THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's up for last minute plans?  (Read 15524 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Who's up for last minute plans?
« on: 16 May 2008, 13:41 »

I'm heading to Yorkshire next week (specifically, Halifax) and I had a sudden thought that people might be around or able to be around for a meetup.

Anyone interested? By next week I'm talking 23rd-30th May ish, and by Halifax I mean anywhere that I can feasibly reach by bus from Halifax (this includes Bradford, Leeds, Hebden Bridge and so forth, and also maybe Manchester and that kind of place if my dad is heading that way).

Can't offer accommodation at the moment, although that might change (it'd be the spare twin room in my dad's dog-hair-strewn house and I'd need to check with him first).

Anyway if anyone is around or can be around, I'm going to have a boring time so come and liven it up!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

waterloosunset

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: Who's up for last minute plans?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2008, 06:16 »

if you can postpone to the autumn would be great, im moving up to yorkshire!!!

but can't at the moment im afraid. damn exams

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2008, 06:20 »

I'll be there in autumn too, I expect, I go most months. This week coming though could be a bit dull, most of my friends are studying for exams that I don't have.

Whereabouts are you moving to?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2008, 06:27 »

I live in Elland. I enjoy regularly catching the 508 to Leeds, where several more forumers live. If you were going to arrive just a few days earlier, you could have caught Tommy and Katie too!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2008, 06:37 »

That'd be pretty cool but I'm not going to throw over my Law exam, even for Tommy and Katie!

Elland is literally walking distance from my dad's house. I used to work at the stoves warehouse on the road up to the bypass. If you bought a fireplace between December 2006 and March 2007 I probably sold it to you.

Leeds sounds fun, who else is up for this?

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2008, 12:09 »

Leeds is my hometown so it would be god damn typical if there was a QC meet-up right before I come home from Uni!

If you can delay till June I could make it to Leeds if not swing by Manchester, my second home. Get your Dad to come this way!
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2008, 13:28 »

Ian (El Rodente, doesn't really post here anymore) lives around Manchester. I'm not sure whether he's moved back there from Uni yet, but he goes to Uni in Huddersfield. I hung out with him, but I really embarrassed myself by shoplifting and so am kinda shy to talk to him now.
Yeah, bad habit, I know. It's okay, I stopped.

tommydski

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2008, 13:41 »

You met since then -

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2008, 13:47 »

As habits go, that's not the greatest.

Maybe, from the sound of it, we should meet up at some point either next month or in the autumn? Or have two meets? Or just throw a wild party that lasts til November?

tommydski

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2008, 13:50 »

I am in Leeds semi-regularly because I go to see Leeds United play whenever I can. I was there last week and I'll be there again on Tuesday.

I will pass through again on the following Monday I guess, hopefully after watching LUFC win at Wembley Stadium on Sunday.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2008, 14:06 »

You're right, I did meet him since then. But how talkative was I? Not very!

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2008, 14:24 »

Just realised I shall be in Leeds with very little to do next Saturday, perhaps this would be the ideal time since I could make it then.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2008, 14:27 »

Next Saturday is the 24th, and the day after I get paid. It's fine by me.

tommydski

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2008, 14:39 »

You're right, I did meet him since then. But how talkative was I? Not very!

It's hard to talk with your mouth full.

tommydski

« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2008, 14:40 »

The joke is that I have made people think that your mouth was full of hot cock when it was actually just Chinese food.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2008, 17:56 »

But Chinese food is hot cock.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2008, 19:49 »

Ruyi is hot cock.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2008, 19:51 »

Your mom is hot cock.

Yeah.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2008, 02:02 »

I think Liz just won this thread. Which wasn't hard. Sorry Tommy.

Anyway, 24th? Leeds? Who's in?

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2008, 02:49 »

If the weather is nice, I'll bring sandwiches.

waterloosunset

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2008, 02:55 »

I'll be there in autumn too, I expect, I go most months. This week coming though could be a bit dull, most of my friends are studying for exams that I don't have.

Whereabouts are you moving to?

the sunny climes of sheffield. im off to buy pulp cds and a box set of sharpe to work on my accent  :wink:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2008, 03:01 »

Haha screw working on your accent, people love accents that are different (unless you're from Birmingham in which case, work on your accent).

Sox, we might even end up on the same bus to Leeds. I have no clue what you or Luke C looks like and you probably have no clue what I look like. Let's make plans!

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2008, 03:09 »

Tommy has posted a picture.
>Look at picture

It is of two men; the rather more dashing man is Darryl
>Bugger Meet Darryl
« Last Edit: 18 May 2008, 03:14 by Jimmy the Squid »
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2008, 03:19 »

Dammit Jimmy do you seriously go to all the trouble of linking A Softer World every time you post? So confussssssssssed nurr nurr

Anyway. I've found a picture of Luke too so I might succeed in not meeting up with some other random people by mistake. Because I wouldn't want to spend the day with two people I don't know at all and who might turn out to be somewhat unsavoury. Much better that I meet Darryl and Luke instead.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2008, 03:24 »

No. Last week I was linking to random Achewood comics.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2008, 03:27 »

This is true.

That makes it all ok.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2008, 03:29 »

I'm the one on the left. Ian is far more dashing in person than I am. That's from January. It was my birthday! That scarf was my only present. My experience with Leeds is that there's little to do during the day besides shop.
The 503 bus drives right my past my street every 15 minutes, I won't have any difficulty getting to Halifax. I forget how often the 508 to Leeds arrives at the station, but I think the 576 to Bradford is every 20 minutes, and we could always catch another bus from the Bradford interchange. Either way, the bus to Leeds usually takes me about 90 minutes. I have travel scrabble. The train cost me nearly three times as much but makes it in just under half the time.

LC, what're your plans?

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2008, 04:42 »

Wait so are we going to Leeds or Halifax?

I will be in Leeds from the Friday night till the Monday but Saturday is my only free day really. Maybe Monday.

I can get into Leeds pretty easily, its a short bus ride. I could even get the 508 but its a bit out of my way compared to the 16 stop which is about 10 yards from my front gate.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2008, 04:46 »

Unless you enjoy watching pigeons, there's even less to do in Halifax than there is in Leeds. Let's do Leeds.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 18 May 2008, 05:08 »

I had to write an essay about what there was to do in Halifax for my german class once. I wrote about how it has great public transport, to get you the hell out of there and take you to someplace more exciting.

Also there's the Piece Hall, but that's declining gradually in a depressing manner.

OK Leeds. So Luke, you'll already be in Leeds on Saturday and won't be travelling there from a distant place like Elland or Greetland? What time is good for you?

Darryl are you saying you'll go from Elland to Halifax and then to Leeds from Halifax, or via Bradford? Because if that's what you're doing, I'll meet you on the way to Halifax. Again, we need a time.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2008, 05:18 »

I'll pm you my mobile number later. You say Elland is within walking distance? There's a bus stop outside Andy Thornton in West Vale about 15 minutes from my house that we could easily meet at. What do you think is a sensible time?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #31 on: 18 May 2008, 05:29 »

That's a perfect place, I'm about fifteen minutes from there too.

I've had a look at the bus times and the journey from West Vale to Leeds will probably take between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 hours so we should probably set off reasonably early. If we met at about tenish would that be good? Then we could meet Luke at twelve in Leeds.

Edit: if anyone else wants to come too, feel free to jump in on the plans!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #32 on: 18 May 2008, 08:07 »

My experience with Leeds is that there's little to do during the day besides shop.

There's the art gallery, although admittedly it is not a great art gallery. And there's always Kirkstall Abbey which is a nice place to wander round and eat a sandwich, or the Hollies which can be quite a nice walk. In general it is quite rubbish for things to do during the day that don't involve buying stuff though, you're right.

I'll be around during the day on that Saturday, so I guess you can count me in for whatever.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2008, 08:20 »

Pack of wolves, do you still have a beard? Did you ever have a beard? Am I thinking of the right person?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2008, 08:24 »

I did, but I don't anymore. It was a bit disappointing so I had it killed.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #35 on: 18 May 2008, 08:27 »

Also, do you have a name?

I has a name. It's the name of a month. Bonus points for anyone who guesses (or uses the search tool, I believe Patrick may have mentioned it once or twice)(there's a clue in that previous bracket).

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2008, 08:55 »

B-moo, 10am is fine. Leeds supposedly has a lot of nice parks and natural scenery, but I've yet to see any of it. Any thoughts about that, guys?
The three of you can call me Darryl, everybody else here does. Even though they were supposed to call me Sox and not parade my identity around by posting photos. Tommy.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2008, 08:57 »

After the whole "holy crap sox is darryl" thing, I doubt there's anyone who doesn't know who you are. Sorry.

Haha no one has ever called me B-moo before. I sound like a kind of machine gun for farmers.

Right, back to doing some work.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #38 on: 18 May 2008, 09:26 »

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're called May. I share a first name with Messrs. Shatner, Wallace and Wilberforce.

Parks and natural scenery? Well, there's the Hollies, that big park in Armley (don't know that well), the abbey, Roundhay park (next to Tropical World, which is apparently where Julian Barrett got the idea for the zoo in The Mighty Boosh), Hyde Park (good for watching students get drunk and play with poi but not a lot else)... my brain's gone a bit blank after that.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2008, 10:24 by a pack of wolves »

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #39 on: 18 May 2008, 10:31 »

April perhaps?

The park in Armley, though that would be really convenient for me since its about 2 minutes from where I live it is really nothing special. Kirkstall Abbey is pretty cool if you've never been, its 11th century! Is everyone 18? If so we can always consume alcohol together instead of trying to be cultural.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #40 on: 18 May 2008, 10:55 »

I'm 19. No ID though. I think B-Moo/August is 17?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #41 on: 18 May 2008, 11:24 »

Haha pack of williams got it right.

Yes, I'm seventeen, but I don't drink anyway so that doesn't make any difference. Feel no qualms about planning alcohol into our trip though, I don't mind other people drinking and as long as you all look old enough I'll be fine getting into pubs (it's been done before anyway).

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #42 on: 18 May 2008, 11:30 »

That's great, I look about 8.

öde

« Reply #43 on: 18 May 2008, 11:35 »

Yeah, you can't really leave him alone or someone tries to help him find his mummy.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #44 on: 18 May 2008, 11:39 »

Well I have a driving licence (learners) which I can flash but if it's checked it clearly says I'm not 18 yet.
Anyway we can cross that bridge when we want booze, yes?

Darryl, don't you have any flavour of ID at all? Bring your passport, man! (No don't that is stupid, I carry too much personal data round with me already, don't add a passport to the mix or we're just tempting fate)(speaking of passports why hasn't my new one arrived yet?)

I will be your mummy.

Hell that sounded creepy.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #45 on: 18 May 2008, 11:44 »

I shouldn't drink anyway. Beers, Lagers and Ales are strictly out of the question for me for health related reasons.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #46 on: 19 May 2008, 05:30 »

So where are we meeting?

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #47 on: 19 May 2008, 09:31 »

The bus station about midday sounds convenient. Guys?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #48 on: 19 May 2008, 09:43 »

Fine with me.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #49 on: 20 May 2008, 08:45 »

Sounds ok to me. Being more specific...where abouts in the bus station, its a fairly large place. Lets say stop number..err...3?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up