THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 18:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Age of Conan  (Read 7544 times)

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
Age of Conan
« on: 20 May 2008, 21:57 »

So, Age of Conan was officially released today.  It has officially rocked my private parts off.  Impressions from you guys? 

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: Age of Conan
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2008, 22:02 »

I do like that pretty much every quest I've gotten so far has spoken dialogue.  And the place is gorgeous.  At first glance, the combat seems simple, but I'm starting to get into it a bit.  I don't know how the mage/rogue classes play, I'm still not high enough to have looked at crafting, and I haven't had time for PVP yet, but I really wanna look at the siege warfare.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2008, 23:30 »

i'm actually thinking about checking this out. i've read some reviews and previews and it sounds pretty damn good. is it a pay-per-month thing or what and/or how much is it? if the price is right i might actually get it.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2008, 07:28 »

It's a pay-per-month thing, but if you buy the longer times, it's cheaper.  It's the same as World of Warcraft, 15$ a month/9L$/13E$.  You get 30 days free for buying, as is usually the deal, plus a 7-day guest pass to give to a friend.  Be warned, though, it taked up 32gb on your hard drive (or that's how much it asked me for), and you need a fairly recent computer to have most of the eye candy on.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2008, 10:04 »

Holy shit. 32 gigs? That's one fifth of my hard drive.

Yeah.  I need to buy a new one (I've got a ridiculous amount of stuff installed, and I'm down to 4.7gb on two of my four partitions, and the one I installed AoC on is down to 24gb, but I suspect patches and such are going to fill that up), luckily 500gb internal HDD's only run about 80 bucks..

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2008, 12:08 »

Wait, an MMO that actually requires a decent computer? You're shitting me.

I've heard about it, it sounds great. I wish I were the MMO type.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2008, 22:24 »

Well, I haven't run into any 'kids' so to speak.  In fact, most people are busy questing...and besides, the first 5 levels are solo, and you have the option of doing most of the next 15 solo as well.

I do think some of the graphical quirks are kinda funny, though.  All the women have twitchy breasts, and one even has her areoli going through her top.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2008, 18:53 »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They even got Magnus to do it.  That's hilarious.  It totally fits, because I think I've seen him break a bed before.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2008, 20:07 »

I haven't tried this game because an awesome Conan MMORPG would basically doom any chance I have left of living a normal life.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2008, 13:38 »

My friend wants me to play this but I really like running all my games off my raptor X but this would take up about a quarter of it, half the space left :/

I could put games on my storage discs but I like that 2.5TB free for junk not games even thought the 32MB cache spinpoints are so damn sexy and would run games well... it would just ruin my filing layout :(

Might play it when my WoW subscription runs out in a few weeks now.

Can anyone please give me a solid reason why it is awesome and I should play it? I was going to go back to FFXI instead :/

That takes up 15GB if I remember correctly, and what about that other MMO that BOMBED a while back because it was such a grind fest? It was like 30GB I think.

This might be a good bridge to darkfall though... or maybe I should get warhammer... decisions like this are annoying and you can only rely on other people for them :(
« Last Edit: 23 May 2008, 13:41 by clockworkjames »
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2008, 14:05 »

The combat's a lot more active.  That was my main reason for hating pretty much every other MMO, where it was basically attack target, occasionally use special moves, repeat.  And AFAIK, every quest has spoken dialogue.  As cliche as it might sound, I actually feel like my character is part of the mythos.  Which is probably the greatest thing about this game, is the all the backstory behind it.  And the soundtrack is noticeably influenced by the movie version (a good thing).

Edit: So the whole spoken dialogue thing seems to be limited to story quests once you get out of Tortage.  But what I think I really like the most is that the mostly generic quests (there are a few good ones in there, and I'm only 22) don't really feel all that generic.  I just finished a fetch quest that had me collecting teeth so a guy could make a necklace out of them.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2008, 20:10 by Dimmukane »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2008, 03:49 »

How does the game mechanics work?

I saw a one year old preview, where the moving was the usual wasd with mouse to look around and the buttons 4-9 to use different attacks. Is it the same? and how does magic work? And the inventory/trade menu, is it good?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2008, 06:54 »

How does the game mechanics work?

I saw a one year old preview, where the moving was the usual wasd with mouse to look around and the buttons 4-9 to use different attacks. Is it the same? and how does magic work? And the inventory/trade menu, is it good?

1-3 are your attacks, 4-9 are ability hotkeys (you can change all this stuff in the controls), later you get two more attack buttons which go to Q and E by default.  I haven't made a caster, but from all accounts I've heard, it's more active than other MMO's, your spells have an actual cone or area of effect that you should be aware of.  As for inventory/trade menu, it's OK, I've seen better and worse, though.

clockworkjames

« Reply #13 on: 03 Jun 2008, 04:46 »

I have an assasin called lesbefriends on battlescar.

I have no idea how to do fancy pants finishing moves so I just hit things with daggers.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #14 on: 05 Jun 2008, 12:50 »

You're Norwegian, right? Dagbladet.no is creaming their pants over this game all the time these days, loads of previews there if you look in the games section.

Thank you!
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #15 on: 05 Jun 2008, 16:37 »

Shit, the more I hear about this game the more I want to break down and buy the damn thing.

I mean, it's fucking Hyboria.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jun 2008, 16:54 »

I've just found out about some of the stuff they're adding later.  They're gonna add voice-overs for 60 of the quests (1 for each level after 20) tagged as 'lore quests', plus redoing some of the dungeons and adding a new area.  And 'fixing' PVP, so to speak.  I think they've got 15 from me next month.

clockworkjames

« Reply #17 on: 05 Jun 2008, 17:02 »

I still don't get it, I am lv 21, killing wolves and surrounded by snow with my guildies who got me into it at LAN.

23 man guild [TEAM ROCKET]  daggerscar EU?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #18 on: 05 Jun 2008, 21:06 »

I'm confused what you're trying to ask...

clockworkjames

« Reply #19 on: 06 Jun 2008, 09:17 »

If anyone is on that server sorry, was late.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #20 on: 06 Jun 2008, 10:38 »

Nah, I've got a lvl 28 Cimmerian Conqueror on Bardisattva, a lvl 6 Stygian Demonologist on Bane, and a lvl 1 Aquilonian Assassin on Omm that I'm probably not ever going to play.  I was high and decided to make a female character to see if we could take their tops off, and it turns out we can.  I was expecting her to be wearing a bra, but apparently you can let your character run around in all of her jiggly glory.  Kinda Second Life-ish, but I'll probably end up deleting it sooner or later.

clockworkjames

« Reply #21 on: 06 Jun 2008, 21:33 »

Got a lv 14 assasin called lesbefriends, lv 25 guardian called Iliekmudkipz, lv 5 necromancer called velociraptor and a lv 2 bear shaman called Ursurang all on daggerscar :/

My assasin was my main but then my guild needed a good tank so I rolled guardian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up