THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Whatever, Let's Have A Goddamn Blog Thread, But Try And Keep It Reasonable  (Read 740147 times)

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

What really bothers me is "yoo-man" for "human" and "yooge" for "huge." My freshman world history teacher did it all the time and RRRRRRRRRRR arg ugh blecgkh

Lines

• Awakened

Dear Blop Throp,

I swear I will smash all the phones if people do not stop calling the store. And then I will throw them into the street for people to run over to make damn sure people stop calling.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

That is what I meant, and if that isn't true then I simply don't understand saying "an horrific" because H is a consonant.

Incidentally, the main word where I see people do that is "hotel" (ie. people writing "an hotel.") I'm not sure why, other than I guess "hotel" is probably the most common H word in typical modern day conversation.

I hear it most often with historic. I'm not grammatically perfect, by any means, but it's one of those things that drives me absolutely batshit.

Sometimes it is grammatically correct to write "an" before a word that begins with "h", like when you don't pronounce the "h" sound (e.g., "an honour", "I made an honest mistake"). I think people generally use "an" when the word in question has more three or more syllables (like "historic") too, but that is just personal preference.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Yeah, the rule is based on sound, not spelling (ie. what matters is whether the word is pronounced with a vowel first, not whether it is spelled with a vowel first; an example in the other direction is "unicorn" because that is pronounced with a consonant Y first) and that's why I assumed it had to do with different accents.

As for the 3 syllables thing, that sounds pretty fishy to me.
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2008, 09:01 by jhocking »

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!

I am all packed and on the way to the airport to jump continents, big-ass bodies of water and some timezones, too.
Depending on how this trip turns out, I may meet some of you in meatlife (with or without realizing) but if worse comes to worst this may be my last post. Like, ever.  :-o

And in this train of thought I have one thing to say to you.

I love you all.  :laugh:

(Everybody living somewhere in or at the Pacific ocean, send me a message if you feel like it. I'd like to come to meet and hang out.)
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

Yeah, the rule is based on sound, not spelling (ie. what matters is whether the word is pronounced with a vowel first, not whether it is spelled with a vowel first; an example in the other direction is "unicorn" because that is pronounced with a consonant Y first) and that's why I assumed it had to do with different accents.

As for the 3 syllables thing, that sound pretty fishy to me.

It is pretty fishy. It's not a rule or anything. I think it's just a habit people have adopted to sound sophisticated.
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2008, 08:56 by michaelicious »

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.

It is pretty fishy. It's not a rule or anything. I think it's just an habit people have adopted to sound sophisticated.

(I'm sorry)
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

HEY ABBOTT!

ADDITION: Funny coincidence because of the discussion about careers in music on the previous page, my fiancee just emailed me this link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/business/smallbusiness/27shift.html?emc=eta1
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2008, 09:57 by jhocking »

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

It is pretty fishy. It's not a rule or anything. I think it's just an habit people have adopted to sound sophisticated.

(I'm sorry)

o/

ZJGent

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Night Talk at Harvey's

Today, blogen throgen,

I ate some porridge, and then, a long while after, I ate some stotties and minces.
I felt the most Northern I have ever felt in my life whilst doing so.
I think the only way I could have felt more Northern is if I had called the stotties "barm cakes".
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2008, 10:19 by ZJGent »
[02:29] Danosaur: I'd Spektor your Regina.

BankHoldUp

• Emoticontraindication
  • Crescent Fresh!

Blarg thread-

My girlfriend found a mouse in our office last night. She asked me to to get it out of the house but won't let me build an unnecessarily complicated Rube-Goldberg machine to facilitate its capture.

How can I make her see that, clearly, this is only solution? Also,  I would appreciate any suggestions for design of the machine. I'm thinking seventeen separate steps would be ideal, as the room is kind of small. However, I can spread some pieces of the device out into the hallway if necessary.
Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely - Siddhartha Gautama

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

Mouse Trap is easily one of the five worst mainstream board games ever. Anything that requires fifteen minutes of bullshit setup before you even roll the fucking dice should'[ve been shitcanned before it got out of the planning stage. Mouse Trap and Grape Escape can kindly go fuck themselves.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor

Oh I liked grape escape! It was strangely violent for a board game.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.

Dear Blog thread,

I am at work right now.

After Leonard Cohen, I've worked the Kooks and Kings of Leon. Generally it's been a right riot..

And right now?

I'm working The Great Big Christmas Sing, which is basically a load of schools from the local area singing Christmas stuff until 9.

Bit of a step down, but at £7.25 an hour, who am I to complain?

Speaking of money...

I need to get paid.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Alex C

• comeback tour!

Thanks to the constant hounding of some of my younger cousins, I can slap together a mouse trap board really quickly. Granted, my hands have to move like those of a Marine assembling his rifle to do it, but I can manage it.

...But yeah, fuck Mouse Trap.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

tania

• famed sex columnist

yeah i don't think i have ever actually played mousetrap in my life on account that every single time me and my friends attempted, the 15+ minutes of setup would always be followed with "man, i don't even want to play anymore" by everyone involved and we'd just head for the super nintendo instead.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Blag blag blag,

Today, The Mail People gave me the little .05" allen wrench that I have been needing to install and adjust the original bridge on my guitar. The shitcunt who owned this guitar before me decided he was too big a tit to actually properly adjust the original bridge (fuck I hate stupid people) so he bought an aftermarket roller bridge that likes to re-adjust itself when I am not looking.

So the last hour has been spent re-stringing, tuning, intonating, adjusting bridge assey and saddle height, and various other shits that needed doing.

Now it sounds like a guitar with flatwound strings on it, and holy pre-sucky John Frusciante, Batman, what a gorgeous sound. SO MELLOW OH MY GOD I love it.

Now I am playing Cake and it is great.

Love,
Me

P.S. Tania go play Mousetrap right now
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Hay thar blag thrad,

I have an interview tomorrow for a new job.
FUCK YES.
Today I will resolve to get a haircut so that I look presentable.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Interview at another hotel, right? RIGHT????
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Actually, yes. Working at the hotel downtown. If all goes well, it should be a $3/hr raise for me.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I want your new job.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

Mouse Trap is easily one of the five worst mainstream board games ever. Anything that requires fifteen minutes of bullshit setup before you even roll the fucking dice should'[ve been shitcanned before it got out of the planning stage. Mouse Trap and Grape Escape can kindly go fuck themselves.

Also, 13 Dead End Drive.

tania

• famed sex columnist

so that's three of the worst boardgames down. what are the other two?
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master

Monopoly is great but it will tear apart families and friendships faster than anything else.

Alex C

• comeback tour!

The answer to Tania's question is Rap Rat.

It's bad enough to occupy both the 1 and 2 slots in the worst board games ever list simultaneously.
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2008, 13:14 by Alex C »

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

1st result (well sorta) when you google 'rap rat'
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/163958

The slogan on the front of the Rap Rat box states: "For kids who just want to have fun!" Well that pretty much describes any kid.

ADDITION:
out comes the much anticipated protagonist — a puppet rat with an annoying voice and a misguided confidence in his own charisma and rapping ability.
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2008, 13:19 by jhocking »

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

Man, Joe. Those people are fucking morons. How the Hell do you not "get" Scrabble? You put words on the fucking board. I may not be good at it, but I at least understand it. I also don't get how anyone could hate Trivial Pursuit. That game rocks.

Monopoly is at its most fun when you take it way too seriously. At my first apartment, my roommates and I had weekly Monopoly games. It got to the point where most of us were playing to fuck over someone else rather than actually succeeding (Which meant Jeanette, the one person everyone liked, pretty much always won), to the point some of us were trading real world goods and services (And before anyone asks, no sexual favors were traded, mostly just cooking, cleaning and food).

In the subject of GREAT board games like Scrabble and Monopoly, Cranium is one of the best things ever, especially when drinking.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff

In the subject of GREAT board games like Scrabble and Monopoly, Cranium is one of the best things ever, especially when drinking.

I can vouch for this, after playing it drunk last christmas. It was great watching my mother try to do charades while moulding little creatures out of clay.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

This is not a board game, but Mexican Train dominoes (preferably with like 6 people and a set of double-12) is fun as shit

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

Best board games:

Cranium
Trivial Pursuit
Battlestrip (I just invented this this weekend)
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Allybee

• The German Chancellory building

I am all for the classics but powergrid is really, really rad.

also, blog? I guess things are going alright if I'm mostly worried about the math quiz I bombed today and the party that I can't attend (poor timing and all that).
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2008, 13:39 by Allybee »
radical dame

Lines

• Awakened

Connect Four, Clue, Monopoly, Life, and Scrabble are my favorite board games. We have Connect Four tounaments pretty often, but other than that and Scrabble, I don't play them very often anymore. :(

Edit: I forgot Apples to Apples, but that isn't really a board game. Don't care, it's still awesome.
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2008, 14:07 by Linds »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

Scrabble is awesome, i keep it in my car so i can play it whenever the need arises.

and why has nobody mentioned Risk yet? because it's way too awesome for you, right? yeah, definitely that's it.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Alex C

• comeback tour!

What upsets me is that I have to go to target or to a specialty store to get my mitts on any decent board games these days. I was at Shopko the other day and they weren't selling board games so much as they were selling DVDs that quizzed you about shitty sitcoms.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

105%

This is not possible. Explain yourself.
It was an assignment that contained a predictive aspect to it. We were to predict the number of electoral college votes / number of states that were to go to each candidate in the election, as well as the results of the house and senate races. Extra credit was assigned for correct predictions. I was a little bit off on my presidential and house predictions but exactly right with my senate predictions. Hence, 5% extra credit. For practical purposes it adds 5% to some other assignment that isn't A+ material.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Lines

• Awakened

Blogginess,
Today, I bought this. If you remember me using this icon, then it's about time I got the shirt, I think.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

I am all for the classics but powergrid is really, really rad.

oo looks cool, plus looking it up on Amazon reminded me to ask my sister for Settlers of Catan so my family can play that on Christmas. Our usual game of Monopoly is getting stale.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Arkham Horror bitches.

Game's fuckin' huge.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Ugh, blog thread.

I hate my job today. I had to ask two people to reconsider how they speak to the public, while they stood there and made snarky, passive-aggressive remarks about the security guard not doing his job.

He was doing his job. They just didn't feel like teenagers should be allowed to have attitudes.

Teenagers have attitudes. Deal with it.

Fuck this.

Edith
Ho, ho, ho!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Just to briefly revisit an old debate (that was current when I went to bed):

Quote from: Shorter Oxford English Dictionary
An was frequent before a consonant to the end of the 13th century, before sounded h until the 18th century. In standard English an is ow used before a vowel sound (including h mute), e.g. an egg, an honour, and a is used before a a consonant (including sounded h) . . . In the eighteenth to the twentieth centuries an was commonly retained before an unstressed h (as in an historian and an hotel), because the initial h was often not pronounced.

Gilead

Balderdash with a bunch of people who've had a few is the best board game of all time (that doesn't involve removing your clothing).

Risk is horrible evil that takes way too long to set up, even longer to play and makes everyone hate each other.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Campaign  is even worse than Monopoly  for setting people at odds with each other.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Alex C

• comeback tour!

So, today I got to hear the story about the time my grandfather briefly considered drowning a lifeguard.

Apparently one summer my grandparents took their 8 children to the beach. The two eldest boys (15 and 17 respectively) were instructed to help keep an eye on the younger children and not swim out too far. Of course, being irresponsible idiots, they swam out pretty far anyway and my uncle Steven, who was 11 and a poor swimmer tried to follow them. Eventually Steven hit a rip tide and would have been in real trouble if not for the fact that my grandfather had been following his sons almost immediately after they took off (probably to threaten to drown them himself for blatantly disobeying him, but that's rather beside the point) and started hauling Steven to safety. Of course, Steven was frantic and clinging to my grandfather's limbs, so my grandfather ended up stopping at a buoy halfway to give Steven something other than his arms to hang onto for a moment. This was about the time the lifeguard finally arose from his blanket and started yelling through a megaphone to get off the damned buoy because that is totally against the rules. He apparently continued to berate them the entire time they were swimming back.
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2008, 15:43 by Alex C »

Inlander

• coprophage

So I had my ears syringed this morning. I'd had a lot of ringing in my ears, and I'd been having difficulty making out words when people were speaking to me, and I thought my ears were probably just blocked up, but when I went to my doctor (who's a good doctor) he gave me a referral and told me to book myself in for a hearing test. I did that, but the guy at the hearing-test place told me that before I had a hearing test I should go back to my doctor and get my ears syringed. So I did that this morning. Suddenly the world seems to have a lot more sibilants in it. It's disconcerting.

Also, I had my E.C.G. and that was more-or-less normal, but apparently the electrical impulses that control my heart are having difficulty getting through to one side of my heart. So now I have to wear a heart monitor and hope that in the 24 hours I'm wearing it my heart goes THBBBBPPPPPPPPTTTTT, which it does sometimes and which prompted this whole doctor-E.C.G.-heart monitor thing in the first place.

But the doctor still says it's very minor and probably nothing to worry about.

nobo

What does it mean to get your ears syringed? did you have fluid built up that needed to be removed?
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Inlander

• coprophage

No, wax build-up. The doctor gets a huge metal syringe (like the ones you see in horror movies that are meant to symbolise "BIG EVIL FUCKING CRAZY SYRINGE MAN"), only instead of being pointy it's pretty large-bore. The doctor fills the syringe up with water, gets you to hold a small surgical basin under your ear, sticks the syringe in your ear and basically squirts all the water in there. The water builds up pressure against your ear-drum, which forces the wax out. Then the doctor give you a tissue and tells you to tip the water out of your ear.

It feels rather like having a high-pressure hose blasted directly into your ear. Because I guess that's basically what it is.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82   Go Up