THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 09:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Spirit, as adapted by Frank Miller  (Read 6142 times)

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
The Spirit, as adapted by Frank Miller
« on: 21 Apr 2008, 15:22 »

Will Eisner's famous comic series will be brought to the big screen January 16, 2009. It was written and directed by Frank Miller. The rights were acquired and various potential adaptations have been kicked around since the 1990s, but nobody got the go ahead from Eisner until Miller did in 2006.  Filming began in 2007 with a cast that includes Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson and Eva Mendes.
Official website is here: http://www.mycityscreams.com/
Trailer can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEv7z9GeHdk

So far, I'm a tad uncomfortable with how Sin City the trailer looks, but I'm hopeful. Of course, we all know that Frank Miller has lost his goddamn mind. Still, one can but hope he kept his shit together long enough to make this movie.

Thoughts?

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
Re: The Spirit, as adapted by Frank Miller
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2008, 18:35 »

Code: [Select]
http://www.med!afire.com/?tyn4cm2swte

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2008, 21:19 »

I'm interested in seeing the result of Frank Miller directing on his own, but that's about it. He's always been something of a one-trick pony (although sometimes it is a decent trick), but nowadays Frank Miller seems to exist as just a caricature of Frank Miller.

Guess it goes without saying, but to see Darwyn Cooke involved in some way would definitely bolster my confidence.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2008, 22:53 »

I'm curious to see if it will be as racist as the old comic.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2008, 23:12 »

For the longest time I thought Ebony White was a monkey.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2008, 09:50 »

I'm a bit suspicious about Miller calling it Wil Eisner's The Spirit when he's completely revamping the visuals in his own image.  Honestly, I'm wary abou the Sin City-fication of the movie in general, but it seems even more dissonant to put Eisner's name in the titles while doing away with the Eisner's signature visual style.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2008, 14:11 »

There already was a 'Sin City' and another one is on the way. I really don't think we need a third movie with those particular aesthetics.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2008, 16:00 »

Couldn't disagree with you more.  I'd be perfectly happy to see 100 more movies in the Sin City style direct and literal translation from the graphic novel.  All they're doing is animating an already great graphic novel with the nominal use of real actors.  Although it will probably not have the emotional resonance of the original graphic novel, for a fan I can't see how these movies are bad thing.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2008, 16:07 »

Well, part of it, it seems, is that The Spirit wasn't the same style, in the comics, as Sin City was. So, it seems silly to do it in the same style in the movies. It's a great style for Sin City, but people wonder if it will work as well for The Spirit, which should feel much more campy or superhero-like. It's not doing a direct translation that is the problem, I don't think.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2008, 16:13 »

well, this could go one of two ways, based on prior excursions into similar territory.

1) it could be great. precedent: South Park doing traditional 'south park stuff' with other styles i.e. WoW or the ninja 'anime' episode.

2) it could be terrible. precedent: um...well, there was....uh...you know...OKAY I DON'T KNOW

in summary: i will probably see this movie regardless. so i guess we'll just have to see what happens?

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ikrik

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2008, 21:18 »

I'm personally wary because There are going to be AT LEAST 2 more Sin City movies and having a movie done in the same style as Sin City that isn't Sin City is....slightly worrying.  But then again, I absolutely loved Sin City and even though the acting was.....terrible and just ridiculously overacted the visuals were absolutely amazing.  So seeing something that has the same visuals is something that I look completely forward to.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2008, 23:06 »

If this was simply a third Sin City movie, I'd be fine with it. The fact that, as has been mentioned, The Spirit is in no way like Sin City the comic, especially not aesthetically, makes it seem gimmicky and contrived to use Sin City style visuals.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2008, 13:41 »

Lets make Sin City seem normal and par for the course!
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

the Goat

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Murder is my hobby
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2008, 21:33 »

I am not optimistic. I expect that, like Sin City, it will be visually arresting, but depressing if you watch it a second time.
The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

Ikrik

« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2008, 22:20 »

I am not optimistic. I expect that, like Sin City, it will be visually arresting, but depressing if you watch it a second time.

Oh man....you were depressed after you watched it again too?  For me it looked really depressing on a smaller screen but I guess you have another reason?  One thing I enjoyed about the DVD was I could see whichever story I wanted to see.....the exact comic-book story with all the scenes that were cut.

I'm going to wait for critics to see an advanced screening and read a few reviews before I start making real judgments.  And a trailer....I'll wait for the 2-3 minute trailer that will come out whenever it comes out before I really start saying whether or not I'll be supporting this film.

the Goat

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Murder is my hobby
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2008, 05:26 »

Oh man....you were depressed after you watched it again too?  For me it looked really depressing on a smaller screen but I guess you have another reason?  One thing I enjoyed about the DVD was I could see whichever story I wanted to see.....the exact comic-book story with all the scenes that were cut.

The first and second times I saw it was on a computer, and yeah, the small screen really didn't help its case at all. When I stopped being dazzled by the cinematography, I realized how....bad some of the acting and dialogue was. I know the base material is pretty cheesy in and of itself, but when I read the comics I thought it was just the right amount and kind of cheese. Second time watching the film, though, that cheese change from tangy gorgonzola sprinkled on an apple and walnut salad, into old velveeta on a ritz cracker.
The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

Masked Jedi

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2008, 15:12 »

Upon hearing about this I was ready to build a time machine and prevent Frank Miller from ever being born, but I saw the teaser, and the music and the scenes of him bouncing over rooftops brought nothing but Eisner-esque joy. So I'm mixed.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2008, 20:01 »

Although it will probably not have the emotional resonance of the original graphic novel, for a fan I can't see how these movies are bad thing.

I think if you look at the first half of your sentence, and then the second half, you will have a minor revelation.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ikrik

« Reply #18 on: 01 Jun 2008, 15:41 »

Although it will probably not have the emotional resonance of the original graphic novel, for a fan I can't see how these movies are bad thing.

I think if you look at the first half of your sentence, and then the second half, you will have a minor revelation.

That.....was a genius post, amazing sir, amazing.

I'm waiting for the new Sin City graphic novels to come out before I start calling Frank Miller a crazed maniac who needs to go far far away.  The stuff that he's promised to do, new Nancy, Dwight, Hartigan stuff has really peaked my interest and I'm totally excited for it IF he delivers well.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jun 2008, 18:24 »

Oh I get it so if the adaptation doesn't fully capture the spirit of the original, it's not worth doing at all.  The Watchmen is going to make you cry.  Like a little girl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up