THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toronto or Ottawa  (Read 4841 times)

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
Toronto or Ottawa
« on: 21 May 2008, 14:04 »

Hello all, I come seeking advice. Being my final year of high school I am preparing to move (far) away from home next and take up my post-secondary studies. I have acceptance to both the University of Toronto (St. George campus; Victoria College) and the University of Ottawa (A major in Economics for both). I am curious if any of you wonderful individuals have had any experience with either of these Universities or the cities themselves. I have under a week to make my decision but still find myself vacillating between the two options.

For those tl;dr: What do you think of Toronto and Ottawa?

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
Re: Toronto or Ottawa
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2008, 15:15 »

I'm not trying to sound like a douche or anything here, but is there any way you could like, visit the campuses within a week's time?

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2008, 17:17 »

U of T sucks. Real talk.
I like the way you work it.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2008, 18:22 »

COCKS!

I AM DRUNK AS ALL FUCK"

Uh, shit guys. I just found this post and I actually have no recollection of making it whatsoever. Sorry. The typing is pretty good though, I must say.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2008, 11:22 by Oli »

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2008, 20:02 »

I've already visited both campuses, and I greatly enjoyed both, but for very different reasons, which makes the decision that much more difficult. I'm looking for peoples' opinions of their experiences with the cities/universities.

Skibas, why do you think U of T sucks?

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2008, 20:46 »

Because I go there. Well, I go to one of the smaller, more suburban campuses, but I've taken a couple classes downtown. The people in residence are mostly pretty lame and your classes will be huge and packed with people you will most likely never meet/talk to.  It's just very big and impersonal and you don't get the benefit of getting to know your profs until you're in like 3rd or 4th year, if that. I mean, the location of the campus is a great place, but it's just a huge ass. Plus, the beurocracy of the place will dive you to near insanity, they're huge dicks when it comes to following their odd, and often student unfriendly policies. It's just not a very nice school for undergrads.  I'm pretty stoked that I went to a smaller subsect of the school because I still get really good profs and stuff in a much smaller campus.

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2008, 20:56 »

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I've been thinking it over for the past few days and was leaning towards Ottawa, I'm going to head to the bank tomorrow to get my residence deposit cheque certified... I got that vibe about the U of T res when I was checking them out, the posters all over the place screaming "3/5 Vic students don't have more than 2 or 3 drinks at a party" probably had something to do with it. That's not quite me.

Just curious, are you at Scarborough or Mississauga? And what are you studying?

orangepeas

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jun 2008, 19:42 »

Ottawa is just nicer, sure it can get colder there, but it's better then Toronto in many ways.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #8 on: 04 Jun 2008, 19:56 »

toronto is probably the university that ultimately will look better on your resume but the problem with the university of toronto, like julia said, is that it's just a fucking massive university and you end up packed in classrooms with hundreds upon hundreds of other students, and as a result it's kind of hard to get things like recommendations from professors after you graduate cos there's just way too many people there. it seems superficial but really i do believe your environment has a big impact on how well you do in university. i'm also going to guess ottawa's much cheaper to live in than toronto. to be honest i'd pick ottawa, as toronto at first glance seems more fun but after a week or so the fun wears off and you realize the city's really just a bunch of miserable people who hate their jobs jostling you on the subway.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #9 on: 04 Jun 2008, 20:09 »

Thanks for all the honest advice, I really appreciate it. I did end up choosing Ottawa and there were many reasons for it; Considering that I'm majoring in Economics/Political Science I figured there was no better place than the capital, I absolutely love the city itself and I really enjoy the modernism of the university. It will also make it much easier for me to learn French (which I'm required to do) and it's so close the Quebec and all that glorious skiing. Finally, the cold does not bother me in the least.

Symptom

• Plantmonster
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jun 2008, 08:51 »

Just wondering, had you considered the universities in Montreal?
2 of the 4 are english...
the poster formely known as gutyreader

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jun 2008, 17:08 »

Yes, how would it be possible not to consider McGill? The trouble arises with finances, attending a university outside Ontario makes the costs skyrocket which I can't afford. Though I am considering McGill for a Masters because that will cost an arm and a leg anyways and from what I understand McGill has an exceptional economics department.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jun 2008, 17:54 »

Just curious, are you at Scarborough or Mississauga? And what are you studying?

I'm at Mississauga doing bio, geography & possibly math. I don't really feel like finishing up my minor in math because it brings down my GPA hardcore. It's a pretty good campus, don't consider it if you don't like brown people though. Just a heads up.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #13 on: 08 Jun 2008, 17:54 »

don't consider it if you don't like brown people though

What an odd nugget of advice. Did I miss the thread where he mentioned belonging to the KKK?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #14 on: 08 Jun 2008, 20:15 »

I don't know but I definitely missed the thread where Julia said she was.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2008, 16:51 »

neither they both suck.....oh you mean this thread wasn't about hockey. If i was in that part of the country i'd say Ottawa but only because i haven't been there and it might actually be interesting.
*was getting tired of that slug*

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2008, 19:29 »

Hey man, I got nothin' against anyone, I'm just providing an important piece of information about my campus.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2008, 21:00 »

I hear the girls on Julia's campus totally put out.  That's just something I heard somewhere.

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jun 2008, 13:50 »

If I wanted girls that put out I'd stay at home and go to Western.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2008, 10:07 »

guelph is mostly known for being an agricultural college and they've got something of a rivalry with western. for a while there was a website that sold "i'd rather step in shit at guelph than sleep with it at western" shirts. you still see them on students occasionally. pretty terrible.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun 2008, 10:21 »

Yeah, Western had some "It's better to fail at Western than succeed at Guelph" t-shirts for a while themselves. Brutal rivalry.

brandon_ha

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #21 on: 29 Jun 2008, 21:57 »

Thanks guys you just made my decision for me. Yay for sluts.
Yeah punctuation sure is pretty pretentious. Look how fucking pretentious this post is, all with two periods and a comma.

orangepeas

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #22 on: 30 Jun 2008, 16:26 »

ah u of t-mississauga...I once had to transfer to a different bus there. It's definitely an interesting place.

I've heard that U of G is like 80% female.
Pages: [1]   Go Up