THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Whatever, Let's Have A Goddamn Blog Thread, But Try And Keep It Reasonable  (Read 740044 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

Fine okay whatever the people have spoken and that shit.

Today I got my iPod loaded with a bunch of songs, obsessively collected album artwork so that every song would have a purdy picture to go with it and replaced my external HDD which took a shit all over itself yesterday. Tonight I'm going to drive a friend of mine to and from the punk rock bar, the Manhattan Room, which is lamentably closing this weekend.

In all honesty, the last item is a damn shame. It was a great venue, it had a fantastic atmosphere, generally good sound, the people running it were smart and enthusiastic contributors to the local music scene and more importantly it was a great place to just go and hang out with punks, who are by and large some of the most fun people to drink with.

Ah well. One last concert tonight, and it oughta be a barn-burner.

Here's Tommy's original thoughts on the idea. Please look at 'em!

Quote from: Tommydski
This would require a certain amount of restraint and creative composure from everyone in order to work but I believe it could work and it would be a welcome addition to our little community. A blog thread would have to refrain from being self-indulgent or boring for it to be an acceptable entity. People would have to only post in it when they have something genuinely interesting that happened to them on a personal level. The focus would have to be on each post being an exercise in creative writing. Amusing, enlightening or informative posts would be welcome. Repetitive, self-serving and ultimately attention-seeking posts would not. This would require restraint on the parts of those who do not like the idea of a blog thread but as per usual they would have the opportunity to ignore it.

This has come to my attention after two weeks fraught with interest and having to re-tell the same story about ten times and wishing I could just post it somewhere and people could take an interest or not. A regular blog does not appeal to me and I notice that the other three forums that I frequent all have a blog thread without inspiring feelings of dread. It does work elsewhere, so I don't see why it couldn't work here.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2008, 19:26 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
Re: Whatever, Let's Have A Goddamn Blog Thread
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2008, 19:10 »

i just got a hairut so bad that i had to go back and ask for my money back. i asked for just below chin length with layers, side part. this is what i got.

it's over 2 inches too short, mostly one length, except for the shorter part on one side because she cut it parted center. i feel like a trianglehead 80s movie extra. i am very unhappy.

also, i got a haircut because i am starting a new job on monday. i have to live in santa maria for a month for training (too far to go back to my apartment so i'm staying in a hotel) and i am worried about leaving jason alone for that long. i really do not want him to live off ramen noodles ad burger king for a month. the boy knows how to cook, but i don't think that he would cook balanced meals for just himself. and now i kind of feel like his mother...

i am excited about the new job though! since i got laid off a few weeks ago i was really worried that i wouldn't find another job soon enough and i would have another summer of unemployment like last year. i still have so much debt to pay off from those few months, and it was such a depressing time for me... i was so scared i'd have to repeat that!
« Last Edit: 31 May 2008, 19:33 by yelley »
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2008, 19:35 »

my housemate's fish has been really sickly and on the verge of death for a really long time. he sits at the bottom of his bowl, doesn't eat, can barely move and has slowly faded from a reddish maroon colour to something resembling translucent white. nobody in the house knew what to do with it so today we decided it would be best to put it out of it's misery. we've never had to do anything like this before on account that fish usually just die on their own. she was really opposed to flushing it down the toilet because of the water treatment it would inevitably go through, so after a brief discussion we decided the best course of action would be to take it outside, dump out it's bowl and then crush it with a rock. after making our way outside we realized that in order to kill the fish as quickly as possible we'd have to make this a two-man job, in that one person dumps out the bowl while the other waits with the rock and just does the deed immediately after. that person ended up being me. even though this fish was really sickly and couldn't actually swim or do anything really, just seeing and hearing that tiny little body flop around and then being immediately turned to mush was one of the saddest and most pathetic things i've ever experienced. basically i hope i never have to kill any more little fish in my lifetime. awful.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Johnny C

• Mentat

Tania, what exactly was wrong with flushing it? It would have likely died before it even got remotely near the water treatment facility.

I can't quite stop thinking about the 'Hat so I guess I'll just share some brief memories of the place.

• Playing a Polymaths cover as Danger Bros.
  • Playing their Battle Of The Bands and losing to a surf-punk group that uses the theremin
  • "I live in a cold cold city" - scrawled on the chalkboard that replaced a mirror in the men's room
  • Seeing Bel Riose play to a crowd of, basically, These Estates after everyone who came to see the opening bands had left and start off with "I feel like I'm in a personal ad. 'Regina, I saw you the other night - I was wearing a brown shirt, you were a room full of people."
  • On the same night as the above item, playing Mclusky's "Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues" as a set closer and watching the bartender clap his hands in the air with the beat in the song's final measure
  • Seeing an improv skit where the running joke throughout was that the lead character, a male sports coach, had picked a favourite player on the team, and watching this joke escalate to a point where the coach brought up the favourite by his chin and kissed him passionately
  • Getting more drunk than I've ever been in my life on New Year's, kissing an ex-girlfriend on the mouth like a toad but not even caring because it was a fucking great night full of awesome people, great music and the most jovial atmosphere I've ever felt.

God damn I'm going to miss this place.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2008, 19:44 »

wooo blog

My mp3 player broke today. I have to endure 3 days without music.

Also I recently found out that one of my best friends has cancer (breast cancer, to be precise). She's apparently had it for as long as I've known her. Thankfully it's been in remission for awhile, but finding out sort of threw me for a loop. It makes sense, I suppose. She's different from me in just about every way, fearless and passionate and not interested in bullshit, while I'm timid and get caught up in little things. I could see how her personality could be explained by her brushes with death (she also served in the IDF, which she does not talk about, suffice to say that she has the same intolerance for glamourized and staged violence that I do for staged sexual violence). She does more things in a week than I do in 2 months. She also has a keen interest in me, which I do not understand. I've never really met anyone quite like her. Which makes the fact that she is leaving in a few months all the more distressing for me. She promises that she will keep in touch, but in my experience it's all too easy to underestimate the role that proximity plays in a friendship.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2008, 19:56 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2008, 19:45 »

i am excited about the new job though! since i got laid off a few weeks ago i was really worried that i wouldn't find another job soon enough and i would have another summer of unemployment like last year. i still have so much debt to pay off from those few months, and it was such a depressing time for me... i was so scared i'd have to repeat that!

So what's the new job? I hope it's something cool!

I'm starting a new job Monday too, although the situation is different for me. For instance, I actually have a couple sources of income already, and I'm taking on this new freelance job in addition. The money will be very helpful right now though, since for the past few months I've just been buffeted by one huge bill after another. Most recently for example, I paid a couple thousand dollars for dental work, and I still need to go back to get more done. I really really wish I had dental insurance.

Anyway, the job should be interesting; I'll be programming Flash games for a kids-oriented website. Plus, I'm mostly going to be working remotely, and only need to go in a couple times a week for meetings.

Johnny C

• Mentat

Thank God for Joe, otherwise this would just be a bunch of sad-sack cryin'.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Sorry I worded that all wrong.

Guys, I have periodontitis and I'm not even 30 yet. Not only do I have to be extra vigilant for the rest of my life to make sure my teeth don't fall out, I've been hemhorraging cash on all the dentist's visits. And this is after the ton I owed in taxes, not to mention an extremely costly visit to the emergency room. Man, it's a damn good thing I just picked up another freelance job to help pay for all this.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2008, 20:15 »

So what's the new job? I hope it's something cool!

well, it's pretty much the same job as i was supposed to have before; i'll be a food microbiologist for primus labs. it should be easy for me to pick it up, since i toured their lab facility and discovered that they use mostly the same food testing methods as my previous employer. considering that i wrote all the procedures for the last lab, one would think that i'd be quite good at them already. so of course i am extremely nervous. i'm going into a job where everyone expects me to know how to do everything already! even though technically i do know how to do it already... i'm still worried.

another good thing... the new lab facility, after i finish the training in santa maria of course, is less than 4 miles from my apartment! so now instead of scrambling to buy a new car, i am going to buy a bike and put that second car money towards paying off last summer's unemployment debt.

speaking of debt... i paid off one of my credit cards recently! i made one late payment last summer and my rate went up to 29%! i was making payments and getting nowhere... luckily i was able to use some of my severance pay to make that card go away. ^_^
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there

Congrats joe and yelley on your job superiority!!

A rather odd event happened in my life.  Some random woman called me up and told me she had my class ring from back in high school.  See, this was some 4 years back that I lost it and I just assumed that it vanished entirely from the earth.  But no, her son found it in an air duct in a boarding school I've never been to, ever.  Weird.

(Not that I really care about my class ring now, except for nostalgia)
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

... you had never been there? that is really odd.

i lost my college class ring. for reals this time... i thought i lost it once before, but my friend found it in a bag of lime tostitos a week later. yep.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

The only things that are a bigger waste of money than class rings are varsity jackets. I bought the jacket for the school I went to in Egypt, and I never even wore the thing. Try as I might, I cannot recall why I thought it was so important to buy it. I think it might have something to do with Michael J Fox and Teenwolf.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2008, 20:55 by jhocking »

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!

See, I never got mine, but I wish I had. Class Ring included. But then, I never actually graduated, so whatever. I do wish I had that fucking letter jacket, though. I'd never even wear it, except when meeting people who have, from my friends, built this image of me failing out of highschool, then college, then being jobless and almost homeless for over a year. Showing up in a letter jacket looking presentable would blow people's minds.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

Class of '08 at my school got their rings at the start of term and all 150 of them wear it with pride.

....wait, 'bout 10 are probably wearing it "ironically", I intend to do the same.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor

Class rings are such shit. After a few months they don't mean anything, and it's not like you can sell them.

Anyhow, I'm graduating on Friday, and I've just found out that I've got a 16,000 dollar scholarship to the college I'm attending for my vocal audition (500 some students auditioned; I won.) This is..I'm...wow. I guess I know I'm a good singer, but when something like this reinforces it, it shocks me, because I don't really think I'm that good. Further, thanks Professor David Cuthell at Georgetown University, a man I interviewed at length numerous times and is somewhat of a friend, it seems like two years from now I'll be participating in Georgetown's academic program where 20 students from colleges across the country live for a semester in a 17th century mansion on the Mediterranean Coast of Turkey, studying the Turkish language, culture, history and politics, and but mostly, extensive studies of regional events in Europe, the Caucasus and the Middle East, including week-long trips to Greece, France, Armenia, Israel and Syria.

So I'd say that on the whole, things are going in a pretty bright direction at the moment. It's been awhile since I've felt this outright jubilant.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2008, 02:01 by RedLion »
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Thaes

• Furry furrier

I graduated from high school yesterday. Yay me!

We had wondrous (and financially beneficial) festivities, followed by drunken shenanigans in the streets of Tampere. It was fantastically amazing.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Oh I forgot to mention the interesting walk to and from the barber yesterday. First off, the way there is down the street Wrigley Field is on, and just my luck a game let out right before I strolled past. The street was choked with people milling about, and a couple people even attempted to high-five me (nope sorry dude.) Also, it was hot. aargh

The walk back was much more pleasant, mostly because of the cute girl who needed help moving a dresser. I'm walking along and randomly someone down a side street calls out. There's a girl standing there with a small dresser, needing help carrying it down the block to her house. So I help her, along the way we chat, and afterward I go the rest of the way home in a good mood. I didn't even bother to ask her name, which was rude I suppose.

@redlion: That is quite a bit of money they are giving you. sweet

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

I have had a pretty fun weekend, guys!

Yesterday we had a little Flickr meetup at my cafe - another of our members (Gary) is leaving us to become a staff photographer at Daydream Island, so some of us met for coffee to say good luck. I am glad I went! Whilst drinking our coffees, Gary taught me how to the full manual settings on my camera, and how to use the flash properly to light my baking shots. We took pictures of coffee, and water glasses, and water pouring into glasses, and people's keyrings. Hooray!

After that I went to work, where we had a very nice little duo playing guitars in a sort of Ben Kwellerish way. It was a lovely night, the customers all seemed very happy! Also we have a new guy in the kitchen, he is a big bikie sort of fellow who seems to have taken a shine to me. It is nice to have someone to talk to! All of the other staff are a bit anti-nerd and into drinking themselves into oblivion, and it is hard to carry on a conversation when all I have to talk about are my photos and my Internet groups. I hope the new guy stays! He brightens up the night for me.

Today I went to a coffee festival just down the road from my place! They have it every year and it is awesome fun - it is a strip filled with indie coffee shops and handmade clothing stores, and everyone gets out and has street markets and DJs and crazy people in ridiculous clothing.

I met up with some people from Flickr again, and we had a great time! Whilst we were there I ran into my fabulously gay hairdresser, who grabbed my arm, ran his fingers through my hair and said "Wow, your hair looks great," then looked past me to where my boyfriend Matt was standing, perplexed. He honestly pushed me aside in his haste to shake hands with Matt. I tried not to laugh when Matt looked terribly embarrassed.

So anyway, I got lots of fun pictures! I also played with some settings on my camera that I hadn't fiddled with before, and got some, um, interesting results? I will post some up shortly.

EDIT: Here are some photos!

« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2008, 08:10 by Lunchbox »

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Goddamnit, I have just confirmed my end-of-term-nocturnalism theory. By the end of every term I have fully transferred to nocturnal sleep patterns. Held off slightly longer this time, but it is 7:11 am, and I am only now considering sleep.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Oh fuck I can't stop myself. . (I actually kind of got on the forum thinking it'd be good if someone made the blog thread because I have something to say and that'd be a good place to put it so...)

Dear people in America:

How the fuck aren't every single one of you way fatter? I mean let's not get into jokey "hurr hurr all Americans are fat and lazy and stupid" jokes, I'm really being serious.

I went to a market this afternoon and while we were there me and my girlfriend stopped off in a store that imports American and English chocolate/candy/junk food. Holy crap just the sheer depth of different varieties of all of the horrible foods is truly amazing. I honestly think I'd be 300lbs if I lived in America. As it stands I bought a big Hershey's bar, a bunch of Pop Tarts, some Jolly Ranchers and some other assorted stuff, and that's not even half of what I could've gotten but made myself put back on the shelf (I'm totally stocking up on Reese's Cups next time). I had a pretty unhealthy day.

Actually, now I think about, I've been pretty bad for impulse control in general the past couple of weeks. I have spent an awful lot of money and I have no idea how much is in my account. I hope I don't get a rude shock when I go to fill my car up with fuel in the next few days and my card is rejected...
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout

How the fuck aren't every single one of you way fatter?

The media imposing images of trim, tanned, and buff people as attractive, restraint, or in my case, metabolism.

tommydski

How the fuck aren't every single one of you way fatter?

I don't think it's just America.

I'm worried that people are going to think Tronnocon is a Fat Camp gathering or something.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

My mom just told me that she read the closest thing I have to a journal, then decided it would be a good idea to ask me about some of the stuff I wrote in it. Great work mom.

I was going to tell her about going to Tronno this morning but now I'm kinda pissed and I think I'll keep that from her as well. I know it's immature and not the best way to resolve the situation but I don't care.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

tommydski

Tell her it's a Fat Camp gathering.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

She just apologized and gve me a big hug.

Now I feel bad about not saying anything.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man

Today is my mother's birthday. I made her a cake.

However! Her boyfriend of 7 years proposed to her, right in front of all of us, it was so sweet and clumsily said but really really nice.

King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Today I met some German people who speak more English than I expected and who will be welcoming me into their home for several weeks and entrusting me with their children during the summer. This was exciting! I now have to decide if I want to go to the seaside with them (free holiday! Sunshine! Fluency in foreign language! Lots of small children to look after!) or honour a commitment made several months ago which is nevertheless merely a weekend in England. I am finding it much harder than you'd expect to make myself believe that it's an opportunity not to be missed, because (when is this not the case with teenagers?) the boy I am meant to be going to said weekend with is someone I'm very fond of.

But the really exciting part is that I'm going to Germany, whether or not I go to the seaside. And the flights are much cheaper than we'd thought, and my passport has arrived (it's inexplicably full of pictures of birds, presumably to make it hard to copy) so really things are going quite smoothly. Eeee! Holiday! Foreign places! Little children! I know most people wouldn't appreciate the last one but it's a major appeal for me.

Also today I dug four splinters out of my fingers. Four! There is not a finger on my right hand which was not injured in some way last week. I grated my index finger and thumb whilst trying to grate chocolate (and got blood in the chocolate), and then I fell into a gorse bush. My hand hurts.

Liz, won't your mum notice that you have disappeared to Toronto? Or do you in fact live in Toronto? I forget these things.

Drill, say happy birthday to your mum from the internets. Also congratulations. Sounds like she had a good day!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Aminal

Hey blog thread, try this one on for size.

I'm in a strange mood and I feel like nothing I'll say here will come out right.  But I'm going to go ahead and try because other avenues have failed me.  My boyfriend's mother was diagnosed with cancer two weeks after I met her, which was New Year's 2007.  Everyone panicked, she went through treatment, it was shitty but as of October 2007, she was cancer-free.

Well, she starts radiation therapy tomorrow because now it's been detected in her bones and perhaps lymph nodes.  It's hard to be clear on the latter because everyone is, once again, panicking.  I am several hundred miles away and each day I talk to my boyfriend about 5 times and struggle to distract him from how terrified and helpless he feels.  These discussions are good for both of us, but I need to recharge and somehow, when I did post this in my blog a few days ago no one had anything to say.  One person replied, and I'm grateful she did.  The blog is usually how I keep in touch with my longtime friends from high school and college, people who are very close to me and we're very good about reading each other's posts and staying up to date.  The friend that I'd visited with for hours the day before couldn't be troubled to hit Reply and type a few words.

I know this is scary and people don't know what to say, but I wish they had said something.  Anything.  I feel like I screamed something out and it just echoed away into nothingness.  I'm scared, but I can be strong for my boyfriend and myself if I just feel like I'm not so alone.  But it's like I'm invisible all of a sudden!  Will someone just fucking acknowledge that this is happening?  That's all I need.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Fucking friends, mirite? You'll be all "damn yo heavy shit is going down in my life right now!" and they'll be all "actually I'm pretty busy kthxbai."
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2008, 09:37 by jhocking »

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Cancer is terrifying, and I can see why it's even harder since you're miles and miles away. I believe that statistically people are increasingly likely to recover but that's not exactly very helpful when it's actually happening. I hope the radiation therapy goes well, that's a horrible thing to go through but anything's worth trying. Don't worry about your friends not being too helpful, they probably couldn't think of much to say or possibly didn't read it yet. It doesn't mean they don't care.

Chin up :-)
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor

Cock.

A group of friends of mine are renting out a house for the summer; today they're having a housewarming party, so yesterday they were cleaning up the place (it's kind of a dump, in honesty) to make it somewhat presentable. I was helping them out. In the basement was a tank filled with gasoline, for unknown reasons. My friends Seth and Nate were attempting to bring it up the stairs. Nate happened to put his hand underneath the tank and right onto a mound of spider eggs, with the "mama" spider sitting on them, which shot up Nate's arm, so Nate of course dropped his end of the canister, causing Seth to drop his. The top of the tank broke off, and the basement was flooded with a dozen gallons of gasoline.

I stayed there until 4 in the morning helping them sop it up with this gas-absorbing sand stuff.

I showered for 45 minutes last night, but this morning I still smell like I just took a bath in a barrel of gas.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Barmymoo

• Mentat

On the plus-side you have a hellof exciting story to tell.

I don't know how much use this'll be (since you aren't upholstery) but I found this which might help a little. Actually there are lots of sites that offer advice on how to get rid of gasoline odours. Yay for the internet I guess.

Johnny C

• Mentat

I moshed so fucking hard last night guys. I'm sad it's gone but at the same time it was fucking incredible. The last night there was as fun and as beautiful and as glorious and as tragic as any night I've ever been, but nestled in this kind of bliss that made it feel like it wouldn't ever end, that I would step out into the street and the Manhattan Room would come with me.

And I know, really, that it will. Every time a kid puts on a denim vest with a patch, every time someone plays a sloppy power chord and grins like it's the greatest noise in the world, every time that someone gets drunk on Calgary, every time that someone pulls someone else up in a mosh pit, every time there is so much as a millisecond of mutual recognition between two punks, every time that someone feels like they're a part of something and that it's great and that others must feel it too and so no-one can take it away from them, then that's the Manhattan Room.

The 'Hat is dead, motherfuckers. Long live the 'Hat.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

This thread was a terrible idea.

What's wrong with you people? Don't you all got blogs?

i have a blog. it is for knitting and crocheting and other yarn endeavors. it is not a place for lamenting bad haircuts and worrying about my childish boyfriend's nutrition.

Rolling20s

• Emoticontraindication
  • Panda loves you!

Doing some house-type work today. Mowing the lawn, cleaning, etc. The wife and I planted our garden yesterday. It's a little late in the season, but the weather has been a lot cooler lately, so hopefully our produce will, well, produce. We're trying to cut down on our food spending as much as possible, and the fresh veggies from the garden will help a lot in that regard.

Also, I'm spending some time setting up a web server for the first time. I've got a project that will, long-term, begin paying the bills so I can make it my full-time job. I've never set up a server or anything like that before, so it's bound to be interesting, especially once I get to the web design portion of the project.

Finally, I'm working on a D&D campaign. I haven't played in a few years, but the new 4th Edition rules come out at the end of this week, so some buddies and I will be getting together every Friday night to play. I've got the framework of the world mostly established, but I need to fill everything in. I've got until the beginning of July before we start, so that should be enough time to get things together and plant some good adventure hooks.

Anyway, off to mow!
Stephen Malkmus has entered my life. I... I never knew...

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout

This thread was a terrible idea.

What's wrong with you people? Don't you all got blogs?

i have a blog. it is for knitting and crocheting and other yarn endeavors. it is not a place for lamenting bad haircuts and worrying about my childish boyfriend's nutrition.

I think he was joking.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Johnny, I know the feeling! There was this little coffee shop place called Nighthawks that shut down 3 or so weeks ago. It didn't fit into the generic model of every cafe ever though. The interior was bare, stripped back, and terribly ugly. There wasn't really a ceiling, just the I-beams and the roof. The walls were painted a bright, cheap-warehouse yellow. The floor was a nice, smooth cement. Second hand couches were the norm. The owner always said it followed some post-modern architecture/interior design fad of the early 90's, but I think that was just a convenient excuse for being a hole in the wall.

But it wasn't only different in its decorations. The place was called Nighthawks for a reason--namely, it was only really open after 9 PM, and stayed open until Bryan, the owner, wanted to go to sleep. This usually averaged to about 3 am. There was a very small group of people that were pretty much always there. Occasionally you'd get a couple of new people, but on the large scale, it was this little community. I wrote an entire script there, a script I had performed several months later. I played my first show to a group of four people loafing on couches. Right after I broke up with my last girlfriend, I went there, and sullen, disgruntled, confused, and severly angry, I played the best game of Spades I had ever played. We talked about books and presidents. We sat outside on the curb, listening to the Chronic, chain smoking, and avoiding the owner's mother who was inside the building. I could go on and on--the place was very important to me, and at times, I spent more time there than I did at home.

It was shut down a few weeks ago, and for something completely asinine. I mentioned how there wasn't really a ceiling. Well, there wasn't any insulation at all either, and so Bryan had the landlord send someone in to fix this. Unfortunately, the landlord was kind of a cheap bastard and hired bottom line workers, and so the job was done completely wrong. The landlord said he would fix it, but this time at Bryan's expense. It would cost some 1500 dollars. As it was, the place was hardly making enough money to pay for the rent, let alone throw a spare 1500 dollars at something the landlord should have fixed last time.

Goodnight, nighthawks.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Lines

• Awakened

How the fuck aren't every single one of you way fatter? I mean let's not get into jokey "hurr hurr all Americans are fat and lazy and stupid" jokes, I'm really being serious.

We are, though. I'm pretty sure we're the fattest nation. But we have Reese Cups. It's hard not to get fat when you have the Delicious Wonder that is Reese Cups. I was genetically blessed with a shoddy metabolism, so that in addition to the crap food I eat makes me chubby. But I am working on this because I don't really like crap food and don't really like being chubby, so getting healthier is a priority once I get off of campus.

But for blogginess, last night I went to Semi Gloss, which is a semi-annual art show put together by students. I had a piece in it (second show ever!) and so did several of my friends. It was a good show! A lot of people showed up and there was live music and free cheap booze to keep people entertained. It was a good evening, even if it was unbearably hot in the building. And today, once I pull myself away from the internet, I'll be writing a paper on Diego Rivera. After this, next week I have one more paper due, one final, one critique, and one retake and then I am done with school. Hooray! Then my thesis show (well, my thesis with everyone else's thesis = thesis show) is the week after and then I graduate on the 14th. And then the week after is Tronnocon! Yay!

But then after my three weeks of happiness and excitement I come home to find a job that has some form of health insurance and hopefully dental. Because I will have none and I like being healthy.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Lines

• Awakened

It's because we don't like having high taxes, if I'm thinking correctly.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

It's because we don't trust our government to be competent.

Which history supports, I think.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

pi

• Plantmonster

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I took my car in yesterday to get my winter tires taken off and the summer ones mounted and they told me that the summer ones were all cracked and unable to be used, something they apparently failed to notice when they took them off last fall. Now I have to spend $400 on new tires! I do not have this money, as I am poor and jobless. I was going to just relax and chill for a couple weeks or so before I started looking for a job but now I think I'll start looking tomorrow. But today is my birthday! Maybe I'll get some money from people, that'd be very helpful.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

The dial that determines the AC temperature in my car broke off today. So until I track down a pair of needle-nose pliers I'll only be getting hot air in the car. Summer just started.

Hotttttttt.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

Quote from: Ozymandias
The rich would rather use the poor's money to kill the poor in other countries rather than give other poor people healthcare.

No, that's what Linds said.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

America needs a slave underclass to support their weight.

Get on it America!

You got prime slave material sneaking into your country every day, use it.

Johnny C

• Mentat

No, that's what Linds said.

I think Tommy pulled what is commonly referred to as "FYP."

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.

I need a cigarette, a vial of ketamine, three double g&t's and someone to make out with.
I like the way you work it.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

THIS IS MY BLOG POST

Guys, this week I've read every single Wigu and nearly all of Overcompensating.

I feel like Mr. Jeffery Rowland owes me something. Something intangible, but valuable.

THIS WAS MY BLOG POST.

I think Tommy pulled what is commonly referred to as "FYP."

Five Year Plan?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Styles

America needs a slave underclass to support their weight.

I wondered why people began referring to Blair as Bush's lap dog a while back.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor

Oh man the discussion of haunts that got ruthlessly killed off is making me nostalgic, for I too have endured that mightiest of pains (for those who are into having your own little punk rock community, or what have you). Ralph's Corner Bar in Moorhead was killed off by the City of Moorhead because of Eminent Domain. (Fuck you, Moorhead, and fuck you, eminent domain [fucking condos])

The rock kids (and old hobos) transferred to the Great Northern brewery/bar/new venue but then the electric company turned off their power... the night the Hold Steady were to play, so that show got transferred to the basement of the local VFW. A lot of Jag was drunk that night.

But that really doesn't have that much to do with me. I work with refugee kids (ages 5-13) from Burundi and I'll be actually meeting some of them tomorrow so that I can befriend some and get interviews. I am fucking nervous. I don't want to be all "SO TELL ME ABOUT SEEING MURDERS AND SHIT? HOW WAS THAT?" (I tend to get blurt-happy when I'm nervous) so I think I'll try to just color with them or something where we won't have to talk at first.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 82   Go Up