THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 23:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Game Designers?  (Read 6077 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Favorite Game Designers?
« on: 01 May 2008, 17:03 »

Actual people, I refer to here, like Hideo Kojima or Shiggy.

Right now I think I'm a pretty huge fan of Goichi Suda and Ferry Halim. Suda operates on a level of video game love that is without compare in his industry. While his games are, in some way, technically unimpressive, he does it with such a flair and style that he's unparalleled in the industry. While everyone else is trying to draw you into the game as an alternate reality, Suda is forcing you out. He's deconstructing and waving the game in your face as what it really is: a danged video game.

Ferry Halim, meanwhile, is probably not as instantly known, but you probably know his Flash games at Orisinal. He takes the most simple, pleasant premises and makes a very relaxing, addictive game out of them. His games are both calming and frantic. It's a very unique effect and I love Winterbells, Bugs, and Pocketful of Stars.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: Favorite Game Designers?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2008, 17:15 »

So I assume we're talking about individuals and not studios?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2008, 17:24 »

I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2008, 18:51 »

I also like Tim Schafer.

Sid Meier is also cool.  I think I was behind him on the way to work earlier this week.

And also the Doctors from Bioware.  They go without saying.

Ragnar Tornquist is probably hands down the best storyteller ever, and Feargus(sic) Urquhart is a definite runner-up.  The first did the Dreamfall series, the second is Obsidian's lead writer.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2008, 19:01 »

Say, I hope everyone's aware that Tim Schafer is awesome!

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2008, 19:52 »

My vote goes to David Jaffe.

God of War
Twisted Metal

That is all
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2008, 22:06 »

Ragnar Tornquist is probably hands down the best storyteller ever, and Feargus(sic) Urquhart is a definite runner-up.  The first did the Dreamfall series, the second is Obsidian's lead writer.
Actually, Feargus is the producer / business dude. MCA is the creative director.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2008, 22:37 »

Dude, your neckbeard is showing.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2008, 00:12 »

Being a huge fan of both MGS-series and Civ-series, I will say Sid Meier and Hideo Kojima.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2008, 02:28 »

Daisuke Amaya. His artist name is Pixel, and he made Cave Story. Best free game ever, pretty much the best game whatsoever.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2008, 06:10 »

Actually, Feargus is the producer / business dude. MCA is the creative director.

I guess I just associated him as the writer because both of their parents had the same idea when naming their kids.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2008, 06:37 »

Chris Avellone (I can't really bring myself to hold KOTORII's rather incomplete status against him; I still liked what was there) & Yahtzee, although the latter is cheating because I'm not really thinking of his games.

« Last Edit: 02 May 2008, 06:40 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2008, 13:58 »

Gabe Newell and his buddies at valve are good. Cliffy B. seems good looking at Unreal 3 and Gears of war but that isn't much to base a opinion on.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Xerostyle

• Emoticontraindication
  • A different kind of stupid.
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2008, 18:11 »

Probably Hironobu Sakaguchi, or Tetsuya Mizugichi.

Rez, Lumines, Meteos, Space channel 5, and Ninety Nine Nights were all hella fun.

For Sakaguchi, he singlehandedly made the best RPGs in my lifetime, Including Final Fantasy I-IX, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey.
They said we'd never make it to the moon eighty years ago, and thirty years after it happened we argue the validity.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2008, 23:11 »

Hideo Kojima always puts out high-quality, if sometimes needlessly convoluted, stuff. He's a brilliant guy.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2008, 09:07 »

Coming back to Ragnar Tornquist because my friend just related to me how good at storytelling Ragnar is.  So, I played the PC version of Dreamfall, and wouldn't shut up around him until he played it.  So for Christmas that year, I bought him the xbox version of the game.  He got up to a certain point and his xbox died, and I'm currently holding it for him and bringing it over so he can play the rest of it when he can.

Anyways, he works as a gas station attendant, and twice a week he does the night shift.  One day (or night, rather), he couldn't stop thinking about it, so he started telling it to some guy who stopped by around 2am for some cigarettes.  The guy's first reaction was 'it's late, I don't feel like sticking around', but an hour and a half later, he was practically begging to know more, except my friend hadn't gotten any farther.  Ragnar and MCA are the only two game writers/designers in my recent memory to be able to have their stories affect people who haven't played them in the same way as those who have.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2008, 09:11 »

If I walked into a random gas station at 2am and the guy behind the counter started blathering at me about a video game, I'd be concerned that said random gas weirdo was a serial killer.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2008, 10:11 »

Well, usually they stay around and talk to him for 15 minutes or so before leaving, and I imagine he brought it up around the 10-minute mark.  I've stayed overnight with him a few times, and believe me, the people who come in are a lot weirder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up