THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Whatever, Let's Have A Goddamn Blog Thread, But Try And Keep It Reasonable  (Read 740342 times)

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears

OK, bad stuff first. In the past two weeks I have managed to break my perfect life streak of never losing anything particularly important by proceeding to lose my wallet (about a week ago) and my phone (today). This is especially inconvenient given the timing, as I'm going to Amurka on Wednesday, and I have neither a credit card nor a bank card that can let me take out money over there. Also, I had a dream this morning about a girl I have had... feelings for for far too long which a) made me very happy until I realised it wasn't real, b) confused me, and c) made me sad for a while. Also, I realised how much I am gonna miss my folks when I am over there. Today is the last time I will see my whole family for three months. I think it's going to be even worse when I say goodbye to my housemates.

Of course, there is good news. Namely that, in three days time I will be in a hostel in Chicago. I only go to sleep one more time in Ireland. Understandably, I am rather excited. I am going to America WOOOOOOO. Of course, I would be even more excited if my original plans had worked and I was able to go to Tronnocon too, but fuck it. America! I shall yhave adventures! I will eat steak and lassoo cattle from horseback and other stereotypes. YAY!
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation

...You've never had steak?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears

Not an AMERICAN steak.

OK, so I was grasping for stereotypes and ran out.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn

OK, bad stuff first. In the past two weeks I have managed to break my perfect life streak of never losing anything particularly important by proceeding to lose my wallet (about a week ago) and my phone (today). This is especially inconvenient given the timing, as I'm going to Amurka on Wednesday, and I have neither a credit card nor a bank card that can let me take out money over there. Also, I had a dream this morning about a girl I have had... feelings for for far too long which a) made me very happy until I realised it wasn't real, b) confused me, and c) made me sad for a while. Also, I realised how much I am gonna miss my folks when I am over there. Today is the last time I will see my whole family for three months. I think it's going to be even worse when I say goodbye to my housemates.

Of course, there is good news. Namely that, in three days time I will be in a hostel in Chicago. I only go to sleep one more time in Ireland. Understandably, I am rather excited. I am going to America WOOOOOOO. Of course, I would be even more excited if my original plans had worked and I was able to go to Tronnocon too, but fuck it. America! I shall yhave adventures! I will eat steak and lassoo cattle from horseback and other stereotypes. YAY!

Wait, why aren't you coming to tronnocon? You can join the carload if you can get yourself to Fort Wayne on the Thursday am bus that Liz is riding in from Fargo via Chicago. Just sayin'.
Ho, ho, ho!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

I know that as of last night they've closed a couple of the southbound lanes of 90-94 near Mauston, which is just a little bit south of there. Dunno how the park itself is doing.

Quick update for anyone who cares: I did go camping this weekend, and the camp wasn't flooded or anything. However, flooding did affect the roads significantly, resulting in hellish traffic getting there (EDIT: what thehollow said.) Also, the camp was absolutely swarming with mosquitos. I mean, I've worked at camps and have never seen anything even near that bad; the air was literally darkened by the clouds of mosquitos. I sprayed on tons of bug spray and still got eaten alive.

The campsite itself was gorgeous however, located right by the lake. If it weren't so infested, it would have been great sitting out enjoying the view, or riding a canoe (they were available to rent, and we could launch from our campsite.) I'll have to find out if the mosquitos are an aberration, and if so go back some other time.

Now to go to the drugstore to pickup lotion to soothe the itching...

Wait, why aren't you coming to tronnocon? You can join the carload if you can get yourself to Fort Wayne on the Thursday am bus that Liz is riding in from Fargo via Chicago. Just sayin'.

Note however that she's crashing at my place for a night because of some scheduling issue. I don't know if that scheduling issue applies generally or just to her, but it's something to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2008, 18:51 by jhocking »

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

Now to go to the drugstore to pickup lotion to soothe the itching...

Joe, you make for the best out of context quotes.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Joe, the scheduling issue applies only to me, because I bought my bus tickets before other people changed their route.

So now that I have a place to stay that night (thanks!) I just have to figure out the best way to get from the train station to your place and then from your place to the bus station. Meh.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

So now that I have a place to stay that night (thanks!) I just have to figure out the best way to get from the train station to your place and then from your place to the bus station. Meh.

This is what cabs are for. I don't know about the bus station, but the train station for Amtrak trains is surprisingly far from the eL. Also, I suppose I should PM you my address or something. I live next to the lake directly east of Wrigley field.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2008, 18:54 by jhocking »

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

Man I wish I got to have a sleep-over at Joe Hocking's.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

95? I'm pretty sure it joins up with 85 in Nashville or some shit, doesn't it? blah blah blah also goes through Georgia and I like that bit, blah blah blah penis

I95 runs north along the eastern seaboard from FL, through GA, SC, NC, VA, DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, ME, and ends at the Canadian border. It never goes through any landlocked states, like TN.

Okay cool, thanks! I did remember taking 95 for most of the "Home For Christmas" trip my mom, sis and I took while my sister and I were visiting Mom in Arlington, VA one winter. I was asleep for a good 5 or 6 hours of it (I'd just purchased Dark Side of the Moon and had my headphones on most of the trip), so I wasn't sure if it swung through Tennessee at some point. I do remember entering SC at one point.

My friend Austin and I went to my first house party the other night! People asked me how old I was and when I said I was 19 they were like 'wat??? no wai ur 2 years older then every 1 here???" I learned how to play Quarters! It's a drinking game where you take turns in a circle trying to bounce a quarter into a shot glass full of whatever liquor is available. The guy right before me was driving (he was my ride) and therefore couldn't drink, so not only was he completely sober and nailing every fucking shot he launched, I was also drinking the ones that the guy before him (coincidentally, my old roomie from last summer) was making. Long story short, I was feeling no pain by the time the party wound down.

I got propositioned by 3 of the girls who were there that night, and even the massive amounts of booze in me couldn't calm down my silent freakout enough to keep me from saying "What in the shitting earfuck do you mean, 'let's go find an empty room', I don't even know your first name!" One of them told me her name and I ignored her and told her that I only had vaccines against TWO types of Hepatitis. I think I pissed her off but I was busy watching somebody get their ass kicked in Halo so I didn't care.

Long story short, Jack Daniel's not only is shit-tasting, but it doesn't kill my inhibitions, it just makes me a bigger asshole than I usually am. No other alcohol does that to me! It all just makes me stupider.

Liz, pull an Upper-Decker while you're at Joe's. Do it for me.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Joe, the bus station is at 630 W Harrison St. pretty close to the University of Illinois, and the train station is right on the north side of Millennium Park. I was thinking about the city bus to save money but I don't really want to be taking my luggage on a bus. Also it is going to be after ten when I get into Chicago, blah.

Are cabs as disgustingly expensive as I think they will be?
Liz is touching me.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Oh I forgot about that train station, I was thinking Union Station. The latter is way out of the way, but the one you're talking about is right next to the El. Depending on how much luggage you will have, that would be my recommendation; you can get on the Red line a couple blocks over from the train station, and then head north to Wrigley field.

Cabs aren't bad actually, but I suppose a cab all the way from downtown to my place could be a little pricey, like $30 maybe? I'm a bad judge of that really, I don't take cabs often. Maybe dennis would know.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Well, it looks like the train pretty much goes to Wrigley Field. How far away from there are you, and would I be safe walking said distance by myself late at night?

ALSO- I have been trying to figure out how to get from that same station by Wrigley to my bus station with a combination of the CTA website and Google Maps. It is not working. Can you use your superior knowledge of the transportation system in Chicago to figure it out?
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2008, 20:56 by Misconception »
Liz is touching me.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

I would totally come to Chicago and walk you to Joe Hocking's if that meant I got to hang out with Joe Hocking.
Oh and if you paid for my ticket and for fast-tracking my new passport as well.
Just saying I would.
You know.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

I live like a 15 minute walk from Wrigley field, it's pretty safe. To get from here down to UIC (which is near the bus station you say) take the Red line down to Jackson (bottom of the loop,) then switch to the Blue line and take that to the UIC stop.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

That's what I was looking at, but Google Maps was very misleading. That is probably what I will do. And whenever you send me your address you should include your phone number just in case I get lost or something.

Really I just want your phone number but this way it seems like I have a reason for it.
Liz is touching me.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!

Also, the camp was absolutely swarming with mosquitos. I mean, I've worked at camps and have never seen anything even near that bad; the air was literally darkened by the clouds of mosquitos. I sprayed on tons of bug spray and still got eaten alive.

Actually, some UW Madison scientists are predicting that all this flood water will flow south and carry a lot of mosquito eggs with it.  So Wisconsin should have a decent summer as far as mosquitos.  Illinois, on the other hand...

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.

I95 runs north along the eastern seaboard from FL, through GA, SC, NC, VA, DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, ME, and ends at the Canadian border. It never goes through any landlocked states, like TN.

I suppose that makes sense. Buck 65 is canadian and I guess I tend to get a more east coast sort of feel from him. I always associate him more with mcs from New York than people from the west coast.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*

One of them told me her name and I ignored her and told her that I only had vaccines against TWO types of Hepatitis.

That is fucking brilliant.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2008, 10:22 by ledhendrix »
Get off my land

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

All the mosquito bites on my face look like a raging attack of acne. wonderful

Actually, some UW Madison scientists are predicting that all this flood water will flow south and carry a lot of mosquito eggs with it.  So Wisconsin should have a decent summer as far as mosquitos.  Illinois, on the other hand...

they're following me home???
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2008, 06:07 by jhocking »

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I just got back from playing Civ 4 all night with some friends and I feel worse than during any hangover. As my friend Kieran put it, "I want to puke and shit at the same time." It was a lot of fun.
The person whose house it was is leaving tomorrow morning for a month long backpacking trip in Central America, so we won't see him for awhile. :(

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets

Dear Blog Thread:

Know what sucked?  Father's Day fucking Sucked!  My parents have been trying to seal their house for over a year now.    My housemate John, who's summer lodgings fell through and is/was staying at my parent's house for the time being, got a room with some of our friends.(About Bloody time)  Anyways, I go down to the house in the early morn on Sat.  I mow the lawn and vacuum the pool, like a good son.  My parents come over to meet with our realtor.  She wants x, y, and z done, "today," and she's going to have an open house "tomorrow" so I lose my Saturday to prying a "70's style" mirror and shelving unit off of a wall, to discover unpainted panelling underneath.  I think we broke enough mirror panels that the next thing was of no surprise.  We finish the chores, which requires re-painting five rooms.  The next morning, we get up early to go set up the air conditioning unit for the open house, none of use eats, cause it should be a quick and easy job.  It is perfect, up on the room.  Only need to oil the system and hookup the waterline.  I run down to turn on the water, and the house starts raining.  The waterline has more holes in it than all of the plot holes in movies this year.  We go get new piping, cut it, bring it up into the attic to attach it to the now cut old one.  But the old one is of different gage size, so we head back out to the hardware store, and get a new compression joint.  My dad crawls up there to put it on, and he falls through the fucking ceiling.  The leak caused the structural integrity of the ceiling.  And, the boards we laid up there, to walk on, as to avoid a problem like this, they break, and he fell through.  On Father's Day.  Luckily, he was fine, caught hold of a beam, and didn't get injured.  Well, some guy sees that we are there, and decides to come take a look at the house.  We call the realtor, and tell her to cancel the open house, but she can't unless she sees the damage.  This guy walks through the house, I hastily shut and lock the doors to where the damage is (Thank god it was contained to one room.)  The guy then goes off on some tangent about how he was at the house in March, and we were in the middle of tearing down a wall(never happened), and he's moving back here from out east and living with his 85 year old mother, and I'm instantly getting a feeling like we are about to be conned.  He finally leaves after half an hour of his shit (of which, I am ready to shoot him with a low powered air rifle), he then proceeds to drive up and down the fucking street, watching us.  The realtor show up 45 minutes later(she live literally 5 minutes away), and the guy stops and corners her, and basically holds her "hostage" for another 30 fucking minutes.  It is now going onto hour 5 and we still haven't eaten.  The attic space, even with its new hole, still reaches 180 degrees Fahrenheit.  We are lifting, shit, we are running down the ladder, turning on the water, cutting the hole to make it more square-like, cutting, and moving the fallen insulation.  By the time this asshole leaves, we are literally soaked in our own sweat, coughing from all the particulate matter that is floating in the air from the giant hole in the ceiling, starving, tired, and all kinds of pissed off.  he asshole also proceeds to low-ball us, by 20,000 dollars, and then , he wants to fucking rent the house out from us or 2 years.  After all the work we've done, fuck that guy.  Thank god everything only goes up from there.  I go home and take a 20 minute shower (the longest shower I have taken in something like 8 years), we get some excellent steaks from the grocery store, eat them, and relax.  Of course, today I am sore, and I have to get out of work/school early to get to the house and put up a new ceiling.

Love,
Kevin
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there

The waterline has more holes in it than all of the plot holes in movies this year.

Ha!
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

I just got back from playing Civ 4 all night

first of all: awesome!

"I want to puke and shit at the same time."

second of all: we call that "shuking" and it's surprisingly hard to do.

...not that i've tried it or anything.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor

Bloggus Threadus,

Janesville is flooding! Three of the bridges that connect the west side to the east side are submerged. That leaves only one open. And it's not even at its crest yet--all the water from up north is going to reach us tomorrow.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

schimmy

• The Tickler

second of all: we call that "shuking" and it's surprisingly hard to do.

I'm not suprised. When I imagine vomiting, my anus tenses.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!

Joe, the bus station is at 630 W Harrison St. pretty close to the University of Illinois, and the train station is right on the north side of Millennium Park. I was thinking about the city bus to save money but I don't really want to be taking my luggage on a bus. Also it is going to be after ten when I get into Chicago, blah.

Are cabs as disgustingly expensive as I think they will be?

Just to add to Joe's directions:

You will want to take the "Howard Red line" which runs northbound to the Addison stop, which is right next to Wrigley Field. You can buy a transit card from the vending machines inside the station. Trips are $2 each. $5 should be enough for the two trips you have to take, but be sure to keep some small bills on you if you somehow need to recharge your card.

---
Going from Joe's place to the Greyhound terminal isn't too bad. I would recommend the Clinton Blue Line stop, rather than the UIC-Halsted stop though. If you get off at UIC-Halsted, you'd have to walk further and cross the interstate, which isn't fun. The Clinton Blue Line stop is a block north and a block east of the Greyhound station. Depending on the time of day and train issues, it can take anywhere from 30-60 minutes to make the trip (not counting any walking you do).

And Google Maps isn't quite 100% on the locations of all the CTA stations, which is why some of the Red Line stops aren't showing up in the map, and probably why you were having so much trouble planning a route.

CTA system maps (You need the north side and downtown maps)

RTA Trip Planner which is pretty handy. Put in Start and Destination addresses/landmarks, and what time you need to leave and it tells you which trains and buses to take. It can give some weird results, but generally it is good. View any results that tell you to transfer more than once with suspicion.

Of course, the easiest thing to do is just take a cab. It'll cost about $15-20 and 25 minutes to get from Millennium Park to Joe's place via Lake Shore Drive and probably about $30 and 30 minutes to get from Joe's to the Greyhound terminal via Lake Shore Drive, Lasalle, and Wacker.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2008, 23:15 by dennis »

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Well blog thread, after 15 years of play I have finally figured out how to properly play Simcity 2000.

I'm pretty proud of myself.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart

Dear Blog thread,

So I didn't get that job!  Oh wells!  They told me they couldn't fault me, but the other one had exprerince in a job really similar. never mind!  Next time!  I wish I wasnt so tired of my job though!  On the bright side I got new boots and my OMG PWNIES shirt and Totoro beanie arrived from ThinkGeek today!  I hung out with areal friend and saw a movie, and got a hair cut!  So it has been a good day anyway! 
Many loves
Jodie <3
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!

So I just read the entire Tronnocon thread because I was entertaining the notion of a last-minute trip for the weekend, and Northwest even has some good last-minute flight-hotel packages for $500...

Still entertaining, but man...

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

Yeah, uh, sorry about that.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

In under $30.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I've often felt bad about leaving a job - but when it comes to it, it's your life, and their business.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

There is an extent to which you might want to be a nice person, but there is also an extent to which you might want to be getting on with your life and working a nicer job.
it's your life, and their business.

Working in a busy coffee shop actually really helped me to be more comfortable around people and it was a pretty decent fun job, minus the fast-food wage.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2008, 05:22 by Slick »

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

Working in hospitality is great! You can't be silly and shy when it is your job to approach people and ask them questions and make sure everything is perfect for them.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Spending a summer canvassing for donations had the same effect on me. For all the downsides of the job, one of the big upsides was that I got much more comfortable approaching random people and talking to them.

I've often felt bad about leaving a job

man I have the same problem. My fiancee pointed out that I shouldn't feel bad because if they had to they'd certainly fire me, but I still can't help worrying about creating problems for my existing employer. I have a tendency to let people take advantage of me.

This only applies if I actually like my boss (or at least don't actively dislike them) of course. Although this has only happened a twice in my life, there have been times where my distaste for my boss reached a point where I could not wait to quit.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2008, 06:42 by jhocking »

tania

• famed sex columnist

staying home from school, or the album?
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

Did it not occur to you to maybe listen to it at school?
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

tania

• famed sex columnist

i had to take a first year english course for my program and yeah it was basically the exact same. i am trying really hard to make peace with my judgmental side lately but seriously, how do you fail a test on punctuation in university? how do you make it to 20 years old and never have to learn any other language other than english (obv i am discounting those who learned it as a second language) and still not know the difference between "your" and "you're"? all the apostrophe basically does is shorten two words. i don't think that's overly judgmental, is it? i'm really only talking about the basic stuff you learn in grade school.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I'm writing program notes for some German songs that my choir is performing in a few days.  I couldn't find a translation of one of them anywhere, so I tried a couple of online translation sites.  Here's the two translations I got; I don't think they'll be running the world for a while yet:

Moon veiled his face,
sweet lovers, I zürne you not.
Will I zürnend betrüben Register,
Say, how could I love you then?
Hot for you my heart erupt,
no tongue's committed to you.
Soon in love nonsensical noise,
pigeon soon as gentle and deeply.

Moon euphemistically its face,
sweet dear, I zürne you not.
Want I zürnend you praying carrots,
speak, how can do I you then love?
Hot for you my heart is inflamed,
no tongue dir's admits.
Soon in dear intoxication unreasonably,
soon like Täubchen gently and intimately.

I particularly like the "praying carrots", but I don't know where the pigeon came from...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I would love to meet a praying carrot. Maybe it meant preying carrot? We should all be wary of our vegetables.

Today was tutor review day at college so I didn't have to go in (my tutor reviewed me last week and decided she would rather not have to pay for child care today). I spent the morning cleaning and making lunch, and the afternoon booking university visits and applying to stuff. I feel pretty proud of myself; I never normally make phone calls and I successfully rang at least six strangers and arranged all kinds of important stuff without any help from anyone else. Also I get to spend the summer in Germany and not have to worry about university because I will have done all I need to do! This is good.

The downside is that today, my Law teacher went on two weeks' paternity leave, and when he gets back I will have left for Germany and then it is summer. Which all means that I won't have another lesson with him for three months, and he's the best teacher I've ever had. Also he's the higher education coordinator, which would have been useful when applying to higher education. Ah well. The baby needs a daddy.

Anyhoo. I'm off to do something that isn't important, useful or boring.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout

Those lyrics are fantastic.

"...speak, how can do I you, love?"

Lines

• Awakened

No tongue's committed to you. Praying carrots. Hot for you.

Wow, badly translated songs are pretty hilarious.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

it's even more fun if you use those same shitty translators to translate it back to the original language then back again. it should be even worse...or if you really want you could translate it to a completely different language then back again.

hours of fun.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Herzapplikator

• Not quite a lurker

The "pigeon" should have come from "Täubchen", which is a cutified version of "Taube".

Would you mind posting the original version? I'd like to see where those bastardizations came from.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*

Dear blog thread,

Recently I have become environmentally friendly, at least more so than usual. I have been cycling the 10 miles to work and back every day. Last night I removed a rainbow trout (non native invasive species) from a river. Now all the little brown trout and salmon have nothing to fear. On the way back from fishing I stopped a car so it didn't run over a hedgehog and I waited there after the car moved round it till it got right across the road. I also found a glow worm last night, your not meant to get them round here. Climate change? They are pretty awesome things. They have an insanely bright green bit on the end of them. It would be really cool if we started getting loads of glow worms round here. If they could move quickly they would be the miniature ravers of the insect world.

That is all
Get off my land

benji

• Bling blang blong blung

it's even more fun if you use those same shitty translators to translate it back to the original language then back again. it should be even worse...or if you really want you could translate it to a completely different language then back again.

hours of fun.

This is the prologue from Romeo and Juliet, translated in to Chinese, and then translated back in to English:

"Two families, two in the dignity, in fair Verona, we lay aside our scene likely, from ancient breaks take pity on to new rebelling against, where civil blood causes the civil hand dirty. From these two foe fatal waist one to star cross' the d lover needs their life; Whole misadventured overthrows plaintively does buries them with theirs death parents' Conflict. Their death mark' Fearful paragraph; d loves with theirs parents' Continuously; Angry, which, but their children' the s terminal, does not exist can remove, the present is these two hours' Our stage transportation; If you have the patient ear's attendance, any here will lose, we will toil will repair diligently."
This signature is intentionally left blank.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Would you mind posting the original version? I'd like to see where those bastardizations came from.

Mond verhüllt sein Angesicht,
süßes Lieb, ich zürne dir nicht.
Wollt ich zürnend dich betrüben,
sprich, wie könnt ich dich dann lieben?
Heiß für dich mein Herz entbrennt,
keine Zunge dir’s bekennt.
Bald in Liebesrausch unsinnig,
bald wie Täubchen sanft und innig.

It's from Brahms's Zigeunerlieder; the words are in any case a German translation of a Hungarian original.

Herzapplikator

• Not quite a lurker

Ah, now I know what the carrots were supposed to be. "Betrüben" = to sadden, "Rüben" = carrots.

I would help you out with a complete translation, but it wouldn't end up being much better than the babelfish'd ones, I think.

valley_parade

• coprophage

I cut the very end of my left middle finger off at work today.

Figure I'll not be playing guitar for a week or so, until the cut heals fully.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 82   Go Up