THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 00:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Whatever, Let's Have A Goddamn Blog Thread, But Try And Keep It Reasonable  (Read 756807 times)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

I've been craving a bike trip for the past few days, unfortunately my bike got stolen this summer and I haven't the funds for a new one.

Depending on where you live, there may be a freegan bike workshop in your area! These places are awesome.

Blog,

I may be suffering from insomnia. Last night I was up until 5 am, lying in bed since 1ish trying to get to sleep. What are my options?

edited for glaringly obvious spelling mistake
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2008, 16:37 by StaedlerMars »
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist

don't watch tv or staring at any kind of screen for long periods of time before going to sleep. don't exercise or be physically active in any way before going to sleep. other things that help include chamomile tea, listening to calming music (but make sure you change it every time it doesn't make you fall asleep, or you'll associate that particular artist/song with lying awake next time you hear it) and reading really boring textbooks. i find my old statistics textbooks work especially well.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

Guys, I just finished my 2 hour Health Psychology exam in half an hour. I am also really happy with how I felt I went and am looking forward to at least a Credit in that exam. Also this means that I have just finished my Graduate Diploma in Psychological Studies and I now just have to wait to see how my application for the Honours program pans out. I've been feeling so burnt out the last few months I am just so happy to not have to study for at least the next 4 months. Shit yeah, holidays.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Well, that means I'm leaving my computer right about now.

Tea is probably a good idea. I think that's just what I'll do. Thanks!
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

tania

• famed sex columnist

yeah, apparantly it gets your brain activity levels way up which then makes it a lot harder to fall asleep.
another thing i forgot about but which i find helps is to try to do as little as possible in your room except sleep, so that you'll associate it with sleeping instead of wqorking or eating or any other activities. i learned that in a psychology class! FINALLY A CHANCE TO USE MY DEGREE

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Dear Blog Thread,

Do people actually go out and have fun anymore or do they just stand and pose for pictures where they make a tableaux representing fun?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

I can think of at least one night out recently where it seemed as if there was more people taking photos than there was people actually participating in the photos. It was a bit strange.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

I am actively not taking photos of things I do so that more people around the world can congratulate me on being a capable human being.

CarrionMan

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • The RP Syndicate

Because they make you laugh.
"I am accusing war. I am accusing man. I am accusing universal stupidity."

CarrionMan

• The RP Syndicate

Think of it this way: There is no one else in the world like you. Let others change you, and they've made a species extinct.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L

I am the other way re: photos.  I think that I do not take enough.  A friend of mine takes a lot of photos when he's out and about doing significant things.  As a result he has photos to remember his important events whereas I forget to do so and as a result only have my rather shithouse memory.

CarrionMan

• The RP Syndicate

Or, in simple, blockades(rather than walls) of text.

The media is controlling your perception. It therefore controls your life.

Too true.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

This morning I went to the doctor to get his advice on a couple of things that have been bothering me for a while. As a consequence of our discussions, he recommended I get a hearing test, and an E.C.G.

Actually the heart thing he said was almost certainly nothing to be worried about. Fuck knows I'll be worried if it turns out I'm going deaf, though.

CarrionMan

• The RP Syndicate

Hearing tests are fun. Especially when the guy says "Deaf" and it is impossible to distinguish from "Death". You sit there arguing with yourself, and he chuckles quietly.

I have to get a nerve test in my left arm. Wee. Needles.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L

Man, this gives me an idea for a thread

CarrionMan

• The RP Syndicate

No. No thread.

My depression has been going rampant this last week, up and down, up and down. Yet I have never gone to a professional. Maybe I should, maybe I shan't.

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What

Blog thread,

I am very very stressed out. this school has put me on the brink of losing it off and on all semester. I am just so tired. If it wasn't for thanksgiving coming up I don't think I would make it. Mentally, I mean. grade-wise I am doing just fine and everybody seems to think i am doing cool things even. I just have no space for mental rest, and if i do, i feel like i have forgotten to do something really important. It just hangs over my mind all the time. I cannot wait for Christmas break.

tania

• famed sex columnist

deep down i have a feeling what i have is some kind of major depression but i haven't seen a professional either on account i am terrified of medication and/or an official diagnosis, so mostly i just deny it and tell myself to try harder. i was in therapy for a couple of years when i was a lot younger due to being crazy and self-destructive and kind of suicidal and the thing with that whole ordeal being terrible might have something to do with my avoidance of professional help as well. the irony is that i currently volunteer as a counselor to other students! so they come in all distressed and i listen to their problems and tell them how to manage their depression and anxiety and give them advice on how to keep their lives together. it is so absurd that sometimes i really can't do anything except laugh. i am probably the worst candidate ever for this.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé

Wait, this is actually a chance for me to use my degree for once, isn't it? Okay, let's run this one up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it.
(a lot of really interesting stuff)

I'm saluting.  My parents took a lot of home video when I was between the ages of two and five, and I thus have consistent clear "memories" of special occasions within those years--including times I wasn't present and of things I was doubtless too young to remember.  When my mom went back to full-time work, my parents stopped renting video cameras, so the next several years are sort of an impressionistic blur (until I started keeping a journal and then a blog up through the end of puberty--my identity thus still being maintained through media both old and new).

It's bothered me frequently that, if I am nothing more than the sum of my memories and experiences, and a fair number of those memories are implanted by media (and yet others are altered or enhanced by it), I cannot put any faith in my individual selfhood.  Oh well.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor

I don't take pictures either, though a lot of my friends are the "OMG PICTURES!!!" people.

It's like... I could have a picture of me looking all raggedy and gross, or could just straight up say I spent my Saturday night puking at a terrible bar with worse sound where some bands I knew (one unintentionally trying to be the Cars, the other intentionally trying to be Chuck Ragan) were playing and some guy died outside.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

deep down i have a feeling what i have is some kind of major depression but i haven't seen a professional either on account i am terrified of medication and/or an official diagnosis, so mostly i just deny it and tell myself to try harder. i was in therapy for a couple of years when i was a lot younger due to being crazy and self-destructive and kind of suicidal and the thing with that whole ordeal being terrible might have something to do with my avoidance of professional help as well. the irony is that i currently volunteer as a counselor to other students! so they come in all distressed and i listen to their problems and tell them how to manage their depression and anxiety and give them advice on how to keep their lives together. it is so absurd that sometimes i really can't do anything except laugh. i am probably the worst candidate ever for this.
Perhaps I'm overstepping my (quite limited, as I don't know you at all) bounds here, but are you sure that professional help is exactly what you need? I suffer from some pretty heavy depression as well but I've seen a therapist every 2 weeks for 14 years now (that's 728 sessions, if my count is correct, which is 546 hours) and I'd probably say that the benefit I've gotten from my medication and from the visits themselves has frankly been rather marginal. I'm sure that you'll probably have better results than I did, as seeing the same therapist from 8 to 22 can make your therapist sort of intimidating and hard to talk to, but... do you have people that you can talk to who aren't professionals, just people who will listen? I was at about the lowest I'd ever been a few months back and what brought me back from the brink wasn't an emergency call to the good Doctor so much as the care and comfort of my best friends.

If your depression is like mine, a sort of "slipping" into a pattern of negative thoughts and feelings, then there are some things that helped me that I think might help you. For one, I took it upon myself to undergo a sort of simple cognitive therapy. I wrote out some things during a brighter period that I knew I was not thinking of during my darker periods. Just simple things, like "you are a good person", "you have worth", etc. etc. It's touchy-feely language that I find sort of juvenile but then the depressive thoughts I have are often equally as banal. I kept a list of these statements in my phone and I would read them whenever I felt bad, and it helped, somewhat. Another thing that helped was reminding myself that my feelings were transient. Often the worst part of depression for me was the terror in imagining that I would feel the way I did forever, or at least for a sufficiently long time that it would become unbearable. It was never the case, the feelings often didn't persist for more than a night and never more than a few days. As depression for me is very physical in the way it feels, pain in my chest and stomach, I came to treat it as a physical ailment to be endured more than constantly feared, and it made it more manageable as a result. Finally, if you're like me than your depression is often displaced, in that there will be something, an impending deadline for an assignment, usually, that will trigger anxiety i and cause a slip into depression. If you can bring yourself to identify the source of the problem and correct it, complete the assignment or whatever, it helps tremendously. In the absence of such a trigger, I've found that something constructive and time-consuming really helps. I make shitty acid house music, for example, and I love it.

Again, I can't claim to know you or the circumstances in which you find yourself, and you made your post without soliciting any sort of reaction or advice, but I wouldn't wish the way that I felt on anyone, and I hope that you feel better.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

RE Photo-ing: I don't ever really take pictures when I am out and about, and if I do bring my camera, there are 60 pictures of random things, and maybe 5 of my friends. And then my friends badger me to no end to post pictures from our glorious night out, and I finally do after getting 50 texts a day from everyone involved in the night, and some who aren't, and then they are all disappointed that there aren't really any pictures of them and the few that are of them are terrible shots because I like to take pictures of expressions, and I don't like to wait around for people to be pretty. I'd rather be a photographer than the paparazzi.

And all my friends complain that we need more shots of us going out. Why? I know we went out, you know we went out. We didn't do anything particularly note worthy. 90% of the time we are going to the city museum, or some party that isn't some big major event. No one really likes to plan anything fancy. Parties are mostly "I am bored. Wanna come over?" "Ok. I'll call soandso and see if they want to come over." and eventually they is enough drunk people standing around in a room talking to call it a party. I mean it's not like a big planned event. Why do we need pictures of it? Bragging rights to our underaged drinking on facebook? I don't see why it is important to document the fact that we are all 20 year old alcoholics, and potheads. I mean, yes I enjoy those times, but I don't see why I need pictures of them. Chances are no picture of me being drunk/high is going to express how I felt or what I was thinking at that point in time, and that's what I'd rather remember.

Dear Blog thread,

A friend of mine originally asked me to get him two games for Christmas. When he found out it would cost me $80, he told me not to get them. When I asked what he wanted a second time, he told me not to get him anything. After a bit of badgering, he asked me to get him a book. He wants the paperback edition, because "I dislike keeping track of hardcover books." Looking online, there were three different versions of the book printed. The paperback edition is roughly $10. There is a hardcover version of the book, that is signed by the author, available in a limited edition press, that is all super fancy and awesome, for $250. It is really awesome. I'd buy it for myself if I cared about these sort of things(truth is that I do, but there are only a few books I'd want all fancy like this). I'm only buying gifts for three people this year(aside from a family I am buying for, and maybe a few other people), but really only these people are getting these gifts. He happened to be one of them. I want to get them all something really special that they will really like. On top of that, I kinda get the feeling he didn't want me to buy him the games, or the hardcover version of this book(not the $250, because I doubt he knows about it) because he thinks that it is to expensive and too much money for me to spend on him. He once refused to let me pay for dinner for the both of us at a place once I told him it cost $50 for a friend and I to go there. But really, money is not a problem, and I'd much rather spend money buying something really awesome for someone than buying something for myself. I love making people really happy. The book is still available. So should I spend the $250, and buy him the super fancy awesome edition of this book? Or should I just do exactly as he asked and by the paperback edition?

TL;DR
Should I buy my friend, who I care about a lot, and who hates having lots of money spent on him, a $250 edition of a book that he wants for Christmas, or should I just buy him exactly what he asked for, the $10 paperback edition of the book?
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2008, 00:39 by Emaline »
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr

Emaline, I still haven't figured that situation out. My boy is the same and refuses to let me spend crazy amounts of money on him at Christmas time because it is our first Christmas together and he is just excited to wake up next to me and spend the day with me. What I wanted to buy him would have cost me $300AU for the present and shipping and he said not to get it. So now I have to figure out something as equally as awesome because he knows what it is now.

I have to get him SOMETHING but he hasn't asked for anything and refuses to let me spend heaps of money on him (which I'll probably end up doing anyway).
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor

Perhaps I'm overstepping my (quite limited, as I don't know you at all) bounds here, but are you sure that professional help is exactly what you need? I suffer from some pretty heavy depression as well but I've seen a therapist every 2 weeks for 14 years now (that's 728 sessions, if my count is correct, which is 546 hours) and I'd probably say that the benefit I've gotten from my medication and from the visits themselves has frankly been rather marginal. I'm sure that you'll probably have better results than I did, as seeing the same therapist from 8 to 22 can make your therapist sort of intimidating and hard to talk to, but... do you have people that you can talk to who aren't professionals, just people who will listen? I was at about the lowest I'd ever been a few months back and what brought me back from the brink wasn't an emergency call to the good Doctor so much as the care and comfort of my best friends.

Dude, I realize you're trying to help, but this is not advice that you should ever give to anyone. "Don't seek help from professionals" is just never, never the right thing to say. If it didn't work for you, okay, that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. But if a person can get a good therapist, they can make all the difference in the world. Of course a person needs loving friends just as much, and probably more, than any therapist/doctor, but the support of your friends can only take you so far--they can't really help you work out and solve whatever the root problems and causes of your anxiety/depression are. Medication is  a different matter; it shouldn't be automatically prescribed to everyone with depression/anxiety, and it doesn't do anything to solve the underlying problems. It can, however, serve as a tourniquet to aid in the healing process.

Sorry if that came off harsh, but it's exactly because so many people with depression and anxiety choose not to seek out professional help that a large number of suicides happen (not suggesting that tania is at risk for that, of course.) So, on the contrary, people should be encouraged to see a therapist. And if it doesn't work out, then at least you have tried. But to discourage a person is kind of irresponsible, in all honesty.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

Emaline, I still haven't figured that situation out. My boy is the same and refuses to let me spend crazy amounts of money on him at Christmas time because it is our first Christmas together and he is just excited to wake up next to me and spend the day with me. What I wanted to buy him would have cost me $300AU for the present and shipping and he said not to get it. So now I have to figure out something as equally as awesome because he knows what it is now.

I have to get him SOMETHING but he hasn't asked for anything and refuses to let me spend heaps of money on him (which I'll probably end up doing anyway).

Whenever I ask him why he doesn't want me to spend money on him, he says "I AM A MISERLY JEW!" Which I guess is true..? I don't know. He is Jewish, though he isn't very serious about it at all, and the second time we hung out he had to tell me how he fits into all the Jewish stereotypes perfectly.

Its such a lame excuse. You're miserly-ness does not mean that I cannot spend money on you! Complaining about me spending money on you makes me feel like you expect that I expect for you to spend money on me, which, fuck, by this point in time he should really know that I do not expect that at all. I pay for dinner whenever we go out more than half the time. In fact, the only time I think that he has ever paid was when we ate at this little place at the art museum, and I think it was like $12 total. I'm not complaining. It's really not a big deal. He is one of the few people that I do not mind spending money on.

Also, based on my very vague knowledge of your situations, I say buy him the $300, since he is your boyfriend and all. My guy is just my friend, so I don't know. In my head, that means I shouldn't be as willing to buy him fancy gifts...I guess...I don't know.

Or don't buy it for him! Because maybe he'll be all upset and it'll ruin his day, or make him think you are bad with money, or something!

Sigh. Why can't people just be happy when people want to spend money on them? This is too difficult.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Sox

• Scrabble hacker

I am still struggling to get over the fact that there is an entire continent where it's normal to have a shrink. We don't even have therapists in the UK, we just drink our worries away.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

The way God intended.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr

I can't get the original thing I wanted now anyway because he knows what it is. So I think I might just get a bunch of awesome stuff and wrap it all up in a big box and he'll have lots of things to investigate/play with on Christmas Day.

I dunno, I just love buying the perfect presents for people and seeing how happy they are with it.

For reference: I was going to buy him this: http://www.gadgetizer.com/2005/09/27/homestar-planetarium/
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I am still struggling to get over the fact that there is an entire continent where it's normal to have a shrink. We don't even have therapists in the UK, we just drink our worries away.

Well we do, of course.  I saw a therapist for a few months after my divorce.  It helped, as did one month on antidepressants, but in the end it was no more than a reminder that I have my own worth - which I knew well enough, but it was a good time to be reminded...    But the idea of having a therapist at the age of eight - I mean, what are parents  for?  How can they be so blind to what are surely (in nearly all cases) simply their failings?

Blogginess:
Now that I have finished the electric wiring, they are plastering the walls of our kitchen; tomorrow it gets a floor, and then the cupboards and so on get installed.  And there's water coming in to the ceiling of my bedroom.  Bleah.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé

But the idea of having a therapist at the age of eight - I mean, what are parents  for?  How can they be so blind to what are surely (in nearly all cases) simply their failings?

By the same token, the earlier parents provide a space for their children to engage in open, non-value-judgmental communication, the better.  And if parents recognize that they are unable to provide that for their kids, taking them to a therapist is a logical (and, I believe, ethical) next step.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

A good hard look might reveal that they (the parents) could do with the therapy to help enable them to handle their  responsibilities in bringing up children.  Children are not just a lifestyle choice.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

I can't get the original thing I wanted now anyway because he knows what it is. So I think I might just get a bunch of awesome stuff and wrap it all up in a big box and he'll have lots of things to investigate/play with on Christmas Day.

I dunno, I just love buying the perfect presents for people and seeing how happy they are with it.

For reference: I was going to buy him this: http://www.gadgetizer.com/2005/09/27/homestar-planetarium/

Ummm....

Hey! I have an idea! I will just be your boyfriend for Christmas, and you can buy me that! That would be a hella awesome gift.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé

A good hard look might reveal that they (the parents) could do with the therapy to help enable them to handle their responsibilities in bringing up children.  Children are not just a lifestyle choice.

I definitely agree with your latter point, but any real therapeutic regimen would involve both individual and family therapy.  I don't see where encouraging children to be open about their feelings and challenges is perpetuating the "children as a lifestyle choice" mindset.  In fact, isn't realizing that a child as young as 8 is capable of emotion and hurt feelings--and even more serious problems, such as depression and anxiety disorders--part of accepting one's parenting responsibilities?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

My parents dealt with my emotions and hurt feelings, and I dealt with my children's; and sometimes what was needed was being left to sort it out rather than intervention.  Granted that children can have more serious problems that do need treatment - but I feel that many (most?) of these instances arise from earlier inadequate parenting and/or lazy diagnosis.  OK, when things get really bad they need dealing with; but how much better it would be not to reach that point.

encouraging children to be open about their feelings and challenges

This need not lead to therapy.  I suppose the parents that go that way can't or don't want to  handle the feelings their children need to express!  Hence my remark about lifestyle choice...
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2008, 03:45 by pwhodges »

mooface

I mean, what are parents  for?  How can they be so blind to what are surely (in nearly all cases) simply their failings?

i have to say that, from personal experience, i agree with you.  my parents are kind of insane, and do and say a lot of crazy things.  when i hit my teenage years we would constantly get into really awful arguments, which were directly caused by their lack of control.  their response was to trick me into going to see a therapist, who at the end of each session would be disappointed in not having diagnosed me "yet".  after a few sessions she diagnosed me with "adhd and depression" and prescribed some pills.

through the whole time my parents placed the entire blame for my behavior on me, deciding that the reason for our bad relationship must be that i had some sort of insanity.  they refused to ever have a conversation with me about it or stop to think that maybe they were partially responsible.  they forced me to take the medicine despite my protests (i would pretend to take it and then spit it out) and considered the problem solved - i never even went back to therapy after that.

buuuut on the other hand i have really awful parents and actually don't think it's totally ridiculous to send a child to therapy if it's done right.  if parents realize that they are not up to the task by themselves and participate in family counseling, then i think it's a good thing.  it's just important that the parents are involved and don't just rely on someone else to solve their problems for them.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

But the idea of having a therapist at the age of eight - I mean, what are parents  for?  How can they be so blind to what are surely (in nearly all cases) simply their failings?
Now I'm not going to come out and say my parentals are all that great at parenting, they haven't been awful, they've never really been abusive, but they have always been and continue to be very remote. There is no great amount of communication, in fact in the cases where things should really be said there hasn't been anything said. It goes both ways but I'm the kid, damn it, it shouldn't be up to me. I remember a few times where we should have had a dialogue and my mom would say "talk to Dr. Siegel about it" or "talk to your father". She knows damn well I'm not going to talk to my father about anything. I don't know if it's because I'm afraid of talking or because he's afraid of listening but we just don't talk. It's only become apparent in the last few years how eerily similar my dad and I are, and it's no more apparent than in our general unwillingness to confront things.

I'm working on it, of course. Part and parcel of my problems growing up was an inability to really significantly address my many fears. But with my friends it's become different, because they've taken a vested interest in me and I'm very sensitive to how they perceive me. So I turned to them, because I didn't really have anywhere else to go, my therapist was not an active enough part of my life that he could really spur me to change. Tellingly, I told my mom that I was going to open up to these people and she told me "If you open up to them they will turn away from you." This incidentally is what I believed for most of my life, but hearing my mom say it I realized how utterly wrong it was. Among other things that's why I decided to not to seek the counsel of my parents from that point on.

I don't really harbor ill feelings for my parents (although you know, with these things, it's more complicated than simple good or bad feelings). God knows they've made some bad choices. But outside of the emotional void they've been as supportive as they could be. The problem now is that the void of emotional support is so gigantic that it's difficult to resist being way too dependent on my poor friends. It's like coming upon an oasis after weeks of being stranded in the desert, even if it's better for you to sip you're going to gorge yourself. But they are not my parents. It's hard.

Before, I don't know, I was always being told that in order to make things better you have to rely on yourself, and I didn't believe it at all. And it's not true, not really, you need a lot of things besides yourself, lots of support, but you can't expect things to fix themselves. It's just in my case I couldn't bring myself to really utilize the services of my therapist and it took my self-consciousness to be the motivator for my growth. My friends knew all about my neuroses and accepted them, but I couldn't stand being so sullen around them all the time, having them see me as the guy you always had to soothe before you had fun with him. And I realized that I basically had a choice between being sullen and having friends, and I enjoyed my friends enough that I chose to stop being such a sad-sack (coming out of my teens, it's hard to overstate what a sea change that was. Being depressed is oftentimes very comforting, in its way) and it's really shifted my entire being, over the last year or so. It's what my therapist always pushed me to do but I resisted him because I was afraid, and it took a desire stronger than that fear to overcome it.

tl;dr The point is, yeah, I come from a place of not really having effective therapy or fulfilling parenting, and maybe I'm not the best judge of such things. And I'm certainly not suggesting that therapy isn't worth it, that was not my intention at all, and lord knows that even for me there are things I have to share exclusively with my therapist. I'm just saying, you could be going into therapy expecting things that they're not just going to give you, if that makes sense. Just be sure it's what you need.

Sorry for the jumbling, it's after 6 AM. I should really consider sleeping.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2008, 05:15 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

KvP, I'm certainly not trying to say it was wrong for you; just exploring how some people get to this position.  If you feel that it has, in the end, helped, then that can't be so bad.

their lack of control.

The socialisation aspect of growing up and the associated parenting is about setting limits.  It is important for parents to understand that from toddler to teenager, the child is deliberately  (or better, naturally ) testing the limits, and it is the parents' place and responsibility  to set those limits - not control exactly, but drawing a line and keeping to it.  The idea that children are small adults, to be consulted and reasoned with in all matters has IMO caused a great deal of damage.  Which is not to say that they shouldn't be taught to think and reason independantly, of course!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Setting limits will definitely be my biggest failing as a parent. I care so little about what other people do.

tania

• famed sex columnist

most of my issues come from the fact that my parents become parents at 16 and had a really difficult time of it, so to get through it they completely took out all their rage and frustration and insecurities on their kids. they don't ever discuss anything and their solution to all problems has always been to shut up and deal with it. i understand their position and why they acted the way they did but at the same time i haven't really managed to forgive them and probably never will because i'm still struggling with a lot of issues left over from that. now i'm sort of guilted into staying in contact with them because they are miserable lonely people who hate each other and use me as a buffer to be able to be in the same room together. maybe it makes me a bad person but i'd really love to just be able to never see or talk to them ever again so that is kind of my current goal.
the takeaway message from this is please don't have kids if you are not old enough to know what you are doing because your kids will end up crazy.

Alex C

• comeback tour!

I totally harbor some ill-feelings towards my stepfather, but frankly, he earned it. Anyways.

Dearest grog sled,

I really hate Rachel Ray. You see, I couldn't get to sleep and went to watch some tv. Nothing much was on, but my brother had recorded some food network thanksgiving thingy which apparently heavily featured Alton Brown. Unfortunately, that stupid harpy was also on the show, and you won't fucking believe this, but she used extra virgin olive oil while making gravy. What the hell people? I know she's turned her stupid "EVOO" thing into an Emeril level gimmick, but holy shit. Does she not realize what a waste that is? Doesn't she realize the whole point of "extra virgin" is in large part due to the amount of heat the stuff is exposed to? Graaah!
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

And the whole point of gravy is to use the juices from the joint anyway.

Not that I've heard of Rachel Ray...

mooface

their lack of control.

The socialisation aspect of growing up and the associated parenting is about setting limits.  It is important for parents to understand that from toddler to teenager, the child is deliberately  (or better, naturally ) testing the limits, and it is the parents' place and responsibility  to set those limits - not control exactly, but drawing a line and keeping to it.  The idea that children are small adults, to be consulted and reasoned with in all matters has IMO caused a great deal of damage.  Which is not to say that they shouldn't be taught to think and reason independantly, of course!

actually i meant it more as in their lack of control over their aggressive behavior rather than their inability to set limits (although, come to think of it, they have problems with that too).

valley_parade

• coprophage

I totally harbor some ill-feelings towards my stepfather, but frankly, he earned it. Anyways.

Dearest grog sled,

I really hate Rachel Ray. You see, I couldn't get to sleep and went to watch some tv. Nothing much was on, but my brother had recorded some food network thanksgiving thingy which apparently heavily featured Alton Brown. Unfortunately, that stupid harpy was also on the show, and you won't fucking believe this, but she used extra virgin olive oil while making gravy. What the hell people? I know she's turned her stupid "EVOO" thing into an Emeril level gimmick, but holy shit. Does she not realize what a waste that is? Doesn't she realize the whole point of "extra virgin" is in large part due to the amount of heat the stuff is exposed to? Graaah!

Was that the one where Giada DiLaurentis baked mashed potatoes? I was hell of confused.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2008, 06:42 by pwhodges »

Alex C

• comeback tour!

And the whole point of gravy is to use the juices from the joint anyway.

Not that I've heard of Rachel Ray...

Yeah, see, it's just all kinds of inexplicable. I have no idea why you would really use a cooking oil when you're already using drippings or lard to begin with. I mean, I've made onion gravy with cooking oil instead of beef broth before, but extra virgin isn't even really proper cooking oil, it just tastes like crap once you heat it up very high. I am not a good cook, but man, she makes my head hurt.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2008, 09:10 by Alex C »

Lines

• Awakened

I think I'm going alone to a concert in two weeks. It's sold out and a lot of the people I asked to join me were on the fence. I don't really know what'll happen. Hopefully it'll be so amazing that I'll be too mindblown to freak out.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Alex C

• comeback tour!

Cool. Is it an orchestra type concert or more of a rock show type dealy? I'm thinking of going to the NIN/Boris show tomorrow, but my friends are being really douchey about it.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2008, 12:25 by Alex C »

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there

Dear Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg,

I'm probably studying abroad next semester.  In England!  I talked with my adviser and he told me that my tuition remission most likely applies to studying abroad (he has to check on a few things, but he's pretty sure that it works that way)  This means that I can go study in England for a semester for free!  I am extremely excited.  The college I am looking into is this one because it's the most popular choice at our school.  Does anyone know anything about it?

dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff

The man speaks the truth, everything is depressing here. This is why I drink so much.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

Thread,

recently got back from an exhausting trip which involved more time on a bus than at the actual destination. But hey, I expressed my displeasure and outrage with a terrible thing the U.S. government does (US Army SOA) along with approx. 20,000 other people, which is pretty okay. It is pretty frustrating though, because this is a protest that has become a scheduled event and doesn't really seem to bother anyone any more, not to mention the judicial system has learned its lessons and doesn't allow fuck all to be said about the circumstances, reducing an act of civil disobedience to simple trespassing.

Oh well. Learned a lot. Also: got a really cool poster

Arg I kind of wish I had a proper camera
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 82   Go Up