THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: No child is safe from the Sinister Cult of Emo!!!  (Read 19242 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

Somebody please think of the children!

Some describe it as a cult or a sect

she'd inflicted the wounds herself and that it was part of an emo "initiation ceremony".

Only after her death would they discover how she had secretly chatted online to emo followers all over the world, talking about death and of the "black parade" — a place where emos believe they go after they die.

SYNOPSIS: Clearly clinically disturbed girl with history of self-harm starts wearing black then kills herself. Parents blame Blink 182.

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Thaes

• Furry furrier
Re: No child is safe from the Sinister Cult of Emo!!!
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2008, 08:27 »

I have discussed about this article (or more precisely a different, although very similar, artile about the same issue) with people on another forum, but the ignorance of the press and of that girl´s parents still surprises me. I mean, who on their right minds points the blaming finger solely at the direction of certain music or subculture? It is as ridiculous as calling violent video games the sole reason for those school shootings.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2008, 08:33 »

Black Parade

[img width= height=]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z121/flyasi/normal_P1080995.jpg[/img]

AM I DOIN IT RITE?

It drives me mad that people automatically assume that teenagers kill themselves because it's "fashionable" or "cool". Lots of my friends listen to Blink and MCR, or have dyed black hair with a long fringe, and wear skinny jeans, but that doesn't make them depressed. I don't even need to say this because we all know that the article is stereotyping and stupid, but I can't believe that people would be so quick to blame a fashion trend rather than look at the possible reasons their child might feel they can't cope in life.

I'm in no way belittling Hannah's parents' grief, but it won't make them feel any better to blame the music she listened to. And surely the more the media link emo to suicide, the more likely it is that children who feel suicidal will align themselves to the fashion trend because they feel it's what they should do or look like?

This isn't a very well written post because I'm pretty annoyed. Maybe I'll come back and edit in a bit.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2008, 08:41 »

Next thing you know, they'll be blaming I'm From Barcelona because the kids are too damned happy.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2008, 08:42 »

It is the Daily Mail. The whole paper is based around scapegoating people and making up a load of judgemental nonsense. Five quid says they run an article next week linking emo to asylum seekers and claiming they have evidence My Chemical Romance is an Al Qaeda cell.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2008, 08:47 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1935735/Popular-schoolgirl-dies-in-%27emo-sucide-cult%27.html

Here´s the other article I mentioned. It contains this touching proof of how concerned the parents seemed to be:

The teenager, who left a suicide note and used the nickname “Living Disaster”, committed suicide after flippantly telling her parents, “I want to kill myself”, when she returned late from a friend’s house.

They dismissed the comment and said “don’t be silly” but an hour later found her suspended an inch from the floor.

And they blame the "emo-movement"?

EDIT: Fix´d the link, which I originally posted in too fancy a manner...
« Last Edit: 17 May 2008, 09:23 by Thaes »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2008, 08:58 »

I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, I'm sure I've told my parents that I want to kill myself at some point in my life. I know my brother has said he wishes he was dead. But we're both still alive and certainly I would never actually do it. My parents know that, so I doubt they'd sit me down and talk to me about whatever issues had prompted my statement. They'd be more likely to tell me not to be stupid, and then send me to my room to calm down.

On the other hand, if she was serious (and clearly she was, because she did) then there must have been something else going on. No one kills themselves to impress a group of people they've never met, because for one thing even if the people were impressed, they wouldn't be around to reap the benefits. So presumably there was something else going on and maybe they missed the signs.

But over all that is the fact that a teenage girl chose to kill herself. Maybe it isn't emo that's glamourising death but certainly it seems like lots of people feel they have to wish they were dead to be taken seriously. I know people who have tried to commit suicide and tragically, rather than their cry for help (I hate that phrase but it's the only one that fits) being recognised, they were derided for being cliched and attention seeking.

I don't know where I'm going with this. Probably I'm just saying that her parents weren't being neglectful or bad people by not taking a teenager's melodramatic statement seriously. Don't blame them, but for pity's sake don't blame My Chemical Romance either.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2008, 09:00 »

I am just laughing at how they keep referring to people as "emos".
I like the way you work it.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2008, 09:18 »

Thaes, your link is broken.

As sad as it is that Hannah Bond killed herself, this article is incredible. It sounds like something you'd find in the Onion, but perhaps something that the Onion might dismiss as too obvious or silly. Simply incredible.

"Teenage girl kills self. Investigators suspect she had become 'emo'"

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2008, 09:26 »

At least the coroner didn't return a verdict of "death through bad taste in music".

Grr. The medias are stupid.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2008, 09:34 »

CUT OFF THEIR NOSES BEFORE DEPLOYMENT!

Obviously the only solution.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2008, 10:11 »

Wait, Blink 182 is emo?

When did this happen?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2008, 10:22 »

Adam's Song is the only one I can think of that would call out to people who are depressed and want to kill themselves. The band is still pop-punk or whatever in my book.

People shouldn't blame kids deaths on "being emo". It's full of crap and they just don't want to realize that their kid had a problem they didn't know about or didn't take seriously.

Yet another reason why I hate the media.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2008, 10:42 »

Wait, Blink 182 is emo?

When did this happen?

That one album. With Robert Smith on it. The self titled one.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2008, 10:50 »

I'm no fan of the "emo" subculture, but jesus fucking christ. It's no more to blame for this girl's death than heavy metal is/was for the Columbine shooting. This is why I've lost all desire to be a journalist. Except for a few magazines and newspapers, there's absolutely no integrity or focus on issues that might actually matter to the nation or the wider world.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2008, 11:21 »

Oh yeah, that album.

Blink 182 will always be dude ranch to me.

Guys, in Mexico, they beat up on emos. Emo's fight back though.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2008, 11:35 »

So these parents are saying "my teenaged kid used to be so happy and normal-now they spend all their time in their room and don't want to wear the clothes I buy them!  It must be this new CULT." 

Oh, people. 

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2008, 14:44 »

In all seriousness, and I'm probably not the only one here, but I non-melodramatically think of killing myself a lot. I dismiss it is cowardice and I hate myself more for even thinking about it. Why should I end my life? If I cut myself, then a lot of adults might see it and then they'd worry. I don't want anyone worrying about me. Why should I make them worry?
I'd just be a corpse, then there'd be nothing for be, nothing to do, see, discover and learn. There will always be something for me no matter how depressed I get.

P.S: I mostly listen to We Are Wolves, Frog Eyes, Sunset Rubdown, Spoon and the Arcade Fire. I wear baggy clothes and my hair is neither black, straight nor with a fringe pulled to the side.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2008, 14:47 by n0t_r0bert_b0yle!! »

HellStorm

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2008, 14:52 »

I'm sorry, but the only word I can think of about this is silly.
I hate the whole emo thing, but you can't blame a kids death simply because they wear black and have a bad taste in music. She obviouly had something wrong in the first place, else she wouldn't have done the whole slitting wrists thing and tolerated it. Its just the parents trying to find something to blame most likely.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2008, 14:58 »

Like moths to a flame.

They're attracted to it because you have a subculture linked to these feelings of depression and the teenagers own confusion during their adolescent formulative years. They can hence relate to the perceived nature sub-culture and want to belong, be with like-minded people.

LordNagash

« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2008, 16:52 »

This would be a lot better if everyone was talking about Emus.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2008, 17:14 »

the 'black parade' is a place where all emos believe they will go when they die

LOL
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2008, 17:38 »

I think that everyone has wondered about suicide, about death. Tell me you haven't, and I"ll call you a liar. Because you are.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2008, 17:39 »

Johnny sometimes you just make me smile.

Thank you.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2008, 17:50 »

Hello there sig quote, how are you today?

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #25 on: 17 May 2008, 19:00 »

This would be a lot better if everyone was talking about Emus.

My sister once read "Emus" as "E-MUS"
                Daddy, what's an e-mus?

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #26 on: 17 May 2008, 19:02 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p95_eF3bD1w

Check the sweet use of the words "web log".
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #27 on: 17 May 2008, 20:31 »

They could have just gone to The Wikipedia and been like, "Well, fuck.  We're dumb."

'Cause they are.

I was really hoping this wasn't a serious article.

O, world, thou hast declined in thy knowledge.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #28 on: 17 May 2008, 20:39 »

Man I used to be a depressed teenager who dressed only in black, listened to terrible music (well, black metal) and totally thought about death all the time (granted I still listen to black metal, wear a lot of black and am still quite depressed). Basically my point is that the emo scene is stupid and people like to blame things other than themselves so they don't have to feel bad about their own failings.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg
« Reply #29 on: 17 May 2008, 21:07 »

They're wrong, it's not just children that arent safe! It can happen to everyone.
EVEN SPIDERMAN!
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

Boudicca

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #30 on: 17 May 2008, 21:26 »

I blame it on the parents. When their kids say "wow, I'm depressed" most parents just write it off as "a teenager thing." Of course I could just be a classic teenager trying to blame someone else.

imapiratearg

« Reply #31 on: 17 May 2008, 21:31 »

They're wrong, it's not just children that arent safe! It can happen to everyone.
EVEN SPIDERMAN!

Yeah, but he's smiling.  Emo children dont' smile.  They just frown and cry.

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #32 on: 17 May 2008, 22:26 »

I see two sides to this thing.
On one hand I can tell you I was "emo" way way way before they ever had a scene for it. I did the cut myself thing. I dressed in black. I listened to bands like "Suicidal Tendancys, Dead Milkmen and GWAR" I even thought of many practical ways to kill myself. One time one of my teachers confronted me and came straight out and asked me if i was doing drugs. All the time i was cutting myself I wondered if anyone would notice. If anyone really cared. Well i guess at least that teach cared enough to get all up in my grill. I guess i'm lucky that i got some help otherwise i'm not shure what might have happened.

On the other hand as now i'm a parent i've gotta keep an eye out for my kids. I hope i've guided them with enough brains to think if they want to be part of a scene thats ok but as long as they don't feel obligated to do cave into the peer pressure. A bit of the old "if your dumbass friend jumped off a bridge would you too" kinda thing.
*was getting tired of that slug*

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2008, 22:33 »

EVEN SPIDERMAN!

Yeah, but he's smiling.  Emo children dont' smile.  They just frown and cry.
That's less of smile than it is a petulant smirk. Emo children are pretty petulant.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #34 on: 17 May 2008, 23:04 »

On one hand I can tell you I was "emo" way way way before they ever had a scene for it. I did the cut myself thing. I dressed in black. I listened to bands like "Suicidal Tendancys, Dead Milkmen and GWAR" I even thought of many practical ways to kill myself. One time one of my teachers confronted me and came straight out and asked me if i was doing drugs.

Oh man, do you guys want to tell him or should I?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #35 on: 17 May 2008, 23:21 »

No, no, no, no, no, you can

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #36 on: 17 May 2008, 23:34 »

I bet all he wanted was a Pepsi. Just one Pepsi. But she wouldn't give it to him.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2008, 01:59 »

My favourite bit about StaedlerMars's article (do you have a shorter name, by the way? I can't spell that one without checking it and I'm lazy) is this bit:

"What do you do when you are confronted with a question mark about sexuality in Mexico?" Arellano said. "You beat it up."

Sounds like a good analogy for most things, actually. Also, emosexual? What the hell? Emotional sexual? Aren't most relationships connected to emotions? Hell, this article is full of gems.

But Arellano said he thought the riots could have a positive impact here in the US.

People make me laugh.

And I'd have posted this last night when it made sense in context but the internet died on me. To swerve this back into context a little:

Emos, or "emotional people", are first noticed by what they wear.

Yes. Yes television report woman, yes. That is true. Yes. You are right. Yes. Emotional people dress like... emotional people. As opposed to all those cyborgs out there. Yes. Well done.

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #38 on: 18 May 2008, 02:39 »

But Arellano said he thought the riots could have a positive impact here in the US.

The lines following that phrase ( "It's a great clusterfuck for the American mind's idea of Mexico," Arellano said. "This teaches the rest of the world that Mexico is not just a bunch of cactuses and sombreros.") make it even more amusing. I can already see the way Mexico will promote itself to tourists: "Mexico: not just cactuses and sombreros, but hatred against emotional people with clothes as well!"

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #39 on: 18 May 2008, 03:20 »

CLUSTERFUCK

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #40 on: 18 May 2008, 03:25 »

"Clusterfuck" is definitely one of my favourite words.

öde

« Reply #41 on: 18 May 2008, 06:20 »

tight jeans, T-shirts, studded belts and sneakers or skater shoes.

WHAT. DEVIANTS.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #42 on: 18 May 2008, 07:13 »

So those are warning signs? Everyone wears t-shirts and most people I know are not opposed to wearing sneakers. Maybe they should go with something a little more obvious, like heavy eye make-up regardless of gender, stupid haircuts or ill-advised facial piercings
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #43 on: 18 May 2008, 07:32 »

Shit! Does this mean I have to ditch my Vans now?

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #44 on: 18 May 2008, 07:38 »

"What do you do when you are confronted with a question mark about sexuality in Mexico?" Arellano said. "You beat it up."

Sounds like a good analogy for most things, actually. Also, emosexual? What the hell? Emotional sexual? Aren't most relationships connected to emotions? Hell, this article is full of gems.

First, by some accounts, the emo subculture is identified with homosexuality in Mexico. As Mexico City youth worker Victor Mendoza told Time.com: "At the core of this is the homophobic issue. The other arguments are just window dressing for that."

YOU DID NOT READ.

Also, I only read this article because of the mention of clusterfuck. That is not an appropriate usage of the term clusterfuck, and I am upset, once again. How is this a clusterfuck for the 'American mind's idea of Mexico'? I mean, maybe you could call the rioting and violence a clusterfuck, maybe, but their usage I do not think is right.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #45 on: 18 May 2008, 07:57 »

I did read it, I just found the term amusing.

imapiratearg

« Reply #46 on: 18 May 2008, 08:14 »

tight jeans, T-shirts, studded belts and sneakers or skater shoes.

That's how I look on a day to day basis.  Well, replace "tight" with "slightly loose" or "snug" jeans.  I don't wear skin-tight jeans.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #47 on: 18 May 2008, 08:24 »

Daily Mail,

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #48 on: 18 May 2008, 09:26 »

A large newspaper here in Denmark ran that very same article as well. Just translated to Danish, but still just as dumb.

This kind of sensationalist, factless journalism makes me fucking sick.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #49 on: 18 May 2008, 10:35 »

I always thought that the "emo kids" were teenage or young adult types who were doing the "let's all get in touch with our emotions" thing, except on steroids, or goths whose poetry actually got published and they still couldn't afford ten-inch sole boots. It sounds a little sinister for people to be subscribing to it in a cultish manner.

Also guys does this remind anyone else of the illustrious delivery style of Fox News?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up