THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 10:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 3  (Read 3578 times)

frullic

• Furry furrier
  • Warning: Contents under parental pressure.
    • An Adventurer is Me!
Windows XP Service Pack 3
« on: 07 May 2008, 21:34 »

SP3 came out. Microsoft says it fixes bugs. In fact, it hinders your computer to try to nudge you toward Vista. DO NOT DOWNLOAD! If you do, go in install/uninstall and remove it. It's really obvious if you read some of the code. Just spread the word to your friends on XP.
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2008, 00:12 »

"if you read some of the code"?

What?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2008, 00:15 »

I installed this at work in a VM and it has not affected the install negatively at all.  What in particular is this supposed to do to "nudge you toward Vista" ?

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2008, 00:33 »

Today at work I was talking to some dude about this. Apparently it makes only very negligible changes and some issues with other software means that if you don't disable it before (for example, some antivirus programs) it will fuck up your machine something fierce.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2008, 07:15 »

Wasn't that basically what happened with 2?  Albeit, the changes were more significant, but it threw a hissy fit with some of the anti-virus stuff, didn't it?
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2008, 19:22 »

SP2 straight up killed a lot of installs & people had to either recover or reinstall depending on the severity.  The negative effects of SP3 are child's play in comparison.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2008, 20:28 »

Isn't it just a collection of all the patches (and Windows Genuine Advantage) to date?

I installed it on a spare machine and barely noticed a change. It seemed slightly faster than the original SP2 installation, but maybe that's just me.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2008, 21:32 »

Guys, guys, guys.

You're forgetting that Microsoft is actually fueled by malice and hatred and evil and that everything they do is for the sole purpose of fucking over their customers so they can laugh maniacally in their towers of gold. You have to factor that into the equation when you're installing this and seeing how it runs.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2008, 22:37 »

SP3 came out. Microsoft says it fixes bugs. In fact, it hinders your computer to try to nudge you toward Vista. DO NOT DOWNLOAD! If you do, go in install/uninstall and remove it. It's really obvious if you read some of the code. Just spread the word to your friends on XP.

"Hey look, every computer is the same as mine and this software will effect all of you exactly the same!"
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor
« Reply #9 on: 06 Jun 2008, 06:31 »

Antivirus software screws up a lot of installs.  In fact, it's commonplace to disable antivirus stuff before starting a major upgrade (at least if it's something you can't easily uninstall and reinstall).  I can't believe an IT proffessional didn't realize that.
I know I've installed games that didn't run on the first install because of my antivirus stuff.  I highly doubt that is Microsoft's fault. 

SP3 runs like a charm; in fact speed tests show it runs up to 33% faster than sp2.  I don't see any giant, "BUY VISTA" advertisements and every single program that ran on SP2 runs exactly the same as SP3, except faster.

!Oh and one more thing.  Removing a Service Patch can be highly risky and may in fact force you into a full windows reinstall or format.  If you have problems thats one thing, if you are paranoid about MS manipulating you into buying Vista, well, I've got good news! XPSP3 is still way better than Vista even if it was just a giant trick and it put in some invisible bugs that have no effect on anything. 

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jun 2008, 07:06 »

It's not just common place, it's outright recommended. A large amount of software will outright tell you to disable antivirus and close all programs before an install.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jun 2008, 06:44 »

... However if you are in an environment that uses 802.1x over copper , and you don't know a lot, SP3 could lead to you paying someone like me a lot of money to clean up your mess.

They finally split the Wireless Auto Config off so we now have separate Wireless and Wired NAPs, but the problem is, that if you used 802.1x over copper and your users log in to a domain, you suddenly pushed a patch that makes it so no one on your network can log in (Because they will all get a 169.254.x.x address, so they can't reach the domain to log in).

I got paid a boatload to look up a technet article and push a simple fix to a bunch of machines :D
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #12 on: 09 Jun 2008, 20:47 »

High-fives all round, then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up