THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Teapots, mugs, and other things of that nature that are amazing.  (Read 20247 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Not an asshole; but this is the only forum anywhere that I have been part of where people do not sign their words.  Also an oldie's habit, I guess, but I can try to remember to leave my name off if it offends you.

What offends me is the same amount of screen space (and more bandwidth) taken up by signature quotes that get less funny each time they are seen and get far more in the way of reading a series of posts; but that's the style of this place, so I don't complain.

<edit>OK, I've turned off signature display to deal with my annoyance too; which wouldn't have worked with my name as I type it each time (signing it, you see).
« Last Edit: 27 May 2008, 13:08 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

Let's please not derail this thread anymore. Things like this should take place in pms.  :wink:

I'm pretty disappointed in my local coffee shop. Its seems like they don't carry English breakfast anymore. They used to carry it, but now they only have British Breakfast. Is there a difference? It seems English breakfast is a bit stronger than British.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

There's not really any such thing as either; they're just names that people use when selling a generous cooked breakfast.  And they vary through England alone (e.g., you'll generally get black pudding in the north, but not usually in the south), let alone further afield.  I've been to a Welsh hotel that sold me a "Welsh Breakfast", which was the same as English but overcooked - but that may not be typical.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck

There's not really any such thing as either...

I don't think she's talking about the menu item breakfast deal, but rather the style of tea.  Unfortunately, I don't have any answers either.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

English Breakfast is a bland and mediocre style of tea. You're better off without it.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz

How is it different to 'British Breakfast"? Or is her coffee shop trying to be fancy?

I normally drink Irish Breakfast, which is stronger than English Breakfast, I believe. I also have some spiffy Blood Orange tea from The Tea Cantre, but it gets bitter very quickly, so I don't like it as much as I thought I would.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Paul, I gotta say that even though nobody else said anything about it, that description is completely hilarious.

and why is it that I want to try black pudding so much? Maybe its just some kind of morbid fascination of it, but when I was watching No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain and saw him eat it with that egg on top it looked pretty good. At least he made it seem good. Heck, the deep fried Hagus looked good in that episode too, so who knows.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

Yeah, all of the 'old people' I know (parents and grandparents) always drink tea when it's hot, saying it 'cools them down,' which I never understood

The human body senses changes in temperature, not absolute temperatures. By raising your core body temperature slightly on a hot day you can make your skin feel cooler.

@Pwhodges: Black pudding is a staple of fried breakfasts on the Isle of Wight, and seemingly fairly common in Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. Perhaps you mean a more northerly sort of south? I can't remember ever having a fried breakfast (outside London) north of Salisbury and south of York.

I recently discovered that the reason every time I order an iced coffee I am given some pathetic gruel-like concoction is because the forces of ghastly snobbish yuppie wankishness have decided to call a combination of vanilla ice cream, coffee and milk, which I regard as an iced coffee a Monto-Verdi-Pele-Mocha-Frocha-Frappa-Bappa-Parappa-The-Rappa-Cino, or something along those lines. I remember where it is on the menu of Costa Coffee. Only those fucking bastards make it with Espresso. NO! ESPRESSO TASTES LIKE SHIT! STOP USING IT IN EVERYTHING! AND STOP ONLY OFFERING AMERICANOS AS IF IF THEY'RE BLACK COFFEES! THERE IS A DISTINCT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN AMERICANO AND A PROPERLY BREWED BLACK FILTER COFFEE AND I WANT THE LATTER AND I WOULD ALSO PREFER IF YOU CALLED IT A REAL SIZE LIKE SMALL MEDIUM OR LARGE GODS I HATE YOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
« Last Edit: 27 May 2008, 22:49 by KharBevNor »
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

On the subject of tea receptacles, I have these which I inherited from my grandparents:

From my English grandmother, I have six cups and saucers like so:

And from my Australian grandmother, I have these two:

I use them on special occasions, and on Sunday (which is also known as "Attenborough, stroopwafel and tea day").

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation

Espresso is not awful if you make it right.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

Very dainty, Inlander!

Also, I agree with Storm Rider. Espresso is great, though taste-wise it is a completely different kettle of fish to other methods. Furthermore, it is the Best Way To Make Coffee. If it tasted bad, possibly you had a shit barista.

Also, for a while I thought Irish Breakfast tea was where they put whiskey in. Like the coffee...
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

KibBen

• Emoticontraindication
  • Nyom.

steeps tea based in vancouver, BC makes some of the most incredible loose leaf tea around. here's a list of everything they offer - i think you can order online from most parts of the world.

most are novelty flavours and they're a bit pricey but my god. highly recommended.

WRONG

Steeps is based out of Edmonton, Alberta! I know this because I go to the very firstest one all the time.

ALL the time.
Who travels back in time in an Alfa Romeo?

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

How is it different to 'British Breakfast"? Or is her coffee shop trying to be fancy?

I normally drink Irish Breakfast, which is stronger than English Breakfast, I believe. I also have some spiffy Blood Orange tea from The Tea Cantre, but it gets bitter very quickly, so I don't like it as much as I thought I would.

I'm kind a boring, I only ever really have Orange Pekoe (actually the proper grading).

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

I just don't like espresso that much! I prefer filter coffee! And Barista is a stupid fucking word stop being such an insufferably yuppie douche!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

Can we compare tea things now? I have lots.

Lines

• Awakened

I want to see your tea things! The only tea things I have are tea bags, so my stuff isn't interesting.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist

i stand corrected kibben! my housemate talks about them all the time and she has lived in both edmonton and vancouver. i just took a stab at it.

but don't they still make the best tea ever?!
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Sunday (which is also known as "Attenborough, stroopwafel and tea day").

:lol:

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

Espresso is great, though taste-wise it is a completely different kettle of fish to other methods.

I do not think that is an apt metaphor at all. It is not a different kettle of fish, it is simply a much richer kettle of fish. Instead of boiling the kettle, then adding chopped fish, we are boiling the kettle and shooting it through a filter with fish puree under serious pressure. It is still fish soup, just way more potent.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Lines

• Awakened

Either way, it still tastes gross.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation

Does not.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

I am sad that so many people here dislike espresso. My income depends upon people liking espresso, specifically my espresso.
Also I will take pictures of my tea things once I have done the washing up!

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

I do not think that is an apt metaphor at all. It is not a different kettle of fish, it is simply a much richer kettle of fish. Instead of boiling the kettle, then adding chopped fish, we are boiling the kettle and shooting it through a filter with fish puree under serious pressure. It is still fish soup, just way more potent.

You make a compelling and tasty argument.

Also, I had genuine Moroccan tea made by a genuine Moroccan the other day. It was pretty good! He basically stuffed a small mint plant into a tea-pot and boiled it with an absolute shit-load of sugar.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*

Also, I had genuine Moroccan tea made by a genuine Moroccan the other day.

Is that what they call it? I've been doing that for years, going into the garden, getting a massive bunch of wild mint, sticking it in a tea pot with a decent amount of sugar. I always just called it "Mint Tea".
Get off my land

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

Well, I'm sure they just call it tea. But he used a different variety of mint than the one generally used here for tea. No idea what either are called, but it definitely had a different flavour.

Noff

• Balloon animal serial killer

A friend of mine has this cheeky little fellow.  I'm pretty jealous.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

You make a compelling and tasty argument.

No I don't. We are talking about steamed fish juice here.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

Seriously, I've had some tasty fish stews.

Lines

• Awakened

A friend of mine has this cheeky little fellow.  I'm pretty jealous.

That's awesome!

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor

It's ingenious, I always forget about cups of tea until they're undrinkably strong.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master

I don't drink tea often, but I have developed a taste for Earl Grey, especially with a bit of lemon juice mixed in. I don't have anything fancy, just a pot that holds four or five mugs worth of water, plenty of mugs, and a few japanese-styled cups (you know, no handles, calligraphy-style painting on the side), but I don't drink from those since they are so small.

Iced tea is pretty much the definitive taste of summer for me, my mother makes a mix of peppermint and black tea, sweeten to taste (sweet tea is the one true tea).

edit: Oh, I always drink tea from bags, I think I had leaf tea once, but that was when I was four or five, don't remember it other than how we finally got a use out of that funny-looking utensil in the drawer.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2008, 21:05 by Nodaisho »
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

smellslikemagic

I drink this type called Red Label from Lipton that is only sold in Indian grocery stores, as far as I have seen.  It can be extremely bitter and you have to drink it with milk (we make a big deal about the type of milk we put in it too).  But if it is made right, with the correct balance of milk and sugar, it's absolutely delicious!  I like most types of herbal tea and earl grey as well, but most black teabag teas taste horrible to me; they don't taste as nice as loose teas, and they're a lot weaker!

I drink coffee when I really need to wake up/ punish my system, but it makes me pee too much and it makes my heart race.  Basically, I only drink it at college because teabag tea doesn't have enough of a kick and loose tea requires too much fancy-pants equipment.  As far as I'm concerned, a frappucino is basically like shoving a bunch of ice cream down your throat.  Tasty, but not that good if you want to focus.  And I always find tea pretty refreshing, even when it's hot out.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

It's ingenious, I always forget about cups of tea until they're undrinkably strong.

Undrinkable? Maybe it's just me but i prefer my tea as bitter as a double edged sword.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Lines

• Awakened

He likes having a bitter tea face mixed with a Chelsea grin, you know.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor

I'm not a big fan of bitter in anything but a gin&tonic, really.
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn

[quote author=ViolentDove link=topic=20172.msg661115#msg661115
Also, I had genuine Moroccan tea made by a genuine Moroccan the other day. It was pretty good! He basically stuffed a small mint plant into a tea-pot and boiled it with an absolute shit-load of sugar.
[/quote]

Oh yeah, yum. It is like hot wet minty sugar.
Ho, ho, ho!

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!

That may be one of the weirdest phrases I've ever read.

I am sad that so many people here dislike espresso. My income depends upon people liking espresso, specifically my espresso.
Also I will take pictures of my tea things once I have done the washing up!

WAITING.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor

Maybe she had a LOT of dishes to be done?

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

Maybe I went to work. Twice. I will do it now!

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What

Your tea supply pictures had better be good, or we will all be very very disappointed.not really. i am sure they will be great!

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

Gosh I just took some quick snaps of my teacups. I think you will be disappointed.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

I have something of value to add to this thread. Yay!

I got that from my grandmother, she got it back in the 50s from a friend of hers. As I don't drink coffee, there's none in it (I use it to collect quarters for laundry) but I still think it's pretty dang sweet.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What

It is.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man

I pretty much am fueled by tea, however I have no nice tea set.

I like how tea is good for everything, anytime. It always makes my body feel so nice.

Not to mention LEMONGRASS AND MANGO WHITE TEA...ON ICE WITH LEMON?! OH HELLZ YEAH SUMMERTIEM
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I discovered two types of tea courtesy of a friend: roibosh (I spelt that wrong, but basically it's red bush tea) and spiced chai. I bought some vanilla chai from the London Tea Company and it smells gorgeous, but I find it easier to drink when it's very stewed and mixed with hot chocolate. When I'm rich and independant (so basically never) I will buy all my tea from the LTC because it's organic, fair trade, tasty and packaged in very cool origami boxes. But their instruction to brew for "1-3 minutes" is crap; nothing less than ten will do.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.

People who are pretentious about tea = shit

People who diss tea = shit

People who compare tea and coffee like it's a 'this or that' thing = shit

People who have only ever tried 'pretend tea'* / teabag tea / western tea and therefore are bias against tea = shit

People who think they are hardcore because they drink coffee not tea = shit

*tea not actually from a tea plant but some other herb/plant.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

I just like tea.

What does that make me?

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.

being lunchy = rawk
est: she is basically an ass to everyone