THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Whatever, Let's Have A Goddamn Blog Thread, But Try And Keep It Reasonable  (Read 740762 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage

Queer Dog Head,

I went to a ballgame with my friend last night. While waiting for the game to start (hour and a half rain delay), he'd mentioned his face had been feeling numb for the past few days. The right side of his face looked a little screwed up. He decided to head across the street to the hospital and get it checked out. Two hours later (and a 3 run lead BLOWN), he comes back with the diagnosis of Bell's Palsy. =/

Which we both understood as "this is terrible, let's go to the bar". At said bar, I met up with some friends, and also saw what seemed to be every douchebag that I went to high school with. It's wicked rad when you can't really come up with an answer to "So what've you been up to?".

Needless to say, everyone got drunk and I need to track down whoever's got my Flogging Molly hoodie in their car.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!

Near fog bread,

I am not good at time management. I put the "pro" in "procrastination".
But still, I somehow managed to produce a version of my final thesis which is ready for hand-in at the exam office an entire day ahead of the deadline.

So I'm super stoked on that, one might even say stoqué.

After I hand it in tomorrow, everybody who toiled until the last minute shall congregate in the middle of my school's campus and get profusely hammered. The day after, I have to clear out my flat, the day after that I'm chock-full-busy with getting our ambulances ready for transit and on Thursday I shall depart for Iran.
No, not bringing democracy anywhere. Just ambulances.

I'm very thrilled about all this.
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

A guy I like and I went out yesterday. He bought me dinner, and cigarettes. Progress?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Lines

• Awakened

Unless there's cyanide in there or something, that's a silly way to go about it.

I say progress! Unless you don't like him anymore. (That's progress in a way I guess, though, just not positive progress.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Flog bread:

I've given you some Stockhausen - you know where to find it.

The aforementioned concert yesterday also included a world premiere and a UK premiere.  Stockhausen's last piece (he died last December) was a BBC commission for this concert: Cosmic Pulses (the 13th hour of Klang*).  From the program notes:
This work is pure electronic music, there are no acoustic instruments.There are 24 melodic (pitch and rhythm) loops, comprising from 1 to 24 pitches, in 24 different registers.  These loops rotate at 24 different speeds around eight loudspeakers.  The loops are successively layered together from low to high and from the slowest to the fastest tempo.  Stockhausen composed 241 different trajectories in space, and he wrote "I do not yet know if it is possible to hear everything..."
The answer is, no it isn't.  And although the basic sound is pleasant, it varies hardly at all during the 35 minutes of its performance - in short it is tedious, and completely lacks the sonic interest of his first experiment in spacial movement of sound, Gesang der Jünglinge.  Although Stockhausen spent 50 years working on spacial aspects of sound, he never considered the technology (ambisonics) which might have made an experiment like this latest piece work, or at least work a bit better then it did (I won't go into the deficiencies of last night's sound projection in detail).

The UK premiere was Harmonien for trumpet (this piece together with versions for flute, and bass clarinet, forms the 5th hour of Klang).  The trumpet playing was fabulous - but the extreme serialism of the piece again rendered it ultimately repetitious and essentially boring.

Maybe I'll come round to these pieces - but then again...

Paul

* Stockhausen wrote lots of pieces in sets, like his seven operas named for the days of the week (eat your heart out, Wagner), and this uncompleted set of 24 for the hours of the day.
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2008, 16:19 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Guys, I think we've reached Peak Things-That-Rhyme-With-Blog-And-Thread.

Smear Nog Said,

I got a call from my best friend today after a week and a half of unbearable silence. Also a girl told me I resemble Michael Cera (I think this girl was a little dim, bless her heart) I got a "nightclubbing" ringtone and instantly regretted making the purchase. I also bought MGS Mobile and it's surprisingly playable. I also watched In Bruges and felt vindicated for having maintained that Colin Farrell is actually a pretty good actor.

2009 is looking like a banner year for vidya games.
Peace.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

Queer Dog Head,

I went to a ballgame with my friend last night. While waiting for the game to start (hour and a half rain delay), he'd mentioned his face had been feeling numb for the past few days. The right side of his face looked a little screwed up. He decided to head across the street to the hospital and get it checked out. Two hours later (and a 3 run lead BLOWN), he comes back with the diagnosis of Bell's Palsy. =/

...Dude what the fuck? My brother, his friend Ben and I went to see Ignite a few weeks ago and Ben had been complaining of a persistant headache all day that hadn't gotten better with codeine. A couple of days later he went to the doctor because he still had the headache and he'd woken up with the right side of his face all paralyzed.
Fucking Bell's Palsy man.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Huh? As if the animals people eat aren't 'innocent'?

Eating is for survival. Killing an animal that would only be guilty of trying to do the same thing, if it had even killed our cat to begin with? That's like in Les Misérables, where Valjean has stolen a loaf of bread to feed his niece, and winds up with life in prison. Apples and oranges, man.

Fleer's frog bled,

Today, I saw new people in drive-thru. It turns out that there is an entire new family that just moved here after being transferred here with the Coast Guard! They were really nice and they gave me a good laugh while I took their order. Hopefully that will leave them with a good impression of this town, but won't leave them with high expectations that this town will surely not meet (I am a nice motherfucker).

The other day, I bought two books from a lovely bookstore downtown. One is a collection of about 370 haiku by Buson Yosa, and another is a collection of mostly 4-line love poems by the 6th Dalai Lama, Tsangyang Gyatso. He liked booze and women. I'll show you some of my favourites.

When young, we form our habits,
As a youth, I grew fond of beer.
When I die, dry out my bones,
And grind them up for yeast to brew more beer.

Another:

I've only known this girl for one day,
Shall we spend the night together?
In the morning, after we say goodbye,
Plenty of time then to be alone.

And my personal favourite:

When it comes to cultivating your mind,
Better to be like a donkey than a horse;
While the horse is still being saddled,
The donkey has reached the mountain pass!

Dude was a fuckin' rock star.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.

For an early birthday/Christmas present my boyfriend's dad are taking my boyfriend and I to New York for All Tomorrow's Parties Festival. The lineup looks amazing. There's still a slight chance that scheduling won't work out, but if it does, yay.

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!

I CAN HAS DEGREE

The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Fucking Bell's Palsy man.

Jeez, that sucks. Fuck Bell, and the palsy he rode in on.

Today I had to give a 30-45 minute presentation of selected recordings I had made in the past year of my course. I went in with absolutely no preparation (due choosing a poor day to wake up with a horrible toothache, I missed the day the assignment was handed out and didn't find out about until 4 days before I had to give it) and walked out with a mark of 90%, from essentially bullshitting my way throught it. The best part was I got marks for "not relying on notes."

Sometimes, things work out, I guess.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*

Fear the hedge thread

Today I nearly drowned. I was wading about in a river fishing, the river was alot higher than I am used to and I took a step to deep and slipped up. My waders started filling up and I was getting swept downstream. I hooked myself onto a rock and pulled myself back to shore. Luckily the water was pretty warm, or I would have been even more pissed. I think I may exercise more caution whilst fishing in the future, I don't really want to repeat that again.
I didn't even catch anything.

Get off my land

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

That is what you get for descending to the ground.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Nah, he just did it wrong. Pick the firm brown and green one, not the blue one that's moving around and gives way easily, genius.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

My boyfriend is going to the Wombats concert in Sydney tonight.
I am pretty bummed.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Dear diary,

Why did mediafire start sucking? Before it was the fastest uploading service I used, and now it's taking 5 minutes to upload 2.5 megabytes of information. What have I done to deserve this?

Also, I was recently exposed to the concept of Twilight and am now dreading the impending cultural saturation of vampire fiction tailored for preteen girls. At least all that vampire shit was tucked away in a niche when it was all LARPing and romance novels. It's going to be like Harry Potter but so, so bad.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

I saw a massively over-hyped Romanian film today. I guess that's bound to happen during a film festival, though.

On the plus side, my aim (twice thwarted in previous years) to see at least one film on every day of the Melbourne International Film Festival is on track and looking good! less than one week to go.

. . . Holy crap, I've seen 15 films in 12 days.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation

I don't think I've seen 15 films in the past 2 years.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!

Saw the Faint tonight. Good show! It was a lot of fun. They seemed kind of tired, though.

It was really fucking cold in SF but what else is new. I guess the weird thing is that when we got back to Walnut Creek it was also in the mid-50's. What the fuck! It was like, seriously, 90 today. WHERE DID THE HEAT DISSIPATE TO

Before the show we went to this tiny French restaurant and oh God it was so delicious
it's time to stop posting

Inlander

• coprophage

WHERE DID THE HEAT DISSIPATE TO

Was the sky clear at night? If there are no clouds to keep the warmth of the day in, the temperature can plummet once the sun goes down.

Also, Dear Blag Thread: today I received in the mail the newly-released D.V.D. of Josie Long's show Trying is Good. Because I got the order in nice and early, I got one of the 1000 limited edition discs, with a hand-written post-card by Ms. Long. It says "If you want something to exist, sometimes you have to make it yourself." Aww. Josie Long, bless 'er.

I was surprised that the disc arrived so promptly, as it had to come from the U.K. to Australia and I only ordered it one week ago. But then, things that I order from Amazon always come ridiculously quickly. By contrast, when my ex-housemate ordered from them, her stuff took forever to arrive. I think Amazon loves me.

Maybe it will be my girlfriend?
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2008, 03:50 by Inlander »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Always be wary of girls in debt, man.

Anywho, I decided that I am going to start watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, because I am bored at work. It's one of those WB shows that seemed pretty nerd...tacular but was also sort of embarassing, like Xena or whatever had Gene Roddenberry's name slapped on it at the time, or even the low-rent ones like Beastmaster or The Lost World, back when I was a kid. The effects and dialogue seem pretty cheesy now, but there's something irresistible about it that compels me to watch even when I'm not terribly thrilled by it. Perhaps it is the knowledge that somewhere behind all this is a dude with a head the size of a pumpkin.
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2008, 09:04 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Lines

• Awakened

Man, I came in to help out a professor clean the freshman studios and I've been waiting for 2 hours. I am going to start on a different studio and probably leave early. Yes, they were doing me a favor by letting me help out, but this is ridiculous.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

oh i get it

I just noticed this is still in my photobucket:

sean

• welp

Man, Ireland is such a rad country. It is nice and chilly and I love it. I can actually go outside and not feel like I'm melting cause its so goddamned humid outside. I also climed a huge mountain, crough patrick, yesterday. It was terrible to climb, but the view from the top was mind blowing. The land is so pretty here. I could just drive for hours looking at shit. It's so awesome.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears

Unless you did it barefoot you are not holy.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook

It was 105 Fahrenheit today, and I nearly passed out while driving (and I don't know why, because I drink a lot of water during the summer, but apparently not enough, I guess). Not a fun experience!

Tomorrow is the "celebration" of the life of Bobby Murcer, who played for the Yankees for a long time, and then was their announcer. It is being held at my church. I met the guy several times and he was a real cool guy, just really classy and nice to everyone, so I am glad I get a chance to go and experience it.

On the other hand, they are expecting most of the current Yankees roster, plus lots of old Major League Baseball players to be there, which is cool, but since OKC is still pretty new to the whole famous people scene, I kind of feel like it will just be a circus, and that there will be a lot of people there just to see ARod and Derek Jeter, which seems kind of ridiculous at a guy's funeral. Hopefully I'm wrong.

NarwhalSunshine

Dear Blog thread, today sucked. I found out I have Monday off so I can go to the Flaming Tsunamis' show except I have no ride and now I have to man up and ask the cute girl from Walmart that I've had a crush on forever if she wants to go.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

That doesn't mean it sucked, man.

That means it is kicking you in the ass to do what you need to do. It is necessary for you to have a decent life.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Inlander

• coprophage

Today's film festival diary:

Today I saw a Japanese movie entitled Gachi Boy: Wrestling With a Memory. It was awesome. Imagine Memento, only with less car chases and gun-fighting (and faulty internal logic), and more jokes and wrestling.
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2008, 23:47 by Inlander »

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

Today I sort of spent $120 on getting my hair coloured and it doesn't actually look much different. Oops.

I am going to see Dark Knight tonight with a dude from my Flickr group! This is good because I am trying desperately to make some meatlife friends. I have been getting really lonely lately, so Sad in fact that last night I created an OKCupid profile. Surprisingly I ended up chatting to two very nice local boys so we will see how things go.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

Dude what are you talking about
I have none of these skills!
Hence the desperate, pleading grope for any real actual people who will spend time with me.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

One of these days I'm going to move in with Jodie and then I'm going to make her move to a more reasonable part of Australia and then you will have her around and then you don't need other friends because she is hot. Also, I am going to tag along.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU

I just got a new laptop. :laugh:
It has Vista on it, oh well, right?
Wrong.
Fuck Vista.
Fuck life.
I'm wiping this piece of shit tomorrow and installing linux.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

Man, I don't know why anyone would ever want to do that to themselves.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Fuck Vista.

Holy shit dude, did you hear? The Senate stabbed the elephant-fuck out of Caesar.

Dear blog thread,

I have been having trouble sleeping. As in, I haven't slept at all in the last two days. I can't sleep tonight, either. This morning when I went to work I had to slam an entire bottle of NOS (the energy drink, not the gaseous compound) just to keep from blacking out. I don't know if tonight's insomnia is a result of this morning's consumption of what seems like bottled amphetamine or if my brain is just being a cunt and not letting me rest, but I do know that it fucking sucks.

One fun side effect was making verbal slips when I took people's orders at work today. I asked somebody if they would like any dipping sauce with their 10-piece McFlurry. I'm pretty sure I tried to take somebody's order when the fry timer started going off (the headset beeps when there is a car over the sensor, but it sounds very different from the fry timer). My manager couldn't even send me home 'cause the dude she was gonna call in wasn't answering his phone.

Tomorrow's gonna be awesome if this insomnia keeps up :)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L

Guys, Vista is pretty good, actually.

Anyways blog thread, I guess it's time we got acquainted.  Hi.  How do you do?  Formalities.

My housemate and I went to see Jimmy's band just like, an hour ago.  Well, 30mins really, but it started an hour ago.  It was really pretty good!  I have some undoubtedly crappy quality videos on my phone.  As soon as I figure out how to convert them into a format youtube likes and a way to upload them that doesn't take forever I will share!

sean

• welp

Unless you did it barefoot you are not holy.

I actually saw three dudes doing it barefoot. They are fucking nuts.

And besides, I'm not really into the holy thing. I'm more into the climb mountains thing.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU

sleep madness

I was awake all of last night too. Just couldn't fall asleep, no idea why. I feel fine this morning, but I'll probably hit a wall this afternoon.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

One of these days I'm going to move in with Jodie and then I'm going to make her move to a more reasonable part of Australia and then you will have her around and then you don't need other friends because she is hot. Also, I am going to tag along.

You can join me, I guess. I am moving in with Jodie so I can bake for her and maybe wash her dishes. In return I get free food and lodging while I visit sunny Australia!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

What do you want to go to Toowoomba for?

Lines

• Awakened

No no no guys, Jodie is moving here because I have to take her to the prom! She had a dream! It was of the future.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES

Blog Blog Blog,

I saw this woman walking and chatting on her cell phone.  It had a "hands-free" headset thingy, but it was the stupid kind with the microphone hanging on the cord that dangles from your ear, and unless it just happens to be pointing at your mouth, the other person can't hear what you're saying.  So she's holding the phone in one hand and holding the microphone in front of her mouth with the other.  Doesn't this more or less defeat the purpose of a headset?  I thought the idea was to free up your hands.

I wanted to tell her how stupid she looked, but she was on the phone at the time.  I wouldn't want to be rude.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist

a few years ago one of my best friends dropped out of high school and kind of disappeared and it was pretty worrying and then like a year later she turned up in bc running a film and production company with her new boyfriend. kind of weird, and we didn't talk a whole lot after that, but she is apparantly doing really well so that is okay!
i got an email from her today saying her and her guy are publishing a graphic novel that will include a whole bunch of collected art from different canadian artists and that she really wants my art to be part of this. art is kind of this thing i do that is basically just a hobby and kind of secondary to everything else in my life so having it described to me in an email as "spectacular" is pretty flattering! and the whole being published part would be neat too. i will find out more about this i guess.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

Can you please draw Vladmir Putin and Tommy as seals making love and send that to her please?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

That is excellent news!

Dear Blog Thread:

I think I got a job at an infoshop. Cool.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Lines

• Awakened

Tania, that's awesome!

Today I helped wage war on some of the studios today. Cleaning really messy rooms and emptying lockers is exhausting, but you know why I've helped out the past few years? Free supplies. I grabbed a ton of oil paint and stretchers for a friend and I got some nice markers, pad of Bristol, a bunch of pens, and random acrylic mediums and gesso. Basically a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff because people are silly and just leave this stuff around when they are told "take it or it'll be pitched."

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby

Kai.. where have you been?
Hate, rain on me

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Kai.. where have you been?

I go on obscene posting sprees and then disappear for a while and then come back.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

whoah that is heavy, glad you came out unscathed from that close call

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

I feel like a total tool 'cause I was about complain about being sick. In other news, I just woke up from an awesome fever dream involving anthropomorphic crabs, plate tectonics, a rather phallic peninsula, the Bed Sea, Heart of Darkness and a place called Isla de la Barba Almeja .
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 82   Go Up