THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 06:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am sick of Peter Molyneux's bullshit  (Read 15442 times)

dps

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: I am sick of Peter Molyneux's bullshit
« Reply #50 on: 23 Aug 2009, 21:15 »

Anyway, Molyneux's complaints are pretty shit. Fable's choices and consequences are almost entirely cosmetic and they have little or no impact on the PC. Choice and consequence in the vast majority of RPGs is all smoke when you really get down to it. Games like Oblivion and BG2 tend to be revered for advancing freedom and choice but the design of both games obscures the fact that there isn't really a choice beyond what order you deign to engage in linear quests, or whether you're going to be taking quests at all. Some games like Fallout 3 or Mass Effect include one or two Big Choices garnished with lots of linear questing. Gamers eat this shit up, and it's easy on the developers so good on them I suppose. Games that actually have choice and consequence tend to be rare, and they tend to be quite niche. Most recent one I can think of is The Witcher, which I hated but there are actual a lot of tough choices in the game.

Daggerfall, which came 2 games before Oblivion in The Eldar Scrolls series, was very good at giving the player choices that made a difference, and was very non-linear (unless you read the strategy guide and wanted to play the main quest in a linear manner).  Unfortunately, it was probably too ambitious a design.  It was very buggy, and while I'm not particularly big on graphics as an important element of game design, I have to admit that it wasn't particularly good looking even for its time (1998 release?) and definately looks crappy by today's standards.

Zingoleb

« Reply #51 on: 23 Aug 2009, 21:48 »

Sounds similar to a game I've been replaying lately - Geneforge. I love it. One of the games actually has four different factions you can join and pretty much anthing you say to anyone will change things in the game. (So far there are five in teh series ,and I have the first three)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #52 on: 05 Sep 2009, 00:06 »

Probably more like

Bioware > Bethesda > Lionhead > Squenix

but I have a soft spot for games developed by the latter two soooo suck it
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #53 on: 05 Sep 2009, 04:02 »

Although Square > Squenix.

Needs more SaGa and Chrono. Also, more 7th gen Parasite Eve.

Bioware would be at the top of my list, oh yes.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #54 on: 05 Sep 2009, 05:18 »

Sounds similar to a game I've been replaying lately - Geneforge. I love it. One of the games actually has four different factions you can join and pretty much anthing you say to anyone will change things in the game. (So far there are five in teh series ,and I have the first three)

SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS OF SPIDERWEB SOFTWARE GAMES YAY!*

The Geneforge games and the Avernum games is pretty much the epicest thing out there. More people should look at that design philosophy; solid gameplay, immense worlds with content everywhere, and interesting choices. The servile factions and later the other factions in the Geneforge games gives pretty big moral choices - does someone that's created entirely by magic energy deserve any degree of freedom?

*This is not a way too late reply at all.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up