversation, which lasted for 10-15 minutes. I wasn't really in on it, but I overheard most of it. Basically, it got into keytars and how they'd started with them for 2 years, drunk practicing, music videos, bloody keytars, etc.

öde

« Reply #52 on: 18 May 2008, 08:55 »

And then I got a signed Freezepop CD! Unfortunately it doesn't include any songs about Philippe.

Mark Withakay

• Not quite a lurker
  • COMO UN JEFE
« Reply #53 on: 18 May 2008, 08:59 »

And then I got a signed Freezepop CD! Unfortunately it doesn't include any songs about Philippe.

I tried! None of the albums had the song, though.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #54 on: 18 May 2008, 09:53 »

As impressive as Jackie's list is, this is by far the best post in this thread.

I am still jealous that you got to interview Ian.

No way, Paul being Marianne Faithfull's cousin and taking her to see A Hard Day's Night is far more interesting. Muffy being asked to sing with Kevin Rowland is a close second.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #55 on: 18 May 2008, 13:10 »

Marianne Faithfull, age 18:

This publicity photo was taken in her home while trying to arrange her first recording; the backdrop is a very colourful mosaic table, which I had helped to make.

Paul
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #56 on: 18 May 2008, 14:32 »

I was sat down by Dan Boeckner and told over the course of an hour why "Apologies to the Queen Mary" was called what it is. It was actually a fairly lame conversation.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #57 on: 18 May 2008, 16:09 »

I drank tea with Ian Mackaye during a 45 minute interview conducted by me.

This. Beats. All.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #58 on: 18 May 2008, 16:12 »

I sat down at a park next to John Mayer. We talked for about 15 minutes and then he signed my forehead.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #59 on: 18 May 2008, 16:20 »

No way, Paul being Marianne Faithfull's cousin and taking her to see A Hard Day's Night is far more interesting. Muffy being asked to sing with Kevin Rowland is a close second.

Paul's is absolutely the peak of this thread but as for singing with Kevin Rowland you're smoking rock. Sure, it's probably not a common experience, but it's nowhere as interesting as being able to talk to Ian Mackaye.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #60 on: 18 May 2008, 16:38 »

I'm willing to bet talking to Ian Mackaye was the more interesting experience. I mean, it's Ian Mackaye. Minor Threat, Embrace, Fugazi... "You can't fuck with a motherfucker like that." But as an anecdote it's not as good. Getting asked to sing with Kevin Rowland is far more unusual and conjures up a much more fun scenario in my head, whereas an interview is a pretty normal thing.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #61 on: 18 May 2008, 20:29 »

Neko Case is my second cousin, she used to crash at my uncle's place in Memphis when she came through town. Never actually met her, though.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #62 on: 18 May 2008, 20:51 »

Last night I played an acoustic cover of Smack That for Brett Netson, one of the guitarists of Built to Spill. He's also complimented me after a few plays he's seen that I have performed in.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #63 on: 18 May 2008, 21:42 »

Fuckin' hilarious
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #64 on: 18 May 2008, 23:26 »

I tied the knot for Ian Curtis.

Was it a nice ceremony? Did they say their own vows?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #65 on: 18 May 2008, 23:37 »

an interview is a pretty normal thing.

Yes, but I'll reiterate once more:

An interview with Ian Mackaye isn't.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #66 on: 19 May 2008, 05:13 »

I don't know, I've heard he's pretty approachable and easy to talk to actually.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #67 on: 19 May 2008, 06:03 »

No no no let's try this again

Ian Mackaye is more than a human being. I'd love to fellate him but I'm afraid I'd have the back of my head blown off by his ultra-righteous ejaculate.

Guys, I love all of Ian's work as much as the next person but come on, let's not be silly here.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #68 on: 19 May 2008, 10:30 »

Seriously, I'm having a hard time figuring out why you guys are on Ian's jock so hard.  I like Fugazi as much as the next guy, but I'd be way more excited to interview, I don't know, Lee Ranaldo or David Lowery or something.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Funk Thompson

• Larger than most fish
  • Do you know what you are? You are what you is.
    • Funk Thompson's YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 19 May 2008, 11:15 »

I'm friends with a number of smaller / regional acts.  Madahoochi, Bockman, The Station, Tiffany Christopher to name a few.

I've met Steve Kimock, and one of the guitarists from Zappa Plays Zappa.  Both very briefly, and both via Madahoochi - Shawn Hartung was performing with The Everyone Orchestra at 10klf '05, and Kimock was playing with them that year as well, so her and Scott were talking to him when I walked over to ask them about something.  Then I met the one guitarist in ZPZ who played with Zappa, can't recall his name now, through a friend's brother who is a promoter for 10klf, while we were waiting on loading in Madahoochi's equipment.  My buddy recognized him and got to shake his hand, I just kinda stood there like a moron.

Then at dawn that next morning, I met some of the guys from a few bands when the promoter friend pulled up on our campsite with a golf cart full of musicians seeking out the last few campsites with anything going on :D
Click link, receive music.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #70 on: 19 May 2008, 19:45 »

I'd be way more excited to interview, I don't know, Lee Ranaldo or David Lowery or something.

That'd be pretty awesome too, but I don't think anyone's brought that up in this thread as an event that happened to them?

But a forty-five minute interview with Ian Mackaye at his house, over tea. That's pretty fucking cool.

Mister Arkadin

« Reply #71 on: 20 May 2008, 05:14 »

Apparently twenty years ago or so my dad used to frequent Yesterday and Today records on his lunch breaks. He would chat with Ian Mackaye, who worked there. Of course, drinking tea with him would be so much more kickass.

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #72 on: 20 May 2008, 06:12 »

I'd be way more excited to interview, I don't know, Lee Ranaldo or David Lowery or something.

That'd be pretty awesome too, but I don't think anyone's brought that up in this thread as an event that happened to them?

But a forty-five minute interview with Ian Mackaye at his house, over tea. That's pretty fucking cool.

I have to agree here. We're not talking about the coolest interview possible, we're talking about what actually happened to people..
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

ChainsawMessiah

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Yum yum hot dawg
« Reply #73 on: 20 May 2008, 06:54 »

My dad was Mikael Åkerfeldt's (Opeth) english teacher.  :mrgreen:

frunK

« Reply #74 on: 25 May 2008, 09:01 »

i met robin black, i doubt anybody outside canada remembers him, he's more or less gone out of music and into hairstyling. Also He's not an artist but I was in an elivator with former NYC mayor rudolf gulianni when he was in winnipeg for the fancy-assed snob party for jerks wine festival, I was working for one of the componies that sets up and takes down displays(at the end we got to steal so many unused bottles of fancy assed wine that were used for sampling and just left on the table for us to smuggle out in rolled up carpets throw out, but that's a different story). The guy just oozed asshole vibes and I didn't realize it was him until after. If I was awake enough to realize  I probably would have asked what the weight of thousands of dead homeless people that he let freeze to death felt like on his concience right in front of the unimpressed waitress he was hitting on. I really wish I had realized...
« Last Edit: 25 May 2008, 09:05 by frunK »

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #75 on: 25 May 2008, 09:09 »

She's also a huge Pat Benetar fan, and that's just pathetic.

pfffft

Love is a Battlefield, dude
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

sean

• welp
« Reply #76 on: 25 May 2008, 09:49 »

Seriously, I'm having a hard time figuring out why you guys are on Ian's jock so hard.  I like Fugazi as much as the next guy, but I'd be way more excited to interview, I don't know, Lee Ranaldo or David Lowery or something.

It's funny how my original comment of saying interviewing Ian is the coolest thing to happen in this thread turns to into me "being on Ian's jock so hard." I never said anything of the sort! I just think that was the coolest event of the thread! Thats all.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

frunK

« Reply #77 on: 25 May 2008, 09:54 »

Opeth's english teacher beats you riding Ian's jock.(Visualize this)

itsrabid

« Reply #78 on: 26 May 2008, 16:43 »

I got about 6 feet away from Bob Dylan a few months ago...
He smiled at me and my friend, then the usher started haranguing  us so  we had to go sit down.

Also, Phil Lesh is my [sort of] uncle's brother-in-law.

Funk Thompson

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #79 on: 30 May 2008, 10:41 »

I got about 6 feet away from Bob Dylan a few months ago...
He smiled at me and my friend, then the usher started haranguing  us so  we had to go sit down.

Also, Phil Lesh is my [sort of] uncle's brother-in-law.

There's only a few states where "my sort of uncle's brother-in-law" means much..  ;)

Your family tree must look like the opening credits of Idiocracy.  I KEED I KEED!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #80 on: 30 May 2008, 14:08 »

I was within two feet of Graham Coxon and didn't realise until it was too late, meaning I missed out by a fraction on a chance to meet one of my biggest heroes.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Jyan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #81 on: 30 May 2008, 17:13 »

I went to school with a lot of the guys from Voxtrot. Learned percussion right alongside Matt Simon, their drummer. His sister's my best friend. Does that count?

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #82 on: 30 May 2008, 17:30 »

Greg Saunier from Deerhoof snuck me and my friend through the band door of a show once (we were under 18 and we'd already bought tickets).

Said friend has a much bigger indie-penis though. He played in Jens Lekman's band and has partied with Joanna Newsom, Andrew Bird and Spoon (actually I think he said Spoon weren't in on the partying). He also plays on a few local artists' albums.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #83 on: 31 May 2008, 12:14 »

I went to school with a lot of the guys from Voxtrot. Learned percussion right alongside Matt Simon, their drummer. His sister's my best friend. Does that count?

I'll count it because I like them.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #84 on: 31 May 2008, 14:06 »

i met robin black, i doubt anybody outside canada remembers him, he's more or less gone out of music and into hairstyling.

No surprises there.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #85 on: 01 Jun 2008, 20:34 »

Guys, surreal experience today.  I played Sunflower by Low at my friend's sister's graduation party.  I played guitar and sang the lead part, my friend played bass and sang harmony, and a different friend played viola.  In the audience was Zak Sally, said friend's (and therefore friend's sister's) step-brother, and former bassist from Low, who helped write and record the goddamn song.  Afterward he came up and shook my hand and told me nice job.  Nice guy, weird experience though.

Funk Thompson

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #86 on: 01 Jun 2008, 20:36 »

They aren't that famous, but Friday night I partied till 4 AM with the guys from Family Groove Company and 56 Hope Road, after filming their show.  Had met them briefly before, but this was my first time hanging out with them.  Good folks.

kingofnothing324

« Reply #87 on: 05 Jun 2008, 14:08 »

Mae came and played a show at my school. I hung out with them for about an hour in the afternoon before the show. Kinda surprised me that they're into Sigur Rós and Okkervil River, considering the music they make.

Hung out with a few members of The Decemberists a few times after shows.

Invited the members of Lovedrug for pie after a show. They declined, but did so by calling me. I thought it was kinda cool to have the lead singer's cell phone number.

Danced with the new female member of YACHT after she jumped into the crowd at a show.

Last, this one isn't mine, but a good friend helped Sufjan Stevens pack his van a few years ago. Can't remember why I didn't make it to that show...

Van donk III

• Furry furrier
  • eyeballs.
    • DNKimage
« Reply #88 on: 05 Jun 2008, 15:48 »

I met Steve Harris and Nikko McBrain from Iron Maiden when I was about 15.   I shared a cigarette with Danny from the Wildhearts.   Played a show with Reelbigfish and drank their rider dry (they were pissed).   I played chess with Yoko Ono at her exhibition in Belfast.   I elbowed Billy Connoly in the ribs for standing too close to me in line at LAX.   I managed to get my shoe autographed by David Byrne.   But my most recent crowning achievement was while working crew at the Oddysey arena, and telling the Backstreet boys what a bunch of pathetic losers they are to their faces.   Oh yeah, Donny Osmond spat on me.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2008, 15:52 by Van donk III »

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #89 on: 05 Jun 2008, 15:52 »

I played a show with Matt Talbot from Hum once.  It was with his other band, Centaur.  We helped him load his gear in; he was pretty nice but seemed incredibly shy.  He came up after the show to say he liked my band.

I also played on stage with Johnnie Johnson in St. Louis.  I was sitting in with a blues gee-tar slinger I know when he happened in and sat in with us.  I had no idea who he was until my friend told me afterwards.  

Last year I played a show with some guys from the Steve Miller band.  It was a benefit for a charter school run by the bassplayer's wife.  He was a nice dude; he just walked up and said "Hi, I'm Steve McCarty. I'm the dude in the Steve Miller band.  I wrote 'Fly Like and Eagle.'  You write great transitions."  I think he was two sheets by that point.

I also got to play a show with Denali once.  Rumor had it that the singer from Portishead showed up to hear them, saw my band playing, and instantly left before they ever took the stage.  I didn't see her, but it was widely joked about among my friends.

That same band had the producer Tony Visconti come to one of our shows.  He did all the Bowie and T-Rex records, and a bunch of others.  He's the guy playing bass in "The Man Who Sold the World."  He asked for a demo, which we mailed.  We were promptly told that he didn't hear a single. Good times.

I've also met and talked with the drummers from System of  Down and Incubus, not that I'm into those bands anymore but it was cool at the time.  System of a Down had just put out their first record and nobody really noticed them off their bus so they were just walking around out front after a show.  My friend asked the drummer for his autograph; he was so excited to be on his first "big tour" that he ran back into his bus to get a fan autograph book that he had her sign.  They were super nice guys.

« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2008, 15:55 by Chad K. »

the Goat

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Murder is my hobby
« Reply #90 on: 05 Jun 2008, 21:48 »

Sat next to TV on the Radio after they played the Virgin Fest last year, was too geeked out to say anything. Left embarrassed and ashamed.

Saw Ian MacKaye one night walking with Amy Farina in Adams Morgan in DC. Same thing happened as above.

Talked with Spoonboy before a Los Gatos Negros show at ABC No Rio, saw him repeatedly around DC when I lived there for the summer.

Have had very awkward, stilted conversations with Erin Tobey and Hannah Jones of Ghost Mice fame.

Put on a show for Alec K. Redfearn and had him stay at my house for a weekend. The crowning achievement of my life so far. 

Went to school with the Genghis Tron and the dude who co-founded jizz-magnet label Lovepump United w/ Mookie.

I've had a bunch of other run-ins with musicians in restaurants. It's one of the most bizarre sensations going to get breakfast and seeing a musician you love chowing down on some huevos rancheros.
The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

spidergland

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #91 on: 06 Jun 2008, 05:36 »

Ever heard of a little band called The Clash?  Well, I don't know them, but I did hang out with members of Los Campesinos! once.  Also, my best friend is related to Karen Elson and hence Jack White by in-law-ness.  His family weren't best pleased that they married on a canoe without any of the family present, but then Mr. White smoothed them over and bought them roses and stuff. 

sc13ntific

• Plantmonster
« Reply #92 on: 06 Jun 2008, 06:15 »

Clutch - a bunch of times, great guys
Dave from monster magnet  - Met 1 time
Chali Tuna - Met 1 time (really tall)
Xhibit - Met 1 time (really short)
The Bassist from hatebreed (forget his name) - Met 1 time (really short)

Played shows with:
High on Fire
Eyehategod
Suplecs
Grand Buffet
Rebreather
Sea of Green

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #93 on: 06 Jun 2008, 08:12 »

Anton Newcombe walked into the guitar shop I work at once and we talked about sitars, LCD Soundsystem, and why there's no rock 'n' roll scene in France.

Tommy, post some stories you dick.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

pentaen

• Furry furrier
« Reply #94 on: 06 Jun 2008, 09:13 »

Met Dan Deacon at Virgin Fest 07 and he grabbed my crotch

Met Wayne Coyne when i jumped the fest at a weird festival type thing in Allentown PA (Pennsylvania's texas)
wayne hugged me, talked about christmas on mars, helped him carry an amp, and then made fun of thurston moore's hair who i didnt realize was standing offstage who then came forward to talk with us. greatst day of my life

loam

« Reply #95 on: 10 Jun 2008, 22:35 »

haha. this is funny. living here I've run into and had conversations with quite a few actors and musicians - I usually don't realize who they are though until later or if it comes up in conversation. I don't have a tv and and woefully ignorant of the people in bands I like (I generally don't give a crap who they are or what they look like as long as they make good music). I also have a pretty bad memory for names and faces. I think the last two were bumming a cigarette to the dude in gaslight anthem outside of a fake problems show and chatting for a while and one of the actors from firefly / serenity. Can't remember either of their names, but nice dudes.

*edit* oh and in the course of my job I meet a lot of directors, producers, blah blah. most of the time they just irritate me though  :-)
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2008, 22:37 by loam »

foolsgold

« Reply #96 on: 11 Jun 2008, 12:37 »

I made out with Rachel Goswell, got stoned with Money Mark, got drunk with Oasis and made Nick Cave laugh.

The Ass Ponys/Wussy singer liived at my house for a couple of weeks.

Stampeding_Vash

« Reply #97 on: 12 Jun 2008, 07:21 »

Drank with Flogging Molly a couple times at a friend's house.

Kissed Scott Weiland.

Hung out with James and Kirk from Metallica.

Close with members of Cockfight Club.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #98 on: 12 Jun 2008, 09:53 »

I made Nick Cave laugh.

Explain.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

billiumbean

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #99 on: 13 Jun 2008, 14:06 »

Not much indie cred to flash here, but I'll humor you.

- Met, talked to, had things signed, and had pictures taken with Silversun Pickups at a meet-and-greet.  The lead guy, Brian, is the only person who has ever recognized my Secret Machines shirt.

- Met, talked to, had things signed by Jonny Lang and Reeve Carney.  Not indie, but they're still awesome.

- Have talked to Let's Go Sailing and Oh No! Oh My! on MySpace.  Shana Levy's favorite ice cream is rocky road.

- Have talked to Shiny Toy Guns.  Got cut off by drunk chicks, sadly, but it was cool.
Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up